• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Travelers 2 |OT| - We don't need no White Knights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrovaxPSO

So I guess for Alicia, put points in Warcry or Raging Smash early on? Since the rest are just mastery and the ones you guys said are no good. And for Melvy, my first impression is to get another type of magic instead of putting more into Fireball right away since that jumps up the TP cost even more.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess for Alicia, put points in Warcry or Raging Smash early on? Since the rest are just mastery and the ones you guys said are no good. And for Melvy, my first impression is to get another type of magic instead of putting more into Fireball right away since that jumps up the TP cost even more.
Yep warcry and raging smash are useful all the way through end-game. Warcry won't be that great until its maxed out though and there's a bunch of classes that can learn it (including support classes) so it's up to you to decide if you want Alisia to learn it based on how you compose your party later (only need one person to cast it). Raging smash is basically a regular attack replacement move as it costs very little TP, does like 2x+ damage when maxed, and most importantly has an accuracy bonus (very important later) so upgrade that one without worry.

For spells frankly the basic elemental ones for magic users are mostly pointless imo and mostly to tide you over until a 2nd tier job. If you think you can survive until level 15 without spending any points then I would do that as everything you can get in a 2nd tier job is much better. The individual heal spell isn't bad though, and worth getting up to level 3 eventually for the best TP cost to HP healed ratio (cast time increases, however)

CrovaxPSO

Yep warcry and raging smash are useful all the way through end-game. Warcry won't be that great until its maxed out though and there's a bunch of classes that can learn it (including support classes) so it's up to you to decide if you want Alisia to learn it based on how you compose your party later (only need one person to cast it). Raging smash is basically a regular attack replacement move as it costs very little TP, does like 2x+ damage when maxed, and most importantly has an accuracy bonus (very important later) so upgrade that one without worry.

For spells frankly the basic elemental ones for magic users are mostly pointless imo and mostly to tide you over until a 2nd tier job. If you think you can survive until level 15 without spending any points then I would do that as everything you can get in a 2nd tier job is much better. The individual heal spell isn't bad though, and worth getting up to level 3 eventually for the best TP cost to HP healed ratio (cast time increases, however)

Cool, sounds good. I'll save Melvy's points for now and see how it goes.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Btw Parakeetman, if you make Yuni a Diva and get get her the self session skill + use two songs in battle (I think that's the only condition) you'll eventually get a skit with Fried where she explains how she does this lol:
Kinda terrifying to think of what it would sound like with someone singing 2 songs at once lol. But goddamn is that a useful skill.

Dorarnae

I know in the OP it says:
"A: Well it does help considering how much of the story is voiced, plus if you can't read and I mean read not just recognize characters you will not fully understand what all the skills are, which is important when you level up and need to distribute the earned skill point(s). But it is possible to play with no knowledge of Japanese."

But I'm curious if anyone here has actually played it with absolutely zero knowledge of Japanese. I'm looking for a solid vita dungeon crawler. I don't care about missing out on story, I just need to be able to sort out skills/stats/inventory/etc.

I figure it's one thing for someone with knowledge of Japanese to think it might not require Japanese, but I'd like to hear that from someone who actually has no knowledge of Japanese.

if you can read katakana, I think you can do it. I don't really know japanese, so I have no idea what's going on with the story but I can play...
this site can help too: http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www49.atwiki.jp/dungeon-travelers2&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www49.atwiki.jp/dungeon-travelers2%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D985

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hm a Mefmera figure just got announced

FIGURE-008979_02.jpg

Weird choice after Alisia, didn't think she was that popular
Melvy is potato tier popularity confirmed

Also we are finally in Gaming Community lol

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I know in the OP it says:
"A: Well it does help considering how much of the story is voiced, plus if you can't read and I mean read not just recognize characters you will not fully understand what all the skills are, which is important when you level up and need to distribute the earned skill point(s). But it is possible to play with no knowledge of Japanese."

But I'm curious if anyone here has actually played it with absolutely zero knowledge of Japanese. I'm looking for a solid vita dungeon crawler. I don't care about missing out on story, I just need to be able to sort out skills/stats/inventory/etc.

I figure it's one thing for someone with knowledge of Japanese to think it might not require Japanese, but I'd like to hear that from someone who actually has no knowledge of Japanese.

Truthfully it depends on how resourceful / patient you are. If you are one of those who stands outside crying in the rain because something isnt explained in a tutorial dont do it. Otherwise as doranae says it is possible with a little effort. This game is far more skill heavy than other titles so at least understanding what all the skills are would be the most important thing to look up using jp wiki sites and google translate.

Since this game you will have to pick and choose your own skills instead of them being automatically given at levels reached makes the emphasis on the whole having to take time to translate what the skills do larger.

Resetting skill points is done by set level increments makes it a little harder to constantly experiment and memorize what each skill does unlike other titles with predetermined skills where you can constantly learn generally what they are by using them.

Cool, sounds good. I'll save Melvy's points for now and see how it goes.

Thats what i did since her 2nd tier classes are far more useful than the starting one. Just a heads up later you will get a priestess so keep that in mind if you want to change her into one regardless.

For Alisia i still have some points into taunt but yeah its nowhere nearly as effective in this game than others. Though you can equip hate increasing items which will help.

Btw Parakeetman, if you make Yuni a Diva and get get her the self session skill + use two songs in battle (I think that's the only condition) you'll eventually get a skit with Fried where she explains how she does this lol:

haha ill have to try that.

Hm a Mefmera figure just got announced

Weird choice after Alisia, didn't think she was that popular
Melvy is potato tier popularity confirmed

Also we are finally in Gaming Community lol

Thats a pretty nice figure though id prefer a dark lord yae (´・ω・`)

Seems like GAF mods lately have been moving a lot of threads into the community section also known as the graveyard. Not like it effects our little band of bandits here in my OTs since its usually the same people anyways lol.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
For Alisia i still have some points into taunt but yeah its nowhere nearly as effective in this game than others. Though you can equip hate increasing items which will help.
Hmm it looks like they actually increased the pull rate on the move with patch 1.01. Not sure if it was completely broken before or they are actually balancing it.

Main reason I didn't recommend it was because the cover skill has a 100% pull for single target attacks as long as it holds. Seemed like a better alternative with the limited early skill points if you needed a tank type.

CrovaxPSO

What's the deal with these books you can make and equip on characters? Should I be making them as I can or waiting for something?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with these books you can make and equip on characters? Should I be making them as I can or waiting for something?
Make them as you go, just think of them as an additional type of equippable accessory. You can also sell extras but they are required for modifying weapons at the blacksmith later so I usually just keep them around.

CrovaxPSO

Make them as you go, just think of them as an additional type of equippable accessory. You can also sell extras but they are required for modifying weapons at the blacksmith later so I usually just keep them around.

Got it, thanks. I seem to be doing fine with cash for now from selling items I've identified, haven't had to think about selling anything else.

Parakeetman

Hmm it looks like they actually increased the pull rate on the move with patch 1.01. Not sure if it was completely broken before or they are actually balancing it.

Main reason I didn't recommend it was because the cover skill has a 100% pull for single target attacks as long as it holds. Seemed like a better alternative with the limited early skill points if you needed a tank type.

thank god that they are fixing it. at least its not like atlus and EO where taunt was literally completely broken as it did nothing and it never got fixed being a ds game. That was the most memorable taunt fuckup lol.

Yeah with the skill mastery at start is most def better to go with raging smash and save some points. Weapon mastery should be ignored till one knows what track they will be going on. Otherwise wasted points like with my monica when i played the psp one &#931;(&#12494;&#1076;<) was so much fun switching a class to find out previous skills got locked out lol

i need to go look up the patch notes.

Yeah you should have more than enough vault room to make 1 of everything just to have on record what a particular monsters book gives stats wise. the ones from bosses are just for fried.

CrovaxPSO

Another question, want to be sure since respeccing seems like something to avoid if possible. What are the good Spieler skills? A point in Present for Me seems worth it, but other than that I'm not sure. The TP costs of the others seems so high.

Parakeetman

Another question, want to be sure since respeccing seems like something to avoid if possible. What are the good Spieler skills? A point in Present for Me seems worth it, but other than that I'm not sure. The TP costs of the others seems so high.

that random attack one works good with the other skill high risk high reward that increases damage but drops def. though expect it to do nothing at times lol. there is a broken skill setup that you can do with those skills which can deal insane damage later on unless they fixed it.

weapon mastery is useful since it applies to all weapons and not just a specific set i do believe.

yeah its an odd class so the tp cost of her skills are high. you will constantly be feeding her with the maid due to that lol

yeah present for me is useful getting random junk every now and then.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Fleetness foot is a great speed buff worth upgrading to max eventually. Danger shoot has one of the highest damage potential of any move in the game when combined with certain later class skills, but it's sort of mediocre on its own. If you plan to keep using a character in the spieler job line though it's a worthwhile investment. Might be worth getting anyways since you have no other attack skill with Lilian early on.1 point of coffee break is also great for restoring &#12420;&#12427;&#27671; but not too effective as a heal.

Personally I didn't get present for me because bag space is a premium early on and I wanted to fill it up with equipment drops rather than items lol, but it's probably helpful.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
there is a broken skill setup that you can do with those skills which can deal insane damage later on unless they fixed it.
Yep this still works, used it to get through the last story boss lol. I don't think they'll change it since the entire joker class is sort of built around that gambling style of play with &#20999;&#12426;&#26413;

Parakeetman

Fleetness foot is a great speed buff worth upgrading to max eventually. Danger shoot has one of the highest damage potential of any move in the game when combined with certain later class skills, but it's sort of mediocre on its own. If you plan to keep using a character in the spieler job line though it's a worthwhile investment. Might be worth getting anyways since you have no other attack skill with Lilian early on.1 point of coffee break is also great for restoring &#12420;&#12427;&#27671; but not too effective as a heal.

Personally I didn't get present for me because bag space is a premium early on and I wanted to fill it up with equipment drops rather than items lol, but it's probably helpful.

im glad she kept finding those status recovery leaves due to all the status effects this game has. esp the traps lol. i think tgd first level she will find croissants and the status recovery leaves. so as long as you are carrying one of each it will stack

Parakeetman

Yep this still works, used it to get through the last story boss lol. I don't think they'll change it since the entire joker class is sort of built around that gambling style of play with &#20999;&#12426;&#26413;

im still wondering if that wheel of fortune skill is worth it always skipped it.

one useful skill one of the subclasses that uses an axe gets is the one that does single frontrow and left and right of front row target damage and def down. Used that skill a lot on the damned physical resist enemies that show up all over later.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yep never got that one either since I remember the SP cost was huge and there were too many other useful skills to be pumping at the time. I kind of just plowed through the phys resist enemies (and most other mob types) using Bishop Melvy's non-elemental magic nuke lol.

So I've been wandering down a dark and slippery slope for the last 4 days and trying to crown Lilian. Halfway there (&#12541;´&#969;`)

Supposedly once I have a crowned Papillon I should be able to use a specific grinding spot to get a character from 1 to 60 in 20 minutes, which will help a ton with the job doors. Also figure I'll get the 20k enemies trophy to pop this way too. Probably the 2nd most soul crushing thing I've done in a game lol.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think I ended up just winning by attrition on that fight with my Etoile's salsa dance since it costs 0 TP. Kept everyone else alive with items. One of the Etoile's passive skills also cancels out her TP drain dance when it activates too, was really invaluable in that fight.

Can't wait till you get to the first boss in the next dungeon. That one was a real wall.

CrovaxPSO

How do the effects on armor work? This shield has DEF down, but +2 higher DEF than the shield I have equipped. Equipping it shows it will raise my DEF by 2, so what does the DEF down mean? Probably missing something obvious.

VRGiRnA.jpg

Parakeetman

How do the effects on armor work? This shield has DEF down, but +2 higher DEF than the shield I have equipped. Equipping it shows it will raise my DEF by 2, so what does the DEF down mean? Probably missing something obvious.

VRGiRnA.jpg

its just lower than whag it normally would be and just happens to be higher than your current shields stats lol

CrovaxPSO

its just lower than whag it normally would be and just happens to be higher than your current shields stats lol

Ohh, so it's a trait for the item rather than an effect on the character you equip it on. Duh.

Not sure if if I got lucky or if it's common but I got a hat for Melvy that restores a few TP every turn. Gives me plenty of TP to heal up between fights as needed.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
If you mean the nurse cap it's considered a rare drop in that it's a unique item (you can get multiples, however). If you get something better than it for Melvy keep it in your storage box anyways though as it's needed for a side quest later I think.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah, it's the nurse cap. I just got the maid and put some points into the cooking and TP after battle skills, already makes it much nicer not having to worry about saving TP forever. How long does it take to open up requests? Also saw something about a blacksmith, I assume for upgrading weapons and armor.

Parakeetman

Yeah, it's the nurse cap. I just got the maid and put some points into the cooking and TP after battle skills, already makes it much nicer not having to worry about saving TP forever. How long does it take to open up requests? Also saw something about a blacksmith, I assume for upgrading weapons and armor.

you wont be meeting the blacksmith till the beast people dungeon so its still a little ways off.

requests should be soon i think

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think requests open up in the next chapter or so from where you're at. Either way it's fairly early on. Definitely worth stopping and doing them as increasing request levels will unlock additional side dungeons with strong bosses that drop great equipment and also the only way to increase bag size. Blacksmith was closer to around halfway point in the game I think.

Dorarnae

Can't wait till you get to the first boss in the next dungeon. That one was a real wall.

:S

I finally killed the one in the temple after 10-15 ish try. pretty sure I got close a few time but the battle was so random....I was getting a bit mad lol.

CrovaxPSO

This mini boss in the forest is annoying. Keeps one shotting someone early on with a magic spell. Don't think I have anything to boost air resist yet either. I can beat her but I'd like everyone to be alive for the exp.

Finally got her by getting lucky in the first turn and keeping taunt up, and using two characters to heal Alicia with items the whole time.

Parakeetman

Welp at least that is done (&#65307;&#12539;&#8704;&#12539;) -3

Now to keep marching towards that crown (&#12541;´&#969;`)

lol nice!

This mini boss in the forest is annoying. Keeps one shotting someone early on with a magic spell. Don't think I have anything to boost air resist yet either. I can beat her but I'd like everyone to be alive for the exp.

Finally got her by getting lucky in the first turn and keeping taunt up, and using two characters to heal Alicia with items the whole time.

Yeah this game will mess you up vs. magic users. D: Btw you are using the shoulder button forgot which one to display the status of the enemies which also includes their casting time right?

CrovaxPSO

Welp at least that is done (&#65307;&#12539;&#8704;&#12539;) -3

Now to keep marching towards that crown (&#12541;´&#969;`)

Congrats! How long did it take to get 20k?

lol nice!

Yeah this game will mess you up vs. magic users. D: Btw you are using the shoulder button forgot which one to display the status of the enemies which also includes their casting time right?

Yeah, I've been using it but took me a while to notice the cast bar since it kind of just appears up there and sometimes I didn't see it until it was almost full. Started paying closer attention to it and things went better, haha.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I've been using it but took me a while to notice the cast bar since it kind of just appears up there and sometimes I didn't see it until it was almost full. Started paying closer attention to it and things went better, haha.

Yeah not too sure at times what causes it to be filled up more on some occasions than others with the same spell type and enemy. Since its happened before which is odd and theoretically shouldnt happen D:

CrovaxPSO

I'm definitely liking the game a lot but it's for sure harder than any other DRPG I've played I think. There's a lot more kanji in item and skill names/descriptions so that might be part of it, since that was always my weakest area in Japanese. Gonna try to get as far as I can before Persona Q comes out here, then I'll probably swap between those until Stranger comes out.

Parakeetman

I'm definitely liking the game a lot but it's for sure harder than any other DRPG I've played I think. There's a lot more kanji in item and skill names/descriptions so that might be part of it, since that was always my weakest area in Japanese. Gonna try to get as far as I can before Persona Q comes out here, then I'll probably swap between those until Stranger comes out.

See what I mean when I had mentioned regardless of the look of the title its a lot more well made than other Wizardry type of titles in design and challenge. Since this game man does some crazy fights at times. Then we have perorists reports of the wonders of the post game dungeon(s) insanity lol

CrovaxPSO

See what I mean when I had mentioned regardless of the look of the title its a lot more well made than other Wizardry type of titles in design and challenge. Since this game man does some crazy fights at times. Then we have perorists reports of the wonders of the post game dungeon(s) insanity lol

Yeah, it seems balanced pretty well. Seems like there's a ton of dungeons too, based on the list I saw on the wiki. And it looks like older dungeons open up even larger at a certain point. That's why I'm just hoping for now to finish the main story before Stranger, haha.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
lol nice!
Thanks, way too long lol. My game clock is at 136 hours. For reference the 5000 enemy trophy only popped when I was in the last story dungeon.

Also btw, you can switch the enemy info to always show by default in the options menu instead of having to press R each time manually.

Then we have perorists reports of the wonders of the post game dungeon(s) insanity lol
Speaking of that, mild dungeon map spoiler (you most likely won't memorize the layout) but this combination of two recent floors was straight up sadistic (´&#8857;&#969;&#8857;`)

Floor 11 http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/alicemargatroid-grimoire/imgs/a/4/a4c82298.jpg
Floor 12 http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/alicemargatroid-grimoire/imgs/5/1/511de102.jpg
(traps reactivate whenever you leave/re-enter a floor)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah not too sure at times what causes it to be filled up more on some occasions than others with the same spell type and enemy. Since its happened before which is odd and theoretically shouldnt happen D:
The spell meter is really just a turn order indicator for when the caster's next turn comes. I think a couple of things could affect spells looking like they're being cast faster. Things like speed buffs/debuffs on the enemy's side, but what happens the most is when an enemy uses a move that causes someone on your side to faint (halts all spells/songs/dances and your character's next turn is cancelled). When a bunch of your characters lose their next turn due to faint, the casting enemy's turn comes up much sooner so their casting bar suddenly jumps a big amount.

CrovaxPSO

Thanks, way too long lol. My game clock is at 136 hours. For reference the 5000 enemy trophy only popped when I was in the last story dungeon.

Also btw, you can switch the enemy info to always show by default in the options menu instead of having to press R each time manually.

Speaking of that, mild dungeon map spoiler (you most likely won't memorize the layout) but this combination of two recent floors was straight up sadistic (´&#8857;&#969;&#8857;`)

Floor 11 http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/alicemargatroid-grimoire/imgs/a/4/a4c82298.jpg
Floor 12 http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/alicemargatroid-grimoire/imgs/5/1/511de102.jpg
(traps reactivate whenever you leave/re-enter a floor)

Nice, didn't know about that option, thanks. And those maps look crazy, haha.

Dorarnae

just got to Gear castle. and I think I'll go grind a bit, kinda crazy there and I am not even lvl 80...
btw is it me or the song of that dungeon isn't on the soundtrack?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
just got to Gear castle. and I think I'll go grind a bit, kinda crazy there and I am not even lvl 80...
Yep, I think that was about the point where I genuinely started immediately running from 100% of enemy encounters (am still doing that now). Only ones I fought were the preset ones behind doors so that I could apply every buff I had in my arsenal before entering lol.

Dorarnae

Yep, I think that was about the point where I genuinely started immediately running from 100% of enemy encounters (am still doing that now). Only ones I fought were the preset ones behind doors so that I could apply every buff I had in my arsenal before entering lol.

I just craft some stuff and got some new seal...I can now start farming the entrance, will get those new seals. Astaroth seal is very good ^_^

Parakeetman

I just craft some stuff and got some new seal...I can now start farming the entrance, will get those new seals. Astaroth seal is very good ^_^

really do like that system as it adds a bit more to going back to older dungeons or fighting particular enemies over and over again. then theres the blacksmithing lol

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Astaroth seal is very good ^_^
These are going to be very useful for the upcoming boss. Equipping one is like the equivalent of leveling up a couple of times in terms of defenses lol. Still have it on a couple of my characters even now.

CrovaxPSO

Is it better to build Monica as a melee or ranged? The poison shot seems to do a lot of damage if it sticks, but doesn't seem to stick that well.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is it better to build Monica as a melee or ranged? The poison shot seems to do a lot of damage if it sticks, but doesn't seem to stick that well.
Definitely go melee path because you can use the scout skill 'weak stab' (keep it at level 1 to spam for low cost) when equipped with a knife. It guarantees a critical which is ultra useful against stopping boss spells/dances.

Ultimately though once you get more characters I actually don't recommend using her at all if you can help it because she has a bit of a disadvantage due to her unique skill. You get two more scout types through the story anyways who will become better suited for the Kunoichi/Sniper final classes.

CrovaxPSO

Definitely go melee path because you can use the scout skill 'weak stab' (keep it at level 1 to spam for low cost) when equipped with a knife. It guarantees a critical which is ultra useful against stopping boss spells/dances.

Ultimately though once you get more characters I actually don't recommend using her at all if you can help it because she has a bit of a disadvantage due to her unique skill. You get two more scout types through the story anyways who will become better suited for the Kunoichi/Sniper final classes.

Didn't know crits would interrupt spells, that'll help a lot.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, it's not 100% though. For non-critical attacks enemies have a damage threshold based on their HP where if you do enough damage it'll stop the spell/dance. Obviously this gets harder the higher level the enemies get, but criticals will always have the same set chance of being able to stop a spell/dance regardless of damage (might be around 50% or so). Same applies for your own characters of course.

Other than that spells can be stopped by inflicting silence, dances by inflicting freeze, and both can be stopped by inflicting faint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom