• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara |OT| Wel-Wel-Wel-Welcome to the D&D world!

cj_iwakura

I take this as a sign I should avoid the PC version and wait for impressions/comparisons between the JP retail PS3 version and the PSN version? :(

As said, I experienced a hard crash on the PS3. So it might not be PC exclusive. Maybe the disc version'll fix it?

TEJ

Are the problems with this game as bad as what I hear? should I just wait to buy this game when/if they patch it? PS3 version.

Teknoman

You can check the help menu, and then press the shoulder buttons to scroll to your character. Whole move list right there.

TMONSTER

To those on PC I recommend using sweetFX it has an arcade crt emulator that looks awesome on this game.

4fV5AJa.jpg

sweetfx
C0ibYUx.jpg

Slygmous

Oh man I've waited so many years to try this game properly.

No one's playing the 360 version? I've played for a couple of hours since last night. It looks great and it plays great.

I just picked it up last night on the 360 but haven't had any time to play it yet.

RedSwirl

I think I got the Joy2Key profile working, but I don't know how accurate it is. I've never played this game before and just looked up a diagram of the Saturn version controls, and some of the terminology didn't match up with the the controls this version displayed.

If anyone wants to use or correct it here it is (it's based on a PS3 MadCatz TE Stick): http://www.mediafire.com/?pi0xi7878szxgul

AmyS

I played Tower of Doom in an arcade a couple of times but never saw Shadow over Mystara until it was emulated. I concidered getting the Saturn version but I passed since it only supported up to 2 players.

I cannot wait to read impressions of the Japanese PS3 retail release since Capcom did the porting.

Alright, now it's Sega's turn to bring us this for all our hack 'n slash needs.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Of course, the Steam version is not available in Japan. I mean it doesn't have a page on the store, so I doubt it'll be coming here at all. Sonic Generations all over again.

The Elf's downstab works wonders on the Displacer Beast as well.

Oh yes. Invisibility also works for the Displacer Beast. And Haste absolutely chews up the displacer beast as well....especially in a group.

Oh, right before you kill Dark Warrior 2, make sure your Elf/Mage is selecting an AoE spell like Ice Storm or Summon Elemental. Cause the next boss is Nagpa, and that Black Dragon always start with acid breathe. Spam the AoE spell just as the boss battle begins.

Fuck. I really wanted to play this on the PC, but Steam won't let me download it in Japan.

=(

This fucking sucks.

Edit: Thanks to using a VPN and pretending I'm from Singapore, I managed to make the purchase. Huzzah!

If anybody wants to play, my Steam ID is jtor_elliot.

Galdelico

Probably because these games can't be 1:1 on a modern display without the result being a tiny window with a messed up aspect ratio.

M2's 'dot-by-dot' option is pretty good in my opinion (see NeoGeo Station games, recent SEGA Vintage collections, CAPCOM Arcade Cabinet...).

I don't even know what that is. But, no I don't use any filters. I'll put this one on a CRT unfiltered and run it through a scanline generator.

But, if fricken' Iron Galaxy is going to give us a scanline option for HDTV playback at least make it visually playable and not that murky shit they do. As it stands, none of their visual options are passable for an HDTV.

Capcom needs to ditch this porting house.

Don't worry: still buying for my 360, getting retail disc for my PS3...and will likely get it on Wii U for Gamepad support.

I bought SFIII 3rd Strike and Marvel vs CAPCOM Origins and yeah, although I love both games on the whole, I'm not a big fan of their visual settings choice. Especially those odd scanlines... They are a proper mess, hurt my eyes and don't even simulate that well the 'old CRT effect' they clearly aim to.

Galdelico

CPS2 games aren't 4:3 natively.

Yep, I know, but I believe that specific option is there exactly for this reason, to support different resolutions/aspect-ratios and output them as flawlessly as possible on HDTVs.
Seeing how it works with NeoGeo Station games (or pre-CPS2 Arcede Cabinet games), I guess it coud do pretty well with CPS2 emulation too.

Just bought the game on steam, my username is either ricochetguro or ricochetguy. It used to force to people to add the latter despite steam not even listing me as ever having used the name (I made it with that name at first and changed it)

What do I need to do to use my arcade stick with the game?

Do I need to use one of those key binding programs? The Fusion has a built in switcher between 360 and PS3/PC. First time using it on the PC, seem to have a hard time configuring it :/

Well. I put in the 360 mode for now and it just installed as a controller. Simple enough.

ys45

Started playing this yesterday night after finishing TLoU.

Wow I'm probably rusty but the game is hard (was playing on default diff.) i continued like 4 time at the displacer beast boss .

Was playing with human fighter, guess i will need to get used to controls again, last time i played was like 5 years ago on emulator .

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, after doing a run through SoM, it's SUCH an improvement over ToD. Really wanna get the rest of the treasures (just a few scrolls for Elf & Cleric and "Figure") and finish the challenges relating to ToD so I can get back to SoM.

I don't assume there's a guide as to where items can be obtained?

Wow, after doing a run through SoM, it's SUCH an improvement over ToD. Really wanna get the rest of the treasures (just a few scrolls for Elf & Cleric and "Figure") and finish the challenges relating to ToD so I can get back to SoM.

I don't assume there's a guide as to where items can be obtained?

It's not that difficult. I think it takes 2-3 play-throughs at the maximum(due to Elves & Clerics having their own scrolls). Just keep an eye out for objects that can be pushed to find hidden rooms.
SoM on the other hand...you're gonna need a guide.

Tower of Doom Fighter 1CC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtTc4WrthUI
Note this replay is using the 2P version. I wish this was an option in the port.

Jørdan

I was really interested in this until I saw the minimum requirements, Vista> and DX11 killed any hope I could enjoy it. You know your PC is a POS when you can't even play a remake like this.

Been playing Solo on the pc for about an hour and a half, no crashes or issues what so ever aside from how horrible I am. Just reached stage 9........16 deaths ;-; Item switching is kind of frustrating due to the slowness, although I suppose that is part of the challenge/balancing. Playing with my Arcade Stick is good fun though.

hlhbk

Hmmm. PC or Wii U? It would be a record picking up 2 games for the Wii U (this and Luigi U) on the same day :0

Gannd

Banned
I'll be getting this on the Wii U for that off TV play and I'll be picking it up on the PC to play on my laptop. such a great game. Now, I want Duck Tales!

hlhbk

I'll be getting this on the Wii U for that off TV play and I'll be picking it up on the PC to play on my laptop. such a great game. Now, I want Duck Tales!

I know I will get flak for this but I have never actually played this game. I have heard great things about however. Is it really worth double dipping for it?

The only thing I don't like about ports on these kinds of games is that there is literally 0 difficulty in completing the game... Infinite continues w/ no chance at failure means there's no tension.

kick51

Banned
I don't even know what that is. But, no I don't use any filters. I'll put this one on a CRT unfiltered and run it through a scanline generator.

But, if fricken' Iron Galaxy is going to give us a scanline option for HDTV playback at least make it visually playable and not that murky shit they do. As it stands, none of their visual options are passable for an HDTV.

Capcom needs to ditch this porting house.

Don't worry: still buying for my 360, getting retail disc for my PS3...and will likely get it on Wii U for Gamepad support.

I dunno, I remember the days of Backbone still lol. I'd like Iron Galaxy to stay since the games seem fine aside from one-off issues (though this PC port sounds rough), but with new visual filters, yes. I agree the scanlines are weird. Crisp is not bad, though not what I normally use. Smooth is something I avoid in any game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not to mention there's rules you can unlock to make the game harder (& easier), like a timer that you have to refill by beating enemies quickly and a 1 credit mode.

The only thing I don't like about ports on these kinds of games is that there is literally 0 difficulty in completing the game... Infinite continues w/ no chance at failure means there's no tension.

yes, that's a huge problem in these games. people stop playing when there is nothing to look forward to. it contributed to this genres downfall. limited continuing and 1cc incentives would have been better. but that's game design. it's not the focus of most devs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
PR is up on this week's downloads & it seems D&D isn't part of it. Maybe next week.

I've just heard that it's still in the approval process for the Wii U version.

Risette

A Good Citizen
ports should disable continues tbh, there's no arcade ops to please by letting players cheat themselves and get beat by the game. it's just being mean to people.

leave in a practice mode for getting better in later stages

good idea yes/yes

Tain

I already deleted the game so I don't know if it was running in 1080p or 720p, but 1536x896 or 1152x672 would have been fine for a 1:1 mode, respectively. Or at least give us some screen height/width sliders. Maybe I'm being petty, but the included filters are crap and the nearest neighbor upscaling just looks awful.

If I had to choose between the original 4:3 aspect ratio and clean integer scaling I'd go with the original aspect ratio, so I understand why it looks the way it does, but it does seem weird to not include an integer scaling option (like M2 ports). The filtering options are all pretty bad, for sure, so that's just another reason for me to wait for the physical release.

Risette said:
ports should disable continues tbh, there's no arcade ops to please by letting players cheat themselves and get beat by the game. it's just being mean to people.

good idea yes/yes

I think there's something to having the continue screen in there for port completion's sake, but I'd relegate it to a cheat menu option or make it only in practice mode.

good idea yes/yes

I wouldn't buy them. *shrug*
Personally I always approach beatemups in the same way. The first play-through I'll likely use a ton of credits, but in each subsequent play-through I'll attempt to cut into that number.

Top Bottom