• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Surprised no one has posted about this game yet. It's a very well done Rogue-like with tons of customization, great writing, random dungeons, tons of loot, crafting, alchemy... you name it.

It came out today and it's very good. And it's less than $5.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/

ss_28746fef6b0a112306edfb455fc171e449c18a24.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d9be6b09534450fc0e80e0a63dc8cc507ff88588.1920x1080.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it along with that other indie RPG set that everyone is talking about. I look forward to checking them all out this weekend.

Emitan

pillarofdawn said:
What is this? Are you trying to sell me this game? The combat looks kinda bland :/
It's a roguelike. You move into something and you attack. It attacks back. You can use abilities too. So can they. Roguelikes are about strategy, not flashy combat.

I sank hundreds of hours into Rogue on my amber monochrome display back in the mid-80s.

Dungeons is just as tough and challenging but has a great sense of humor. I'm really enjoying it and will doubtless sink tons of time into it... all for $5. It's definitely, absolutely worth it so far.

Posted this in the Steam thread but I think I'm more likely to get an answer here SO:

Are the listed system requirements for real? A Core 2 Duo seems like an awful lot for a sprite-based roguelike. Anyone try this on a weaker system?

Emitan

Rummy Bunnz said:
Posted this in the Steam thread but I think I'm more likely to get an answer here SO:

Are the listed system requirements for real? A Core 2 Duo seems like an awful lot for a sprite-based roguelike. Anyone try this on a weaker system?
I can give it a try on my netbook later. It does seem weird the game would require a Core 2 Duo.

hampig

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been having a little rpg craving lately but my desktop is down until my ram arrives, and my laptop is definitely not the best. Any suggestions on other good roguelikes for pc? Or just rpgs in general? Preferably not of the diablo/witcher variety.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Rummy Bunnz said:

I'd imagine that "core 2 duo" is basically as low as requirements go nowadays for new releases. I can't imagine this game requiring one.

nexen

I really, really dislike the art. I'm not sure I can get over that. Wish there was a demo because spending $5 more on games after the steam sale seems downright hedonistic.

WanderingWind said:
Eschalon?
Eschalon is awesome.

Emitan

hampig said:
This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been having a little rpg craving lately but my desktop is down until my ram arrives, and my laptop is definitely not the best. Any suggestions on other good roguelikes for pc? Or just rpgs in general? Preferably not of the diablo/witcher variety.
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty much my favorite roguelike ever.

FlyinJ said:
I'd imagine that "core 2 duo" is basically as low as requirements go nowadays for new releases. I can't imagine this game requiring one.
I also can't imagine it requiring one unless it's really unoptimized, but Cthulhu just says "Processor: 1.6Ghz or higher" so it's not like there's some minimum minimum requirement.

Billychu said:
I can give it a try on my netbook later. It does seem weird the game would require a Core 2 Duo.
I'd really appreciate that!

Emitan

I'm very short on time, so I could only test for a minute but my netbook (1.66 Ghz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, Windows 7) seems to run the game fine. It seemed a tad slow, but perfectly playable. Later tonight I'll put some time into it to see if it still runs fine when I'm actually in a dungeon populated with enemies.

Enk

makes good threads.
Saw this first the first time earlier today on Steam. Checked out the trailer and said "Yep, that's for me" . So far it has been a pretty competent rogue-like. UI is clean and easy to navigate, a good amount of character customization, and lots of charm and attention to detail. Definitely going to be a time sinker for me.

Billychu said:
I'm very short on time, so I could only test for a minute but my netbook (1.66 Ghz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, Windows 7) seems to run the game fine. It seemed a tad slow, but perfectly playable. Later tonight I'll put some time into it to see if it still runs fine when I'm actually in a dungeon populated with enemies.
Thanks! I'll probably grab it now.

Sye d'Burns

I'm really enjoying this so far. There is room for improvement but it's fairly solid. I love the crafting. I'll just drop this here as well.

Sye d'Burns said:
In addition to being unable to move diagonally in Dungeons of Dredmor, it looks like the steam overlay crashes the game when in fullscreen if shift-tabbed.

Found this thread at Quarter to Three forums while looking for some answers about my inability to move diagonally. I guess I need to accept it as a design decision. It makes it harder to plan attacks on multiple targets. Speaking of which, the game will lay a beatdown upon you if you're careless, even on level 1.

The crafting system in the game is pretty snazzy. I loves me some crafting.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pro-tip:

You can walk around using WASD. It allows you to continuously walk, as well as keeping your fingers around the relevant keys.

Pro-tip 2:

Shift clicking on an item automatically puts it in your bag. If you have an item on your cursor, clicking on yourself in the dungeon puts it in your bag.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This game is seriously awesome and addicting.

The item, skill,alchemy, trap making etc systems are really well put together.

:)

Sye d'Burns said:
I'm really enjoying this so far. There is room for improvement but it's fairly solid. I love the crafting. I'll just drop this here as well.

Diagonal movement isn't something you usually get in a rogue-like.

Gattsu25 said:
I'm trying to think of roguelikes that don't have diagonal movement and I can't think of any..

Derp, I meant tile based movement, not diagonal. Eventually I'll get used to waking up at 6am every day.

Emitan

Jenga said:
how is it compared to this?
I haven't put any time into DoD yet, but DCSS is not as silly and is either played through a console or has a crappy looking tiles interface. It's probably deeper and more complex than DoD, but again, I haven't really played DoD yet.

sophora

Been looking into this, I love rogue-likes. I'll pass on it for now, but I'm sure I'll end up getting it sometime soon.

Not bad. What looks like a surprising amount of substance for a super-cheap game of this sort. Interesting skills and stats and everything.

Wish I could attack by just moving into the monster, like in basically all other roguelikes. Steam overlay doesn't seem to be loading with the game at all (despite the box being checked in the game's properties), so I can't see the leaderboards assuming they exist; maybe this is related to the crash someone mentioned earlier. The scaling checkbox in the launcher always reverts to checked, too, which is a little annoying.

Emitan

slidewinder said:
Not bad. What looks like a surprising amount of substance for a super-cheap game of this sort. Interesting skills and stats and everything.

Wish I could attack by just moving into the monster, like in basically all other roguelikes. Steam overlay doesn't seem to be loading with the game at all (despite the box being checked in the game's properties), so I can't see the leaderboards assuming they exist; maybe this is related to the crash someone mentioned earlier. The scaling checkbox in the launcher always reverts to checked, too, which is a little annoying.
Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed at how mouse driven the game is. I mainly play Crawl with tiles because I can't remember all the commands but I still use my keyboard 70% of the time. It just feels weird using a mouse all the time in a roguelike.

Appears to be really difficult so far. Haven't been able to get off the first floor in 3 gos. Definitely lots of number crunching and tactical options, too.

Wallach said:

My brain crossed wires when I read the original quoted statement. That's all really.

I'm like the walking dead right now. My daughter started kindergarten so my wife has to go into work early so she can get home in time to get her and that also means I have to wake up earlier to get our kids to school. Since I'm used to getting to sleep around 1am, I haven't adjusted yet, so I end up with 4-5 hours of sleep. I just spent way too long explaining this, back to talking about the game.

Has anyone tried stealing from Brax yet? His suit scares me. I also wish there was a way to break down items or sell them. Of course this might exist, I didn't do the tutorial and just jumped right in.

Top Bottom