• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Wallach

Here's the final patch notes for 1.04:

FIXED: Game not correctly processing some right clicking mouse clicks.
FIXED: Lag due to blood splatters.
FIXED: Dual wielding was not working, in particular the last skill.
FIXED: Shield bearer skills were not correctly granting passive attributes.
FIXED: A number of screwed up achievements in the "skill set" categories.
FIXED: Warrior health (and other things) were not being calculated correctly.
FIXED: various spells not working due to having incorrectly set sight buffs.
FIXED: primary skill buffs were not passing their bonuses through to secondary skill calculations.
FIXED: Item duplication bug when hitting "0".
FIXED: incorrect item values for Cybertronic Amulet.
FIXED: incorrect item values for Dark Orb.
FIXED: being able to save and quit the game after your death.
FIXED: nightmare curse not actually putting monsters to sleep (or correctly triggering the DOT)
FIXED: narcosomantic induction not always putting monsters to sleep.
FIXED: SHIFT-Click mode, when turned on, doesn’t correctly handle SHIFT-Clicking as regular clicking.
FIXED: unliving walls do not become permanent blockers after saving and re-loading the game.
FIXED: stacked necronomiconomics penalties prevent the player from disabling his other buffs.
FIXED: right-clicking, off turn, causes left-clicking behaviours..
FIXED: infinitely long Diggle health bars.
FIXED: monsters not dying when affected by buffs that reduce their HP (acid burn, etc.)
FIXED: monsters who are stunned or asleep can no longer dodge, block, or counter-attack.
FIXED: blank pedestal spawning in the Tomb of the Unknown Hero.
FIXED: certain weapon powers from Krong never activated
FIXED: various ways in which the player could abuse the shopping system
FIXED: some items becoming stackable after you put them in crafting tools.
FIXED: potion stacking stops working after you save, reload, and put it in a craft tool.
FIXED: vampirism causing haywire (or crit buffs); normal spellcasting NOT haywiring
FIXED: bad text in wand, potions tutorials
FIXED: KRONG text no longer mentions crafting skill
FIXED: starting part of Monster Zoo music wasn't playing
FIXED: This Translation Is All Wrong! wasn't clearing damage effects on weapons, causing massive damage stacks
FIXED: a number of spells were not correctly applying blasting damage (Thor's Fulminaric Bolt, for instance.)
FIXED: Vampires are no longer told to "eat food to regain health."
(Now they must dreeenk blaht.)
FIXED: double "bad weapon" penalties.
FIXED: a bunch of monster inheritance issues.
FIXED: crash on fullscreen with OS X 10.7
FIXED: crash while SHIFT-clicking with an object that you have just auto-looted, with auto-loot enabled.
FIXED: various other issues with the auto-loot.
FIXED: Various issues with WASD move-to-open.
FIXED: Lutefisk cube behaviour is now consistent with regards to stacks versus individual units.
FIXED: game crash when using non-standard characters in character names.
FIXED: empty tiles appearing in room definitions.
FIXED: dual wield and counter chance..
FIXED: mysteriously appearing broken doors.
FIXED: buffs that cannot be dismissed.
FIXED: auto-looting for lockpicks.
FIXED: multiple on-hit triggers on corpses.
FIXED: items get deleted when clicking in inventory and holding down CTRL.
FIXED: don't let the game run in resolutions with y resolution < 600.
FIXED: Dying at the hands of Lord Dredmor no longer gives you the "Thrusty" achievement.
FIXED: the Thrusty achievement now works.
FIXED: Mark of Chthon and Magic Steel now correctly buff in a way that scales with magic power.
FIXED: traps triggered by monsters applying buffs to the players.
FIXED: pets give you XP when you kill them.
FIXED: curses on monster stacks cause madness.
FIXED: game launcher uses 100% CPU
FIXED: Fine Bronze Cuirass has incorrect stats.
FIXED: issues with ALT-TAB and SDL causing certain things (quicksell, stack split) to stop working after leaving and returning to the game.
FIXED: bolt recovery now works for crossbow users on all hits, not just death.
FIXED: thrown item recovery now works for all thrown items on all hits, not just death.
NERF: Using a wand now disables invisibility effects.
NERF: The Obvious Fireball has been Nerfed more obviously than the last un-obvious Nerf.
NERF: This Translation Is All Wrong! now enacts a Terrible Price.
Also, we got to make another Marcus Brody joke.
NERF: added some more resistances throughout levels to require you to use at least two spells to beat the game.
NERF: Hand of Belimawr is no longer stackable.
NERF: Alchemy, in various small, cruel ways.
NERF: "This Translation is All Wrong" saps magic from items, occasionally.
BUFF: Psionics gets magic resistance.
GAMEPLAY: Nerfed, then buffed, Vampirism. It's sort of about the same, really.
GAMEPLAY: More fire resistance on Level 9 monsters.
GAMEPLAY: Black Pearls can now be ground into chalk. Interestingly, this is not a flight of fancy but is based on Science.
GAMEPLAY: Heavy armour gives greater magic penalties, but offers more piercing resistance.
GAMEPLAY: Heavy armour also reduces nimbleness.
GAMEPLAY: the Jingly Jangly Staff of Crystals now requires alchemy instead of smithing.
GAMEPLAY: Lutefisk balancing changes.
GAMEPLAY: Tinkerers can now make Black Powder.
GAMEPLAY: Robots now do electrical damage. Because, you know, they're robots.
GAMEPLAY: Blobbies now leave Acid Pools.
UI: Kill the Tutorial Pop-up at the start of the game if you've seen it once.
Monsters have an expanded vocabulary.
The Bony Wand is now not quite as awful.
Lord Dredmor is now nastier.
Added a new, fun monster to Level 10.
Added craftable thrown weapons.
Added slightly more informative vending machine tool text.
Game renders all text using UTF-8 internally, for the Japanese Translation teams. (Ganbatte!)
Upped Pyrokinesis damage.
Made acid traps marginally less deadly.
Fixed zorkmid scaling drop rate.
Changed graveyard text so people no longer think their scores are negative.
Weapon and armour stats have been given some more love.
Elven Ingot Grinder is now affected by alchemy, not smithing or tinkering.
Alchemists now start with an Ingot Grinder, giving them more rubbish than any other class.
Adjacent monsters now display health bars consistently.
Trap outlines are now drawn on top of walls when they are obscured.
ALT-click will now split stacks in the inventory.
Added a new minimap interface, and some minimap icons for Lutefisk Shrines, quest statues, Anvils, etc.
Added some more rooms of Fun.
Added some rings and amulets that give Necromantic Resistance, for those days when you need Necromantic Resistance.
Pet AI improvements; your Moustache Golem now longer has the intelligence of a protozoa. (We're now at "easily frightened wombat")
Added more achievements.
New throwing item recipes.
Added a reward for clearing a Monster Zoo.
Autoloot toggle moved to config screen.
Added "DIGEST" button for automatic digestion of foods.
New "Random Skills" icon.

Steam downloaded the patch for me just a few minutes ago. Going to go see if I can get a screenshot of my taunt.

Awesome! I hope we can go back to having contests under this new patch.

Also, they still never got around to showing my fanart. That makes me depressed.

Volodja

Just started my first game with the new version and already found a couple of new rooms and a new trap that applies a -15 to dodge chance curse.

Haywire seems to not be completely fixed, I've had it pop up on dart trap hits and on my mace hits.

Wallach

Volodja said:
Just started my first game with the new version and already found a couple of new rooms and a new trap that applies a -15 to dodge chance curse.

Haywire seems to not be completely fixed, I've had it pop up on dart trap hits and on my mace hits.

Yeah, I found some kind of lutefisk prayer room with a 3x3 grid of lutefisk on the ground instead of zorkmids.

One of the devs was saying loading games doesn't work quite right if you have an older version. Brax will use Dredmor's sprite and description, and if Dredmor was in the save file he'd show up as a robot, haha.

Interested to try a more melee based run now, though I will probably do a mage game first just to play with the new tweaks and Haywire.

My favorite one so far is
spaaaaaaaaaaaace

Impressions so far:

- Improved pick up rate of used bolts is so good, at least to me.
- They fixed the rooms to where every room on floor one doesn't swarm you. This might actually make the game harder in the long run while making it easier in the short term because it's less EXP being given.
- I am currently killing stuff with Vampirism by going full Melee. I think with the toning down of floor 1 Vampirism might actually be much better than it was before despite being adjusted.
- It's harder to make money now, since enemies drop less gold now.
- New rooms are very nice

Overall the game feels fresh after the patch.

EDIT: Warrior HP gains are large now. It might actually be well worth putting skill points into weapons early on now. Also Narcosomatic Induction does damage now, so it can be used as a cheap long ranged attack.

Volodja

KittenMaster said:
My favorite one so far is
spaaaaaaaaaaaace

Impressions so far:

- Improved pick up rate of used bolts is so good, at least to me.
- They fixed the rooms to where every room on floor one doesn't swarm you. This might actually make the game harder in the long run while making it easier in the short term because it's less EXP being given.
- I am currently killing stuff with Vampirism by going full Melee. I think with the toning down of floor 1 Vampirism might actually be much better than it was before despite being adjusted.
- It's harder to make money now, since enemies drop less gold now.
- New rooms are very nice

Overall the game feels fresh after the patch.

EDIT: Warrior HP gains are large now. It might actually be well worth putting skill points into weapons early on now. Also Narcosomatic Induction does damage now, so it can be used as a cheap long ranged attack.
As far as I know Narcosomatic Induction already did damage before the patch, just a really tiny amount.

Wallach said:
Yeah, I found some kind of lutefisk prayer room with a 3x3 grid of lutefisk on the ground instead of zorkmids.

One of the devs was saying loading games doesn't work quite right if you have an older version. Brax will use Dredmor's sprite and description, and if Dredmor was in the save file he'd show up as a robot, haha.

Interested to try a more melee based run now, though I will probably do a mage game first just to play with the new tweaks and Haywire.

"Wait...where's the ugly suit? This wasn't in the patch notes!" was my first reaction.

EDIT: Warrior HP gains are large now. It might actually be well worth putting skill points into weapons early on now.

Tru dat. My lvl 9 ax-maniac build jumped from 43 to 61 hp or so.

Card Boy

Banned
I put a Lutefisk cube into a Lutefisk Cube then BOOM!

c55d8d2396e30d35264045efca85be9abd66b506.jpg

Then i was like

1b4a56d1e80dba48dd169635c045576a230b5e9e.jpg

When the explosion killed me.

Cynaith

Anyone else had this since it came out and not completed it?

Steam says I've played it for an embarrassing amount of hours, yet I've never been past the 7th floor.

Wallach

Bump for 1.06 release via Steam!

1.06 patch notes said:
FIXED: Map zoom is now saved between gameplay sessions
FIXED: a broken room defintion that would always lead to a gargoyle trap spawning behind a food dispenser.
FIXED: Items held in the player’s hand are no longer lost on save/load.
FIXED: Rod charging no longer prevents priming items after use.
FIXED: The game now realizes that you are in a shop after you load the game… and are in a shop.
FIXED: Food vending machines now have correct tooltips.
FIXED: Items from the ground can no longer be used as active skills.
FIXED: Overridden equipment during the start of the character creation process will give you permanent Mystery Bonuses.
FIXED: Monsters will now check to make sure the player isn’t standing on a corpse before they bring it back to life.
FIXED: After you steal things from Brax, you can now use them as items.
FIXED: The DIGEST button will now halt if you see an enemy or get attacked by one.
FIXED: Uberchest lock state no longer resets after save and load.
FIXED: Blink Batties now Blink. (So does Lord D.)
FIXED: Various broken Steam achievements (Monsters with Omelettes, The Critic, anything else with a counter)
FIXED: digging ray crash.
FIXED: misaligned close button in Quest window.
FIXED: Unarmed damage bonuses are no longer applied to range attacks, or thrown attacks.
FIXED: Unskilled weapon wielding penalties no longer affect thrown, or crossbow, attacks.
FIXED: Vandalized Dredmor Statues now save their obstruction state correctly.
FIXED: WASD now breaks statues, lets you run into some other things and use them
GAMEPLAY: The resistance statistic now gives you a roll to block corruption attacks.
GAMEPLAY: Mace and Axe skill trees have been revamped and enhanced.
GAMEPLAY: Lord Dredmor can no longer be stunned or charmed.
GAMEPLAY: Reworked Necronomiconomics.
GAMEPLAY: Smithing is now a Warrior archetype.
GAMEPLAY: Sneakiness has a -20 modifier.
GAMEPLAY: Elemental Weapons now have some Elemental Resistances. Or something.
GAMEPLAY: Added a bunch more items, including a keytar.
GAMEPLAY: Some crafts are now unhidden by default.
GAMEPLAY: Added the Mosolov Cocktail! Don’t drink it all at once.
GAMEPLAY: The 2X bottom bar is now implemented. We’ll do the rest next patch.
COSMETIC: Monster spellcasting now shows up on the text ticker.
COSMETIC: More minimap icons!
INTERNAL: Hidden Fun Stuff to make it so we can turn on the mod support without breaking everybody’s save games. (That said, we have to put it in the patch before the mod support so that… well, so that it doesn’t break everybody’s save games.)
INTERNAL: Hidden Fun Stuff, related to the Other Hidden Fun Stuff.
LINUX: You can haz it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Wallach said:
Bump for 1.06 release via Steam!
Very nice! Time to start playing again.

...And no, I still haven't gotten past floor seven - even on easy with permadeath. Had a nice unarmed build going too.

Emitan

Haven't played in weeks because of the crashing issues. It's just not worth playing if the game crashes and I lose everything. Is that fixed?

I'm pretty much done with the game. I would rather have true random levels instead of random rooms. I've seen all the rooms. Multiple times on each floor.

Unlocking/kicking doors slows stuff down too.

Wallach

Billychu said:
Haven't played in weeks because of the crashing issues. It's just not worth playing if the game crashes and I lose everything. Is that fixed?

Hm, I haven't heard about crash bugs in a while, but I haven't been playing for a while either (since before 1.05).

I've already put almost 60 hours into this game. Love that they continue to support it so well.

Emitan

Wallach said:
Hm, I haven't heard about crash bugs in a while, but I haven't been playing for a while either (since before 1.05).

I've already put almost 60 hours into this game. Love that they continue to support it so well.
I might start playing again then. I've only put in 5 or so hours because it kept crashing when I was doing well.

kyubajin

I just got this game and it took me 30+ min to play through the tutorial, it looks and sounds promising and very deep indeed. Will try several blimd runs before checking builds and guides.

Wallach

kyubajin said:
I just got this game and it took me 30+ min to play through the tutorial, it looks and sounds promising and very deep indeed. Will try several blimd runs before checking builds and guides.

That's really the way to do it; just jump in and go nuts. Just mind your feet.

Billychu said:
I might start playing again then. I've only put in 5 or so hours because it kept crashing when I was doing well.

I've played for 55 hours total so far. Haven't touched it since gaf's last (or second last) competition... Glad to see all of the fixes for this patch and last patch. Think I'll start playing it again.

Wallach

picklecannon said:
I've played for 55 hours total so far. Haven't touched it since gaf's last (or second last) competition... Glad to see all of the fixes for this patch and last patch. Think I'll start playing it again.

Yeah, I want to as well, I'm just running out of time before Skyrim. I need to finish RAGE, Witcher 2 and Portal 2 before then.

Started a new pyromancer build and have been rolling pretty good so far. Got the orb of nothing and that thing is sick. I now regain mana ever turn! Almost got killed though by a thaumite trap though...holy crap was I lucky to have just picked up a zodical wand or the trap would've killed me.

I want to beat this game before expansion comes out so I turned off permadeath...It feels weird without that. So far I'm on level 3 and haven't died yet...but something always gets me around level 3 or 4.

Happy to make $5 for more content here. In retrospect, this game is really one of my favorites of the year, though it has plenty of its own issues(particularly with lack of variety, inventory management and just generally being less dynamic than other roguelikes). Hope the DLC improves some of those fronts.

alstein

Happy to make $5 for more content here. In retrospect, this game is really one of my favorites of the year, though it has plenty of its own issues(particularly with lack of variety, inventory management and just generally being less dynamic than other roguelikes). Hope the DLC improves some of those fronts.

I can say that the patch (out now) improves those areas some, and the DLC/expansion improves it more.

Mimir

A new patch/expansion ($5) is supposed to hit Steam today.

(and for Steam-haters it will hit Desura also)

Where did you find that price? I haven't seen anyone say how much it was going to cost, and making it cost the same as the base game seems like a bit too much.

Also, they just posted on Twitter that the DLC will not be released on Steam today.
Patch 1.0.8 is up! Diggle Gods DLC is looking for a release window on Steam. It won't be today. We'll keep you posted.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone got patch notes for the recent patch?

I'm sure the crash on startup under OSX is just trying to save me from undue embarrassment at the flippers of Diggles. It still kind of sucks, though. =/ Hopefully it's a quick fix.

I just got a cheese mint for launching the game. I laughed heartily.

And Wal, I dunno about GOTY but by god it's fun. I keep falling into the same trap of getting careless and dying to something stupid, but that's pretty much just me and roguelikes really.

Wallach

I just got a cheese mint for launching the game. I laughed heartily.

And Wal, I dunno about GOTY but by god it's fun. I keep falling into the same trap of getting careless and dying to something stupid, but that's pretty much just me and roguelikes really.

Yeah sorry I totally just shut the computer down after I messaged you because one of my fans started making a fucked up sound and I wanted to swap it out of there.

Just did a quick game to check out the female sprite. Not bad!

Top Bottom