• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty doubles down on his 400 million claim...

StueyDuck

So you have no idea
I can say the deals that have been made for just one or two episodes of tv shows have been in the many many millions, I have to be coy with details because i don't want to get a friend in trouble.

but no i don't know the exact price for concord, just like you don't or anyone here does. I do know how much a single scene in a single episode of a big budget tv show was though and the price would blow your socks off.

and it was literally only something like 7 minutes. fair enough it was a very VFX driven scene, but still it was just 7 minutes of render needed for that one episode.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
As much as Jason Schreier is obnoxious, he’s right about this.

As a journalist you’d never run with a story you can’t back up, and so far Colin has only given us the “trust me bro” reach around bullshit.

Colin even says “I’m not a journalist so I can run with this story”, which puts it entirely into doubt.

Yeah, someone may have told Colin it was $400M, and that person could be and very likely is wrong. The people that have access to this sort of information would need to be very high up the executive ladder and it’s highly unlikely that’s who is speaking to Colin to begin with.

And it doesn’t pass the sniff test. A reasonable person can just run some basic math even with ridiculous assumptions in favor of higher costs and get nowhere close to $400M

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I still dont believe $400M. Maybe $200M tops. I dont even think it's that high. But when people bring up how expensive all that mo cap and CGI videos are, then maybe I'll max out at $200M.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
One source...doubles down.

Awkward The Office GIF

The 400m sounds like bullshit and I would have imagined Colin would have spent the time getting another source rather than "trust me bro". Colin, go back and get another fucking source lad.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Also takeaway: he has also done so in the past and has been accurate, so the question becomes if this vetted source would lie just to lie.

He’s also been wrong about things in the past as well. He’s just an ex-journalist that runs a podcast with some industry connections, but people lie all the time

Last edited:

HogIsland

If I was Herman Hulst, and players rejected my $400M budget game for having frumpy blue trans alien characters, I'd at least try swapping in like 4 Marcus Fenix lookalikes before mothballing the thing.

clarky

Gold Member
I can say the deals that have been made for just one or two episodes of tv shows have been in the many many millions, I have to be coy with details because i don't want to get a friend in trouble.

but no i don't know the exact price for concord, just like you don't or anyone here does. I do know how much a single scene in a single episode of a big budget tv show was though and the price would blow your socks off.

and it was literally only something like 7 minutes. fair enough it was a very VFX driven scene, but still it was just 7 minutes of render needed for that one episode.
Even at a couple of million a minute (just for the cgi not actors and sound effects) and say the had 30 mins in the can or ordered, i still have a hard time believing this game cost north of 400millon.

Its an arena shooter with a few maps and what 16 avatars? Shit you could double or triple my guess above and still not arrive at 400 million plus

This studio was tiny(under 20 folks) until a couple of years ago.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
He’s also been wrong about things in the past as well. He’s just an ex-journalist that runs a podcast with some industry connections, but people lie all the time
People need to Google Hulk Hogan lies and they'll quickly find out people talk utter lunacy. Hogan wrestled over 400 days in a single calendar year because he went to Japan a few times and crossed the international date line.

Thabass

This is a five hour podcast, I really don't know how anyone can listen to this for all that time. I know we're just talking about Concord here, but my goodness, it's a 5 hours for a PlayStation podcast is faaaaaar too long. I hope his podcasts aren't always this long.

Roxkis_ii

Look at the length of the credits and draw your own conclusions on who to believe. The Concord simp on the gaming forum with no hard evidence or experience in the games industry or the games journalist who has broken dozens of exclusive news stories over his celebrated 20 year long career.

Is there any hard evidence of it costing 400 million?? I think that's the whole dispute that there aren't any hard evidence on either side.

Personally, I hope Concord is a beacon to show that unattractive characters won't sell games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is a five hour podcast, I really don't know how anyone can listen to this for all that time. I know we're just talking about Concord here, but my goodness, it's a 5 hours for a PlayStation podcast is faaaaaar too long. I hope his podcasts aren't always this long.

They are always at least 3.5 hours. Most are around 4 hours long. But it's extremely easy to click around to the subjects that you care about. The length of his pods have never been an issue.

clarky

Gold Member
Is there any hard evidence of it costing 400 million?? I think that's the whole dispute that there aren't any hard evidence on either side.

Personally, I hope Concord is a beacon to show that unattractive characters won't sell games.
No receipts. Just some dude told another dude it cost a ton, Then that dude told the internet.

You don't need hard evidence to dispute his claims just some common sense.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Driving to work, working, driving home from work. Only in office 2 days a week but I usually cover most of their content in a week, it’s a lot of just shit talking but it’s funny and amusing. The actual news is only a small amount of the podcast.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Next earnings report is Nov.

I dont think gaming companies even get that detailed. Maybe for something huge like Bungie perhaps, but not FW/Concord. So even if Sony brought them up, they just might be vague about like how MS or Sony might do some bullet points and go..... + or - due to reason XYZ without granular numbers.

Did Sony bring up in detailed Helldivers 2 financials? I dont think so.
Yeah, it may not be detailed, but something will be mentioned to investors.

StueyDuck

Even at a couple of million a minute (just for the cgi not actors and sound effects) and say the had 30 mins in the can or ordered, i still have a hard time believing this game cost north of 400millon.

Its an arena shooter with a few maps and what 16 avatars? Shit you could double or triple my guess above and still not arrive at 400 million plus

This studio was tiny(under 20 folks) until a couple of years ago.
to be fair i don't think it's 400 million either, I've said here the source is probably rounding up out of anger/pessimism or disdain, as people do. if the ps5 pro was 680, people would still go pfffft a 700 dollar console I'm out.

but the game is definitely not a little cheapie that can be made in a week with 20 dollars in your pocket and a bag of dreams.

with just the knowledge i have from someone in the VFX industry and the ludicrous costs of it all, i know that it would easily put the game over the 200 mil mark with all that planned rendering.

i personally think it's probably a badly managed projects, there's 8 years of development, a shit ton of outsourcing, many employees both internally and externally to pay, an expensive VFX pipeline which they had planned to support for the games life, and we know they had 3 seasons planned. This definitely comes at the very least close to 300mil. 280 at the lowest i would say.

And again we have no counter evidence or anything. Just a bunch of journos with emotions on twitter.

where is ethan gachs source? the guy has an opinion, apparently he's heard something else, well then spill it buddy.

Last edited:

Kotaro

400 million is probably include all these

- 4 yrs development with 150 employees + a few hundreds more contractors
- cost to purchase studio and IP
- production of special edition controller
- production of one episode of Secret Level for Amazon
- partially finished expansions
- The fact now Sony is on the hook for on-going salary of 170+ employees for foreseeable future until they figure out what to do with them

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
400 million is probably include all these

- 4 yrs development with 150 employees + a few hundreds more contractors
- cost to purchase studio and IP

Colin said acquisition cost wasn’t included

Running the numbers rationally only maxes out at around half the quoted figure even though that’s already using wildly liberal assumptions

Last edited:

Miles708

It probably isn't 400 millions but it is enough of a black hole to make Sony price the Pro with the Concord tax and now put adverts in the dashboard.
They have a lot to recoup to try not lose face in front of shareholders, and it's not going to be pretty at all even for us end users.

What a disaster.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Seriously! I'm a Colin fan, but only dummies or console warriors believe this game cost $400 Million to make.
Seems to me that the console warriors (and the OP which is some mutant GaaS warrior) are the ones bothered by it. I'm not going to go to bat for Colin, the dude has made is bed with this but he has a source. That's something no one else in this thread has. You can call him and the source a liar, but again, you have absolutely nothing to refute his claims besides napkin math.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The fact that people are pointing to games that came out years ago like TLOU2 to claim these costs are “impossible” tells me that they don’t really know what is going on. This is plausible for a mess of a project that Sony believed in and bet heavily on, invested a ton to speed it through development, bought the studio, and had extremely high hopes for.

Last edited:
I like Colin and have been following him for years but I still think his source is bogus. That's not to say he made it up or anything like that, I truly believe he vetted the source and all that, but that doesn't mean that source is still correct, even with inside knowledge. The story just doesn't make sense. I can't see in any way this game was 400 million. I remember playing the beta and thought the game was fairly well polished but it wasn't some high production value or anything like that. Especially comparing it to some other Sony first party AAA games which blows it out of the water both graphically and through animations.

Then you had the whole talk about Sony believing that this was their new "Star wars level IP." And like, c'mon, just need a little common sense here. Sony had such high expectations for this game that they basically showed nothing of this game, expect for the name, until 2 months before it releases? That's just nonsense, Astro bot technically had longer marketing , even if it was only by a couple of weeks. Idk, I more believe in how companies act rather than what sources say. I also couldn't believe a game cost that much that they gave up that fast. They didn't even bother with a f2p model or anything. They literally just gave up and refunded everyone instead of trying to make it work even a little bit.

My guess, the game wasn't cheap, I would think it was definitely around or in the 9 figure range. I would just be shocked if it was even remotely close to 400 mil.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It probably isn't 400 millions but it is enough of a black hole to make Sony price the Pro with the Concord tax and now put adverts in the dashboard.
They have a lot to recoup to try not lose face in front of shareholders, and it's not going to be pretty at all even for us end users.

What a disaster.
Confirmed bug and to be fixed.

Pro would have been that price, regardless.

Life Diff

People either don't listen or intentionally hear what they want to hear. He clarified questions asked, what's scary is Sony purchased this after 200million had already been spent and decided "this will work". Insanity by management and anyone who says "no way they spent 200 million more" they contracted out parts of the game. Contractors if they know you need them will bleed you for insane day rates.

Man's got a patreon he doesn't need the engagement. As he said, he cut out and put the concord part up on x/twitter so there could be no illusions about what he actually said.

Men in boxes thinks you make money on patreon through clicks.

Last edited:

Interfectum

People either don't listen or intentionally hear what they want to hear. He clarified questions asked, what's scary is Sony purchased this after 200million had already been spent and decided "this will work". Insanity by management and anyone who says "no way they spent 200 million more" they contracted out parts of the game. Contractors if they know you need them will bleed you for insane day rates.

Man's got a patreon he doesn't need the engagement. As he said, he cut out and put the concord part up on x/twitter so there could be no illusions about what he actually said.
I'm not even sure why Colin is pursuing this, tbh. He has more to lose than to gain if this ends up blowing up in his face. Especially coming off of the Bloodborne/Bloodborne 2 stuff. He must really believe this source, whoever it is. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though that number sounds absurdly high. He really has no reason to lie and doesn't have a history of it or engagement bait like this.

What is good/bad for him is we'll probably actually never know because Sony would never let a huge number like that set at the feet of one massive failure. They'll massage that money around.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Men in boxes thinks you make money on patreon through clicks.

The $200M figure before Sony got involved is inconsistent with the VC funding ProbablyMonsters received to fund many more titles than just Concord

Interfectum

The $200M figure before Sony got involved is inconsistent with the VC funding ProbablyMonsters received to fund many more titles than just Concord
ProbablyMonsters announced that it has closed its latest round of fundraising. After announcing last September (2021) that it had already raised $200 million, it has now given the final amount: $250 million. LKCM Headwater Investments, which has served on the company's board since 2018, led the round. (Apr 20, 2022)

?

Life Diff

I'm not even sure why Colin is pursuing this, tbh. He has more to lose than to gain if this ends up blowing up in his face. Especially coming off of the Bloodborne/Bloodborne 2 stuff. He must really believe this source, whoever it is. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though that number sounds absurdly high. He really has no reason to lie and doesn't have a history of it or engagement bait like this.
A source came to him and he thought it was an interesting story. I agree tbh, as it shows poor leadership on Sonys side and gives context as to possibly why JR went. Things can change, I wouldn't be surprised if something BB related was in the works maybe the live service side canned it 🤷

Hell even Chris knew about Concord under its codename because some drunk developers got talking to him in a bar.

Men in boxes has a real hate boner for Colin. Listening to Sacred just to hate post on Neogaf is certainly a lifestyle choice.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have no way to conclude otherwise. So until any information comes forth that contradicts what Colin is saying, I will call this the new baseline.

400 million total...probably including the apparent reset Firewalk had.

Top Bottom