• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Chrysalis

Does anybody know whether the game has an "end" beyond dying? I know that most roguelikes end in death, but some like Shiren at least have a potential winning scenario.

Wallach

Chrysalis said:
Does anybody know whether the game has an "end" beyond dying? I know that most roguelikes end in death, but some like Shiren at least have a potential winning scenario.

I believe this game does have a potential win scenario @ floor 20.

I'm a little concerned about the random CTDs reported on their forum. I'd prefer to play with permadeath on, but losing the entire file any time one occurs is an unpleasant idea.

Emitan

YGhOd.png

Yay. I had a really good run (was only character level 3, but eh) until I ran into a unique mob.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
I believe this game does have a potential win scenario @ floor 20.

I'm a little concerned about the random CTDs reported on their forum. I'd prefer to play with permadeath on, but losing the entire file any time one occurs is an unpleasant idea.

Self-enforced permadeath is best. That way you can save as you can just in case you fall victim to a CTD, or you need to quit the game for a while, etc.

Just start a new game if you ever die.

Emitan

So far I haven't seen any altars. I'm guessing there's no religion system. Sadface.

EDIT: Holy crap how are you supposed to play a mage? I just die. Golemancy's first spell is pretty terrible so that doesn't help me until I'm a higher level.

mrgone

So are the mushrooms in this game like potions in other roguelikes? I've only used a couple, and havn't really paid attention as to whether the effects change from playthrough to playthrough (well, death to death). It seems like you can grow your own with spores, though! The crafting systems in this game are so neat, I just want to live long enough to use them ;)

Rummy Bunnz said:
Posted this in the Steam thread but I think I'm more likely to get an answer here SO:

Are the listed system requirements for real? A Core 2 Duo seems like an awful lot for a sprite-based roguelike. Anyone try this on a weaker system?
At first I was kind of laughing at the core 2 duo requirement, but I'm finding some larger rooms chugging on my i5-750 :D It doesn't really harm the gameplay, but it's weird to see. I think it might have something to do with all the tiles and light calculations?

Sye d'Burns said:
I stumbled upon this handy dandy legend and thought it worth posting. I've never been quite sure what half of these symbols meant.
Wired All Wrong said:
This might be useful for people too.
Right-click, save as! Thanks so much for these! Saves a lot of tooltip hunting :)

This games addictive, I was only meant to play for half an hour and ended up spending about 2 hours on top of that... I've just got one question so far, what's the point of jewels? Should I just not be wasting inventory space on them?

Emitan

mrgone said:
At first I was kind of laughing at the core 2 duo requirement, but I'm finding some larger rooms chugging on my i5-750 :D It doesn't really harm the gameplay, but it's weird to see. I think it might have something to do with all the tiles and light calculations?
My netbook can run the game decently. Strange.

Billychu said:
So far I haven't seen any altars. I'm guessing there's no religion system. Sadface.

EDIT: Holy crap how are you supposed to play a mage? I just die. Golemancy's first spell is pretty terrible so that doesn't help me until I'm a higher level.

As a mage I spec golemancy, the fire spells, ley magics, mathemagics, blood magics, staves and psionics. Blade golems are actually the most useful spell for that particular spec I find, you just kinda have to anticipate where the monster is going to walk and place it there, pretty much 1 shots any mob on floor 1. Don't cast it on the mob directly or else it'll just be placed randomly. As for skills max out ley magics asap and then blood magic, and you'll never have mana problems again. When a mob is in melee range kill them with dragon's breath or just put them to sleep and place more blade golems around them.

I just ran that spec and died when because i was impatiently trying to disarm a poison gargoyle trap =(. My other character that I've played today was a melee tanky warrior and I got him onto floor 3 before my game crashed. Was going so good too. Oh well, I learned my lesson and am now playing with no permadeaths until they fix the crashes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man this game is *dangerous*. I sit down to play it for a bit and in what feels like 5 minutes, like 3 hours go by. Good god.

NBtoaster said:
Why isn't FRAPS or the Steam Community showing up in game for me? I'm playing at 1920x1080 with smooth scaling..
It's not showing up for anybody, AFAIK. When the game first released, someone here mentioned it crashing when shift-tabbing to the overlay, so I wonder if they maybe disabled it for now with an emergency patch.

NBtoaster

slidewinder said:
It's not showing up for anybody, AFAIK. When the game first released, someone here mentioned it crashing when shift-tabbing to the overlay, so I wonder if they maybe disabled it for now with an emergency patch.

Oh. At least it still counts achievements.

Berksy

Steam is updating it;

Changelog:

- Fixed: the random crashing bug when fading out audio.
- Fixed: save games getting corrupted when using shield bearer skills
- Fixed: save games getting corrupted when deleting quests
- Fixed: infinite XP trap exploit
- Fixed: infinite gold trap exploit
- Upgraded the soundtrack to the latest mastered version

I am going to roll an unarmed vampire. Any tips?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is there a way to like, zoom out or something? The main (not the mini map) view is way too small really, especially vertically with that huge HUD of theirs... I'd like to play with the graphics @ their native resolution, or 2x if they're too small, just with more of the playing area in view to fill up the rest of the space in a high resolution window...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Berksy said:
I am going to roll an unarmed vampire. Any tips?

Get yourself the next vampire skill asap or you'll die miserably.
The first time I played a vampire I chose something else first, and you need to heal yourself outside of the fights.

Wallach

If you're having trouble early, I'd suggest taking a skill like Astrology (for Radiant Aura) or maybe Archeology (to reroll artifacts). I also personally think the Wand skill is a good one to start with since it will give you three Wand of Lasers at the outset, and wands in general are pretty powerful so the later skills remain useful.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
poppedcollar69 said:
Here's a tip... don't put a horadric lutefisk cube into a horadric lutefisk cube.

Why? You only need one anyway.

And btw, I gave the lutefisk god about 11 lutefisk, but nothing happened. What is it for?

Wallach

Toma said:
Why? You only need one anyway.

And btw, I gave the lutefisk god about 11 lutefisk, but nothing happened. What is it for?

The shrine will reward you when you have tithed enough. The threshold is random per shrine, but I've seen it require as much as 90 and as low as like 10 or 15.

I bought this along with the Zeboyd RPG combo pack.
I haven't been much into roguelikes (only played Shiren for SNES), but I quite like this.
I'm doing pretty well with my mage monk; unarmed, evasion and mage skills. I really like astrology for starting with a shield that does damage and psykinesis starting with a sleep.
Only thing that bothers me right now is that there is no option to scale the HUD.

mrgone

I'm at the point I get to in every loot-heavy RPG - I have more stuff than I can carry, and I'm too much of a capitalist (consumer whore) to comfortably decide what I want to leave behind! I'm going to build a fort out of cheese and drink myself to death.

Valygar

Musan said:
Anyone figured out what is causing the crashing? I lost two games due to that.

I recommend everyone to play without permadeath. Save often, and only use it if the game crashes, it's the only solution for now. The crash might happen or not, I've played 9 hours and "only" 2 crashes, with my best characters so far wiped out.

Now I'm trying an unarmed weapon guy with some rogue skills, and it's fun!

Emitan

Just pretend you're worshiping Xom from Crawl and he's just punishing you for being boring. :p

EDIT: Holy shit! I sold a Bolt of Mass of Destruction of 6,000. I wish I used crossbows so I could have used it. I bought a crossbow anyway in case I run into good ammo again.

NBtoaster

slidewinder said:
Drop items on Brax to sell them.

I'd like to see my items but I don't know what "Brax" is :s

My best character so far was 8000 points, almost cleared all of level 1, completed a few quests, and did some of level 2. Then I died to a poison trap :(

Emitan

NBtoaster said:
I'd like to see my items but I don't know what "Brax" is :s

My best character so far was 8000 points, almost cleared all of level 1, completed a few quests, and did some of level 2. Then I died to a poison trap :(
Brax is the shopkeeper.

Are traps invisible if your perception stat isn't high enough? Just died when I was about to clear out the final room in the third level and didn't realize I was losing 5 hp per step due to poison.

Also where do you sell items?

Emitan

Spirit of Jazz said:
Are traps invisible if your perception stat isn't high enough? Just died when I was about to clear out the final room in the third level and didn't realize I was losing 5 hp per step due to poison.

Also where do you sell items?
I think Perception has something to do with it. Also spending time in the room can help (probably a dice roll every time you move to see if you can find a trap). You sell items by dropping them on the shopkeeper.

Philthy

Valygar said:
You can just delete your save if you die. I'm doing that, hope you are lucky and don't get a crash!

Well, I've got the friends leaderboards to look at. We're all playing permadeath.

Volodja

I have a few gripes with this game but I am liking it, it's not as good as dungeon crawl or even shiren for now, but it is promising.
Too bad my last run got stopped by a crash after going pretty well.
Billychu said:
Just pretend you're worshiping Xom from Crawl and he's just punishing you for being boring. :p
Every roguelike should have Xom.

garath

I don't have very much experience with rogue-likes so just wanted to ask this question: is there no save with permadeath? I'm not a single sitting game player. No save would put a cramp on that style :(

Emitan

garath said:
I don't have very much experience with rogue-likes so just wanted to ask this question: is there no save with permadeath? I'm not a single sitting game player. No save would put a cramp on that style :(
You can save. It deletes the save when you reload it and when you die. Just think of it as a quick save.

Emitan

I haven't played Cthulhu, but I've played Breath of Death VII which is made by the same developer and found it really basic and not a whole lot of fun. I've heard Cthulhu is better but I think a roguelike will have more value than a NES style RPG.

Nabs

User33 said:
Hmmm....this or Cthulu? I realize that one is a rouge, while the other is a JRPG tribute so they're fundamentally different. I'm just wondering which one people got more enjoyment out of.

ɥʇoq :ɹǝʍsuɐ
both

That's what I plan on doing once I finish up Cthulu.

Volodja

Billychu said:
62YuH.png

The top 2 are fighters. The bottom 2 are mages. Yeah...
My best score is a mage at 5000 and something.
Actually my best run should be higher but it crashed while trying to go down some stairs.

teepo

for anyone who has put countless hours into dungeon crawl, how does this compare?

i really can't stand the graphics but i'd love to try out a new rogue game

Top Bottom