• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

zulux21

Let's make it a contest:
Later today I'll choose the best name for each and hand out a free token through PM to each of the winners.

Note, sometimes the worst name is the best name. Have fun (and keep it clean)!
Try to format your response like so:

1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

in my head Figet's attack always got storm added to it when it got combined with the Dust Storm.

For the first attack I was reminded of the stargate sg1 episode with the balls of light that had a mind of their own and attacked people. Which in term reminded me of Will o' the Wisps thus for me when it's combined with the Dust Storm it's like a Will o' the Wisps storm to me, which I would shorten to Wisp Storm thus Fidget's attack would be Wisp for the first one.

The second one reminds me a lot of the pokemon move Fire Pledge
0CE7F.png

which I had in my head as fire pillar so I considered it the fire pillar storm when combined with the dust storm lol

The last one was a lightning storm for me thus it was just called lightning lol.

so...
1. Wisp/ Wisp Storm
2. Fire Pillar/ Fire Pillar Storm
3. Lightning/ Lightning Storm

thus my second and third ones aren't much different than yours lol

C4Lukins

Reposting this little contest for the new page:

I really should have come up with proper names for the Fidget projectile types. Internally I call them Fidget Triple, Fidget Pillar, and Fidget Bolt. Anyone have better ideas?

Let's make it a contest:
Later today I'll choose the best name for each and hand out a free token through PM to each of the winners.

1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

Fidgal Thunder, Fidget WM3, Fidget monolith... Those are my choices, I think you did fine the first time around.

Sticking within the original theme here are some amazingly alliterative names that just roll off the tongue.

1. Fidget Frenzy
2. Combustion Column
3. Binding Bolt

Working triple into the equation seemed odd considering it becomes anything but triple when enhanced so I dropped that naming convention, triple trouble maybe but nah.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This is what pops into my head when I think about Fidget's godlike abilities:

1. Seekers (Triple)
2. Bane Fire (Pillar)
3. Electric Swarm (bolt)

1. Fidget Pea Shooter
2. Fidget BBQ
3. Fidget, God of Thunder

lol.

1. Fidget the Spaghetti Missile Dispenser
2. Fidget dispenses Old Testament justice
3. Fidget the God of Thunder.

C4Lukins

Noogy, you really made an excellent game. No bull shit. I am ten plus hours in and it feels like a half hour. That is the greatest compliment I can give to a game. You play it, morning comes, and you stop because you have to do some shit. But the game sticks with you. While you are trying to sleep, 500 hit combos are manifesting your thoughts. You really made something special. I have to go back to Mass Effect to relate to the experience. I hope you are enjoying this. You deserve it.

1. Will 'o Wisp, Spirit of Light, Nimbat Dust (yeah that's 3 suggestions lol)
2. Raging Fire
3. Chain Lightning

or:
1. Guano
2. Failed Chemistry Experiment
3. Thor wants his hammer back

Noogy

Noogy, you really made an excellent game. No bull shit. I am ten plus hours in and it feels like a half hour. That is the greatest compliment I can give to a game. You play it, morning comes, and you stop because you have to do some shit. But the game sticks with you. While you are trying to sleep, 500 hit combos are manifesting your thoughts. You really made something special. I have to go back to Mass Effect to relate to the experience. I hope you are enjoying this. You deserve it.

Thank you for the compliment. If I may have your permission, I'd love to make this a box quote:

Dust: An Elysian Tail
You play it, morning comes, and you stop because you have to do some shit.

microtubule

Let's make it a contest:

1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

Nice! thanks for this Noggy.

In honor of the Mars landing.....

1.Mars
2.Phobos
3.Deimos

I'm about five hours in, and I think I had my fill. The combat is BOOOORING, flashy but lackluster and shallow, and there's just so much of it everywhere, all the time. There's pratically ZERO combat progression. The shit that works a hour into the game is the exact same thing that works five hours into the adventure. I enjoy the story, but the cutscenes look like a cheap Newgrounds game. It's got a nice soundtrack, some great VO(even Fidget is very charming), and you can tell it's a labor of love, but it's merely a decent game that wears out it's welcome after several hours of repetitive combat.

I'm about five hours in, and I think I had my fill. The combat is BOOOORING, flashy but lackluster and shallow, and there's just so much of it everywhere, all the time. There's pratically ZERO combat progression. The shit that works a hour into the game is the exact same thing that works five hours into the adventure. I enjoy the story, but the cutscenes look like a cheap Newgrounds game. It's got a nice soundtrack, some great VO(even Fidget is very charming), and you can tell it's a labor of love, but it's merely a decent game that wears out it's welcome after several hours of repetitive combat.

Did you enjoy Castlevania SotN at all , btw?

H3xum

So I just unlocked the slide finallllllly and I'm going back to some areas to slide my ass off and get some stuff. However, I've already hit a standstill and am discouraged.

There's an area with an elevated slide, is it possible to jump and slide in there? Should I give up on that as there will be a solution sooner or later or am I just missing something obvious

Did you enjoy Castlevania SotN at all , btw?

Love the Metroidvanias, where the simple combat and satisfaction is very much like the classic platformers it's based on, instead of the prolonged, constant, tedious beat'em'up sections of Dust. Not to mention SotN has MUUUUCH better exploration, level design, and a beautiful art direction that keeps you playing for hours on end, wanting to explore every nook and cranny, filling out that map. With Dust, I think, "I'm gonna have to go and do more of the same combo again and again and again if I go back, I think I have enough of that just going forward"

So I just unlocked the slide finallllllly and I'm going back to some areas to slide my ass off and get some stuff. However, I've already hit a standstill and am discouraged.

There's an area with an elevated slide, is it possible to jump and slide in there? Should I give up on that as there will be a solution sooner or later or am I just missing something obvious

I tried forever to get there, too.
Archer's Pass, right? I got spoiled on the existence of double jump, though, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it once I have the double jump.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Got my 1000 combo achievement.

That combo sound is addictive.

Share your wisdom please.

Best I could get up to was around the 500 mark. Maybe I should unequip all my uber items so that the enemies survive for longer.

I disagree with you. I'm a huge fan of SotN and Shadow Complex and I found Dust to be up there in terms of fun and polish. The world and the gameplay is so engaging that I've almost finished it. It's like stepping into a Disney cartoon with the exception that your protagonist is a whirling dervish of steel and magic. I wish Noogy allowed me to cut down the smug deer and rabbits that taunted me during the journey.

The animation is fluid, the combat is accessible and rarely ever frustrates me. I concede that the combat feels spamtastic but it's so glitzy and fluid that it made me feel so badass so that I enjoyed every minute of it. It was refreshing to control a character that felt powerful right from the beginning of the game. If I died then it was my fault for being careless or impatient. I rarely felt cheated. The user interface is polished and crafting weapons is encouraged due to how easy it is to do - the fact that I didn't to visit the shop to craft my items is a godsend. I never felt that I was fighting the game or that I was being punished.

The music and sound effects are fantastic and the overall direction is great. Cutscenes may be simplistic but they never outstayed their welcome nor did they ever strike me as being 'cheap'. I'm near the end of the game but I've put the finale off so that I can go exploring and using all my new found skills to find all that treasure.

It's a shame that you didn't enjoy it as I did :(

I'm looking forward to the sequel - what news Noogy? Surely you don't need rest?

Love the Metroidvanias, where the simple combat and satisfaction is very much like the classic platformers it's based on, instead of the prolonged, constant, tedious beat'em'up sections of Dust. Not to mention SotN has MUUUUCH better exploration, level design, and a beautiful art direction that keeps you playing for hours on end, wanting to explore every nook and cranny, filling out that map. With Dust, I think, "I'm gonna have to go and do more of the same combo again and again and again if I go back, I think I have enough of that just going forward"

On this point I felt the Sorrowing Meadows and Forest were the weaker sections due to the much higher enemy encounter rate, sections like one towards the back of the caverns where it was just obstacles could have been more abundant.
Though I guess the meadows did have the mansions.

Oh and that 1000 combo thing, Binding Bolt™ + many zombie things= Great success.
Though maybe that only works on normal mode.

Zomba13

1. Fidget stop playing with all those balls
2. Fidget no, get out of the oven
3. No Fidget, don't stick your face in the plug socket

Grisby

I'll give it a shot.

1. Fidget Fury
2. Fidget Fire
3. Fidget Shock

Boring I know, but that's a serious answer I supposed. Short and easy to remember.

Noogy

I'll give it a shot.

1. Fidget Fury
2. Fidget Fire
3. Fidget Shock

Boring I know, but that's a serious answer I supposed. Short and easy to remember.

That's fine, I'm expanding the prizes actually, 3 for the best best, and 3 for the worst best.

On this point I felt the Sorrowing Meadows and Forest were the weaker sections due to the much higher enemy encounter rate, sections like one towards the back of the caverns where it was just obstacles could have been more abundant.
Though I guess the meadows did have the mansions.

I admit that some areas could have been better balanced. My personal favorite would be
Blackmoor Mountains (Snowy area)
. I think that area had the perfect balance of exploration, backtracking, combat, and environmental hazards. Lessons learned to be sure.

Crap I meant to check the leaderboards late last night to get a sense of how it sold in the first week. Can someone give it a check now(at work)?

The completion leaderboard was approaching 38k some hours ago. Haven't checked since then.

Crap I meant to check the leaderboards late last night to get a sense of how it sold in the first week. Can someone give it a check now(at work)?

The only bad thing I have to say about combat is that the aerial dust storm move (with Fidget magic) seems to make up most of the battles, with the occasional stunlock for the big guys.

It's basically just Dust zooming around in the air left and right.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I propose that the sequel should have Bushido Blade style combat and no health meter. Dust and Fidget might lose body parts in the course of their journey ...

It's pretty much everything I feared from Muramasa comparisons. Pretty as hell, repetitive flashy shallow combat for people to feel good about themselves mashing buttons, half-assed metroidvania.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Reposting this little contest for the new page:

I really should have come up with proper names for the Fidget projectile types. Internally I call them Fidget Triple, Fidget Pillar, and Fidget Bolt. Anyone have better ideas?

Let's make it a contest:

1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

anyone have a quick a dirty link showing each attack?

1. Spirit Spheres
2. Flame Geyser
3. Meteoric Bolt

1. Sorcerous Globs of Annoyance
2. Infernal Flames of Indigestion
3. Cosmic Bolt of Shocking Inconvenience

This is fun :D

I admit that some areas could have been better balanced. My personal favorite would be
Blackmoor Mountains (Snowy area)
. I think that area had the perfect balance of exploration, backtracking, combat, and environmental hazards. Lessons learned to be sure.

I was thinking that this was indeed the most balanced location,
You had the moving platforms, icicles, avalanches, crumbling platforms and the enemies were more enjoyable to fight than the previous areas zombie chaps. Also on a background related point the sky gradually darkened as you travelled higher if i'm remembering correctly which I found pleasing. Though I still think I liked the caverns best, it's a setting that tends to be a bit plain but the foliage, underground lakes and music helped put it over for me though I would say the mountains were better from a gameplay standpoint.

As an aside you certainly got good mileage out of those bomb plant puzzles, those were always a treat, unless one enemy pops in out of nowhere to ruin everything.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
1. Glitzing Gale
2. Flaming Fount
3. Thunderclap of Triangulation

Grisby

So how many chapters are in the game? Is there a no return point? I'm curious because I want to continue but I also want to go back and get some treasure stuff.

So how many chapters are in the game? Is there a no return point? I'm curious because I want to continue but I also want to go back and get some treasure stuff.

The game doesn't save after the credits, so you can always go back from the final save point and clean up after you beat it.

Unless you have to get a bomb through that tunnel, you will be able to reach a slide's other side eventually. Also look around for breakable walls. =)

Thank you for the compliment. If I may have your permission, I'd love to make this a box quote:

Dust: An Elysian Tail
You play it, morning comes, and you stop because you have to do some shit.

You are my favorite person ever, man.

Zeth

I'm at the point where a
portal opens and some dialogue about "no turning back".
Will I be unable to return to other areas to complete things if I continue?

Edit: found answer a few posts up! And thanks Red

I'm at the point where a
portal opens and some dialogue about "no turning back".
Will I be unable to return to other areas to complete things if I continue?

Edit: and I hear the combo sound effects in my sleep (in a good way)

You're at
the last area, the volcano area. If you take the teleporter, you'll be warped back to the entrance of that area. You can continue on past that teleporter until the very last save point.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

Could always win for a friend:)

1. Fidget FOOSH!
2. Fidget BOOM!
3. WHAHWHahwahwhawwhgah!

Keeping with the idea that I don't think Fidget herself would name any of it, in any kind of serious way. Especially considering her description of Dust in combat!

Top Bottom