• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Yeah sorry I totally just shut the computer down after I messaged you because one of my fans started making a fucked up sound and I wanted to swap it out of there.

Just did a quick game to check out the female sprite. Not bad!

No dramas anyway, my Steam overlay isn't working with DoD. The female sprite just made this game so much easier for me, I'm so used to rolling female characters in RPGs that I actually freeze up trying to name male ones. I made it down to level 3 today before getting murdered by electric octopi shooting lightning balls at me.

Sarcasm

No dramas anyway, my Steam overlay isn't working with DoD. The female sprite just made this game so much easier for me, I'm so used to rolling female characters in RPGs that I actually freeze up trying to name male ones. I made it down to level 3 today before getting murdered by electric octopi shooting lightning balls at me.

On game right click

Properties > Set Launch Options

-opengl

rXh6d.png

Should work after that.

I went to check out what the new mini-patch today was and had to share this blog post:

GaslampGames said:
A hotfix for 1.0.8 has now been sent to Steam, which fixes the vending machine crashes, the skill selection crashes, the crafting toolkit crashes, (hopefully!) everybody’s old 1.0.6 save games, and a few other things. It’s not up yet, but when it’s up we will let you know. We’re in the process of building new packages for Desura, and for HiB users.

EDIT: This includes a fix for the OS X version. Steve Jobs’s ghost has been laid to rest with the ritual offering of a black turtleneck sweater.

EDIT, EDIT: Up now.

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT: OS X users no longer crash. However, and I swear I can’t make this up, any OS X user grabbing the newest patch will be attacked by giant pink scorpion Diggles. We’ve sent a second fix to Valve, and it should be up in a bit.

giant_pink_diggle.jpg

(artist's depiction of the current state of the OSX build)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Really would like to play a bit now, but I dont want to get burned out before the DLC. :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Aww yeah. We can buy it but its not there yet :(
I was hoping one of the last patches may have added it and the purchases just unlocked it or something.

=/

Duuuuuuuudes, unlock it damnit.

Toma

Short description from Steam:

Six new skill trees: Veganism, Big Game Hunting, Werediggling, Emomancy, Piracy, and Demonology.
One Hundred New Items! .. ish.
Five new dungeon levels, in a variety of flavours!
New mysterious portals that lead to places that will kill you!
New scriptable rooms, providing joyful puzzles and traps!
A dozen new monster types to fight!
Polymorphing!
And More!

If anyone finds the full DLC content notes, please post them.

Wallach

I would assume so, yeah.

Ran into a nasty bug crafting wands last night. If you craft multiples of the same wand, they stack. But if you burn the top wand in the stack, they all burn. So that sucks.

Toma

I would assume so, yeah.

Ran into a nasty bug crafting wands last night. If you craft multiples of the same wand, they stack. But if you burn the top wand in the stack, they all burn. So that sucks.

Awesome and super nasty in the same line. =/

Wow, so this is a roguelike. I've seen one or two people on my list play it and wondering what it was; but seeing this thread and seeing the OP/store link/watching the trailer, the art made me recall it being on sale a while back. I wish I had bothered to go to its store page when it was.

Will definitely buy if it's on sale during the winter sales, or just after. Doing my best to save all my money for the sales :D

alstein

Wow, so this is a roguelike. I've seen one or two people on my list play it and wondering what it was; but seeing this thread and seeing the OP/store link/watching the trailer, the art made me recall it being on sale a while back. I wish I had bothered to go to its store page when it was.

Will definitely buy if it's on sale during the winter sales, or just after. Doing my best to save all my money for the sales :D

The game is $8 total. Are you waiting for them to pay you to play? I can see waiting for a sale on a $20 game maybe, but not something under $10.

I just am kinda irritated that the launch got busted up (unsure if it's Gaslamp, Valve, or most likely both- Gaslamp is pretty shoestring, the coder was doing his grad thesis while coding this game)

The only major problem I have with this game is that its really not random. You get 3-6 of the same rooms every level. Plus the same enemies. After you played it a few times its boring even if you try weird characters.

I wish the levels were more random. Who am I kidding i just want stone soup.

alstein

The only major problem I have with this game is that its really not random. You get 3-6 of the same rooms every level. Plus the same enemies. After you played it a few times its boring even if you try weird characters.

I wish the levels were more random. Who am I kidding i just want stone soup.

Try the smaller floors option if you want more level randomness.

Sarcasm

My issue is the game doesn't lag but why (especially when I have a summon moustache) does my dude lag when I go help attack? I move one square or try and it walks in place a few seconds.

Also loving the diff, even at easy lol.

Toma

DLC still not working for Windows, right?

alstein

My issue is the game doesn't lag but why (especially when I have a summon moustache) does my dude lag when I go help attack? I move one square or try and it walks in place a few seconds.

Also loving the diff, even at easy lol.

Most likely reason: some monster has hit a trap somewhere.

Toma

Grah, there was a download on steam just now but now I cant even play the game at all.
Sigh.

"The game is temporarily not available, please try again later."

GaslampGames Gaslamp Games
"Dredmor is now suddenly broken on Steam for everybody. Not sure what's up, but we're choosing to view it as a Good Sign of Things To Come."

Haha, how is that even possible.

Toma

GaslampGames Gaslamp Games
"Dredmor is now suddenly broken on Steam for everybody. Not sure what's up, but we're choosing to view it as a Good Sign of Things To Come."

Haha, how is that even possible.

No idea, but I saw Serotonina playing the game and told her to stay in if she wants to continue playing because of the bug. So hey, at least one Gaffer is able to play it right now.

Toma

Hm, the game's actually still working for me.

I'll restart steam but I still got the same error just now.

Did you buy the DLC? Maybe its bugged for everyone with the DLC.

Sye d'Burns

Not sure why, but I can start up Dungeons on OS X just fine. Is it only the people with the DLC that have this issue?

edit: Bah, I guess I should've refreshed before I posted. I dunno, it's working for me.

Toma

Not sure why, but I can start up Dungeons on OS X just fine. Is it only the people with the DLC that have this issue?

For now the statistics are perfect in that direction, yeah.

You got the DLC or not?

alstein

Steam just did a patch- if you bought the DLC when it was up, it's working now.

If you didn't, you'll have to wait (probably just a bit, but I've learned to never say that).

Toma

Steam just did a patch- if you bought the DLC when it was up, it's working now.

If you didn't, you'll have to wait (probably just a bit, but I've learned to never say that).

Yup! Awesome, working for me now :)

Damn this expansion. Installed it on my MacBook Air and now it's ruining my free time on two platforms. I love the thief abilities. Six levels deep now, difficulty rising almost too fast, probably couldn't survive without Golem magic. Fun nonetheless.

alstein

55590r7e.jpg

lol

So far of new stuff I've seen magic potatoes and weird gems, and gnomes.

The pircacy skill doesn't seem that useful.

Piracy is very useful

Swashbuckling is very damn good until the lower levels.

Mists is pretty good in the lower levels- buffs dodge/sneakiness for 8 turns huge.

The Black Spot is a boss debuffer

The Broadside skill is weak, but it has its uses, it's a free bomb, and bombs aren't just for damaging people.

Emitan

FIXED: n-dimensional lathe was, in fact, a giant game-crashing exploding bomb
- FIXED: wandcrafting recipes being lost after load/save
- FIXED: crafting tool output not displaying
- FIXED: some crossbows not working [RotDG]
- FIXED: some mittens not working [RotDG]
- FIXED: Axe of Dinglenit was worth 0 zorkmids [RotDG]
- FIXED: Gloriously Regal Belt using description from Bullet Belt
- FIXED: That blasted lever room will only show up once per level. It was getting to be a bit of an issue.
- FIXED: "Cat Ears" helmet was using the wrong art [RotDG]
- FIXED: "Runes" showing up in gem transmutation
- FIXED: Diggle plague just being all kinds of nasty
- FIXED: Chest/helm tooltips switched on character panel
- FIXED: Skills that give primary stats, wouldn't give the correct stats
- FIXED: Mustache Fighting League room would fill with infinite mustaches
- FIXED: very rarely, scripts would spawn an entire horde of monsters off of the bottom of the map.
- FIXED: tutorials showing up twice
- FIXED: took out more broken tutorials
- FIXED: game crashing at start new game screen on Mac OS X 10.5.8.
(Probably.)
- FIXED: Heal-over-Time (HoT) effects being resisted (Fairywodger; Knit Tissue; etc.)
- FIXED: Mysterious portal crashes. [RotDG]
- FIXED: Steam achievements now trigger for expansion skills.
- FIXED: mods will now correctly load rooms.xml and text.xml
- FIXED: last skills in modded-in-skill-tree would crash the game
- FIXED: the amazing exponentially-multiplying Diggle Egg Stacking bug.
- Minor tweaks, balances, etc.
- Corrupted Shrines are now mildly more interesting.
- Better decor on Diggle God Shrines. [RotDG]

Sarcasm

How do you guys deal with zoos? I found one leveled and went back. I found a great tile that only had one way in and went to town. But some mob died and exploded into like a 4x4 square (8 tiles in a square) of poison killing me.

Also, when I go up a level I teleport random to 3 spots always end up in the same last spot and when I move it just teleports again. I have no debuff either.

Also great place to get mods?

Billychu, thanks for posting the update list. Unfortunately the update also corrupted my save game, but shit happens.

Sarcasm: The rule of thumb is GTFO

1. If you're a mage or if you have any sort of area effect wand you want to dump charges deep into the pile ASAP before you get hit on all sides. Often times stuff like fire will kill a lot of enemies simply because everyone is packed into the turn-by-turn damage.

2. If you're melee (well, usually even if you're not) backtrack to a point where you can only be attacked from a single direction, and then just go toe-to-toe with everything coming your way. Obviously it helps to use arrows/spells/thrown weapons but just hang in there, fight, and when you're pretty sure you can't take another hit or two, backtrack to the nearest teleporter.

3. Backtrack to teleporters! Key to the GTFO strategy. Closing doors can be wonky. A teleporter will guarantee your survival long enough to eat some food.

4. Summons always help. Golemancy and Promethean Magic let you summon in stuff to take the hits for you. I remember one Zoo where I just would summon, close the doors and wait and see what happened.

5. When nothing comes after you anymore, find some ranged weapons. The dregs of any zoo are always the cagey monsters that move irregularly and like to hit you at range. So they are painfully easy to take out using ranged attacks of your own, but very difficult to take on if you close the distance.

Dunno what that teleport problem you have is. I know one of the jump upgrades causes you to teleport on successful blocks. Initially sounds cool (an escape hatch!) but in reality is very dangerous. You could be fighting in a zoo, teleport out, then take an innocent hit outside...and get thrown back in the Zoo.

I'm gonna do "Dual Staves" on that vote, since it's very similar to a build I just tried anyway (which happened to be Dual-Staves/Vampirism/Psionics).

I noticed that Vampirism no longer trivializes the first floor, which is a good thing. Climbing to floor 2 is a huge pain though.

Top Bottom