• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DungeonGAF | A NeoGAF Dungeon World PbP [Now Playing]

Jintor

While remaining as still as possible, I cast my eyes around the room to Discern Realities to determine the ideal hiding spots for valuables.

Sorry, discern realities takes far more time and is a lot more hands on than a simple spot check - it's not something you can do standing still while trying to avoid detection. (I gave it to Serrick because he was reading a situation using smells, but usually it's closer to a forensics team carefully going over an area than just rolling perception)

I can give you a description of the room, but make a different move in the meantime.

Jintor

Deken exits via the window as nimbly as he can (whether that involves climbing down or just taking a leap), and then looks to determine what he can about the figure helping Bareth.

You're exciting a second story window - make a defy danger + (whatever way you want to defy the danger of falling badly) and tell me of your personal history with the curiousities merchant Bareth, if any history exists.

Also, is it night or day?

Jintor

wait, I wasn't planning on that. I was thinking Ein would be pushed against the wall since I'm hitting their backs and then fall to the floor, but not be pushed to the left so far he would fall down the stairs too (he's not the one being hit directly).

If Zhao's grip is that strong, I'd rather not have them going down (only the guards, if possible) than all four being pushed to the staircase.

Oh, I see. OK, I'll resolve it that way. I wasn't quite sure what you were going for.

I give the +1 to Thrakdur and deal damage to the other guard attacking me. I'll try to make it a habit.
The guardswoman manages to rip the sitar out of your hands (You're not going to be playing anything until you get that back) and Zhao is still choking you, but your flailing hand manages to rip your sword out of your sheath and block a direct punch from the third guardsman with the flat of your blade, though the impact still manages to drive it somewhat into your body. Ein, take 1/2 d8 damage from the blocked blow, as well as an additional d6 damage from Zhao continuing to choke you.

The guardsman stumbles backwards, waving his stunned hand wildly.

Ein, you are still being choked by Zhao and another guardswoman still stands before you. What do you do?
I roll and take 7/2 + 6 =9.5 damage leaving me with 7.5/17hp right?

Seeing my absolute need to get out of Zhao's grasp, I take a swing at Zhao's arm hopefully trying to break free from Zhao.

I roll 5 + 3 + (0)= 8

Jintor

I try to dodge his kick.
(3+3)+1=7

Barely successful - choose one, either you overbalance dodging and definitely can't make it to assist Ein next turn, or you stay upright but only get in a glancing blow on the guard, halving your damage or effect.

Retconned, see below

Jintor

Seeing my absolute need to get out of Zhao's grasp, I take a swing at Zhao's arm hopefully trying to break free from Zhao.

I roll 5 + 3 + (0)= 8

Damage rounds down, so you're on 8hp. Roll attack damage against Zhao and let me resolve some actions first.

justjim89

This chef is getting a little too curious for my taste. Isn't there a souffle burning somewhere for her to yell about? As she scans the room, I withdraw my coin pouch. Behind her, on a counter, I see a stack of fine china plates. "Perfect" I think to myself. I take a single coin out of the pouch, aim as best I can over her shoulder, and throw it at the plates. At the very least it'll make some noise, at most she'll have quite a mess to deal with.

Would this be a dexterity roll, throwing a coin at a stack of plates? If so, I got (6+6)+2=14.

I've be moving back and forth between 1st and third person description, but seems like everyone else is 1st so I'll stick with that

You're exciting a second story window - make a defy danger + (whatever way you want to defy the danger of falling badly) and tell me of your personal history with the curiosities merchant Bareth, if any history exists.

Also, is it night or day?

Night, the Defy Danger is Dex, trying to jump out quickly and land securely. 2+5+0=7.

I have traded with Bareth before, as he manages to come into possession of relatively valuable materials and magical trinkets from time to time. Upon entering the city I've contacted him to check out his wares, but only briefly. He mentioned offhand he was working on acquiring something special, I told him to update me on any progress. Shame his malodorous temperament got him tossed out of a window (wasn't his first, probably won't be his last). I wonder who came to his aid in this case?

Jintor

I give the +1 to Thrakdur and deal damage to the other guard attacking me. I'll try to make it a habit.

I roll 5 + 3 + (0)= 8

Zhao reels backwards, blood flowing from his arm where you've flailed wildly at him, but as he lets you go you overbalance and fall to the floor, prone. The other guard is about to put the boot in when-

As I watch in the corner of my eye a guard getting slashed I continue running and, using my ferocious strength, I slash the three men's backs with my right paw leftward, hoping at least one of them would fall down the staircase.

My previous rolls were (1d6):
5 for the 1st target

A giant bear cannons into the back of the guard who punched you in the stomach, one swipe of its giant claws throwing him into the guardswoman (who has Ein's sitar) and Zhao and tossing the entire pile cursing and flailing down the stairs, where they scatter two more guards attempting to ascend.

Serrick, roll d4 for the associated damage to Zhao and the guardswoman; you've delayed the reinforcements from arriving for a little bit.

As Ein watches, eyes wide, from his position on the floor, the bear shakes itself and reverts to the form of Serrick, panting wildly. Serrick, how did it feel to take the skin of Bear so openly, in this crowded city where the stink of man fills the sky?

Ein, Serrick, apart from the guard that Thrakdur is playing with, the second floor is clear and the guardsmen have been forced down the chokepoint of the stairs; Alfonso is having a nervous breakdown in the wreckage of some tables, and both Waymore and Deker are nowhere to be seen. What do you do?

Jintor

Night, the Defy Danger is Dex, trying to jump out quickly and land securely. 2+5+0=7.

Oof. Landing safely is difficult enough even without having to maintain the delicate magics of the invisibility spell - either it begins to malfunction unpredictably on impact or it's taking all your concentration to land safely and stay unseen; take -1 ongoing to INT and WIS rolls until you can clear your head for a few seconds or you drop the invisibility spell, whichever comes first.

Retconned, see below

I think I'm overusing choice results for defy danger too much... I'll see what I can do about that.

I've be moving back and forth between 1st and third person description, but seems like everyone else is 1st so I'll stick with that

I don't mind either. I'm switching it up constantly myself.

Jintor

This chef is getting a little too curious for my taste. Isn't there a souffle burning somewhere for her to yell about? As she scans the room, I withdraw my coin pouch. Behind her, on a counter, I see a stack of fine china plates. "Perfect" I think to myself. I take a single coin out of the pouch, aim as best I can over her shoulder, and throw it at the plates. At the very least it'll make some noise, at most she'll have quite a mess to deal with.

Would this be a dexterity roll, throwing a coin at a stack of plates? If so, I got (6+6)+2=14.

Your missile flies through the air with uncanny precision, smashing the precarious stack of plates to the floor in a loud, tinkling, expensive SMASH. For a split-second, the busy kitchen goes quiet (somewhere in the main tea-room, a man bellows in pain and rage). Then, the glass-backed door slams shut as the chef whirls and unleashes an awesome torrent of Chuunian curses that even your ears blister to hear, and stomps back into the kitchen to bring misery and terror to her subjects.

Peering around the darkened room, your eyes have had time to adjust; you see a fairly unremarkably higher-class study. A wooden desk dominates the central part of the room, a wooden chair behind it; one or two subtly chosen pieces of calligraphy hang on the walls, one providing a powerful background to the obvious position of power. Shelves of scrolls, thinly-bound paper compilations, and assorted knick-knacks are to your right and left, as is a thick cabinet drawer.

3D-Chinese-study-room-with-solid-wood-furniture.jpg

You will be noticed if you stay for too long - the door is glass, after all. Waymore, remove a coin from your inventory, then what do you do?

Bowlie

Banned
Serrick, roll d4 for the associated damage to Zhao and the guardswoman; you've delayed the reinforcements from arriving for a little bit.

I rolled a 4.

Serrick, how did it feel to take the skin of Bear so openly, in this crowded city where the stink of man fills the sky?

As much as I dislike changing skins near Men, this wasn't the same situation as shifting near innocent bystanders who could very well be scared. The only ones who saw me were violent, menacing guards, who didn't think twice before harrassing me and my companions without plausible reason.

To be fair, I acted on instinct on Thrakdur's shout and Zhao's hands on Ein's neck. Now that I'm back I'm pondering the consequences of this act. I also have in mind that depending on how things went down, I should buy a sitar.

Ein, Serrick, apart from the guard that Thrakdur is playing with, the second floor is clear and the guardsmen have been forced down the chokepoint of the stairs; Alfonso is having a nervous breakdown in the wreckage of some tables, and both Waymore and Deker are nowhere to be seen. What do you do?

I writhe as the world spins around me. The return is always worse. I wait for my bones to stop twitching and, looking at Ein, motion my head towards Thrakdur's opponent, who I'm sure noticed the ruckus I caused. Stumbling, I walk to my belt and clasp it around my waist.

justjim89

Your missile flies through the air with uncanny precision, smashing the precarious stack of plates to the floor in a loud, tinkling, expensive SMASH. For a split-second, the busy kitchen goes quiet (somewhere in the main tea-room, a man bellows in pain and rage). Then, the glass-backed door slams shut as the chef whirls and unleashes an awesome torrent of Chuunese curses that even your ears blister to hear, and stomps back into the kitchen to bring misery and terror to her subjects.

Peering around the darkened room, your eyes have had time to adjust; you see a fairly unremarkably higher-class study. A wooden desk dominates the central part of the room, a wooden chair behind it; one or two subtly chosen pieces of calligraphy hang on the walls, one providing a powerful background to the obvious position of power. Shelves of scrolls, thinly-bound paper compilations, and assorted knick-knacks are to your right and left, as is a thick cabinet drawer.

You will be noticed if you stay for too long - the door is glass, after all. Waymore, remove a coin from your inventory, then what do you do?

I search through the cabinet drawers as well as the desk drawers, quickly but thoroughly. If there's anything valuable here, I'll find it.

"Damn thing has to be here, somewhere," I mutter to myself.

Jintor

I search through the cabinet drawers as well as the desk drawers, quickly but thoroughly. If there's anything valuable here, I'll find it.

Could you give me 2d6 and report each dice number individually for me?

Jintor

No modifier? 2+5=7, then.

The cabinets hold nothing relevant (linens, silks, etc; a few easily transportable knick-knacks worth cumulatively about 10 coins, if you wish to filch them) but there's more of interest in the drawers. A lot of documentation which you can't read in this light, a small, intensely organised set of various herbal tea leaves, a small, wicked-sharp dagger (close, sharp, 5 coin) and... a small wooden box, such as might hold a jewel or ring or somesuch.

Between the chaos in the kitchen and the chaos in the tearoom, nobody seems to be coming to bother you right at this moment. What do you do?

Waymore, as an experienced burglar, you realise that the hair on your hand is standing on-end when near the box.

justjim89

The cabinets hold nothing relevant (linens, silks, etc; a few easily transportable knick-knacks worth cumulatively about 10 coins, if you wish to filch them) but there's more of interest in the drawers. A lot of documentation which you can't read in this light, a small, intensely organised set of various herbal tea leaves, a small, wicked-sharp dagger (close, sharp, 5 coin) and... a small wooden box, such as might hold a jewel or ring or somesuch.

Between the chaos in the kitchen and the chaos in the tearoom, nobody seems to be coming to bother you right at this moment. What do you do?

Waymore, as an experienced burglar, you realise that the hair on your hand is standing on-end when near the box.

I grab the knick-knacks from the cabinets, as well as the dagger from the drawer and stuff them in my pack. After all, a few extra coins can always come in handy.

Picking up the small box, my skin tingles. This is important, I know. Still, I have to be sure. Taking an extra moment, and open the box ever-so-slightly to peak inside.

Jintor

I grab the knick-knacks from the cabinets, as well as the dagger from the drawer and stuff them in my pack. After all, a few extra coins can always come in handy.

Picking up the small box, my skin tingles. This is important, I know. Still, I have to be sure. Taking an extra moment, and open the box ever-so-slightly to peak inside.

Add them all to your inventory.

As you carefully snap open the box, you see a small, ornate silver ring on a small, plush pillow - it matches the client's description (though it's a little heavier-looking than you expect).

You also see the fading impression of several Chuunian characters, glowing a strange, malignant blue before they melt into the darkness. Waymore, you have triggered an uncommon but familiar magical alarm of some kind that you find particularly vexing; what is your experience with this specific magical effect, and what is something somewhat costly that you must do to counter its effects?

justjim89

Add them all to your inventory.

As you carefully snap open the box, you see a small, ornate silver ring on a small, plush pillow - it matches the client's description (though it's a little heavier-looking than you expect).

You also see the fading impression of several Chuunese characters, glowing a strange, malignant blue before they melt into the darkness. Waymore, you have triggered an uncommon but familiar magical alarm of some kind that you find particularly vexing; what is your experience with this specific magical effect, and what is something somewhat costly that you must do to counter its effects?

"Blast!" I mutter to myself, recognizing the runes from a past caper of an emerald necklace. I can't read the runes, but the glow about them and the general shape are certainly reminiscent, and I believe the mark on that job was Chuunese. "A proximity enchantment. Alfonso is smarter than he looks." If I were to simply walk this box out the door, it would explode with some elemental burst and likely kill me. On the emerald necklace job, I had to give some blood to take it with me, and that's the only idea I have for this predicament.

I pull my shortsword from the sheath just enough to expose some of the blade edge, and firmly slide my left index finger along it, cutting rather deeply. I wince with pain, and press my bleeding finger into fabric on the lid of the box, letting it soak through and darken the blue velvet. After a few moments, I shut the box and tuck it into my pack, but not before holding it up to my face and warning it, "You behave now."

I sidle back beside the door and take stock of the kitchen. "Now, to get back out."

How do I roll for damage?

Jintor

God damn that's fucking cool. Give me a d6 for that and you've successfully circumvented the alarm.

Waymore peers through the glass door, careful not to let his silhouette show through. The kitchen is a warzone; the head chef has her back to you, shouting furious curses, servants are prostrating themselves before her, head bowed to the floor; shattered pieces of china are everywhere. A few servants are brushing shattered china into pots and pans, while others are still scurrying back and forth, cooking and burning and washing despite the very violent sounds of a brawl on the other side of the walls. As before, Defy Danger + DEX to avoid detection and, this time, shattered china if you move through.

Again, the servant quarters door is open (though considerably more trafficked than earlier), and two shogi doors are accessible to you without crossing directly through the kitchen; one leads back out to the main tea-room, and you know not where the other leads.

Another possibility occurs to you; the office has two windows, though you hadn't the chance to look at them properly yet.

justjim89

God damn that's fucking cool. Give me a d6 for that and you've successfully circumvented the alarm.

Thanks, I was rather proud of the idea when I thought of it. I rolled a 6. I'm using this site for my rolls, for what it's worth.

I look through the chaos of the kitchen, and then to the windows on the far side of the office. The windows would be easier, but I can't just bail on the rest of my compatriots. I'm a thief, but I'm not a snake. I open the door just enough to fit through, and then try to quickly sneak through the kitchen to the shogi door back out to the main tea room. At the very least I could lend an arrow or two to my new friends.

I step out to the kitchen, trying to step my way around the plates and quickly exit.

I rolled (3+5)+2=10

While I'd like to rest with little HP, but I need to repay Thrakdur for getting me out of the terribly sticky situation that I got myself in. Picking back up my sword and using it to help me stand, I aid Thrakdur against the guard by hacking and slashing him.

I roll 1 + 6 = 7 and deal 2 damage to the guard.

The guard's damage is d8 last time, so I should roll a d8?

The guard hits me for 5 damage leaving me with 3HP
Wheezing after my trade, I think to myself, "maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Im sure Thrakdur can take care of the rest."

Jintor

Had a thought about how to resolve this without having to give a choice for every defy danger (defy danger is gonna come up a lot which is annoying in PbP)

I try to dodge his kick.
(3+3)+1=7

Can I attack? If so, I'll hit the one who just kicked me. My roll is (3+6)+2=11 and my damage is (3)+2=5

Actually since my weapon is forceful, could I, as part of my attack try to knock him down or out of the way so I could get to Ein faster?

As Thrakdur swiftly throws himself backwards the wildly-aimed kick catches the handle of his axe, sending it flying from his hand into a table. But Thrakdur doesn't seem to care.

"At least one of you is brave - I'll give you a good death!" he roars, and drives one meaty hand into the man's stomach.

Picking back up my sword and using it to help me stand, I aid Thrakdur against the guard by hacking and slashing him.

Ein rushes into the fray, hacking wildly as Thrakdur springs aside; fighting like a wildcat, the guard looks obviously pained, but somehow manages to deflects a few sword blows and manages to deliver a solid hit to Ein's solar plexus for his troubles. Panting, both combatants back off warily to a safer distance, eyes not leaving one another's faces.

I writhe as the world spins around me. The return is always worse. I wait for my bones to stop twitching and, looking at Ein, motion my head towards Thrakdur's opponent, who I'm sure noticed the ruckus I caused. Stumbling, I walk to my belt and clasp it around my waist.

Serrick stumbles past the melee and collapses on his hands and knees by his belt, pulling it back to his waist and regaining the use of all items on it. Suddenly, the shogi door by him pulls open...

I open the door just enough to fit through, and then try to quickly sneak through the kitchen to the shogi door back out to the main tea room. At the very least I could lend an arrow or two to my new friends.

I step out to the kitchen, trying to step my way around the plates and quickly exit.

I rolled (3+5)+2=10

...to reveal Waymore, who slips out quickly and closes the door, one hand dripping a thin stream of blood. He appears to have raised no ruckus, but pauses on observing the still ongoing fight (as well as the groaning female guard on the floor, clutching the severed stump of her arm).

Serrick, Thrakdur, Ein, and Waymore, the man is clearly on his last legs, but he readies himself warily and doesn't look like he'll go down without a fight. Additionally, faint groaning below and shouted orders appear to mean Zhao's group is disentangling themselves at this very moment. And Deker is nowhere to be seen. What do you do?

Jintor

It's difficult finding handholds when you can't see your own hands, but you manage to lower yourself down the wall to a position where you can safely hit the ground without more than minor discomfort. However, having to concentrate on all of that and maintain the delicate magicks that flow around you is no picnic; take -1 to INT and WIS checks until you have a moment to catch your breath, or you drop the invisiblity spell, whichever comes first.

I have traded with Bareth before, as he manages to come into possession of relatively valuable materials and magical trinkets from time to time. Upon entering the city I've contacted him to check out his wares, but only briefly. He mentioned offhand he was working on acquiring something special, I told him to update me on any progress. Shame his malodorous temperament got him tossed out of a window (wasn't his first, probably won't be his last). I wonder who came to his aid in this case?

Unsurprisingly, the street is utterly deserted despite the time of night; nobody (but you) is there to witness a shabby man in patchwork clothing haul the injured fireworks merchant to his feet. Bareth is blabbering, desperately, face contorted in pain.

"I told ya, I told ya, I told ya you should've just let him have his damn cut... he was just supposed to be in sales and now cos you and yours wanted him out he said he's gonna have the whole operation to himself in a matter of weeks!" the fat-faced merchant whines, grimacing.

The patchwork man is maneuvering him around the glass with delicate care, back towards you and the front of the Golden Koi. "You offered him an out..." he says, letting the words hang. A scream echoes through the night behind you.

"That I did," nods Bareth ruefully, one twisted arm hanging by his side, "and look where it got me. Why, uh, why are you... why are we, um, going back in there?"

There is a silence, and you can see the smile of the other man gleaming white in the darkness. "I've just made Sergeant Zhao a very rich man," he says, "and I intend to ensure he earns his keep."

---

Deken, you have ample time before the stranger and Bareth reach you, slow and carefree as their pace is. But there are screams above and groans and shouted orders coming from the first floor of the Golden Koi behind you. What do you do?

Tubobutts

I like what Serrick was thinking, so before the guard can do any more harm to Ein, I rush the guard and try to push him down the stairs.

(5+4)+2=11, Dmg is 6

If that clears the immediate danger, I pick up my axe.

Sorry it took a while to respond

Jintor

I like what Serrick was thinking, so before the guard can do any more harm to Ein, I rush the guard and try to push him down the stairs.

(5+4)+2=11, Dmg is 6

If that clears the immediate danger, I pick up my axe.

You're facing a man in opposed combat, so that's a Hack and Slash roll - but since you rolled above 10, you don't need to take his damage. Note that on a +10 on a hack and slash you can deal an extra d6 damage if you also take the damage.

Before Ein can make a movement Thrakdur leaps back into the fray, but that he is more used to the more unstructured horseplay of Steppes wrestling than the storied Chuurian fighting styles is plain to see, with his opponent landing three or four blows on the outlander almost immediately. Nonetheless, the guard is far too weary to put any power into his strikes before Thrakdur clocks him unconscious across the jaw and manages to hurl him bodily down the stairs. Shouts of dismay from below appear to indicate that, once more, you've fouled a scheme to climb the staircase.

The room is still, but for the gibbering guardswoman on the ground and the gibbering Alfonso, hands clamped firmly over his eyes, trying to hide under a table. As Thrakdur grabs his axe from the floor, he notes that the stairwell is a chokepoint down as well as up, but also someone has kicked more glass out of the shattered window than you recall - and that Deker is nowhere to be seen. Ein, Thrakdur, Waymore and Serrick - what do you do?

It's difficult finding handholds when you can't see your own hands, but you manage to lower yourself down the wall to a position where you can safely hit the ground without more than minor discomfort. However, having to concentrate on all of that and maintain the delicate magicks that flow around you is no picnic; take -1 to INT and WIS checks until you have a moment to catch your breath, or you drop the invisiblity spell, whichever comes first.
--
Deken, you have ample time before the stranger and Bareth reach you, slow and carefree as their pace is. But there are screams above and groans and shouted orders coming from the first floor of the Golden Koi behind you. What do you do?

My head spins as I dismount and my feet impact the cobblestones (Taking -1 to INT and WIS). I had to mix together a couple of crude and inelegant charms (if you are wondering they were Echman's Shadow Eater [blegh - I hate using it for it's name alone] and a rather basic kinetic conversion which only really helped at the end) to maintain my invisibility enchantment during that descent.

I stare into the night at these two men conversing, trying to put together the meaning of their discussion. A scream from the Koi pierces my thoughts and I hurry to return to the ruckus, stepping into the entry of the building, to see what I can do to sort all this out

justjim89

I look over at Waymore

"Did you get it?"

To the rest of the group I ask;

"What happened to the Wizard?"

I look to Thrakdur with a sly grin, nodding to the pack slung over my back. "Need you ask? We ought to make ourselves scarce before discussing further," I mutter, nodding towards the delirious Alfonso. I look to Ein with a modicum of concern, "Besides, our dear bard looks a bit worse for ware. It appears Deken has taken the window. That might be the best way to circumvent any forthcoming guards."

Jintor

I stare into the night at these two men conversing, trying to put together the meaning of their discussion. A scream from the Koi pierces my thoughts and I hurry to return to the ruckus, stepping into the entry of the building, to see what I can do to sort all this out

The first floor tea-room is also clear of patrons, though it is remarkably full with guardsmen struggling to their feet near an ornate stairwell, Zhao near apoleptic with fury. There's five of them upright - 2 fresh, 2 injured, and Zhao, who is staunching his wounds with a torn piece of tablecloth. Fishtanks full of living assorted delicacies line the wall. Inexplicably, one of the guards is clutching a sitar.

Seems they'll be ready for another attempt on the stairs soon.

What do you do?

I look to Thrakdur with a sly grin, nodding to the pack slung over my back. "Need you ask? We ought to make ourselves scarce before discussing further," I mutter, nodding towards the delirious Alfonso.

Waymore, how or where will you get the ring to your client?

And what did she tell you to call her, anyway?

justjim89

Waymore, how or where will you get the ring to your client?

And what did she tell you to call her, anyway?

The client, who went by Liana, agreed to meet me tomorrow night in the Crippled Crone Inn. I was instructed to go directly to the innkeep and ask for room #6. I'm hoping for a quick hand-off, collect my payment, and get out. But this ring gives me a bad feeling, like it'll end up being a lot more trouble than it's worth. The blood trickling from my finger is a fine point of evidence. Either way, we're not out of the woods yet. I take a peek down the stairwell to take stock of the situation downstairs.

Are there still some chairs and tables broken or not? I know Serrick turned into a bear and made a mess, but there should be still some chairs and tables? If so, I would toss chairs down the stairs with a heavy breath with each toss trying to impede the guards from climbing anymore.

Jintor

Are there still some chairs and tables broken or not? I know Serrick turned into a bear and made a mess, but there should be still some chairs and tables? If so, I would toss chairs down the stairs with a heavy breath with each toss trying to impede the guards from climbing anymore.

So every time a guard sticks his head out, you're gonna tip a chair down the stairs? Sounds fine by me. There's a lot of chairs up here, and it's good discouragement.I might wait a bit to see what ya'll decide to do though.

You guys can't see it, but the men outside are getting closer...

Jintor

Probably about twelve hours cos I'm about to step onto an international flight. I'll make this short. Generally speaking, just do the action (questioning, etc) and I'll pick you up if it's impossible or not going to work or will significantly cost you in some way, things roll faster that way.

She seems kind of traumatised... they actually didn't expect to fight anyone, they were just with Zhao to lean on the owner of the koi. Actually, interestingly enough, you notice that she's wearing Day Watch armour - they're not technically meant to be here. She doesn't have anything of value on her, beside the standard guard hand bindings.

She's in a bad way. If you don't bandage her quickly she's going to bleed out pretty soon. But to do it properly might take some time... What do you do?

Tubobutts

I try to bandage her arm as quickly as possible, using whatever cloth is nearby. I'm not concerned if it is effective long term, but having to worry about a wounded, though living, companion might slow the guards down at least.

I don't know if I need to roll but here is a 2d6 just in case (4+6)=10

"We should leave," I say to the group, "Out the window if Ein can handle it."

The first floor tea-room is also clear of patrons, though it is remarkably full with guardsmen struggling to their feet near an ornate stairwell, Zhao near apoleptic with fury. There's five of them upright - 2 fresh, 2 injured, and Zhao, who is staunching his wounds with a torn piece of tablecloth. Fishtanks full of living assorted delicacies line the wall. Inexplicably, one of the guards is clutching a sitar.

Seems they'll be ready for another attempt on the stairs soon.

What do you do?
I step delicately through the mess, dodging what appear to be chairs being chucked down the stairwell, and make my way close to Zhao. I need a way to find out what Bareth and his mysterious companion want from him. I need to be quick here before the two arrive, and I might need a bit more chaos than there already is to pull off what I'm thinking of doing. I look over toward the guards grouped at the base of the staircase, and then over at the fish tanks near (not sure if this was the case, or how close the tanks are to them) the guards.

With the guards distracted I pick up what was once a chair leg, but has been snapped off following its flight down the stairwell, leaving it with a sharpened point. I proceed to slam that sucker into a couple of tanks, hoping to shatter the glass, and release the contents within among the guards.

Roll for this? I don't know what move to use. If so is it an attack? B/c that breaks my invis and I probably wouldn't want do it. I'm assuming attack/hack and slash requires an enemy. If it is just a strength check then - 4+4-1=7

Jintor

You are attacking - you're attacking the fishtanks. Still want to do it? You wouldn't need to roll, but it will break your invisibility.

ok in that case I'll change up the order of what I was planning to do

With my other hand I proceed to fish a heavy key out of a pocket, tapping it to my temple, and then, after a deep breath, drop my invisivility ebchantment, and touch the key to Zhao's temple. (drop invis, cast telepathic bond. Roll 4+1+2=7, forget the spell). I dash toward the tanks attempting to avoid the attacks from the guards and smash the glass, the key being swatted from my hand in the process.(defying danger dex? 1+6=7 )

Jintor

I step delicately through the mess, dodging what appear to be chairs being chucked down the stairwell, and make my way close to Zhao. I need a way to find out what Bareth and his mysterious companion want from him. I need to be quick here before the two arrive, and I might need a bit more chaos than there already is to pull off what I'm thinking of doing. I look over toward the guards grouped at the base of the staircase, and then over at the fish tanks near (not sure if this was the case, or how close the tanks are to them) the guards.

With the guards distracted I pick up what was once a chair leg, but has been snapped off following its flight down the stairwell, leaving it with a sharpened point.

With my other hand I proceed to fish a heavy key out of a pocket, tapping it to my temple, and then, after a deep breath, drop my invisivility ebchantment, and touch the key to Zhao's temple. (drop invis, cast telepathic bond. Roll 4+1+2=7, forget the spell). I dash toward the tanks attempting to avoid the attacks from the guards and smash the glass, the key being swatted from my hand in the process.(defying danger dex? 1+6=7 )

If you get a 7-9 on a defy danger, best not to anticipate my additional qualifier, since that gives you too much narrative control; I'll allow it for the moment.

Zhao's blustering tirade is interrupted as Deken materialises before him and presses a cold, heavy key to his temple. Sorcery! runs through his mind - runs through Deken's mind, pushing the mechanics of the spell's beginning back into the aether - before a guard, more quick-witted than most, attempts to grab the elderly arcanist. Deken ducks swiftly out of the way as Zhao stands, almost concussed in shock, but another guard kicks out wildly and the key goes spinning from his hand. The first guard leaps at him, but Deken dodges him, too, and sees his opportunity and swings.

Deker, you have the advantage of surprise for the moment but that will quickly fade. In the instance the glass shatters you know for a fact that you have drawn the attentions of the two people outside who are at this moment running for the entrance to the Koi. What is the significance of the key to your spell of telepathy? And What do you do?

Serrick, Thrakdur, Ein, Waymore, you hear glass shatter, more screams of shock, and the tell-tale sounds of water flooding the room below. What fabled, yet dangerous delicacy does the Golden Koi house within its famous display tanks? Why is Zhao now frightened out of his wits? And most importantly of all: What do you do?

If you get a 7-9 on a defy danger, best not to anticipate my additional qualifier, since that gives you too much narrative control; I'll allow it for the moment.

Sorry, I should have explained the key being swatted was meant to be showing my loss of the spell being prepared. You still make a move on me for the 7-9. And the smashing of the glass shouldn't have been written as definite by me, but subject to your move. It was just the next goal I had. Feel free to change around your description as you see fit.

Bowlie

Banned
Serrick, Thrakdur, Ein, Waymore, you hear glass shatter, more screams of shock, and the tell-tale sounds of water flooding the room below. What fabled, yet dangerous delicacy does the Golden Koi house within its famous display tanks? Why is Zhao now frightened out of his wits? And most importantly of all: What do you do?

Among the many koi which give name to the house there's a small, rounded fish called by the locals Fugu, native to Xingchu's bay. The guts of a Fugu contain an extremely lethal poison, so people tend to stay away from it unless they know how to remove them carefully.

Zhao, though, is not afraid of it; he's afraid of the water inside the tank (the same as the bay's water) that's very acid, to the point it can irritate human skin after long contact.

In fact, that's why underwater Vasces farms are hostile to the employees, as all good things always have a drawback. They must wear a protection suit to work there, but when you have such a high demand some safety measures tend to be oversighted.

I'd like to see Ein's response before acting. Depending on what he says, I'll jump down.

Top Bottom