• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara |OT| Wel-Wel-Wel-Welcome to the D&D world!

RedSwirl

Oh, this is interesting. I'd like to hear more.

Kamitani worked on Tower of Doom. The whole reason he made Dragon's Crown was to advance the genre that included games like D&D, Golden Axe, and King of Dragons.

This is from a Siliconcera interview (same information from a Famitsu interview): http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/15/a-conversation-with-dragons-crown-director-george-kamitani/

To start, when did the Dragon’s Crown project first go into action?

George Kamitani, Director: The planning document itself came around 13 years ago. I planned out Dragon’s Crown right after Princess Crown.

13 years! What platform were you planning to release it on?

In the beginning, it was a Dreamcast project. Before that I had been involved in the development of Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, and for many years I’ve wanted to make something like that. It was very tough to find a company to greenlight it, however… Once development on Muramasa was complete, I rewrote the planning document and went around to companies to hold presentations. It was finally Ignition that gave it the OK. They made the decision very quickly.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It is almost mid-day over here, I was hoping to see some reactions already :).

EDIT: And I just wanted to make sure there was no catastrophic reason to avoid it.

Played the Demo on 360 and PS3, purchased on 360, just beat Tower of Doom offline co-op. Seems to be exactly the same on each.

You might wanna check Gamefaqs too, if you want opinions that are more than just GAF. They always seem to pay attention to decently-popular arcade releases...

The House Rules get everything else right, you think this would have been the first one. Being able to limit ones games to a variety of credits from 1 to unlimited, with any number in between, would have been a great feature. Everyone gets 1 Dollar (4 credits)!

Funny, 4 credits per player would be the sweet spot for me too. Ah well.

Reading about the elfs 6 hit combo, and then seeing EVERYTHING I did end in her backflip... thought my button was getting sticky. SO WEIRD.

Elf's is the hardest to do indeed. I find it's easiest if, rather than mashing, you just time each button press to coincide when the previous move connects. Mashing seems to have the effect on occasion that the game seems to "miss" the "release button" event or something, and thus two quick presses are combined into a long one. But even that is not sure-fire.

Similar to a suggestion I made on the Sacred Citadel MB on PS blog; Give me a mode where all the leveling gimmicks are turned off, I start with a Max Level character with all moves, and you let me go from there, VS enemies that are smart enough to fight such a strong character.

Hard Corps Uprising did something like this, it should be a standard idea in all old-school throwbacks.

That would be my wish as well. I'm not sure if "all moves" can be enabled at all on one character (I think some abilities are equippable, perhaps some use the same command), but otherwise, yep.
Alternatively, you could actually earn those moves/spells during the course of an "arcade-like" run. Mystara games already do this with spells, and Battle Circuit allows you to purchase moves as you go.

Kamitani worked on Tower of Doom. The whole reason he made Dragon's Crown was to advance the genre that included games like D&D, Golden Axe, and King of Dragons.

This is from a Siliconcera interview (same information from a Famitsu interview): http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/15/a-conversation-with-dragons-crown-director-george-kamitani/

Yep yep. It's 15 years now, since the interview is from 2011. I believe he also worked in Shadow over Mystara. In any case, see that beautifully animated (particularly when breathing fire) red dragon from both games? All his spritework and programming.

Dragon's Crown seems to be his life's work and magnum opus; I want nothing more than for it to be a resounding success, and I'll do my part.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Funny, 4 credits per player would be the sweet spot for me too. Ah well.

Elf's is the hardest to do indeed. I find it's easiest if, rather than mashing, you just time each button press to coincide when the previous move connects. Mashing seems to have the effect on occasion that the game seems to "miss" the "release button" event or something, and thus two quick presses are combined into a long one. But even that is not sure-fire.

It's just surprising, that's more "janky" than I'd have expected from the game. I guess normally people are too busy comboing into specials to really care, however.

That would be my wish as well. I'm not sure if "all moves" can be enabled at all on one character (I think some abilities are equippable, perhaps some use the same command), but otherwise, yep.
Alternatively, you could actually earn those moves/spells during the course of an "arcade-like" run. Mystara games already do this with spells, and Battle Circuit allows you to purchase moves as you go.

Yeah, the "all moves" part is just a holdover from the general idea that most games of this type seem to like making your earn certain specials and the like; even DC looks like it'll have you earning special abilities.

In THIS game, I'd love to see how a limited supply of scrolls would work out; A random, set supply of scrolls per-playthrough would bring interesting strategy to the game, especially for the mage.

I do love the fact that higher levels actually seem to effect the spells here, too. Go from that single-bolt magic missile, to 3 at once!

Yep yep. It's 15 years now, since the interview is from 2011. I believe he also worked in Shadow over Mystara. In any case, see that beautifully animated (particularly when breathing fire) red dragon from both games? All his spritework and programming.

Dragon's Crown seems to be his life's work and magnum opus; I want nothing more than for it to be a resounding success, and I'll do my part.

It's a big part as to why I have a PS3 and Vita now (had neither when the game was first revealed), so I'll definitely be doing my part. Was nice to see his name in ToD's credits; years ago, all these odd Japanese names and pseudonyms seems like gibberish, but now I actually have knowledge and respect for a nice selection of these people...

i jumped into a random doom game. went smooth for all but the last boss. that was some laggy mess. i wonder if the connection of the other player went to shit or if netcode sucks at that particular spot for some reason.

What I don't get is when somebody plays a Cleric and doesn't use Hold Person/Continual Light against Tell'rin. It's a free win. Hell I played with a Cleric earlier who didn't even use Turn Undead. wtf
The Warrior is great against the Dark Lich. The fiend gets backed into a corner really easily. From there it's just a matter of staying crouched and mashing him out with the dual-wield.

The past couple games I've played online have actually been functional. It's pretty surprising.

Still don't know how I feel about this port though. The PS3 retail version is going to be better, I just wonder how much.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I always thought it was saying welcome to the Indian World.

I didn't question it, but this makes a lot more sense.

Anyway i know what Im doing this weekend.

In THIS game, I'd love to see how a limited supply of scrolls would work out; A random, set supply of scrolls per-playthrough would bring interesting strategy to the game, especially for the mage.

Well, D&D already has a limited supply of scrolls per 2-3 stages. I think it's nice to be able to go all out when you know you're getting a refill.
I wonder how many people realize that in Mystara you get X casts per spell level, and that, for example, Fireball and Lightning Bolt being the same spell level, means that each one you cast is also one less you can cast of the other.

I do love the fact that higher levels actually seem to effect the spells here, too. Go from that single-bolt magic missile, to 3 at once!

Best of all, that, along with its homing and multi-target capabilites, are all strictly per actual D&D pen-and-paper rules:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm
There's lots of other nice touches of faithfulness to the RPG, like the fact that dragons can only user their breath attack thrice per day (for the purposes of the game, thrice per encounter).

It's a big part as to why I have a PS3 and Vita now (had neither when the game was first revealed),

[brofist] Dragon's Crown is one of the reasons I got a PS3 (the other two being games that eventually ended up being released on PC; Dark Souls and Fall of Cybertron).

so I'll definitely be doing my part. Was nice to see his name in ToD's credits; years ago, all these odd Japanese names and pseudonyms seems like gibberish, but now I actually have knowledge and respect for a nice selection of these people...

Yeah! Back in the day we only knew about big shots like Miyamoto and Richard Garriott, and it was funny how so many SNES games had their credits littered with pseudonims. :D

Unison

I'm putting together a 4-pack purchase for the PC version of this on Steam... Looking for two more folks... If anyone's interested, reply here.

It would be $11.25 instead of $15. I'm happy to do the purchase and send out keys.

Played a game online earlier with some randoms on Steam, it was going well until we hit the tenth stage and two people dropped out. I solo'd the first game myself but I died so many times playing as Elf.

Nazeem38

Banned
I've got the PC version, but it won't recognize my arcade stick.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong, all my other games can find it.

Macmanus

I'm putting together a 4-pack purchase for the PC version of this on Steam... Looking for two more folks... If anyone's interested, reply here.

It would be $11.25 instead of $15. I'm happy to do the purchase and send out keys.

I'd paypal you $11.25 for the game. I'll send you my info via PM including email. Respond to my email as I really don't haunt GAF a ton.

Yes Boss!

were you hoping for HQ2xsai super eagle shitty smear filter?

I don't even know what that is. But, no I don't use any filters. I'll put this one on a CRT unfiltered and run it through a scanline generator.

But, if fricken' Iron Galaxy is going to give us a scanline option for HDTV playback at least make it visually playable and not that murky shit they do. As it stands, none of their visual options are passable for an HDTV.

Capcom needs to ditch this porting house.

Don't worry: still buying for my 360, getting retail disc for my PS3...and will likely get it on Wii U for Gamepad support.

Unison

Okay, one more Steam copy of the PC version available.... If anyone's interested, reply here and PM me for paypal details.

It would be $11.25 instead of $15.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The title says it all. No matter how good those BioWare and Interplay RPGs get, these games made me enjoy D&D. Heck, I grew up in a conservative home. I only knew of devils in console games. But this game changed it all.

Tain

Probably because these games can't be 1:1 on a modern display without the result being a tiny window with a messed up aspect ratio.

Probably because these games can't be 1:1 on a modern display without the result being a tiny window with a messed up aspect ratio.

I already deleted the game so I don't know if it was running in 1080p or 720p, but 1536x896 or 1152x672 would have been fine for a 1:1 mode, respectively. Or at least give us some screen height/width sliders. Maybe I'm being petty, but the included filters are crap and the nearest neighbor upscaling just looks awful.

What I don't get is when somebody plays a Cleric and doesn't use Hold Person/Continual Light against Tell'rin. It's a free win. Hell I played with a Cleric earlier who didn't even use Turn Undead. wtf

Turn Undead kills undead instantly. However, if used on Ghouls, they don't drop scrolls. You gotta kill the Ghouls normally and they'll drop scrolls. Use on skellies for best impact, cause Skellies drop garbage anyway.

Also, if you're in a party....let the Cleric pick up the Level 2 scrolls. That's the slot for healing. Mages and Elves should steer clear of level 2 scrolls.

fionel

of all the efforts they put into unnecessary stuff like redrawing all the item icons in HD in the collection screen, they couldn't be bothered to fix the "stickiness" of the hold-attack move (and arguably, a few other remnant quirks from the original)...

Turn Undead kills undead instantly. However, if used on Ghouls, they don't drop scrolls. You gotta kill the Ghouls normally and they'll drop scrolls. Use on skellies for best impact, cause Skellies drop garbage anyway.

Well that's just it. He wasn't turning the skeletons or the ghouls. Needless to say this made some boss-fights a lot more troublesome than they should have been.

OH! Another crash to desktop. This time I wasn't even playing online.

Also, if you're in a party....let the Cleric pick up the Level 2 scrolls. That's the slot for healing. Mages and Elves should steer clear of level 2 scrolls.

Good advice! Thanks.

Odin Sphere and Muramasa were good games too.

Sorry, Odin Sphere is the worst game I've ever played, so I don't plan on touching a Vanillaware game ever again. Even looking at their game's graphics makes me nauseous. I can't fathom why people who know about the classic Capcom arcade games would even waste time with a Vanillaware game, that's the only reason I sidetracked this topic.

It's interesting to know Kamitani worked in Tower of Doom, but it's clear he barely had any responsibility in the quality of the game.

Enron

Banned
This fucking game won't recognize my controller....but only in multiplayer. What the fuck.

This game is all kinds of levels of jank

Quixzlizx

I need to figure out how to play. I wasn't doing anything other than button mashing, and couldn't really figure out my moveset other than dash attacking.

Also, my Elf spells seemed to blow chunks. I think I'm just not doing it right.

I need to figure out how to play. I wasn't doing anything other than button mashing, and couldn't really figure out my moveset other than dash attacking.

I saw a really great post on this on Something Awful.

Sarkozymandias said:
UNIQUE MOVES FOR SHADOW OF MYSTARA

A lot of it is basic fighting game motions, but here's everything off the top of my head.

I will refer to the Attack button as A and the Jump button as B from here forward.

---
Spellcasting/Inventory Primer:
Inventory button scrolls through items. If you are a spellcaster you will have one or two pages of spells in addition to useable items. You switch pages with B while the inventory is open.

Basically every useable item is a thing you throw at things you don't like. Sometimes they're bottles filled with wind, fire, and all that kind of thing.
Shield classes can also select a Guard command that just makes their Use Item button into a shield block, but you can block without doing so. Otherwise its only purpose is to keep you from fatfingering a consumable item which is a problem some people have.

Lightning Bolt: Casts in direction you are facing, during casting can be aimed at up to a 45 degree angle.

Wall of Flame: Casts line in direction you are facing, during casting animation make 360 motion to surround yourself with flames before shooting the line normally.

Conjure Elemental: Deals full screen fire damage if facing left, cold damage if facing right.

I think those are the only special input spells.

Weapons and Wands can be equipped for their respective classes by using them as items in the inventory wheel thing.
---
Block: Hold A + Back with any shield-user, can Riposte by tapping forward after blocking successfully.

Dash: Double tap and hold forward, can follow up with an attack or just headbutt things to knock them away.

Backdash: Double Tap B, has invincibility frames on every character as far as I know, a lot on M.User.

Crouch: Down + B, continue holding B in Tower of Doom, in Mystara it's a toggle you can cancel by hitting B again.

Slide: Hadoken + B (quarter-circle down to forward), CAN BE USED TO QUICKLY PICK UP LOOT AND INFURIATE YOUR FRIENDS (always do this)

Superjump: Down-Up + B, can do a diagonal input so you're not just bouncing up and down.

Downstab: Down + A while airborne, has nice pogo effect with Elf

Knockdown: Forward + A, has a bit of a windup, spammable Dagger Stab with M.User instead, does small damage with a chance to crit for a lot

Charge Attack: Hadoken + A (quarter-circle down to forward), the Fighter and Dwarf's bread, N/A for M.User

Aerial Attack: Down-Up + A, the Fighter and Dwarf's butter, N/A for M.User. Can combo from Charge to Aerial attack and fucking eviscerate groups and bosses alike.

Desperation Attack: A + B, costs health when damaging enemies, seems to have invincibility frames, TURN UNDEAD for Cleric instead, absolutely destroys skeletons on the screen, spammable

Thieves can double jump and wall jump, it's probably fairly obvious how to do that.

Thieves can also STEAL by dashing into enemies, good way to knock stuff loose especially ***UNIQUE BOSS DROPS like Manticore Skin***

Thieves can also CLIMB ONTO THINGS AND BACKSTAB THEM by being close behind something attacking your countrymen and tapping Back-Forward + A.

A lot of the special attacks and moves can cancel into each other. With practice become a whirling dervish of devastation and then slide across the silver tears of your fallen enemies before triumphantly holding your weapon up to the gods above and shouting HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
---

GENERAL TIPS

-Silver throwing weapons can do extra damage to some enemies, as well as enemies that are otherwise highly resistant to non-magical attacks.

-Throwing Hammers have a high chance to stun. Important for bosses. If you're a non-magic user, especially, learn to use these.

-Burning Oils are good and can do friendly fire, Large Burning Oils are better.

-If your class can't use something, it won't let you pick it up, so don't be shy. If you have multiple spellcasters you will have to fight for your scrolls' love.

-In Shadows, you can select a different costume for your character by selecting them with Start/CTRL instead of another button. This also slightly alters two or three of your spells for Clerics and M.Users.

-There is a lot of hidden shit in the different levels and paths where you can find unique equipment. EXPLORE. BRING A THIEF. Letting everyone be able to unlock chests with a house rule also does not make Thieves useless since they are still a very good fightin' class with a ton of mobility that can detect traps.

-Other stuff I will think of eventually.

There's also a really useful guide on GameFAQs that covers a ton of stuff.

Edgeward

d, u + attack

qcf + attack

f + attack

There are some char specific ones too. Like the thief can throw a flame bottle after her aerial attack and has a grab (b, f + attack) when behind an enemy that allows you to stab, stab, stab.

Don't button mash. Time the attacks, otherwise the combo attacks will not come out.

Some Elf tips: -

1. War machine can be dispatched easily by doing the jump, down+attack. Elf can bounce up to 5 times on it.

2. Knock Tel'Arin down, stand over his body, throw one burning oil, attack, when attack hits, stand over his body, throw one burning oil, rinse & repeat.

3. When Man-scorpion does his jump, land and explode move, you can pull him down from that animation with Ice Storm. You can use all your spells at Man Scorpion cause your spells refreshes at the end of this stage.

4. You can't cast spells when Beholder is facing you. Jump, down+attack trick also works on Beholder. Magic Missile works great on it, cause he's the only target in the screen..and spells refresh after Beholder stage.

....and I forgot the rest of the bosses for now. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom