• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

Into chapter two now, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I haven't had a game scratch a long-forgotten itch quite as effectively as this one has. It's 1997 in design sensibility and aestehtics, 2012 in convenience and production values. You hit this one out of the park, Noogy.

Have you been putting your points into defense? I beat it on Tough and health was my last stat I'd upgrade and instead favored Defense initially and then Fidget. Attack and Health I'd level up last though towards the very end I'd put more points into attack before health. Fidget and Defense were always capped, though.

Yeah, health upgrades seemed underpowered on Tough since save points don't restore your health. It's basically only good for avoiding OHKOs; the number of health items you have is essentially your health meter. I also invested heavily into Fidget, and less into attack, since plinking away with ranged attacks was safer than wading into the fray.

I got my walkie-talkie thing and I went to craft an item for the first time with the blacksmith and it sent me back to the dashboard! I was kind of scared to craft stuff after that, but it never happened again.

How do I even use the blacksmith item? It's showing up in my key items slot, but pressing A when it's selected doesn't do anything.

I'm 5 hours into this game and wanted to post a couple of things. First off, as many have said, it's an absolutely amazing game. I'm only five hours in, have enjoyed every gorgeous piece of art and moment of fluid combat. Noogy deserves mountains of success.

That said, I did want to address a query I once had and had seen others post; namely, is this a Metroidvania. As I said, I'm five hours in and it's certainly possible the game may shift, but based on what I've played at this point I'd have to say that no, the game is not a Metroidvania. This is an observation, not a criticism. The game is wonderful nonetheless. However, I have yet to experience that crucial where-do-I-go-next? feeling that defines a Metroidvania game. There is no doubt that the game has elements of a Metroidvania, but unless discerning where to go after obtaining a new ability is a key element of gameplay, and based on what I've played thus far it does not, then it's not a proper Metroidvania.

Again, this is an awesome game and anyone looking for a gorgeous adventure with beautifully fluid combat, engaging RPG elements, and tons of secrets would do well to play the game. It's just that anyone with something of a Metroid itch might not find it scratched by Dust.

It's mostly semantics, but I do agree that Dust doesn't hit on all the notes of engagement that a typical Metroidvania does. As you say, the fact that progression doesn't rely on your ability to remember where to use your new abilities makes the experience different, and the world map makes it feel less like you're gradually opening up new areas in a sprawling world. On the bright side, opportunities for frustration are minimized since progression isn't reliant on your memory. And it's certainly true that it delivers the standard Metroidvania experience of remembering where you need to use an upgrade to unlock a new item and watching the environment like a hawk for secrets and treasures.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm still on the fence with the characters in the game. Fidget talks too much, but some of the things she says are funny. Dust comes off as an edgy teenager who is straight out of some character chart from DeviantArt (I hate that he hides his face at all times).

zulux21

Yeah, health upgrades seemed underpowered on Tough since save points don't restore your health. It's basically only good for avoiding OHKOs; the number of health items you have is essentially your health meter. I also invested heavily into Fidget, and less into attack, since plinking away with ranged attacks was safer than wading into the fray.

How do I even use the blacksmith item? It's showing up in my key items slot, but pressing A when it's selected doesn't do anything.

the health upgrades aren't worth it at the start but (item)
after you get items that have regen on them
it becomes worth it.

as for the blacksmith, you have to find the blacksmith first before you can use the blacksmith plans :p

the health upgrades aren't worth it at the start but (item)
after you get items that have regen on them
it becomes worth it.

as for the blacksmith, you have to find the blacksmith first before you can use the blacksmith plans :p

Oh, I did find the blacksmith and talked to her. She even called me after I picked up the transceiver. I just can't figure out how to use it to call her. I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious.

TripOpt55

As opposed to going to the walkie talkie thing in the menu, you go to the blueprint you want forged. There should be a button to forge it, or craft it or something. Assuming you have the items necessary and don't mind paying the fee, you can then make it.

zulux21

Oh, I did find the blacksmith and talked to her. She even called me after I picked up the transceiver. I just can't figure out how to use it to call her. I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious.

oh then (tagged just because it describes how crafting works lol)
you should just have to hit a on the plan and it will go to the menu to craft stuff. You have to have the required materials but it shouldn't be an issue at all as long as you sold one of each material you have come across as the store replenishes material stock at a good rate. even nicer noogy let you buy materials from the store as well through the transceiver so as long as the store has the stock you can really craft from anywhere.

gwiz210

This game came out of nowhere and is really impressing me so far. I'm a few hours in and it's one of the best designed games I've played in a long time. Everything moves so smoothly, even the quick responsive menus. They almost remind me of Final Fantasy menus, in a really good way.

Feindflug

Some of the best games this whole generation are on XBLA. You need to get buying.

Give the demos for these a try. I think a few of these are now multiplatform.

The Twisted Pixel games:
>The Maw
>Splosion Man
>Comic Jumper
Trials HD
Trials Evolution
Geometry Wars 2
Shadow Complex
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Rez HD
Trenched (Iron Brigade)
Bastion
Limbo
Castle Crashers
Braid
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Personally I'd also put Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Fez, Omega Five, Ms. 'Splosion Man in the XBLA awesomeness list...and remove Comic Jumper and ITSP because they simply don't deserve to be there. :p

Back on topic I am 20% after almost 4hrs and got the
second power for Fidget after beating the first boss
which was a simple but a very good fight IMO - also the story is becoming more and more interesting...such a beautiful game to look at and the most important thing it's really fun as well. :)

Rad Agast

Taking it slow but enjoying every minute of this. Just reached the town in chapter two. Love it.

I need to know when the OST is out.

daevv

Bought Dust and Max Payne 3 yesterday. Guess which one keep me up till 1:30am? Dust of course! Great game, I'm loving it so far. Not too far in but already I'm in Symphony of the Night mode. Remembering that I can climb there, slide here, double jump there when I get the abilities. As an added plus my wife was watching me play and said it looks like I'm playing a cartoon and she liked the music, voices, and of course Fidget!

I never had much of a health problem on tough, once you get a few points in def you can take 5 or so hits before you need to eat, and I was returning to areas when I got a new skill and found gear that way too. One box near the start of the game actually has a +180 def item in it but you need to climb vines to reach it, if there was a way to dust storm up there you would be set for half the game lol.

Stuff like this is what makes the game so good, like castlevania SotN

H3xum

This game is amazingly awesome.

The art, the VO, the combat, the layout, everything is wonderful.

I'm only 66% of the way through the game and I'm throwing it into rare air with Bastion and Castle Crashers.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm done. Took me 16 hours to get 117%. Should've started on tough difficulty, normal was too easy, especially near the end with an overpowered Fidget. At least I have a reason to replay it now :)

Simon's Quest reference put a smile on my face, so awesome.

bumpkin

Bought Dust and Max Payne 3 yesterday. Guess which one keep me up till 1:30am? Dust of course! Great game, I'm loving it so far. Not too far in but already I'm in Symphony of the Night mode. Remembering that I can climb there, slide here, double jump there when I get the abilities. As an added plus my wife was watching me play and said it looks like I'm playing a cartoon and she liked the music, voices, and of course Fidget!
Hmm, I haven't tried firing the game up when my wife's in the room. Perhaps I'll experience something similar, thus getting me a free pass to play the game when she's in the living room with me. :)

Famassu

Too bad I'll never get to play this. :( My Xbox 360 just RROD'ed two or three weeks ago and I have absolutely no intention of buying a new one (this is, like, the sixth or seventh RROD in my family).

Lima

Too bad I'll never get to play this. :( My Xbox 360 just RROD'ed two or three weeks ago and I have absolutely no intention of buying a new one (this is, like, the sixth or seventh RROD in my family).

Thats why you should have bought a slim 2 years ago. Can't believe that people are still playing with old 360 models.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Thats why you should have bought a slim 2 years ago. Can't believe that people are still playing with old 360 models.

Yeah, fucking idiot. Why don't you just buy a complete 'nother system and stop whining that Microsoft should have sold you a working product!?

Completed the story a few days ago (haven't collected everything yet, but I'll be getting to that in the future). The game was great, and I'm glad I decided to buy it.

Just one question:
Was there ever a reason for General Gaius hating Moonbloods? It felt like that would be a major plot point, but I don't ever recall it being brought up.

Santiako

Completed the story a few days ago (haven't collected everything yet, but I'll be getting to that in the future). The game was great, and I'm glad I decided to buy it.

Just one question:
Was there ever a reason for General Gaius hating Moonbloods? It felt like that would be a major plot point, but I don't ever recall it being brought up.

It sounded like he was just following orders

Zomba13

Just one question:

Following orders and general racism?

Just finished the
Sorrowing Meadow, and loved the homage to Simon's Quest with the Mansions! The moment I went into the first one I was all giddy with nostalgia, the Mysterious Wall Chicken notwithstanding.

Also, just found
Haley in Archers Pass. I was so happy to finally forge "The Wicked" and get a 200 point boost to my attack.
I feel unstoppable....for now :)

Goddamn this game is so good. I truly haven't felt so excited to play a game since I think the SNES days. It can't be said enough Noogy, THIS GAME IS AMAZING!!!!!!

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just reached the 50% mark here after about 8 hours in.
Just got to the area where you search the 4 mansions
. Tough turned out to be the right choice for a first playthrough.

If the game keeps it up the pace to the end, this will be one of my favorite games of the generation. That's a list that has pretty much nothing but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on it.

So much fun.

OnPoint

Enjoying the game immensely but I had it randomly quit out on me today. No error code or anything, just went back to my Xbox Dash in mid-combat.

Super weird.

Top Bottom