• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara |OT| Wel-Wel-Wel-Welcome to the D&D world!

Chairhome

ports should disable continues tbh, there's no arcade ops to please by letting players cheat themselves and get beat by the game. it's just being mean to people.

leave in a practice mode for getting better in later stages

good idea yes/yes

No. You can have an option to toggle continues, but removing continues altogether is a terrible idea.

------------------

I was keen on getting this for Wii U, but I might opt for that 4-pack on PC now... Maybe double dip later.

They lost the source code and the employees that made it got sucked into another dimension (Sega excuse).

If this port is successful Sega could always tap M2 to do Golden Axe: RoDA.
Porting what is essentially a licensed beatemup is a bit of a gamble on Capcom's part, and Sega plays it far safer than they ever have these days.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You know, I just realized the leaderboards are kinda bullshit, too. Only "Most XP Earned" and "Most SP Earned" categories. So it's just basically "Who's played the game the most". No "Fastest Time" or "Fewest Continues" categories or anything like that which would make players want to get better at the game. Hell, I don't even think the game keeps track of those for your personal records. Really disappointing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You know, I just realized the leaderboards are kinda bullshit, too. Only "Most XP Earned" and "Most SP Earned" categories. So it's just basically "Who's played the game the most". No "Fastest Time" or "Fewest Continues" categories or anything like that which would make players want to get better at the game. Hell, I don't even think the game keeps track of those for your personal records. Really disappointing.
Wait, they let you submit your score even if you continue? :|

I hope this doesn't carry over to the JP PS3 disc release.

Skilletor

ports should disable continues tbh, there's no arcade ops to please by letting players cheat themselves and get beat by the game. it's just being mean to people.

good idea yes/yes

Or you could just not continue and start over when you die.

Wait, they let you submit your score even if you continue? :|

Well...
In Tower of Doom your score resets when you continue, but in Shadow Over Mystara it doesn't.

So eh.
I'm sure this will be fixed in the retail edition...along with everything else.
*sigh* I really shouldn't have bought this.

I already do that. I'm looking out for others.
They call it self-control for a reason.

Glad I waited.
It's bullshit that Capcom is even doing this. Limiting what looks to be the superior product to a single console and at over twice the price is incredibly shameful.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really just wish it kept track of things like fastest time and least continues used. I mean, I'm not very good at the game. It just took me over 40 continues to beat Mystara with the thief. But I'd like to be able to see if that's more or less continues than it took me to beat it with the Elf. I guess I'll just have to keep track of it in a Notepad file or something.

Syril

good idea yes/yes

There's a mode that disables continues.

kick51

Banned

good idea yes/yes

You can always limit yourself. People who want continues can't add it in themselves.

bad idea.

But devs should put in a separate mode/option that limits it for you.

edit: nevermind, i see they've done that. I haven't dug into the menus at all in this yet lol

Is there even any concrete details on what the JP retail release will add/fix? It seems like everything wrong with this port is getting brushed aside and being said "itll be fixed in the JP retail release", which is a little weird.

Is there even any concrete details on what the JP retail release will add/fix? It seems like everything wrong with this port is getting brushed aside and being said "itll be fixed in the JP retail release", which is a little weird.

The JP retail release is being handled by the original dev.
In practically all cases this means a superior product.
A lot of the finer details are unknown but we do know the retail release supports playing as the same character(4 elves, 4 fighters, etc), and color-editing. This says to me that some work was done on the game itself and not just the front end.
The video options look to be better as well.
It would be really impressive if they dug deep and fixed some of the problems with the original games.

The online play is the only worrying aspect, but IMO it can't be much worse than what's on the port we have now.

It's more than a little annoying that Capcom has the original devs but they never considered having them do anything all these years. Yes I'm sure they were busy with Dragon's Dogma and whatnot. But damn if I wouldn't trade 90% of Capcom's XBLA/PSN library for a couple good spiritual sequels to AD&D, AvP, or Cadillac's & Dinosaurs.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, the thief's kick move (the "use item" button when you don't have an item equipped) is kinda overpowered against most bosses. With a couple of exceptions, it's a one-hit stun, which you can follow up with a down-attack or two.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, just had my first official 2p Playthrough of Shadows over Mystara... Wow. Once you start getting into all the finer details of spell usage, enemy weaknesses, move pacing, cancelling, juggling, and strategy, it gets so satisfying!

Though I always look at a game like this and wonder "who properly played and appreciated any of this in an arcade?!?" I can just imagine everyone fast-forwarding everything, and not paying any attention to what's really going on, ha.

A Cleric X Thief run, and I swear all they wanted to do is give us Fighter Swords and Magic User Rods... ha. Growing up that spell tree was pretty nice, though I wish my Earthquake and Insect Swarm spells felt more worthwhile against the things I WANTED to use them on.

The only "issue" I've encountered on 360, is that buying from the trial never brought up a "Save to hard Drive" option for me, so my first 57 mins of playing through Tower of Doom were lost after exiting the game :( But since then, no issues. I was even able to stop half-way through SoD (was sleepy last night), and resume today, with both me and Offline Co-Op partner having our character full info saved for resuming.

It's such a shame, because almost everything I see in this game, is exactly what I'd want as an online/offline co-op-focused branching-path for Action RPGs. I never really felt the Diablo-a-like diversion really ever felt like a replacement; characters are so small and impersonal in games like that, that I never feel like I connect with the designs in the same way. Capcom's art back in these days was so spot-on; nameless Archetypes could become personal avatars with just enough personality to feel like "characters" by the end of the adventure.

I wish that Dragon's Dogma Vita announcement was a 2.5/2D multiplayer side-scrolling hybrid of this game, and DragDog.

SoM came out in 96? 17 Years, and yet few have tried to top the formulas of a game such as this since, and the amount of proper spiritual successors can be counted on half of a single hand? :( What the heck if wrong with gaming...

Ultimadrago

Man, the thief's kick move (the "use item" button when you don't have an item equipped) is kinda overpowered against most bosses. With a couple of exceptions, it's a one-hit stun, which you can follow up with a down-attack or two.

I like being overpowered, so I'll keep this in mind!

Tain

The screenshots from the JP version's thread make me think it's an M2 port. Which suggests that there really won't be anything in common between the two releases (aside from being two separate PS3 ports of the same games, lol).

kick51 said:
You can always limit yourself. People who want continues can't add it in themselves.
Skilletor said:
Or you could just not continue and start over when you die.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
They call it self-control for a reason.

And while limiting oneself to not using continues is exactly what I and some others do with arcade ports, the notion of avoiding continues is weird enough that these ports should do a better job of encouraging it. A lot of genuinely enthusiastic video game players simply don't realize how possible and completely different these games are when played without continues, and if the ports clearly discouraged continuing (by burying the option in a cheat menu or having continues only work in "training" or whatever), I'd expect to see a better understanding of these games all around.

The screenshots from the JP version's thread make me think it's an M2 port. Which suggests that there really won't be anything in common between the two releases (aside from being two separate PS3 ports of the same games, lol).

I was looking at screenshots of the game this morning and thought the same thing. It looks quite a bit better.

Also, just a heads up, Play Asia has the limited edition up for pre-order again. When I checked last night the listing said they were no longer taking them. I went ahead and snatched one up: http://www.play-asia.com/Dungeons_Dragons_Mystara_Eiyuu_Senki_Limited_Edition-paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-6ml3.html

EDIT: And it's dead again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And while limiting oneself to not using continues is exactly what I and some others do with arcade ports, the notion of avoiding continues is weird enough that these ports should do a better job of encouraging it. A lot of genuinely enthusiastic video game players simply don't realize how possible and completely different these games are when played without continues, and if the ports clearly discouraged continuing (by burying the option in a cheat menu or having continues only work in "training" or whatever), I'd expect to see a better understanding of these games all around.

The Ranked modes on M2 ports actually encourage this well, as well as score-attack modes on some XBLA shooters. Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds also does this with it's Score Attack Mode; You still get to use your super-powered character, but if they die in the run, it stops right there, and places you in rank from that.

Mystara at least kinda shames you with that obvious tally of your continues; My Co-Op play of 52 continues would have cost $26.00 in arcades on a .50 cent play; That's horrible, lol.

It's kinda sad that ports like these are limited in the types of price they can sell at. It'd be nice to see what pre-made games like this could get as features, if the devs could more often treat them as retail-price releases, like the upcoming JP release.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I talked with luka about it earlier on Steam today and he said this:
kula: looks like the same guys who did the ps2 sf zero fighters generation and vampire collection
kula: same color edit and options ui

And those ports are pretty great according to him. So whether it's M2 or whatever team that did those, it seems the JP retail release will be pretty good!

Skilletor

I'd expect less people overall to play them and the same people who care about 1cc'ing these games to delve in as they normally would. /shrug

Tizoc

SoM came out in 96? 17 Years, and yet few have tried to top the formulas of a game such as this since, and the amount of proper spiritual successors can be counted on half of a single hand? :( What the heck if wrong with gaming...

You say that like there should be dozens of games that followed concepts used in SoM; though even then...all that'd result in is there being more games that followed its concept and depth, which in the end wouldn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

I still find it weird that Capcom didn't put out a disc release of the M2 Capcom Arcade Cabinet release out in Japan (or even a 30$ release here would make sense honestly).

Tizoc

I still find it weird that Capcom didn't put out a disc release of the M2 Capcom Arcade Cabinet release out in Japan (or even a 30$ release here would make sense honestly).

Well wouldn't all those game total at under 1 GB or close? Would be a waste of all those GBs on a bluray disc.
Then again...there was the SEGA Genesis Collection...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You say that like there should be dozens of games that followed concepts used in SoM; though even then...it's not like it would've turned the gaming world upside down @_@

Same thing with games like Powerstone, Spikeout, Secret of Mana, PSO, Phantom Dust, or Gauntlet Legends; There's quite a few nice sub-genres of multiplayer gaming that could be explored much more, but in so many years time, we only have 1 big dev + a handful of indies attempt to make progress with these ideas. It's sad, because instead of seeing a genre grow with the times, we see it sit at the last release of "the big one!", while smaller groups try, not to surpass, but simply to reach the success another team already grasped.

The gaming world is pretty "Follow the leader"-like, too; it could be very different, if the right players made a few different steps. Imagine if Final Fantasy XI was a D&D arcade-a-like similar to Dungeon Fighter Online, but made with console gamers in mind? If Squeenix put their resources behind making a Final Fantasy multiplayer ARPG offshoot with online play like this, with well-made playable characters from every Final Fantasy available, we'd have some pretty crazy games + "clones" from other companies by now.

What would a Zelda-Style game, with that trademark Nintendo-polish be like, with this foundation? Smash Bro's-derived Gameplay with Zelda lore, all set as a co-op adventure...

Heck, how would Valve approach a Left 4 Dead with this kind of framework? Aren't there some fans out there who could absolutely LOVE the Team Fortress 2 Characters and world, but care nothing about FPS?

Anyway, just a thought. I hope this next gen of consoles brings far-reaching, inspired genre mash-ups back to gaming. The background-layer of this game gave me the satisfaction of an RPG. An extra layer of strategy and research that added very nice depth to the experience.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

good idea yes/yes
Ugh ugh ugh ugh.

I hate this smarmy "I will tell everyone else how to properly enjoy a game." attitude.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ugh ugh ugh ugh.

I hate this smarmy "I will tell everyone else how to properly enjoy a game." attitude.

Yea no shit. The game has a no continues mode and people could always you know, NOT CONTINUE.

But no, I CANT BE HAPPY UNLESS EVERYONE ELSE PLAYS HOW I WANT THEM TO PLAY.

Fuck. Right. Off.

Tain

Sidestepping the discussion on whether or not options are always a good thing, would you guys be fine if you had to open up a "CHEATS" menu and maybe give up achievements or something to turn on the option to continue? This is something I'm genuinely curious about. Kinda like how Hard Reset treats quicksaving as a cheat (because in the devs eyes it is), which I thought was a nice compromise for those that demand that advantage.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sidestepping the discussion on whether or not options are always a good thing, would you guys be fine if you had to open up a "CHEATS" menu and maybe give up achievements or something to turn on the option to continue? This is something I'm genuinely curious about. Kinda like how Hard Reset treats quicksaving as a cheat (because in the devs eyes it is), which I thought was a nice compromise for those that demand that advantage.

I don't give a single shit about achievements, so sure.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

These games were never designed to be one shotted. It's just masochism to think that's it's somehow the "true" experience.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Continuing isn't really a "cheat", and locking out the casual-favoring feature of Achievements / Trophies due to continues would counter the existence of those features in the first place; You'd basically be forcing a game to play to an even SMALLER audience than those who already play them.

If anything, it's the "hardcore" which should have to trudge through menus / put forth extra effort to configure games to do what they want, because they're the ones who care enough about games to delve deeper in than "first blush", when forming opinions.

"Prestige"-style modes would work good for this; leave the basic content all available to any gamer who dedicates time to the games, and let extra stuff left to those who play it masterfully.

Ultimately, games have to sale, and be presented in desirable ways, in order to have a chance to survive and thrive. Over-catering to the Hardcore by making only the best able to get the real rewards of the game is just a bit too harsh.

Top Bottom