• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

totowhoa

Banned
Ugh, these mages suck. Not fun to fight.

In the graveyard area? They are super shitty at first but youll be wiping them out without too much trouble after you've gotten about halfway through the area. Definitely the worst enemy in the game... I never came across anything worse. Still more strong enemies later on, but those mages set the bar a little high given your level when you first get to them (was playing on tough mode for reference). They would have made better enemies in the final area IMO, though they would need a different theme.

Got to the last boss a few nights ago. Played a little sloppy and used items carelessly because it was late and I was ready for bed... Thought I'd just test him. Started getting into it and I'm pretty sure I nearly beat him because (last boss spoiler)
I was on part 3 .. Wish I hadn't wasted my items so carelessly now so I could have just done it then :p Gonna beat it sometime this week.

Also, fairly mild-spoiler achievement question:
saw there was a pair of achievements that require two play throughs or saving at the right time so you can get em both. I split my save files... One at the beginning of the last area, and the last one before the boss. So what's the deal with this achievement thing? Am I still safe? ....just realized I havent read the achievement list in a while but I don't recall anything like that

saw there was a pair of achievements that require two play throughs or saving at the right time so you can get em both. I split my save files... One at the beginning of the last area, and the last one before the boss. So what's the deal with this achievement thing? Am I still safe? ....just realized I havent read the achievement list in a while but I don't recall anything like that

The two achievements that require a split choice is just a side quest, and a fairly early one at that. I don't recall all the proper names of everyone but it deals with the young girl asking you to go find her brother who was sent off to do laundry for another villager. When you find him and collect the basket you're given a choice to be bad or good before returning the laundry to the villager. Save prior to that so you can pick both choices easily. If you skipped doing side quests than you should still have it available. If you already did the side quest just start up a game on easy and rush through to the main village, get the quest, and then zip over and complete it. Should be pretty quick.

Edit: Oh, and there's an achievement for beating the game on Tough or Hardcore. That's not something a properly placed save would help with since you have to play from the start on one of the two difficulties, I imagine. I could be wrong.

In the graveyard area? They are super shitty at first but youll be wiping them out without too much trouble after you've gotten about halfway through the area. Definitely the worst enemy in the game... I never came across anything worse. Still more strong enemies later on, but those mages set the bar a little high given your level when you first get to them (was playing on tough mode for reference). They would have made better enemies in the final area IMO, though they would need a different theme.

Got to the last boss a few nights ago. Played a little sloppy and used items carelessly because it was late and I was ready for bed... Thought I'd just test him. Started getting into it and I'm pretty sure I nearly beat him because (last boss spoiler)
I was on part 3 .. Wish I hadn't wasted my items so carelessly now so I could have just done it then :p Gonna beat it sometime this week.

There are two specific secret achievements that
are tied to the quest line about bringing back the little Aurora village girl's brother back. The brother was told by Gianni, the pompous older villager, to wash his laundry in some caverns. You find his laundry in a basket in the caverns next to a poison ivy(?) plant and Fidget gives you choice of either a.)putting the plant in the basket or b.)not putting the plant in the basket. You get an achievement for each choice after you turn in the finished quest to Gianni. If you have already completed the quest and saved after it then you can't go back. I was able to carefully not hit save spots after I made the choice so I could just reload the save prior and make a different choice. If you have already completed the quest then you could just restart the game on a different save and rush to that quest since it's fairly early on.

The other achievements can't be missed or are related to beating the game on a certain difficulty.

Noogy

Anyone who really knows me know how much this score means to me. Giant Bomb is what sustained me for those years when I didn't have time to play anything. I survived off of their podcasts and videos (watched Persona 4 ER at least four times during production). To know that they enjoyed the game so much is just so validating.

Also, it's my personal belief that GB was the catalyst in getting me into Summer of Arcade. More details in an upcoming interview I did with Polygon, should be up this week.

Just finished the
Sorrowing Meadow, and loved the homage to Simon's Quest with the Mansions! The moment I went into the first one I was all giddy with nostalgia, the Mysterious Wall Chicken notwithstanding.

So if I have one big regret, it was that I missed a fantastic opportunity for a joke here.
Upon finding the first item for Cora in one of the mansions, I wish I would have had Fidget say "Well, that's a bit anticlimactic. I was expecting to find some sort of rib or rotting body part."

Yeah same thing happened to me. Posted about it a few pages back. Even the way it did it, it almost felt....intentional?

Booting to the dashboard between maps... I'd love to lie and say this is meant to be a meta experience, but no, it's an issue that I'll address in a Title Update. I deeply apologize if this ever happens to anyone.

Hero

Great review and remarks! Hope the rest go well too.

Getting this as soon as I get my Xbox back.

PS Noogy I hope I didn't say anything to offend you after PAX East.

Noogy

PS Noogy I hope I didn't say anything to offend you after PAX East.

Hah, oh, I don't remember if you did? You'd have to jog my memory. TBH, I normally don't take offense easily. Otherwise I would have populated Dust:AET with American white dudes ;)

You can't win a fursuit as an avatar award? I'm kind of surprised.

There are a number of Avatar Items here, including outfits, props, and a Fidget pet.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Dust-An-Elysian-Tail/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a67

Hero

Hah, oh, I don't remember if you did? You'd have to jog my memory. TBH, I normally don't take offense easily. Otherwise I would have populated Dust:AET with American white dudes ;)

I hope I didn't! I wanted to run something on my blog about your game with some screens but your website was down at the time. Wasn't sure if my e-mail went to your spam and send you a PM on here but never heard back. I knew you were busy working on the game so I didn't want to bug you about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to chapter 2, so I'm going pretty slow but goddamn this is a quality game.

I did get a boot to dashboard when I went to open a chest in Aurora, but everything aside from that has been great.

Noogy

I did get a boot to dashboard when I went to open a chest in Aurora, but everything aside from that has been great.

That's a new one on me, thanks for noting it. Have heard a similar issue with crafting, I suspect they are related. Added to the todo list for an update.

BTW, if i remember correctly today is the last day you can take advantage of the "Buy 3 SoA games get 400msp back". For those sitting on the fence about Dust:AET this might be a nice incentive.

Or of course you could just use these: (Please respond if you've secured a token)

QJDC7-2T2TC-QFDJT-RKDGM-P63XZ
M93J3-TDVKM-R62W3-2RX24-G2MMZ
GQX3V-DF2YP-2Q2D9-V79J3-T3WWZ

Riposte

I'm wondering if I should give this game a try. I have yet to find a recommendation I feel like I can trust. Having a big combo system which goes up to high numbers isn't enough for me (also being a "metroidvania" isn't a "pro").

Anyone here generally think XBLA indie games (e.g. Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Castle Crashers) suck, but still are liking this game? That seems like a safe condition.

That's a new one on me, thanks for noting it. Have heard a similar issue with crafting, I suspect they are related. Added to the todo list for an update.

BTW, if i remember correctly today is the last day you can take advantage of the "Buy 3 SoA games get 400msp back". For those sitting on the fence about Dust:AET this might be a nice incentive.

Or of course you could just use these: (Please respond if you've secured a token)

another 3 codes taken by lurkers, thanks for sharing though Noogy

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Anyone here generally think XBLA indie games (e.g. Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Castle Crashers) suck, but still are liking this game? That seems like a safe condition.

Games you're describing there are, although kinda pure experiences, are pretty light on the gameplay. Meatboy is just jump and run, CastleCrashers is floaty combat, and Limbo is atmosphere.

Dust has atmosphere AND gameplay to boot, its pretty splendid. Combat feels very free, especially when you start to learn how to just fucking soar through the air all the time, and environments are very well created.

Plus theres always a demo, so duhhhhhhhhhh?

teraMEL0S

I finally beat the game earlier tonight.
I absolutely loved the cameos. The Fez/Gomez part was so hard to get out of, haha. It was really cool seeing them in Deans art style.
Overall, I felt it was really enjoyable. If you are on the fence, I'd say get off of it and buy the game.

nasos_333

Games you're describing there are, although kinda pure experiences, are pretty light on the gameplay. Meatboy is just jump and run, CastleCrashers is floaty combat, and Limbo is atmosphere.

Dust has atmosphere AND gameplay to boot, its pretty splendid. Combat feels very free, especially when you start to learn how to just fucking soar through the air all the time, and environments are very well created.

Plus theres always a demo, so duhhhhhhhhhh?

Agreed, Dust is a far more complete package, more than Bastion imo too

I would put it up there with Clash of Heroes (a game i have spent more than 50 hours in and still play)

aku:jiki

Meatboy is just jump and run
As someone who just picked up SMB (I've owned it since release but never got around to it), I have to say that's an absurd oversimplification. Not only does Meat Boy have more skills than that, but the game demands every last ounce of gaming skills and concentration you have. The game is pure, distilled gameplay.

BTW, your cameos is what made me pick SMB back up, Noogy! All the cameos made me want to play another game with a similar thing and SMB has it in spades. It's too bad that the guys don't seem to be working on SMB2, so we won't be seeing a Dust cameo any time soon. :(

Riposte said:
Why do you hate gaming?

Ledsen

Just a tip, you should post these codes in email tags, like so (remove the *):

[*email=insert code here]not here though because this text will show up in the post![*/email]

In other news, I'm getting super-hyped about this game, but would need to fill up my account with MS points that I know I won't use for anything other than this... but god from what everyone's been saying this seems AMAZING. Metroidvanias are my absolute favorite genre and contains some of my favorite games of all time (with Super Metroid at the top) and this seems like it could be up there with them...

Noogy

Just a tip, you should post these codes in email tags, like so (remove the *):

[*email=insert code here]not here though![*/email]

In other news, I'm getting super-hyped about this game, but would need to fill up my account with MS points that I know I won't use for anything other than this... but god from what everyone's been saying this seems AMAZING. Metroidvanias are my absolute favorite genre and contains some of my favorite games of all time (with Super Metroid at the top) and this seems like it could be up there with them...

Thanks, I had no idea how Toy was handling those, which is why I let him hand out the majority of codes (thanks again, Matt!) I'll make sure to do that in the future.

Ledsen

Thanks, I had no idea how Toy was handling those, which is why I let him hand out the majority of codes (thanks again, Matt!) I'll make sure to do that in the future.

Yep, it'll make sure that only people who are able to quote your post (=members instead of lurkers) will see the code. Also will you be giving away any European codes or are codes not region locked?

I love this game, and I sincerely hope that it does incredibly well for the dev. I was planning to buy it mainly off the strength of the visuals
(and because I like the animal characters, come at me)
, but it's really exceeded my expectations in general.

I'm not one to analyse game combat in detail, but it just feels fluid and satisfying enough that I can happily fight the same enemies over and over without getting bored. The last game that I found so satisfying was Bayonetta.

The sound is terrific. I love that the UI audio is reminiscent of 16/32 bit console games without being obnoxiously 'omg retro'. Something about it very much reminds me of Saturn games, for some reason.

The character animation during the cutscenes is just perfect. I like that Dust himself is a nice, likeable guy, when so many games leads have to be arrogant wisecrackin' rogues these days. The in-game animation is obviously wonderful too, although I actually kind of liked the weird run that he had in the really old videos, haha.

Only ONE THING that bothers me (and maybe this has been brought up a million times already) is that there's no warning when you're low on health... does anyone else find themselves dying occasionally just because you weren't paying attention to the health bar? All it needs is for the bar to flash or a speech bubble from Fidget or something. But that's really the only thing that's bothered me so far.

Only ONE THING that bothers me (and maybe this has been brought up a million times already) is that there's no warning when you're low on health... does anyone else find themselves dying occasionally just because you weren't paying attention to the health bar? All it needs is for the bar to flash or a speech bubble from Fidget or something. But that's really the only thing that's bothered me so far.
Both the bar and Dust himself flash red when he's near death.

Really? How near? A friend was having the same problem, so I didn't think it was just me not paying attention... but maybe it was. :S
What's more likely to be happening, I think, is that you're not actually near death but instead taking a lot of damage at once. So, like, if the cutoff for "near death" is having 100HP, you have 300HP and take 350HP damage.

OnPoint

It didn't happen to me between maps, mine happened while fighting the first mage I saw in the Meadows. I was doing the lightning/spin combo and it just booted out.

mujun

I'm wondering if I should give this game a try. I have yet to find a recommendation I feel like I can trust. Having a big combo system which goes up to high numbers isn't enough for me (also being a "metroidvania" isn't a "pro").

You can figure out if you want to play it based on a video review or something?

Sounds like you want someone to convince you to buy it just so you can complain about if after you have :p

Geoff9920

After trying the demo the other day and reading Brad's giantbomb review early this morning I picked up the game and played a bit prior to going to work this morning. I ended up going into work an hour and a half later than I had antipicated... woops. It wasn't entirely due to playing the game, but mostly. :p

derfybzh

Guys I need some help on finding the double jump ability , right now I'm stuck
trying to find the last relic from meadow of desolation

The mage enemies have a low hp pool, it's just that they will evade your melee attacks.

I think on tough I had fidget upgraded to about 4 blocks and then whetever gear I had around that time, it was enough to do 4 bursts of her skill to kill one.

Silly question, but how do you slide in this again? No mention in the control or help menu. I unlocked the ability a few days ago, but forgot how to do it.

Shady859

Still loving the game i'm at 55% complete I think it said at last save, was the 80's for combo chains overall as well but I completely gave that up after seeing the top guys was still 4 times higher than mine. Honestly though I completely skip all the chatter, i'm bored with that but love the whole platforming parts of it. I just look back at the quest list and see what needs done.

Highly recommend though.

Riposte

You can figure out if you want to play it based on a video review or something?

Sounds like you want someone to convince you to buy it just so you can complain about if after you have :p

I'm not the type of guy who gets buyer's remorse. It is just hard to get a good grasp on what is a worthy opinion in an OT. Since this is a 2D action game, I'd like to see fans of Hard Corps rather than Super Meat Boy give their take on it. Also, no a video review doesn't do much for me, especially consider the criteria of people who make the video reviews that I know of. I like hearing more intimate details on a game.

Nope just you.

You have knee-jerked replied in a way that doesn't even make sense.

zulux21

I'm not the type of guy who gets buyer's remorse. It is just hard to get a good grasp on what is a worthy opinion in an OT. Since this is a 2D action game, I'd like to see fans of Hard Corps rather than Super Meat Boy give their take on it. Also, no a video review doesn't do much for me, especially consider the criteria of people who make the video reviews that I know of. I like hearing more intimate details on a game.

lol best I can do for you is
Hard Corps (oh darn I died again, but I died with a smile) > Super meat boy (alright in general, but not an amazing game...)
Dust (drool......) > Limbo (bleh... boring game)

but castle crashes is a co op blast for me :p

as others have said there is a demo though, give the demo a try, if you enjoy the combat then get the game, if you don't then it likely won't be for you. There is more to the game than the combat, but I have to figure if you can't at least slightly enjoy the combat you won't enjoy the game even with the other fun stuff in it.

But this plays nothing like those games, what would fans of Hard Corps be able to tell you specifically? Wouldn't a better comparison be Castlevania or 2D hack-and-slash fans? They've already chimed in with their opinions, too.

There's a demo, give it a go.

Grisby

Thanks for the above mage tips. Yes, they are in the graveyard and I'm playing on tough. The mage isn't so tough as the exploding one hit kill deal enemy can be.

My fidget was a low level so I was having trouble.

Wonko_C

From someone who didn't like Bastion, Limbo, Braid, Castle Crashers and Super Meat Boy, (don't hate me!) but liked Hard Corps: Uprising (only a bit, I still think Contra 4 is the best), Dust became my undisputed GOTY. Nothing that came before and nothing that will come later this year will change my mind, I like it that much. :)

Sorry if I can't be more articulate about it: I would describe this game as something with Muramasa's combat (only better, IMO) with actual level design, and Muramasa and Odin Sphere are two of my favorite games ever. And that's it, really.

Odrion

Banned
Anyone who really knows me know how much this score means to me. Giant Bomb is what sustained me for those years when I didn't have time to play anything. I survived off of their podcasts and videos (watched Persona 4 ER at least four times during production). To know that they enjoyed the game so much is just so validating.
You're going to like this week's bombcast, then!

Noogy

Those flying mage things.... kill me now.

You'll definitely want to use a Fidget type that hits multiple enemies, either the fire pillar or lightning.

I really should have come up with proper names for those attacks. Internally I call them Fidget Triple, Fidget Pillar, and Fidget Bolt. Anyone have better ideas?

Let's make it a contest:
Later today I'll choose the best name for each and hand out a free token through PM to each of the winners.

Note, sometimes the worst name is the best name. Have fun (and keep it clean)!
Try to format your response like so:

1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

Noogy

Reposting this little contest for the new page:

I really should have come up with proper names for the Fidget projectile types. Internally I call them Fidget Triple, Fidget Pillar, and Fidget Bolt. Anyone have better ideas?

Let's make it a contest:
Later today I'll choose the best name for each and hand out a free token through PM to each of the winners.

Note, sometimes the worst name is the best name. Have fun (and keep it clean)!
Try to format your response like so:

1. Triple
2. Pillar
3. Bolt

Top Bottom