• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkin' Donuts opens first store in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
People comparing Dunkins to KK do not understand that Dunkins is not really considered a donut place. It's about the coffee and iced coffee. Their coolattas are awesome. While their donuts and baked goods aren't great (except the muffins!), the variety and selection are up at the top. For some reason most of the top bakery places in my area still can't make a muffin better than Dunkins.

DSKMan

Banned
first store. what? there have been dunkin donuts in california for a while. there are like 3 near me. maybe they are knock offs.

LMFAO the last dunkin donuts left California over 10 years ago. So either you have been oblivious to them closing 10+ years ago, or those are fake dunkin donuts.

There is 1 dunkin donut part of the marine base in camp camp pendleton, but that is not the same. That is for those on the base and isn't a stand alone store.

Tripon

When I lived in LA for a few years I was shocked at how much I missed DD. Winchell's and other doughnut shops never matched up. Being an NYer with DD's everywhere I really took them for granted. Whenever someone called DD shit I never disagreed but now that I saw the other doughnut options in SoCal I think a lot of people will be happy with DD's arrival.

Sounds like you never been to a donut store that sold fresh donuts day to day. In SoCal, there are tons of Mom and Pop's shops that have a in store baker baking fresh product in the morning. At least that is how it should be. Winchell and other places ships in their donuts from a central factory, which might be more efficient production wise, absolutely kills taste and freshness.

As for DD, if they're not price competitive, they'll struggle in SoCal, there's just too many little businesses that are doing it the right way (baking on site and selling fresh donuts each day).

Also, Krispy Kream aren't donuts, they're candy disguised as donuts. Way too sweet for my liking.

(Disclaimer: My family owns a Donut shop in Torrance, so I may be biased here.)

Five

Banned
Sounds like you never been to a donut store that sold fresh donuts day to day. In SoCal, there are tons of Mom and Pop's shops that have a in store baker baking fresh product in the morning. At least that is how it should be. Winchell and other places ships in their donuts from a central factory, which might be more efficient production wise, absolutely kills taste and freshness.

As for DD, if they're not price competitive, they'll struggle in SoCal, there's just too many little businesses that are doing it the right way (baking on site and selling fresh donuts each day).

Also, Krispy Kream aren't donuts, they're candy disguised as donuts. Way too sweet for my liking.

A lot of the donut shops here are pretty expensive. There's a place right by my house where my GF works and the donuts are $2 or $3. I went to a food truck last week that was doing donuts with ice cream for $5–7 per item. At least around where I live (Newport), donuts are novelty instead of a commodity.

Tripon

A lot of the donut shops here are pretty expensive. There's a place right by my house where my GF works and the donuts are $2 or $3. I went to a food truck last week that was doing donuts with ice cream for $5–7 per item. At least around where I live (Newport), donuts are novelty instead of a commodity.

Yeah, you should go to Costa Mesa or Santa Ana. My family sells donuts for 75 cents for cakes, 80 cents for glaze, 85 for chocolate bars, and $1.50 for the big donuts like Bear Claws, Double Chocolate bars, Cinnamon Rolls, etc. A dozen is $8.

As for novelty stuff like Donuts with ice cream, yeah, that's a different market, I guess.

masud

Banned
Um Dunkin donuts is not a donut shop guys. Its a Coffee place with donuts bagels muffins pastry and breakfast sandwiches. Theyre also open 24 hours usually.

Because strawberry frosted donuts are delicious? And probably more importantly not everyone enjoys glazed donuts for all their donut needs

You should try going into a Krispy Kreme sometime before mouthing off! KK has a heck of a lot more than just glazed donuts.

Strawberry frosted donuts sound sweet as hell though, gonna try and find this place when I drop my GF off at SMCC on Monday.

Five

Banned
Yeah, you should go to Costa Mesa or Santa Ana. My family sells donuts for 75 cents for cakes, 80 cents for glaze, 85 for chocolate bars, and $1.50 for the big donuts like Bear Claws, Double Chocolate bars, Cinnamon Rolls, etc. A dozen is $8.

As for novelty stuff like Donuts with ice cream, yeah, that's a different market, I guess.

Forgive me. What I was trying to say is that some places just have different markets. I'm a part of the crowd that treats going and getting donuts as an event. I wouldn't want it to be different from that. There used to be a Dunkin Donuts about three or four blocks from the place my GF works. They failed because the area doesn't want them.

Maybe it would work out for them now, but I doubt it.

TheJLC

Didn't know you guys didn't have a DD. Well' you don't go there for donuts, you go for the coffee and just get some donuts on the side.

entremet

Coffee is decent. Everything else is mediocre to awful.

I would never get the love for precooked egg. If I want an egg sandwich, cook me a fresh egg.

You should try going into a Krispy Kreme sometime before mouthing off! KK has a heck of a lot more than just glazed donuts.

Strawberry frosted donuts sound sweet as hell though, gonna try and find this place when I drop my GF off at SMCC on Monday.

I've been to KK plenty of times and while I do enjoy their donuts, they really don't offer much in the way of quality donuts that aren't glazed at least not that I've ever found

Krispy kreme has the best glazed donut you can get in a national chain donut shop in the US imo but I've always found Dunkin Donuts has better variety. Although there's a local chain by me that I much prefer over both anyways

cory64

The only time in recent years that I had DD donuts was their cookie dough ones last year for Valentine's Day. Amazing. Otherwise they don't usually advertise donuts, mostly breakfast sandwiches if they have food next to the coffee.

RangersFan

I did try a few of the fresh doughnut shops (one on corner of Lincoln and Washington and another on Sepulveda and Venice? i think) and they were major letdowns. Then again I've never been overly impressed by fresh doughnut places. I used to live a block form the Doughnut Plant here in NY and I found it very overrated. As for price competitiveness, DD is very cheap.

Camp Pendleton is basically open to the public so I don't see why it wouldn't count.
They're the only base in the county that doesn't check our IDs against a vendor list at the gate when we get there. They just check that you have a valid license and ask you where you're going. Someone at an event center there told me anyone can come to their brunches if they just show up and say "I'm going to Iron Mike's." I'm sure someone could just tell the gate guard "I want to get some Dunkin' Donuts.".

Eh, Fort. Jackson simply asks for ID or license and where you're going as well.

I've been to KK plenty of times and while I do enjoy their donuts, they really don't offer much in the way of quality donuts that aren't glazed at least not that I've ever found

Krispy kreme has the best glazed donut you can get in a national chain donut shop in the US imo but I've always found Dunkin Donuts has better variety. Although there's a local chain by me that I much prefer over both anyways

Oh I was just sassin around (like... 18 of their 20 donuts have some kind of glaze), and I agree that 9 times out of 10 a local shop is infinitely better. We have this chain called Yum Yum Donuts here in LA and it's just disgusting. Bottom of the barrel donuts. I get so excited going into work, "there are donuts in the break room!" rush in, see the Yum Yum box, heart sinks out my ass. Really glad there's a Krispey Kreme here because I've actually yet to find anywhere else that I enjoy.

I'm super finicky about donuts though I guess? I mean, KK suffices, but I'm more of a cake donut guy, not the airy fluff pastries Krispy Kreme and Yum Yum and Wenchel's do (though I fuckin' love KK's Sour Cream cake donut, omg). Someone could offer me a fresh air donut or a packet of Hostess powdered donuts and honestly, I'd probably go for the Hostess. I'm really interested in that Strawberry donut you mentioned from Dunkin! I gotta stop by there on Monday and try one if it's not too far out of my way.

Edit: It's less than 5 minutes from SMCC yesssssssss

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The only donuts I care for at DD, are the French Crullers and the Old Fashioned/Cake Donuts. The Crullers are sweet and moist, and the old fashioned can actually hold up to be dipped into the coffee (hence the title of the place). It's gooood.

The rest of the donuts, like the glazed versions, are pretty average.

soco

i had no idea DD had such a following.

As I kid I liked getting donuts from there, but never remember them being that great.

Dunkin Donuts is overrated trash that's one step above crappy shipped in grocery store donuts.

I have never understood the love and adoration east coasters heap on to it.

Also, before you say it, the coffee sucks too. Congrats, it's not five bucks a cup, that doesn't mean its good.

Rizific

first store in cali? one opened up in san diego a few months ago. and what that other poster said, i remember there being one in my neighborhood in the 90s. i dont get it though, their donuts are whatever. when the one in san diego opened up, i had people on my ig feed boasting about waiting in line for over 2 hours for some regular ass donuts. not even close to krispy kreme goodness.

Nista

I mostly know DD for boxes of Munchkins back when I was a kid. Never actually drank their coffee.

I need to try some of the donuts shops here in Irvine. I have kinda sworn off pastries, even the delicious Japanese ones like curry donuts. :/

studyguy

They have/had one in Salinas CA. How is this different? Place was next to a god damn shitty gas stop. Is it news because this is some upscale version?

Calling bs on that title.

Coolness

Maybe third times the charm for DD. I remember eating DD when I was a kid but it was pretty meh. Unless something's changed, they'll probably lose against the local shops and better chains again.

rude

Banned
Shriek! Live in Riverside County and donuts here are incredibly cheap. Maybe 80 cents-$1 depending on what it is.

How can you compare In-n-Out to Dunkin Donuts? I mean, DD isn't bad or anything, but it's just what you expect: average donuts and average coffee.

as a Boston native residing in Cali im happy, in Boston there is a dunkin donuts on like every corner. I miss the sausage egg n cheese croissants and the variety of donuts you get from there.

Korigama

I had no idea whatsoever that there weren't any Dunkin' Donuts in California until now. They're okay, but not my first choice.

Nice. I'm gonna try this sometime. Interested to see what all the hype is about.

I've already got a few goto donut shops that serve these:

zztYcOz.jpg

Blueberry donuts are best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom