• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustin Furman of Last Stand Media(Colin Moriarty's company) and his wife tragically lost their newborn baby. A gofundme is setup to contribute.

Bridges

Why the fuck do you need a gofundme for that? Americans are weird.
Because:
In the U.S. you're looking at about $19k just to have a baby. Medical care after a miscarriage goes over that depending on what all needs to take place. Insurance can cover a big portion of that, but you need to have decent coverage.

Not pocket change.

It's all incredibly sad, he was obviously so excited and this is one of the worst things that could happen to a couple. Obviously they would trade every dollar for their son to be alive, some of you guys are heartless.

Still time to delete this.
Boombox Shut Up GIF
It doesn't get more personal than losing a kid. This is so fucking out of place here I can't even begin to express my disgust...
So a hearty:
go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
What is wrong with you? Just such a weird thing to say in a situation like this.

Almost as weird as total strangers handing him $10 thinking it'll alleviate the pain in any sort of way. He said he wants to get away for awhile and I'd think the steady influx of cash would just remind him of it.

Should've just let him have his peace with his wife, family and closest friends and let that be it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through. It's heartbreaking. I hope they find peace and comfort in each other.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Almost as weird as total strangers handing him $10 thinking it'll alleviate the pain in any sort of way. He said he wants to get away for awhile and I'd think the steady influx of cash would just remind him of it.

Should've just let him have his peace with his wife, family and closest friends and let that be it.
The world doesn't care what you're going through, it'll still hand you a bill at the end of it. A lot of people wish they could grieve something like this without worrying about being out of work.

In this case, the hospital doesn't care how the baby came out. They're still going to charge them for delivery and whatever other costs are associated with dealing with a deceased individual. His wife was going to be out of work anyways for maternity leave, and now will probably be out of work even longer, dealing with postpartum depression, depression over losing a child, shame over losing a child, and they're both going to feel a lot of guilt and pain over losing a child, and god knows what other bullshit their brains is going to throw at them. They can either let that fester and eat at them and their relationship, or they could - when ready - get help in learning how to deal with it. That's not free. It takes time. Which makes it more expensive. I'm sure they appreciate any help they can get with that.

It also looks like this is being ran by someone other than him, so if the constant reminder of money coming in was even a problem for him, he's insulated from it.

If you all stop being edgelords dickheads for one fucking minute and think, you may perhaps discover an ounce of empathy.

Edit: Chuck Berry Chuck Berry thought that none of this mattered because I used a 'cheesedick' term. I don't know what that means, but I edited it. I pray he's satisfied.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If you all stop being edgelords for one fucking minute and think, you may perhaps discover an ounce of empathy.

Your argument loses all meaning when you pull out some cheesedick internet term like this fyi

Last edited:

wvnative

The world doesn't care what you're going through, it'll still hand you a bill at the end of it. A lot of people wish they could grieve something like this without worrying about being out of work.

In this case, the hospital doesn't care how the baby came out. They're still going to charge them for delivery and whatever other costs are associated with dealing with a deceased individual. His wife was going to be out of work anyways for maternity leave, and now will probably be out of work even longer, dealing with postpartum depression, depression over losing a child, shame over losing a child, and they're both going to feel a lot of guilt and pain over losing a child, and god knows what other bullshit their brains is going to throw at them. They can either let that fester and eat at them and their relationship, or they could - when ready - get help in learning how to deal with it. That's not free. It takes time. Which makes it more expensive. I'm sure they appreciate any help they can get with that.

It also looks like this is being ran by someone other than him, so if the constant reminder of money coming in was even a problem for him, he's insulated from it.

If you all stop being edgelords for one fucking minute and think, you may perhaps discover an ounce of empathy.
Well said.

I think some people don't realize the full ramifications of tragic situations like this.

Shifty1897

Does LSM not pay for health insurance?

Usually out of pocket max is called at like $10k per year

I see the go fund me goal was about $5k, he’s got 6x that so hopefully his costs are covered

Terrible loss
I don't think LSM does. If they do, it's probably just subsidized, health insurance costs for small businesses are absolutely staggering. It's thousands of dollars a month to cover a single family.

Last edited:

Dutchy

You're a fucking weirdo, holy shit.

Dude is rage posting in a thread about a deceased child.

Klosshufvud

This is weird, to monetize loss like that. Doubt he was some minimum wage insurance-less dude in need of money. And lots of tears are being shed for a tragedy that is completely common in poorer countries and not even that uncommon in richer countries.

This is also not video games. Call me heartless I don't care but I don't see why this particular couple deserves the special treatment and funds that millions of others don't get.

They don't need it. Dustin is well taken care of by Colin, but the LSM community insisted on a GoFundMe being created because they wanted to show their support to Dustin and his family in a tangible way.

So he doesn’t need the money, but they just wanted a monetary based way of showing support?

This is weird, to monetize loss like that. Doubt he was some minimum wage insurance-less dude in need of money. And lots of tears are being shed for a tragedy that is completely common in poorer countries and not even that uncommon in richer countries.

This is also not video games. Call me heartless I don't care but I don't see why this particular couple deserves the special treatment and funds that millions of others don't get.

Yeah that’s perhaps a bit less sympathetic than I’d go, but I hear what you’re saying. It seems like most people in favor of the gofundme are American?

Bridges

Okay, I'll do it: you're heartless.

He didn't set up the GoFundMe, his friend/coworker did. I'm not going to donate either but this isn't "monetizing the loss". If you read the OP you'll see the guy's boss even made a post saying that he is giving him infinite PTO until he's ready to come back. There is no attempt to squeeze money out of people here, the community that watches his show was vocally wanting to do something to help out.

Pretty weird to try to handwave this just because it's common in other countries too. People die every day but that doesn't mean nobody should care.

Klosshufvud

Okay, I'll do it: you're heartless.

He didn't set up the GoFundMe, his friend/coworker did. I'm not going to donate either but this isn't "monetizing the loss". If you read the OP you'll see the guy's boss even made a post saying that he is giving him infinite PTO until he's ready to come back. There is no attempt to squeeze money out of people here, the community that watches his show was vocally wanting to do something to help out.

Pretty weird to try to handwave this just because it's common in other countries too. People die every day but that doesn't mean nobody should care.
Ok so he's already shown more privilegie by his boss than what most people get, and is probably insured, and has probably better means to recover from this financially than millions of other Americans. This Gofundme needs to be shown off here because? Your money is better donated to a charity that helps millions of non-privilegied poor people to deal with their medical expenses. He doesn't need this money. If you want to show condolence, there are a million more appropriate ways in doing so that doesn't involve transactions. The real heartless act is assuming every loss is remedied by money.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Yeah that’s perhaps a bit less sympathetic than I’d go, but I hear what you’re saying. It seems like most people in favor of the gofundme are American?
I'm Canadian, as I assume you are as well?

But I understand the absolute fucked up state of health coverage in the US at the moment. Before anyone jumps at me, I acknowledge that healthcare in Canada is also a joke in terms of timely access and in a lot of cases, quality of care.

Having said that, when my daughter was born, we spent a full day and a half in a private room. That first night, so we could sleep, a nurse came and took her from us and placed her in a nursery. We had a public health nurse come check in on us in the first week. I assume it was because it was our first kid.

Between provincial coverage, and coverage through work, it only cost us ~$40.

From the recap of what happened, This person was induced($$), had a C-section($$$$), and because I like to be sure before I run my mouth, I checked if they charge more for this type of birth, and yes - they do($$).

Again, I'm not saying people SHOULD donate to this. I'd encourage everyone to make sure they're taking care of themselves and their loved ones first. But if people can and they want to, there's nothing wrong with this. No matter how fucked up the situation is.

Also, I imagine his close friends and coworkers/boss would know what his financial situation is like. If they thought he didn't need a cent, I doubt they'd set up a gofundme.

Last edited:

Dutchy

Call me heartless I don't care but I don't see why this particular couple deserves the special treatment and funds that millions of others don't get.
If I help you see, would you care a little bit more? Or was your entire post just meant to take your anger out on the internet. Geniune question. Because I asked myself the same thing when I was much younger. Even when good things happened to me. It's a very unhealthy mindset to have and you will only set yourself up for disappointment ✊

Klosshufvud

If I help you see, would you care a little bit more? Or was your entire post just meant to take your anger out on the internet. Geniune question. Because I asked myself the same thing when I was much younger. Even when good things happened to me. It's a very unhealthy mindset to have and you will only set yourself up for disappointment ✊
You're welcome to adress my actual reservations with this act than passive aggressive remarks :)

Dutchy

You're welcome to adress my actual reservations with this act than passive aggressive remarks :)
Sure, no problem. Just PM me if you'd like to have an actual meaningful conversation about this topic. For now I'm leaving the thread as a means not to further derail.

It's just that I don't think you want actual meaningful conversation about this. But hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Such a weird string of comments. . .

For what it's worth, since people are talking about money... and gofundme's, etc.

I went through something similar a few years back. I remember very clearly having to tell my boss what had happened. I remember very clearly how hard it was to tell them. Like, in a very literal, almost Hollywood-like way, I couldn't say the words. They just didn't want to come out of my mouth and when they did, it took a few tries. I also remember asking my boss not to pass a card around at work and that I wanted no office-pool or money. I don't know why I said that, but I'm glad I did cause I didn't want anything but one thing.

Thankfully, I had great health insurance and money wasn't tight or anything, though I know that's not the case for everyone. That said, since money wasn't a pressing issue, if I had gotten a fat stack at that time in my life, I think I would have hated it. I would have let the fund pay for the funeral expenses and then I probably would have withdrawn the rest just to see it burn in my fireplace. Not that I think there's anything wrong with people setting up this gofundme. People around us wanted to do things to help too. No one made a gofundme for us, but a lot of people did other stuff and said a lot of things with the best of intentions. Nothing really helped. That's okay though. No one knew what to do or how to act and that was understandable. Heck, I've been through it and even I don't know what I could do to help cause there's no helping it.

I wish this guy and his wife all the best that I can give. They will be miserable for quite a while until they are not. And even then, they'll still get re-miserable from time to time. I wish them luck.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Can't even imagine how much they are suffering right now.

This also hits a bit closer to home as we're expecting our second in a few months.

This popped into my feed a few days ago and might be informative as it has a cost breakdown at the end:

They were charged 36K USD for a natural birth, and a one night stay in a rather nice looking private room but with health cover, they only had to fork out around 2K USD.

In contrast, if you choose to go public here in Australia it's free, and often the paediatricians, obstetricians, anaesthetists etc are the same ones that perform in private hospitals too (at least in Canberra).

Hohenheim

Very sad to hear this.
Been listening quite a lot to LSM's stuff, and heartbreaking to hear about this after listening to the joy and excitement Dustin had about becoming a father.
I wish him and his wife all the best.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Longtime listener of the show and I really like Dustin on sacred and the other shows.

Really heartbreaking news for him and Holly. Will take a long time to heal from if ever, it may just get easier with time but don’t think you ever really heal from that. They sound like they have a good family and friend support system and that will be what gets them through this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Oh christ I was just listening to then talk about how they where going to miss him when he went away to be a dad for a bit, and how excited he was.

This fucking sucks man.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Because:

It's all incredibly sad, he was obviously so excited and this is one of the worst things that could happen to a couple. Obviously they would trade every dollar for their son to be alive, some of you guys are heartless.
I pay taxes to fund universal healthcare. Go cry to your fellow Americans who vote Republican.

Sleepwalker

Probably the greatest tragedy you could suffer as a human being is the loss of your child. It's just something that isn't meant to happen.

I don't know Dustin as a person or content creator but I hope the best for him and his wife.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My wife had massive stomach pain a few years back and we called the nurse advice line. They said get to the ER immediately. We went to the ER and they put her on an IV, said it was a really bad stomach virus and sent her home in 2 hours. Bill from the hospital was $4.5K. None covered by insurance because we had like a $5K deductible.

Welcome to the wonderful world of heathcare in the US. Glad they have enough to cover any bills and then some and move on without at least that extra bit of stress.

Roufianos

As someone who listens to SS every week, this made me tear up a little. Feel awful for them, what a cruel world.

Top Bottom