• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkin' Donuts opens first store in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunkin Donuts aren't everywhere?

And now that California gets this I think its only fair that Pennsylvania gets an In and Out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Youngin's don't know how good DD used to be when the goods were baked on premises each and every morning. They stopped maybe a year after they got coffee flavors other than regular and decaf.

At least their breakfast is still pretty good.

Youngin's don't know how good DD used to be when the goods were baked on premises each and every morning. They stopped maybe a year after they got coffee flavors other than regular and decaf.

Yeah it used to be great about 8 years ago and then they started changing their strategy/focus to be like McDonalds.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah it used to be great about 8 years ago and then they started changing their strategy/focus to be like McDonalds.

The donut change was in 1998 or so, though it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they've cheaped out even further.

At one time not only was DD widespread on the east coast but almost all of its stores besides some real hole in the wall rest stop locations had delicious fresh baked goods easily on par with Krispy Kreme...and shitty coffee.

Zombine

Banned
I never thought I would see the day where people are camping outside for Dunkin Donuts. Around here those stores are so ingrained in our daily life and our routine that I would say there is nothing extraordinary about them. I would even go as far to say that some of their donuts can be awful. I can't wait until one of those people order a jelly donut and there is a little Hershey kiss sized dab of jelly in the middle, and all you are left with is hard powdery dough.

I'm sure that if a Sonic opened around here people would be just as excited.

I wish there was an establishment here in Ireland devoted to donut/doughnuts and hot beverages like Dunkin Donuts in America. I'm so jealous. The only place I know where there's donuts available all day iis McDonalds.
Most places with donuts have them just early in the morning.

maruchan

Dunkin donuts where in la in the 80s their were tons of them. But as the la times mentions dunkin do nuts can not compete with local mom and pop donut shops. That was the reason they left la, la is filled with far superior local donut shops, not to mention mexican panaderias. Reason why their are so little winchils and yum yum donut places left..

The donut change was in 1998 or so, though it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they've cheaped out even further.

At one time not only was DD widespread on the east coast but almost all of its stores besides some real hole in the wall rest stop locations had delicious fresh baked goods easily on par with Krispy Kreme...and shitty coffee.

They're horrible. Donuts are tiny and even if you get some in the early morning they taste like they've been sitting around for a while (I imagine they're made at night in some central location and shipped around to the various stores.) The coffee is like bitter dishwater when it isn't loaded up with cream and sugar.

Maybe things will be different in a singular brand new location like that, but here it's bottom of the barrel.

Over here in Germany there are tons of Dunkin Donuts Stores in Berlin. In the rest of Germany there almost not existent. First time I was in Berlin I was so jealous because those Donuts were sooo good. Man I wish we had more of them around.
But I also have kind of abandoned all sweets so it's not that bad. But if I knew there would be a store around I might get weak

forrest

formerly nacire
Dunkin' Donuts is never the best donut option, ever.

This soo much. I've grown up around them and unfortunately where my wife and I just moved to, it would seem the franchise has a stranglehold on the donut scene around here. No mom and pop shops at all, just DD after DD. :(

Crazy to even think about there not being any DDs anywhere in the country considering I have 5 in my immediate area.

Their coffee is fucking splendid. Their breakfast sandwiches and hash browns are also good, and I like their donuts but I don't eat them often.

SeanR1221

As someone who literally has 5 within 3 miles here in Pennsylvania....they're alright. I get the black coffee sometimes.

Sonicbug

Article from last year about when Dunkin's shifted their focus from donuts to coffee: http://business.time.com/2013/06/26/dont-call-dunkin-donuts-a-donut-company/

It was awesome back when donuts were the focus and the store downtown here made them at that location... my friends would be out walking around and everything smelled like donuts.

Also, dunks used to be heavily franchised and quality tended to vary widely from store to store. Even now not every one carries the same stuff, like the french cruller turned into this mythical animal some people spend too much time hunting down.

Meanwhile, there's a rotary 10 minutes away with three DD's on it. Full saturation.

I don't drink coffee so I tend to avoid the stores, but I won't turn down munchkins when presented with them.

Dunkin Donuts fucking sucks. The amount of donut options they have in SoCal and they're getting excited about gross donuts delivered on a truck the night before. It's literally the same as being excited a McDonalds is opening in their neighborhood, except they're not in bumblefuck Arkansas

kIdMuScLe

I used to go to dunkin donuts when I was a kid then they disappear years ago so I don't know why they saying this is the first time dunkin donuts has been here.

mollipen

I just don't understand how in a place where there's Krispy Kreme why anyone would care about Dunkin' Donuts.

I don't understand how anybody would ever purposely go to Krispy Kreme. I found then to be some of the most awful donuts I've ever had.

Japanese Mr. Donut for life.

Cygnus

Banned
0902_dunkin_donuts_line_970-630x420.jpg

The spirit of murica in one image.

Dunkin Donuts is mediocrity at its finest. Nothing to really hate. Nothing to really like.
I was in NY a few weeks ago and surprised to see a DD on just about every block. WTH NYers.

Pretty sure some Dunkin' Donuts still make their own donuts. They're uncommon, but they still exist I think.

I live in Modesto, California when I'm not at school. Poor little local shop called Mr. T's Donuts has been holding their own for the past couple weeks. Used to be my favorite donut shop when I was kid.

Davey Cakes

Dunkin Donuts is mediocrity at its finest. Nothing to really hate. Nothing to really like.
I was in NY a few weeks ago and surprised to see a DD on just about every block. WTH NYers.
I'm a New Englander so I've lived in a culture where Dunkin' Donuts is finely ingrained.

I have no problems with Dunkies but you're right. It's very mediocre. Coffee is par to sub-par most of the time, usually only being saved by flavor shots (Pumpkin Spice being a good example). The donuts and pastries are meh. The regular foods (e.g. sandwiches) are tasty IMO but they're not high quality, just something you can grab real quick while you're getting your coffee. Obviously the bagels are...bagels.

This is why I'm not sure why California would be excited to get Dunkin' Donuts. It's an unremarkable chain. You're better off just going to your local coffee and pastry places, even if in some cases you might be paying more.

I don't understand how anybody would ever purposely go to Krispy Kreme. I found then to be some of the most awful donuts I've ever had.

Japanese Mr. Donut for life.

Yup, Krispy Kreme is awful. They tried to come to Canada but everyone hated them so they shut them all down. I waited in line at possibly the first one ever opened in Canada, Mississauga I think and what we got were these awful air filled warm squished....things.

Never ate them again.

Tripon

Article from last year about when Dunkin's shifted their focus from donuts to coffee: http://business.time.com/2013/06/26/dont-call-dunkin-donuts-a-donut-company/

It was awesome back when donuts were the focus and the store downtown here made them at that location... my friends would be out walking around and everything smelled like donuts.

Also, dunks used to be heavily franchised and quality tended to vary widely from store to store. Even now not every one carries the same stuff, like the french cruller turned into this mythical animal some people spend too much time hunting down.

Meanwhile, there's a rotary 10 minutes away with three DD's on it. Full saturation.

I don't drink coffee so I tend to avoid the stores, but I won't turn down munchkins when presented with them.
I'm shocked at how few stores sell French cruellers. We used to too, until the specific tool we used broke down and we didn't get a replacement.

This is why I'm not sure why California would be excited to get Dunkin' Donuts. It's an unremarkable chain. You're better off just going to your local coffee and pastry places, even if in some cases you might be paying more.

It's just nostalgia. As someone who grewup in the mid atlantic, then spent ten years in LA, and now lives in Maine, I would take any old run of the mill strip mall Cambodian donut shop in LA over DD any day of the week (my local was one at Sawtelle & Santa Monica in West LA).

Luckily in Portland we also have good local stuff like Holy Donut.

Only reason to drink DD coffee is for a road trip. Again, nostalgia paired with easy access (hello rest stops).

JBuccCP

I've never had Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme. There's a Shipley's like 100 yards from my house that I like. Their coffee is nothing special but the donuts are light and not to sweet. The coffee is nothing special.

Zombine

Banned
Wait till they find out that by lunch time they give up making donuts for the day and all they can get is a day old blueberry muffin with rock salt on it.

I was in Modesto last week and noticed the store across the street from my favorite mexican place El Rosal. It was completely full of people since it looked like they were doing a free coffee deal, but I didn't know it was the first store to come back to Cali.

Never understood what the big deal was with this place and Krispy Kreme since I usually just go for cake donuts and therefore can hit up any local store, but I can see people who need their coffee and other things all at once would go for it.

Its right about it not being the actual first time its been here since I could of swore Modesto even had one on the other side of town a long time ago.

I had Dunkin Donuts once in undergrad and found it fine. On Wednesday, my good friend from New Jersey who lives out here in SoCal now said he wanted to go to the new one out here and my other friend and I tagged along with him.

We got there around 7pm and waited in line for over an hour. The food was as I remembered it - good, but not really memorable - and definitely not worth the drive and the wait. When I asked him on the drive home whether it was worth it he unequivocally said yes. But he's always been a DD fan, I guess.

hitsugi

I had the nostalgia effect with Dunkin as well and remembered it being great as a kid. Well, I had it a few months ago in Vegas and it was mediocre at best. Not at all what I remembered :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom