• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Voidguts

great little game, especially for $5. reminds me a lot of Shiren + Monkey Island or something. much much deeper than I thought it'd be, I've already spent 3 hours playing it.

EDIT:
slidewinder said:
Drop items on Brax to sell them.
you are a savior.

Berksy

Yeah, it works fine on my Windows XP netbook too.

I love how i spent like half an hour on first floor and collected shit then ten seconds into second floor and i got killed.

Emitan

KuroNeeko said:
Is this game only available through Steam? Can you buy it directly from the developer?
Nope. It's currently only on Steam and will eventually be on other services. They have a blog post explaining why they're not directly selling it.

Berksy

Back to dungeon level 2 again!
Found a Horadric Lutefisk Cube (?) which turns anything you put into it to Lutefisk. Diablo 2 love. I saw a Lutefisk God Statue in an earlier game so it might be useful.
Got rewarded a glass sword which has a tool-tip saying don't drop it. I was too afraid to try lol.
That tip above about selling items is a life saver.
When you find something on the ground called Evil Box... just remember this game is a roguelike. Then again, it might hold something good.

The game gets better and better as i get used to it. Still there are lots of ways it can be developed and that is a good thing.

Emitan

I think the spawning system needs some work. I just run into way too many enemies in every room. It just feels completely unfair when I open the first door and there's 4 enemies right there and I've already lost.

Sye d'Burns

Perception is a great trait to pick as a starter. Those mines you disarm and pick up make you so much money.

---

Dungeons of Dredmor is currently in a battle with the combo pack for number 1 on steam. Of course, so soon after everyone emptied their wallets, it's hard to say how much competition Gaslamp Games is actually facing. Still, it has to be a heartening experience for them. Here are the developers of Dredmor's thoughts on profit:

Here’s the third thing, however – what does it mean for a game to be commercially viable? The Bay 12 Games guys release their income figures every month, explaining how much cash they’ve hauled in as a result of Dwarf Fortress. Most months they seem to make about $2500 USD/mo., some months they make about $4000 USD/mo., and when Dwarf Fortress had a major release in 2010 they pulled in $16,000.00 in the month of April. This isn’t a success on the level of Minecraft, but it is enough that Dwarf Fortress continues to be developed actively and on a full-time basis. Remember, this is by *donation*. Commercially viable means a lot of interesting, wonderful things when you’re a small studio. If, by the grace of the game-buying public, Dredmor can pull in four thousand dollars a month and can do so consistently with occasional spikes, we will have leeway to keep building weird and wonderful things. My Business Acumen people, of course, want to pull in way more money than four thousand dollars a month. We think that the game will do better than that in terms of turning a profit, and we still have a few tricks up our sleeves to make this happen. (everybody still likes buying 200 hats worth of DLC, right? Right. Good, we’re done here!)

I think we’ll do fine… but it’s important to note that we don’t need a AAA return on Dredmor in the range of hundreds of millions of dollars – or even Notch-level, in terms of tens of millions of dollars – for Dredmor to be a financial success. I have always viewed Dredmor as a means to an end – it has enabled us to build a company, to build an infrastructure, and to discover how to make independent game development work. From these perspectives alone, it has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. Finishing Dredmor has put us in a great position for whatever comes next. We have some technology, unrelated to Dredmor, that we are going to finish and release and which I am very excited about, and then … well, there will be another game. We haven’t finalized what we’re doing – we have a bunch of ideas, and we’re going to do some prototyping in-house to determine which ideas are good ideas and which ideas are just awful – but looking at the short list we have so far, I can tell you that pretty much all of them are 100% TIGSource Bait. (A surprising number of them also involve wizard towers.)

Again, I thought the post was worth the read.

Sye d'Burns said:

Sye d'Burns

Gaslamp Games on mod support:

Very briefly, because people keep asking: “Can you make mods for Dungeons of Dredmor? What is the plan for modding for Dredmor?” Emphatically: a) yes, b) what is contained below.

Dredmor has mod support built into it. You make mods in the same way you used to make them for Quake 3 – you take your mod, you build a parallel directory structure for it, and you shove it in a ZIP file. The ZIP file then goes in a mod directory on your hard drive, and you can turn them on or off. A mod is listed as either being a patch-style mod – in which case, it just loads after the core game – or a total conversion style mod, in which case the core game by itself is not loaded and you must replace *everything* that Dredmor looks for. This is… a lot of stuff.

Well, there's that!

Valygar

I've cleared both floors 1 and 2. In the 2nd one I found a room FULL of enemies (up to 100 maybe?) I almost died, but I grinded a level and half while killing them from a position only one could attack me.

Ive picked up smithing (It's great for a warrior, it also allows you to grab tramps at level 2), sword, shield, armour, archaeology, viking magic (meh), and berseker (great for warrior too).

There is a skill named "It belongs to a museum"! in the archaelogy tree, who allows to insta sell an artifact (a non common item with an unique name) for exp. I think it does not work with cursed items, my item dissapeared but I didnt get almost any exp (and the item sold for 1000 gold in the shop). I don't know if its worth it to level up this skill, but it looks like fun!.

I can't wait to die and try another set of skills!

SteveWD40

Along with the modernisation of the look of the genre they should have added loot making your avatar look different. It's a hangover from my addiction to loot games but hell, I want to play dress up in my RPG's!

Wallach

My favorite title in this strange genre is probably still Shiren (DS); how does the gameplay compare to that? The character building seems a lot more complex.

demon arm

CosmicQueso said:
I sank hundreds of hours into Rogue on my amber monochrome display back in the mid-80s. [...] I'm really enjoying it [...]
This and TotalBiscuit have sold it to me! Looking forward to playing this evening. And tomorrow evening. And...

Berksy

Anybody finished it yet? How many floors are there?

I was on 3rd floor with good progress. Then i misclicked into my poison bolt's cloud.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
CKRMh.jpg

*goes to cry into a corner*

Is there any chance to defeat those monsters one by one? Or is one of them too strong for me?

And how the hell are you supposed to win that if you arent a vampire?

And what would happen if I go a level down again, would they simply disappear?

Toma said:
CKRMh.jpg

Is there any chance to defeat those monsters one by one? Or is one of them too strong for me?

lure them back into a narrow path? lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
DMPrince said:
lure them back into a narrow path? lol.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I havent fought many of those monsters, yet. If there is a monster in there which I cant defeat, I'd rather retreat to the lower level.

But what happens then with these monsters? Do they stay? respawn? disappear?

Philthy

Got this lastnight and put around 5 hours into it.

This game is AWESOME. I think it may be my favorite roguelike yet. I am a big fan of Angband and Kangband, but this game.. The charm is simply amazing. I absolutely love the music, and humor. The skill trees are all great, the loot and stats are all fantastic. It's challenging, and it even has leaderboards via steam. The GUI is really great as well.

My only gripe:

Not enough storage space if you craft items. I'd like to maybe have a crafting only storage box or something. There are just SO many crafting ingredients and you don't have room for them all.

I cannot wait to go home and play this. It's one of those games. The loot and exploration is addicting as any really good roguelike.

Billychu said:
I think the spawning system needs some work. I just run into way too many enemies in every room. It just feels completely unfair when I open the first door and there's 4 enemies right there and I've already lost.

Welcome to roguelikes! :)

demon arm said:
This and TotalBiscuit have sold it to me! Looking forward to playing this evening. And tomorrow evening. And...

Everyone should watch this video, it really explains this game really well and it is amusing.

I am going to cheerleader this game until I die, IT IS THAT GOOD.

Pepboy

I second Philthy's desire for a separate "craft" storage space. Otherwise pretty fun game. I was initially turned off by the art style and sound but warmed up.

Wallach said:
My favorite title in this strange genre is probably still Shiren (DS); how does the gameplay compare to that? The character building seems a lot more complex.

The character building is more complex. You get seven skills that you progress along (linearly) when leveling up. There are a lot of stats, but they all have mouse-over windows. My favorite is also Shiren DS, this one is fun but I haven't come across many "unidentified" items, which is usually my favorite part.

Valygar

Toma said:
IMAGE FULL OF ENEMIES

I won that (that's level 2 right?) with a warrior. I sat on a corner, eating the whole time. There were two or three mini bosses, to deal with them I ran up to the upstairs level and regain all mana and health. When you go downstairs again, the monster is blocking the stairs so you can't go back, but I've managed to kill them.

Another thing you can do is just run the hell away of that and stay clear of that area I guess. Have you tried closing the door? maybe it works, I don't know.

A tip for anyone trying to roll a mage, pick up something that allows you to summon a pet. I've seen one in the fungus skill tree, another one in the pyromancer. Every time I try with no pet, I ran out of mana and get killed at the end :/

One thing that is buggin me are the crafting skills. Smithing was very easy to do, I managed to craft almost all my gear. Now I am trying to use alchemy, and I can't even do a healing potion, I don't find the materials.

Sye d'Burns

I stumbled upon this handy dandy legend and thought it worth posting. I've never been quite sure what half of these symbols meant.

OY2fB.jpg

Emitan

You can mouse over them on the Character screen, but this is useful. I'll keep it open in my other monitor when playing.

Wallach

So yeah, I decided to grab this and wound up playing it for like six hours straight. This one seems pretty good so far, though I really need to turn off the mouse control for movement. My first game was going fine, but I ran into a monster zoo, and accidentally clicked myself into a spot I couldn't get out of (this was on the 3rd floor). I actually would have been able to kill the entire zoo from there but one of them was a "unique" pink golem and when he finally got his turn it was over pretty fast, haha.

My second game I'm some of the thief type skills with crossbows as my weapon of choice. Found a "One Armed Leather Jacket" that makes me quite happy, though as far as raw effectiveness my first character seemed to fare better.

Any of you guys had success with the hardest difficulty setting so far? That one might be a little too luck based for my tastes but I'll probably poke at it a little just to see how miserable it is.

Edit - I forgot to mention the worst part about losing my first guy; I had found a "Horadric Lutefisk Cube" that turned anything I put into it into a piece of Lutefisk, which was totally awesome for the shrines. Mega bummed I lost that.

Juravsky

What a great game! I had never played a roguelike before, bought the game this morning because a friend recommended it and it's amazingly fun.

Philthy

Billychu said:
I play Crawl. I know roguelikes are hard but good ones are fair. I don't think this one is fair yet.

I think this game is a LOT more forgiving than Crawl. I could never get past the second level in that after a billion characters. Heck, in Angband I *still* die by Smeagol half the time and thats only three floors down and 15 minutes into the game. This current Dredmor game I've got about 3-4 hours in on this character so far.

Edit: The crafted items are leaving a lot to be desired. Considering how long it takes to find any materials to make a single thing, you would hope the stats would be at least on par with random loot found on the floor. While they seem to have decent defense, they have a lot of minus attributes that don't make any sense.

Emitan

Philthy said:
I think this game is a LOT more forgiving than Crawl. I could never get past the second level in that after a billion characters. Heck, in Angband I *still* die by Smeagol half the time and thats only three floors down and 15 minutes into the game. This current Dredmor game I've got about 3-4 hours in on this character so far.
Then I'm apparently super unliucky :(
I've barely made progress on floor 2 with any of my characters.

Valygar

Found another room full of enemies on level 2, managed to kill them all with my "mage"

11109qv.jpg

The room full of enemies was on top left, I went to that corner and simply spam summoning my wyrm pet. Pets do a lot of damage in this game, they are pretty much necessary if you are going to roll mage. With the pet only, drinking some booze, I managed to clear out that room. I think the pets are a bit overpowered.

Monroeski said:
This may have the most unappealing trailer I've ever seen. Turned me right off when I watched last night.

Even though it is earlier in dev, I quite like many of the older trailers as they are on the short, snappy, savvy line of things. Perhaps give them a go at some point? There's already been one round of patching done with tons more likely to come, so I reckon a variety of rough spots people are having will get seen to so long as they are communicated to the devs.

Valygar said:
Now I am trying to use alchemy, and I can't even do a healing potion, I don't find the materials.
It's rare to find the materials as-is, but you can make them from more common drops. An iron ingot in an ingot grinder makes 2 rust, and then there are a whole bunch of ways to make the aquae vitae (I think it is called) in the pot still, some involving two steps; just look at the recipes for it, as they're available from the beginning.

I've taken out two of those monster zoos now with a fighter character (mace, shield, armor, berserker rage, etc.). Second one on the third floor was a little hairy as I didn't have much food to start. Seems like there should be a reward for clearing them out. I figured there was going to be after noticing that the game recognizes them as something special including highlighting them on the minimap and counting down the monsters remaining, which made me think they'd be like a vault in Angband.

Valygar

I haven't found an ingot grinder, and I was in the level 3 already. I was looking for it (my inventory was already a mess), and the game crashed, no save found when I started it again. Tomorrow I'll try another character, but this is annoying.

Madouu

I just spent two hours on my second playthrough only to have the game crash :(

Toma said:

I defeated more or less the same amount of monsters just by going into a corner and killing them one by one as they come to me. This works well if you have melee skills I guess and some kind of good equipment. I only had to eat one sandwich during the whole fight ... it's pretty doable (I was level 4)

Wallach said:
I forgot to mention the worst part about losing my first guy; I had found a "Horadric Lutefisk Cube" that turned anything I put into it into a piece of Lutefisk, which was totally awesome for the shrines. Mega bummed I lost that.

I had that too and the worst thing is I lost it because the game crashed out.

Top Bottom