• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

TripOpt55

About 80% done. What an awesome game. I really enjoy getting cool new gear. I get kind of excited by how much some of my attributes jump up with something new.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I've just finished the game (and I rarely finish games these days - my Steam backlog is alarming) and wow, now I can resume my life again.

BTW the bodycount at the end was quite prodigious.

Someone please tell me how
to get the treasure outside directly above Mudpot. It's driving me crazy!

Cheers.

There's two ways...
And this is assuming you mean the "friend" that's locked up in the area above Mudpot? It's the only thing I can think of by your description.

The proper way would be to first grab the bomb that's in the screen to the left of Mudpot along the path to the teleporter thing. Bring that with you while avoiding the two enemies (I rushed path the mouth thing and left the bomb in the mid area while slicing up the goblin guy) and then break the glowing rock stuff. From there you get an air vent that blows upwards. You get a late ability to give you a boost jump off of air vents and that should give you the height you need.

Now, the way I did it doesn't require much of any of that because I didn't have the boost jump and didn't realize I would get it, heh. Instead I lead the goblin fellow over to the air vent area and equipped the Ugly Pendant (if that's the one that drops your attack strength and such). Then with a standing dust storm followed by an aerial dust storm up I accelerated enough to launch myself up. In fact this is how I reached pretty much everything well before I should have been able to when enemies made it possible.

There's two ways...
And this is assuming you mean the "friend" that's locked up in the area above Mudpot? It's the only thing I can think of by your description.

The proper way would be to first grab the bomb that's in the screen to the left of Mudpot along the path to the teleporter thing. Bring that with you while avoiding the two enemies (I rushed path the mouth thing and left the bomb in the mid area while slicing up the goblin guy) and then break the glowing rock stuff. From there you get an air vent that blows upwards. You get a late ability to give you a boost jump off of air vents and that should give you the height you need.

Now, the way I did it doesn't require much of any of that because I didn't have the boost jump and didn't realize I would get it, heh. Instead I lead the goblin fellow over to the air vent area and equipped the Ugly Pendant (if that's the one that drops your attack strength and such). Then with a standing dust storm followed by an aerial dust storm up I accelerated enough to launch myself up. In fact this is how I reached pretty much everything well before I should have been able to when enemies made it possible.

Got it, thanks!

Also
How awesome is that Bastion section!

Sorrowing Meadow + Lightning Spell + Ugly Pendant.

Just saw this, thank you!

BigAT

So I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing to hit the 117% mark. I'm currently sitting at 116%, with every map item at 100%/100% and I've gotten every achievement aside from the second laundry one.

Any ideas?

I have 117% and still missing one material so I don't think it's something like that.

Done all the side quests? none you have forgot to finish?

Does it say 116% in the pause menu or the leaderboard? noogy did say it takes a few minutes to update the online leaderboard.

Just finished it. Great game, loved the ending. Combat did get a little tedious for me by the end, though. Also had a crash to the dashboard on the last boss, which was a bummer. Still, it's definitely up there in terms of my favorite DL games this year. Noogy, I tip my hat to you, sir.

Finished it also yesterday. Excellent XBLA game.

I've never found out how to escape from spikes and lava though.
Dust would just bounce around taking damage for 3 min and I couldn't do anything but reload.

Anyway, my only suggestion for sequel would be to rework combat for something less spammy and chaotic.

Grisby

Finished. After 15 hours I felt that I definitely got my moneys worth. Some nice combat although I felt like there should have been a teensy bit more variety and not so many exploding enemies.

I didn't dig the character art outside of Fidget and Dust. However, the background art more than made up for any misgivings I might have had. I had 2 crash to game libraries in the course of my adventure and some hitches in the framerate but nothing that lasted more than a millisecond. Overall, it was pretty smooth and fun. That is the most important part, that dust controlled well and the game was fun to play!

So yeah, great game guy. Really something to be proud of.

I didn't dig the character art outside of Fidget and Dust.
The Mudpot people were a little weird looking.
Same with the
Moonblood leader

And
Gaius
looked a little bit too sad and mellow to be the
genocidal maniac
story claims him to be.

Scott

Could be, is there a complete list of the side quests anywhere? I don't have any incomplete ones in my log, so it would have to be one I haven't even started yet.
You may be missing the same one I was, which was from Moska in Aurora. If it's the one I'm thinking of: he just wants your autograph, so you need a piece of paper (material) and about 30 seconds of time to complete it.

Oh my freaking god, I just
kneeled at the hourglass (I figured it was the only thing I could do, since there are no Hourglass shaped items) in Blackmoor Mountains and the tornado appeared--HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have known it was coming after visiting all the Mansions!

miserable

Where do i find the
fire ability for Fidget
?
I'm at
Moonblood Camp
and i can't progress without it.Seems i should have gotten it earlier but somehow i missed it?

Yo Gotti

Banned
So I'm playing on Tough and I'm entering The Sorrowing Meadow. I'm level 13 and feeling HORRIBLY underpowered. Any advice?

Yea, you're underleveled.

I hit that place at level 18 and still had a bit of trouble.

Go do some sidequests if you have any. If you don't, go back and treasure hunt.

Where do i find the
fire ability for Fidget
?
I'm at
Moonblood Camp
and i can't progress without it.Seems i should have gotten it earlier but somehow i missed it?

It's one of those floating ability orbs after defeating the first boss (the masked fire enemy fellow). Just go back to the area you fought him and take a look around. I can't recall its exact location but I doubt it'll be too hard to spot once you're in that area.

bryanee

My mate is having some issue and was wondering if any of you could help or are having the same problems?

His problem word for word, take note I have no idea if any of this are spoilers so I'll spoiler it just incase.

I've come across a major bug in the game. I've just completed the quest in the mountains and when I teleport to go to the next area I look at my map and I can't go to a few areas without it crashing. Caverns and Forest says 0% explored and there's nothing on the local map and when I click to go there the game just crashes. Aurora says only 62% explored (explored 90-100%) but again the local map is empty and it crashes if I try to teleport there. The new area (after mountains) says I have explored 77% of the area and got 100% of the treasure, yet on the map it just shows teleport squares and a few other squares (I've never been there yet). Also when I go to the Sanctuary it has 9 or so characters in it and a couple DJs, yet I've only found 2 and when I found a new one I was greeted by an empty cage.

I've tried clearing my cache, re-downloading and changing my gamer pic, still the same situation. No idea what to do now

Any help? Cheers.

BigAT

You may be missing the same one I was, which was from Moska in Aurora. If it's the one I'm thinking of: he just wants your autograph, so you need a piece of paper (material) and about 30 seconds of time to complete it.

This ended up proving to be what I was missing, thanks.

big_z

finished it yesterday. i enjoyed it despite not liking furries and the anime story. gameplay wise a few things bugged me like not being able to grab the bottom quarter of vines, the way the dodge works and crafting and loot could have been better. i always found i got the best item drops really quickly which killed crafting. i was playing on tough.

still overall it was worth the money and if you liked Muramasa this is worth playing.

bs000

Soooo, it looks like there's a glitch for infinite gold. For some reason when you sell materials in multiples of 256, the shop gives you the gold but doesn't take the items. You can sell the same stack of materials as many times as you want. You could like, buy unlimited food items for hardcore difficulty :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8c2RlOXlDg

I found he was a pushover on tough, if you do ever get knocked back you can air dash to a safe side.

Problem is I want to damage him after a parry, but I get knocked back. So I try to dash forward and hit him, but instead I dodge away ...
Then I beat him twice, and yeah ... he is just a bulletsponge, if you ask me.

Edith: gave up for now, Leveled from 27 -> 37, but I'm still get random hit sometimes. And doing him over and over, yeah fuck that.

Edith2: Done.

Tonight I decided to give a speed run a try on casual to see how much I remember of the games areas and how fast I can do the entire game in, final time (counted out of the game, not the in-game timer) from the start menu to the final hit on the general was 2:57, i think that is reasonable being that I had a black screen thrown to 360 system crash and spent 10 minutes climbing up the pass to craft something only to find I was one item short doh!

I think that casual was messing me up though with the auto leveling, i needed more atk in parts but the game was of course balancing out my powers all the way.

Will try again tomorrow on normal and this time planning ahead with item craft, really needed power sometimes.

*edit* noticed the leaderboard for time puts you higher for longer playing, not shorter. um wtf :/

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i just bought Dust on friday on a whim and i'm very glad i did, everything about this game is awesome so far (5 hours in), the gameplay and the writing are top notch. Noogy made a great game.
Also i can't believe this game is E for everyone, people actually get killed and there's talk of genocide, that's some pretty grim themes to have on a game with an E rating. There's nothing graphic shown but still.

Just beat the game a little while ago. Total playtime for me was a little over 22 hours with 117% completion including taking the time to level up to
the maximum of 60 using 2 Rings of the Artisan (1.2x EXP boost each). I don't know if the stats stack but going back and forth in the Everdawn Basin made quick work getting to the max nonetheless. BTW, Gaius was a pushover at Level 60 on Normal.
I can easily say that this is hands down my favorite game of the year. The quality that this game exudes just boggles my mind. Thank you Noogy and all who were involved for making this outstanding game!

Kweh

Are there any good video guides for the treasures in The Sorrowing Meadow? I can't find the one in the location I am in at all.

daycru

ykeMq.png

and about 40000 on the leaderboards.
Awesome news, love love love this game. Sorrowing Meadows takes it to a whole 'nother level. Congratulations, noogy! You created a great work that everyone in my apartment has just been transfixed by.

Pretty close to wrapping a bow on it, can't find the treasure in the top left hand corner of the Meadows.

Noogy

So I had the honor of doing a cross interview with Ken Lobb, Creative Director at Microsoft. I was floored to find out he loved Dust:AET, and PlayXBLA arranged a meeting.

Considering Ken's history in the medium, it was fun coming up with a series of questions (and how could I not ask one about the Klobb from Goldeneye?). Enjoy!

http://playxbla.com/?p=17412

I've been enjoying this game so much, but now it crashes to the dashboard anytime I try to go to the cavern region below the main town on the world map... and that's where my next main objective lies. I tried going around to some other areas to level up and complete sidequests, but it still crashes the same way when I return to this one place. It's the dark cave area containing the underground town.

Not sure if it's related, but I also noticed that some parts of the map were cleared out from places I'd been before, as if I'd never gone there in the first place. I had to go through them again to fill out the map once more. The keys and chests seemed to regenerate, but maybe that's a normal part of the game. It doesn't appear that I've lost any other progress, just the maps being filled out.

Anyway, now I can't really continue playing until a patch is released. Any word on when that might happen? Did a quick search online and it seems others have been experiencing similar crashes, though not in this particular location.

Hey Noogy, I remember you saying that you were working on a Post-Mortem with Gamasutra I believe. Was that ever released? If not, do you have an idea of when it will? I'm really interested to hear about how the game came to be.

Trumpets

I think I must be missing something about the combo system. I got the counter up to 4000+ whilst trying to complete the 'c-c-c-combo' quest, but nothing updated and my max combo stat is still only about 700.

Is there something you have to do to 'authorise' the combo once you've got a decent chain going?

I think I must be missing something about the combo system. I got the counter up to 4000+ whilst trying to complete the 'c-c-c-combo' quest, but nothing updated and my max combo stat is still only about 700.

Is there something you have to do to 'authorise' the combo once you've got a decent chain going?

It can't end with you getting hit, or it won't count.

I am finding that if I speed run the game too fast it will crash very often, last nightie crashed after fuse while trying to load, complete system lock up.

I really want to speed run this game :(

Chairhome

So i just bought Dust on friday on a whim and i'm very glad i did, everything about this game is awesome so far (5 hours in), the gameplay and the writing are top notch. Noogy made a great game.
Also i can't believe this game is E for everyone, people actually get killed and there's talk of genocide, that's some pretty grim themes to have on a game with an E rating. There's nothing graphic shown but still.

To be fair, its E10+, not just E.

I bought the game last night and the game is amazing. I love the references (mysterious wall chicken!) and the gameplay is very fun. I've only gotten past the first boss but can't wait to play more.

Noogy

I've been enjoying this game so much, but now it crashes to the dashboard anytime I try to go to the cavern region below the main town on the world map... and that's where my next main objective lies. I tried going around to some other areas to level up and complete sidequests, but it still crashes the same way when I return to this one place. It's the dark cave area containing the underground town.

Not sure if it's related, but I also noticed that some parts of the map were cleared out from places I'd been before, as if I'd never gone there in the first place. I had to go through them again to fill out the map once more. The keys and chests seemed to regenerate, but maybe that's a normal part of the game. It doesn't appear that I've lost any other progress, just the maps being filled out.

Anyway, now I can't really continue playing until a patch is released. Any word on when that might happen? Did a quick search online and it seems others have been experiencing similar crashes, though not in this particular location.

Both of these have been added to my bug list, and I'm actually getting on an update very soon. May I ask, when it crashes underground, is it as the scene transitions between maps? Do you have a specific location? Thanks.

There is chance that mutlithreading between maps is causing issues. Also related to trying to speedrun. VERY hard to test, but I'll do my best.

Hey Noogy, I remember you saying that you were working on a Post-Mortem with Gamasutra I believe. Was that ever released? If not, do you have an idea of when it will? I'm really interested to hear about how the game came to be.

Yep, I'm actually working on that this week. I'm trying to integrate some sketches/music in development as well, to flavor it a bit. I also did a thing for Polygon but it hasn't gone up yet, I'll see what's up with that.

Top Bottom