• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

LuuKyK

Wow, this game is good!

Also, second level and #11 on the rank. Sorry.

Wario, you don't count. :p

You downloaded and finished it in less than an hour?

Woo - I have $37 on my US account - bought!

What do you mean? I never implied that. o_O

LuuKyK

Ok, what's up with this Danger level. Ugh, it is really difficult, or I suck at this game? (I mean the trophy)

Thought you mean 85% was your rating of the game - or was that your download progress?

It was the download progress, yeah. :p

colt45joe

Banned
looked at first post, got all hyped.. no idea how the game played, i bought it. i guess, i was expecting something like rez.

initially, i dont like it. i dont like the moving around the tube thing, and hoooking enemies..and the music isnt that great.er, some levels have good music. but, after awhile, i guess im starting to like it. there are fun intense grazing/lancing moments.

i dont really understand why so many people are praising this game intensely. just not quite for me i spose. ill play more, and get through the game. maybe my thoughts will change, and i ll love the game. initially though, right now, im not loving it.

eh. beat the game. i dont like this game. o well.

ijed

i dont really understand why so many people are praising this game intensely. just not quite for me i spose. ill play more, and get through the game. maybe my thoughts will change, and i ll love the game. initially though, right now, im not loving it.

Different people like different types of games. And if you get $15 worth of enjoyment out of it then isn't that enough?

I bought out of the love of the concept and the ethos of the developer - and after being bewildered by the vids needing to experience it for myself.

I'm not into the leaderboard chasing like some people are and will be getting most of their replay value from but the trophy chasing reminds me of all those nights trying to shave milliseconds off my times in Wipeout 2097 (Phoenicia park >_<) which I'm looking forward too :)

Duffyside

Banned
As expected, this game looks SOOOO much better actually running on my PS3 and my TV than it did on any online videos.

However, I was not expecting it to SOUND so much better too. Very happy that it isn't as cacophonous as it first appeared it would be.

NJShadow

As expected, this game looks SOOOO much better actually running on my PS3 and my TV than it did on any online videos.

However, I was not expecting it to SOUND so much better too. Very happy that it isn't as cacophonous as it first appeared it would be.

Gotta love the lossless audio. (((d[-_-]b)))

ijed

yeah - just played through the first 8 levels and im blown away by the audio design. sounds great. also i suck at the trophy levels - can see lots of replayability practicing on the normal levels to get better at the trophy levels.

Man

The OP and first page had me laughing and sold me on this game. Will try to remember for when I pick up the PS3 Slim(mer) in September.

PasteyMF

This game is amazing. Go buy it. Now. To me, it feels like a distilled Wipeout without any of the bullshit rubberbanding AI.

Time to go to sleep after playing this for 3 hours straight. Let's see what kind of psychedelic wormhole vortex I can dream up.

Misguided

Banned
Kinda nice having the #1 rank on a level forever (highest possible score + first to get it) - first trophy level if you're wondering!

waypoetic

Banned
Good news (but no suprise really) for all europeans with PS+

"Posted on 17 July, 2012 at 1:25 pm by Ross McGrath
DYAD is not on our release schedule for tomorrow but we’ve confirmed it’ll have a Plus discount a launch.
"

From the EU PS Blog.

NeoRausch

Good news (but no suprise really) for all europeans with PS+

"Posted on 17 July, 2012 at 1:25 pm by Ross McGrath
DYAD is not on our release schedule for tomorrow but we’ve confirmed it’ll have a Plus discount a launch.
"

From the EU PS Blog.

Ah nice! I hope it doesn't take TO LONG to come over.

Played through the 8 main levels yesterday and got 3 stars on all but level 7. This game is insane.

Question about level 7 though: when you see a string of same-colored enemies is it better to just pound the x button to get a bunch of boosts as quickly as possible (can't tell if this helps or even works) or go a little slower with your pair making? It seems like there is something I need to do a little differently if I want to get my times low enough.

Also, it was cool seeing Wario commanding the leaderboards. You da man.

Arcteryx

Anyone else having freezing issues with the trophy for Match Sprint? I get to the 4th lance and then the hud disappears and it goes to a white screen then hard locks :(.

edit: it just shows the level progress bar at the top(0%) and then freezes.

Guess I'll try deleting an re-downloading

Jhriad

Ok, what's up with this Danger level. Ugh, it is really difficult, or I suck at this game? (I mean the trophy)

Heh, I got this on my first retry when I decided to
just hold all the way left on the analog stick the entire time and jam on x as quickly as possible. You actually get pairs really quickly that way.
You won't actually finish the entire level but you'll get enough pairs super fast to get the trophy. Easy as pie.

EDIT: Looks like Arcteryx did it the same way essentially.

Zanosuke

Aww, it seems like I can't add funds to my US-account since I changed my VISA-card. Guess I'll have to wait for the EU release.. : (

Zia

I thought this an interesting article, if not one I totally agree with. Thought I'd make a topic, but figured it would end in grey hair, so:

Life after Dyad: Are indie games all grown up now?

Some writers on games believe that a review should be a pure account of one's own impressions and experiences, devoid of context or comparison. Others feel that points of reference -- like whether a title resembles others in its genre, or whether the experience of playing it resembles what first impressions would suggest -- are essential to gamers wondering whether or not they'll like something.

What's interesting about the Dyad reviews isn't the fact that the writers went into it with preconceptions. At least, that's not interesting to me, since all consumers and critics alike have preconceptions, and examining them can be an interesting, even necessary part of the review process.

It's that the critical reception is peppered with words like "hardcore," references to leaderboards, scoring and mechanics, as if to assuage the worry that a game with such pretty pictures couldn't be "twitch" enough. Critics and audiences now have defined ideas of what they expect from the artistic indie community, and this has interesting implications for the tiny teams of today.

Jhriad

Dyad has convinced me that Skynet has already become self aware and the robot apocalypse will soon begin. It's the only explanation for the robotic precision that leads to some of the leaderboard scores. Wario is simply the first of many. Time to buy a gun.

Arcteryx

Heads up to Shawn: there is a bug/exploit on Match Sprint that allows you to get insane numbers of enemies. I think it's related to the freezing I was experiencing earlier today, but the hud goes all bonkers and then it pops up with "Congratulations! You completed this Trophy level. You LANCED X#(in this case 263173) Enemies with just 4 LANCES." lol

Clunker

I honestly can't play this for more than 20-30 minutes at a go; I have to give my eyes a chance to rest. :p Such a beautiful experience. That Miracles level in the second or third group of levels - the one where you have to make the longest lance possible by riding zip lines before screaming into those huge lines of mines - had me slack-jawed in awe of what was washing over my senses. Amazing. I played it about five times in a row.

I'm leaving levels with two stars now, and a few I barely have one on - but I did place 3rd on one level in the third group (and above Wario, haha!!!).

Bowler

Just posted threads in all of the gaming forums that I am a part of.

getting the word out. Nobody has heard of this.... that will change.

#dyadbroarmy

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love this game. Even though I'm not very good at it, it has the rare ability to still be incredibly fun even when you're not doing well. So far I have convinced 3 friends to buy it and all have been floored. I hope the game does well because it deserves it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My eyes need a break after about an hour. No game has ever done this to me before. KKKKKKKKK just blew my mind. Playing with the PS headphones is fucking great too. I love this game.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but are the leaderboards buggy or something?

If I play a level, get a certain rank, and then retry, it doesn't seem to register my new ranking. Or sometimes it does, but when I go back to check the leaderboard it reverts back to the first ranking.

Here is a hypothetical example because I'm not in front of my PS3 right now to check actual rankings: I play level 1, get ranking of 111, and only 2 stars, so I retry, get 3 stars and ranking 20. Check the leaderboard and it highlights where my new score would be, but doesn't actually put it there. First ranking still shows up. Exit out of the level, do it again and sometimes the new ranking appears, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Arcteryx

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but are the leaderboards buggy or something?

If I play a level, get a certain rank, and then retry, it doesn't seem to register my new ranking. Or sometimes it does, but when I go back to check the leaderboard it reverts back to the first ranking.

Here is a hypothetical example because I'm not in front of my PS3 right now to check actual rankings: I play level 1, get ranking of 111, and only 2 stars, so I retry, get 3 stars and ranking 20. Check the leaderboard and it highlights where my new score would be, but doesn't actually put it there. First ranking still shows up. Exit out of the level, do it again and sometimes the new ranking appears, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I think it's fubar'd at the moment because I've had the exact same things happen. Also, some of the scores on the leaderboard are totally out of order(ex: there are a couple people one one leaderboard with faster times, but they are somehow ranked lower than someone with slower times).

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
All the leaderboard issues, save Level 15's trophy will sort themselves out after 15-20 minutes... don't worry, your scores aren't being lost.

Level 15 trophy.. yeah your scores are being lost =( sorry, I'll fix it.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
Doesn't seem like many people have bought it. The leaderboard for the second tier levels only go up to the mid 400's.

I haven't seen the leaderboards, still out of town. If those numbers are true I hope that's not indicative of sales, especially since that's how many codes I gave out.

Really liking the look of this. I think I'll pay over the odds payday and get a US PSN card so I can play it (in the UK here). I'll have a smoke and trip out for a few hours :D

MrDaravon

A demo would have helped I think.

No kidding. I saw that he just re-tweeted this, and I have no idea why:

mSdP6.jpg

Why are you advertising that the game could have used a demo! Money is uber tight for me right now, if there was a demo I could check out right now I could be convinced but there literally just no way I can blind buy anything right now. Requiring a demo is one of the few things MS gets right about XBL.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got 28 on the leaderboards on my first attempt at Winds of the Dawn That is My Crown
3AQmK.gif

Considering I've only been one starring stages for a while I'm pretty proud of that.

Top Bottom