• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Oh, never mind. That voting page with the dual-staff setup depends on 1.05's version of Vampirism. It would definitely be weaker now than it was then.

I'm going to assume that Vampirism probably isn't the way to go since I found melee combat to be pretty weak in this version, at least for early floors. Obviously I'm missing something (I haven't tried Smithing).

alstein

Oh, never mind. That voting page with the dual-staff setup depends on 1.05's version of Vampirism. It would definitely be weaker now than it was then.

I'm going to assume that Vampirism probably isn't the way to go since I found melee combat to be pretty weak in this version, at least for early floors. Obviously I'm missing something (I haven't tried Smithing).

Smithing got nerfed hard as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there no way to play by keyboard only? It seems I can't open doors with the keyboard and have to use the mouse to open doors instead of just using it for inventory management.

Bebpo

Banned
I started playing this for the first time and got totally addicted and played three hours straight. I just got to floor 7 and the game seems impossible for my guy at this point. The main problem is that I just can't find enough healing items and I'm constantly taking damage every fight since enemies usually hit me about 33% of the time and at this floor they do like 15-20 damage per hit so I blow through healing items I do find and never have any.

Is there a build that lets you like magically create food/healing out of nothing? I'm doing dual-wield axe + berserk + dodge + trap finding + smith.

alstein

I started playing this for the first time and got totally addicted and played three hours straight. I just got to floor 7 and the game seems impossible for my guy at this point. The main problem is that I just can't find enough healing items and I'm constantly taking damage every fight since enemies usually hit me about 33% of the time and at this floor they do like 15-20 damage per hit so I blow through healing items I do find and never have any.

Is there a build that lets you like magically create food/healing out of nothing? I'm doing dual-wield axe + berserk + dodge + trap finding + smith.

Big Game Hunter
Psionics
Fleshsmithing are the big 3 for that.
Fungal Arts can work also (Fairywodgers)

I just started the game for first time and I have no idea which skills to pick. D: I'm looking at the wiki right now, since the game doesn't seem to be very informative.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok, I'm having a really good time with this game so far, but today I got hit with a completely random and annoying bug on my save file. At completely random times my character starts teleporting like crazy. That's it. I move an inch, he teleports. And so on. I don't see a curse icon or anything, I just lose complete control over my guy, forever. I thought it only happened on one floor, but then I went back to floor one, and out of the blue it starts happening again : random teleporting. I don't even have the teleport skill or step on the teleport tiles. It happens out of nowhere.

What the hell is this, anyone ever run into this?

edit : seems to be a pretty common recent bug. There's an experimental fix, thank god it works...

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I just started the game for first time and I have no idea which skills to pick. D: I'm looking at the wiki right now, since the game doesn't seem to be very informative.

It's been a few days, but I thought I'd participate a little more and share my current build. I'm by no means a power gamer or well versed in the stats but this has definitely been the best for me on Going Rogue.

• Unarmed Combat
  • Shields
  • Armor
  • Dodge
  • Perception
  • Burglary

Since Deadshot is now as dead as a doornail, the seventh skill can be anything you like (I tend to add something damaging like berserking or assassination). There's room to experiment and I find it so hard (or harder :p) to actually get hit with the added blocking, dodging and damage absorbtion. Remember that an unarmed character kicks enemies in the shins so he or she can carry two shields at once! Dodging has some awesome new abilities like short range teleporting or counterattacking when a dodge successfully takes place.

nesmar

I've been obsessed with this game and this is the best melee build I could think of.

Axes
Enemies can't dodge or counter crits, which is huge late game, plus the damage is nice. Even with a focus on crits I have over 40 counter chance at floor 11.

Killer Vegan
The stat boosts are too good, plus it makes a good chunk of the enemies in the game harmless and even helpful to you. Probably overpowered, but at the same time animal road blocks can be very annoying.

Demonologist
Open zoo, find a decent position, cast celestial circle, slaughter zoo. Not sure if this is worth leveling further.

Duel Wield
Only need one point in this, but the passives are nice when you have nothing else to raise.

Assassination
Not that great in general, but more crit for axes is always nice. This could be replaced, but I don't think I would.

Fungal Arts
Way too good for one point of investment. Every build has one point skills and this is probably the best one. Micromanaging the spores can be tiresome though.

Crossbow
This is more of a late-game skill for this build. Being able to attack from range starts to become more important and you can still damage enemies without leaving your Celestial Circle.

Fou-Lu

I'm really determined to actually beat this game on going rogue, but I'm having a hard time creating a skill build that will take me far. Any suggestions? I'm fine with it being overpowered, I just want to beat the game before my buddies.

Wallach

Been playing again this afternoon since I haven't done any of the Diggle expansion stuff.

Really enjoying all the changes since I last played. There are so many new items and monsters, and almost all of the skills are different now. Even found a recipe to craft something out of a wizard's sleeve (it was like a one-armed leather jacket + wizard's sleeve to make a jacket of amazing). Got killed a couple times, including one suicide testing out a Narwhal Wand figuring surely narwhals are nice and it would be some kind of buff.

I stopped with the third guy on floor three, and I think I'm just about over the hump, so hopefully I'll take this guy deep enough to see the new floors.

Wallach

Anyone descended since Realm of the Diggle Gods game out? I've got a game going on floor 11 right now, and I'm just curious if Dredmor is a lot harder to kill on a 15-floor game compared to a 10-floor game.

Anyone descended since Realm of the Diggle Gods game out? I've got a game going on floor 11 right now, and I'm just curious if Dredmor is a lot harder to kill on a 15-floor game compared to a 10-floor game.

He kicked my ass pretty badly. I more or less stumbled into him (didn't think I was on B15) and was taking about 27 damage per hit despite 27 armor and the usual random assortment of resists. I think I might have eventually killed him if I had a controllable teleport (so I could make it to a red portal and heal up elsewhere) but I just couldn't escape his range in time.

Songbird

Prodigal Son

Still not reached him. Stuff like floor zero is still kicking my ass... Those slicks!

Wallach

Managed to down him. Interesting story this time:

First time I get to B15, I clear about 75% of the floor (up to around 1.9 million) and find another mysterious portal. I take it since I haven't skipped any of them to that point, and I figure why not.

So I take it and there's no fucking exit. At all. Luckily, the game makes an auto-save now when you descend a floor, so I load that and start B15 all over again.

This time, I clear maybe 15% of the floor, and the first damn door I have to kick down after running out of lockpicks, that fucker is right on the other side of. Literally one tile from him now, which is real bad. I go to leyline teleport the heck outta dodge and I click one square out of line, which is an invalid move (you can only go in straight lines with the leyline teleport) giving him a free turn, which he uses to hit me with thunder for about 70 damage. I wasn't sure if Dredmor could see through invisibility or not, so I gambled on dumping a Wyrmling in his face, thinking a healing item would do no good if he got a second turn with me as a target, which worked and he smacked it with his staff. Had he decided to just bolt me again, it would have been donezo, but instead I was able to make my teleport and invis him off me with a potion. After a few health potions, I moved back into that area leading with Wyrmling casts about 10 tiles out front, and once I hooked him on the line this time I blew his ass to kingdom come.

Unfortunately it cost me about 120,000 points since I wasn't able to go back for the rest of the level, but I'll take it. Stay free, Dredmor.

The new floors aren't too different overall, except for the diggle gods - if you happen to find one of their shrines, you can pray to it and gain their buff permanently (or until you choose a different diggle diety). I only had 3 in my game; War (which I didn't take, figured it was for melee), Digging (which was a bunch of pierce damage, health, armor and a couple other stats) and Death (which was an amazing grip of resists, 15 to just about everything, but prevented you from having health or mana regen).

Not sure if what I hit was a known bug, but I would warn everyone to ignore mysterious portals at least on B15. I did notice that the dungeon graphics were not like the other portals; it was using the tiles from B10 rather than the plain grey tiles. Be warned!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Not sure if what I hit was a known bug, but I would warn everyone to ignore mysterious portals at least on B15. I did notice that the dungeon graphics were not like the other portals; it was using the tiles from B10 rather than the plain grey tiles. Be warned!

I thought floor zero took graphics from all the others, at least I saw the Mars/wooden tilesets used there both times I tried it.

Wallach

I thought floor zero took graphics from all the others, at least I saw the Mars/wooden tilesets used there both times I tried it.

Huh, maybe it was just coincidence that I always got plain grey tiles on the others. This is the first time I've tried to descend since they added them.

Beat the game finally this morning. Was playing with 15 floors on standard difficulty, with no time to grind on. I played a pure melee character, with double axes, berserk, the shield skill, the armor skill, burglary for teleport, and fleshsmithing for the health regen. By the end I was almost invincible, and was only taking damage from enemies with very high damage in very specific damage types like divine. I tanked dredmor and he went down without too much problem (had to teleport away once to heal).

Overall I really enjoyed this game, just perhaps it was a bit too long (it seems like it would be way too long without "no time to grind" on). It would have been nice to have a few more types of melee attacks.. like for example the axenado skill, with less damage, but little or no cost so you could use it whenever you want. Anyway, it's amazing how such simple gameplay can be so fun, but it is.

(it seems like it would be way too long without "no time to grind" on.)

It is, more or less. Think multiple zoos per floor.

Though realistically my major complaint right now is still just stability. I don't think it's tenable to beat the game on OSX unless you can save and reload.

Insured

Yup. I never played anything but going rogue + permadeath, and plowing through the first few full floors every time while I was still learning and suddenly died to a single mistake started to really get tiring. Now, after the expansion and noticing the No Time to Grind option, I never looked back. I finally managed to beat the game on GR+permadeath somewhat recently, felt really good! I was getting really tired after the 12th floor though, and just skipped floors 13-15 right away and went to kill Dredmor (had all my skills maxed midway through 12, ran with Crossbows, Unarmed, Psionics, Tinkering, Archaelogy, Master of Arms and Berserker for anyone interested). Can't imagine going through the full game without No Time to Grind when this run, skipping the last few floors, took something like 7 hours already.

Either way, fantastic game and I hope they can polish some of the rough edges and make it even better. I'm pretty much set on buying whatever these guys make in the future :)

Just took down Dredmor on normal difficulty, 10 floors. Talk about tension! He took nearly 3/4 of my health the second I opened the door to his room! I managed to escape thanks to an invisibility potion, then set him on fire with a Mass Destruction bolt (I had no idea what this was going to do, I'm glad I was a good distance away) and chipped away at his health while camping by the staircase, periodically running upstairs to heal. He ended up blinking... somewhere, I don't know, and died offscreen. D:

I'm traveling for work, and I was bored so I fired this up the other night.

Theen I looked at the clock and it was 2 in the morning :\

I kind of hate the art style (but it's better than ascii I guess ;) ) but man, do I love the shit out of everything else.

Too bad I either left the game running or it ate my badass viking character. I was only on level 3 but she was killing it with an axe that spewed flame and badass viking magic :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
FSb3v.jpg

Wondering when you can begin exploring the forgotten dimensions of lost wizards? Then gather ’round, because Gaslamp Games is pleased to announce that the Conquest of the Wizardlands expansion for Dungeons of Dredmor will be launched on August 1st.

It will cost $3. Can't wait, I've been loving this game lately.

The only thing the new expansion doesn't seem to have that I'd want is Bagwars. Can't wait.

Hmm? http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/06/27/conquest-of-the-wizardlands-pocket-dimensions-banksters/

But let’s back up a bit from all that and talk about limited inventory space.

Inventory has been a problem in Dredmor forever. This is of course a game based around finding piles upon piles of silly objects in the grand tradition of looting that made games like Diablo strangely compelling. We need the multitude of items for the sake of the act of looting as well as to be a vehicle for delivering so much of the humor and backstory – such as it is – of the Dredmor universe. In short, Dredmor wouldn’t be Dredmor without all the useless crap lying around.

Players, however, tend to be driven rather mad by the highly limited space in their inventory, and quickly, as it can be filled up within the first dungeon level. People write us letters about just how awful this is, trust me, and we read them.

Yes, we could just make the inventory infinitely large. But this creates a few problems: of UI implementation (which can be fairly simple, if potentially tedious to use), and of gameplay balance (which is not so simple). Apart from skills & spells, items are the solutions to problems met in the course of gameplay, so allowing the player to hold every single item in the game means they can solve any problem in the game by shuffling about in their bag and pulling out the magic wizzawoozle. Worse yet, this makes every game of Dredmor rather similar by allowing the player every option at the same time rather than forcing them to make choices about what they will take with them and what they will leave. Take the wizard hat OR the knightly helm, not both.

Ideally the player has to make hard decisions about the set of solutions they will have on-hand to deal with the dungeon. See for example our 7-skill system that both limits and enables gameplay (– far more elegantly than our limited inventory system, I must concede).

So: The Pocket Dimension gives you an effectively infinite inventory with the gameplay-relevant friction of a 32 or so turn cooldown on using the portal key.

At least it's MY clutter in here.

Is that what you are looking for, or am I not properly understanding.

Is that what you are looking for, or am I not properly understanding.

In KOTD's most famous arc (per the link), the protagonists have literally the same device as Gaslamp - a "bag world" or Dr.Who style non-conforming infinite space. Only, two problems occur:

1. The protagonists leave behind an entire army in their bag for so long that they form their own autonomous country inside of the bagworld. (So literally reaching into the bag has some unfortunate consequences)

2. An item is discovered that allows for the user to travel to random bagworlds (think of the Matrix and how they could use keys to go to completely different places through any door).

What Gaslamp has built is the core bagworld; a risk-free, presumably large space where you can dump your loot (great!). My original comment was saying that the only thing is missing is that unified bagworld theory - what if your items were not actually that safe? What happens to the items left behind? What happens if you could teleport into the bagworlds of previously slain adventurers on your install? That sort of thing.

The overall scope of what KOTD suggested is obviously pretty big, but roguelikes often follow the idea of finding and looting the corpses of old savefiles, so it's not completely without precedent. I just like the idea of adding some intrigue to that personal space.

Wallach

I had no idea another expansion was coming out for Dredmor. Got damn, between EVO and this news, today is a fucking good day.

In KOTD's most famous arc (per the link), the protagonists have literally the same device as Gaslamp - a "bag world" or Dr.Who style non-conforming infinite space. Only, two problems occur:

1. The protagonists leave behind an entire army in their bag for so long that they form their own autonomous country inside of the bagworld. (So literally reaching into the bag has some unfortunate consequences)

2. An item is discovered that allows for the user to travel to random bagworlds (think of the Matrix and how they could use keys to go to completely different places through any door).

What Gaslamp has built is the core bagworld; a risk-free, presumably large space where you can dump your loot (great!). My original comment was saying that the only thing is missing is that unified bagworld theory - what if your items were not actually that safe? What happens to the items left behind? What happens if you could teleport into the bagworlds of previously slain adventurers on your install? That sort of thing.

The overall scope of what KOTD suggested is obviously pretty big, but roguelikes often follow the idea of finding and looting the corpses of old savefiles, so it's not completely without precedent. I just like the idea of adding some intrigue to that personal space.

Ahh okay, I understand what you are saying then. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone else still play this? i have over 200 hrs in it and love it. The newest patch made it so Diggles actually dig! They will come out of the ground, its pretty cool.

i just got the achievement for equiping both Imperial Boilerplate and the Imperial Boilerplate Helm. Finally doing a build with tinkering and crafting. I'm a melee build so not quite sure how i'm going to beat Lord Dredmor heh but should be fun.

I crafted the 'Hexaxe of the Magic Axe Lords' which has a chance of giving me the 'Killing Blow' move even without choosing the Beserk skill.

Top Bottom