• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jond76

Banned
After finishing the first mission and meeting with Bezhir, everything opens up. Side missions everywhere. Loving this so far.

Dubz

Jumping with R1 is incredibly dumb. R1 is perfect for the survivor sense, and X should be jump like in every other game on planet Earth.

That being said, I really like the game so far.

Synless

Jumping with R1 is incredibly dumb. R1 is perfect for the survival or sens, and X should be jump like in every other game on planet Earth.

I have hit x so many times to jump so far it's stupid. Shows you just how ingrained most control standards are in our heads.

Jobbs

Banned
I have hit x so many times to jump so far it's stupid. Shows you just how ingrained most control standards are in our heads.

also took me a long time to get used to jumping not being a face button. I kept thinking it's triangle for some reason.

drotahorror

Jumping with R1 is incredibly dumb. R1 is perfect for the survival or sens, and X should be jump like in every other game on planet Earth.

I disagree. R1 as jump leaves you with total control with the right stick.

also took me a long time to get used to jumping not being a face button. I kept thinking it's triangle for some reason.

I keep hitting R1 to attack.

liezryou

Ok i'm stuck at the mission "Pact with Rais". How the F do you climb the second tower all the way? I got pretty high up but now there's literally nothing to climb from here and the box is higher up.

Nope. Bumper-jumper lets you retain control of the camera. It is the superior way to play.

#bumperjumpermasterrace

The Foul

My first impressions on PC

Good
- Runs pretty good on old hardware (2500k, 560ti), lowish settings 1080p 30fps, really can't complain game looks better than decent for 4 year old hardware. Zero bugs or issues so far.
- Co-op worked flawlessly for the hour or so I played with randoms. Way more fun with more people, the parkour element shines if you all take different fancier-than-thou routes to get to the same spot. Co-op combat becomes more viable and enjoyable (double drop kick off a building is as fun to watch as it is to do).
- Movement felt great, feels good to ferret around (especially with upgraded agility, get that perk asap).

Bad
- PC Mic is always on in game (unless disabled in lobby), and there is no push-to-talk option. Whyyyyyyyy? People have speakers and use teamspeak, this makes no sense. If there is a way to turn peoples mics up in game, I couldn't find it, could barely hear the ppl I played with.
- Can't map controller buttons, only 2 preset configs and the face buttons are the same in both. RB is jump, fucking RB, a function you use 95% of the time in this game, with A being locked to spider sense, a function you use maybe 10% of the time... you can change keyboard buttons but not controller? Switching active weapons in menu with a mouse + keyboard is kinda messy.
- Not that much loot, or loot container variety, or anything worth really going out of your way for that I've found so far. Despite the exact same lockpick system as Fallout 3, I don't get that same "looty" feeling when unlocking a hard lock to find yet another bag of coffee and blue pipe. There are blueprints and air drops with cool rare stuff, but that leads me to...

Ugly
- Holy shit, first impressions upon fighting NPC characters are baaad. The variety of zombies are fun to fight, combat in general is visceral and satisfying but the gang banger guys are just awful. Can't see a strategy or finesse to fighting them so far, they group up and avoid 90% of your attacks and I'm left to cheese them doing dropkicks off buildings spending ages outplaying cheap A.I. I upgraded a bunch of combat skills assuming it'd become easier to take the gangers out, but no, they still suck to fight. Maybe I'm missing something or need upgraded weapons I don't know, fuck em.

Overall its pretty good hey.

Erban1

Takes some getting used to, but it really has to be on a shoulder button unless you've got a special way of holding your controller to aim with the right stick and hit x at the same time.

Game is satisfying so far, I need to find some better blueprints to get some decent weapons

Takes some getting used to, but it really has to be on a shoulder button unless you've got a special way of holding your controller to aim with the right stick and hit x at the same time.

Game is satisfying so far, I need to find some better blueprints to get some decent weapons

claw mah dude

DirtyLarry

There's a website you have to go to in order to receive them. I'm mobile at the moment though.

I had this you need to make sure you have linked your account... Quit completely out of the game and then go back in
Yep I already signed up on the website and linked my account a few weeks back, and the site says I am owed 12 dockets and my PSN ID is linked. I just tried quitting the game completely and will see if that kicked it in. Thanks for the replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I played Dead Island for an hour, seemed neat but didn't pull me in. This game looks really awesome though. Is it a better Dead Island game, or a better game in general? Really unsure whether to take the plunge on this one.

Ricker

Jade looks great...she is almost like a tribute to Alyx from HL though lol...

Voice acting is pretty good so far...

So I played Dead Island for an hour, seemed neat but didn't pull me in. This game looks really awesome though. Is it a better Dead Island game, or a better game in general? Really unsure whether to take the plunge on this one.

It's Dead island but with a lot more ''Parkour'' going on,Mirror's Edge kind of...everything is a little more refined of course,like the quests and menu etc...so yeah so far,better Dead Island game but there is no class like in DE but 3 skill trees to help you in choosing how you want to play...

Autofokus

So screen tearing on PS4: do I believe gaffers that say they don't see any or the possibly janky capture cards people could be using when streaming?

I only saw tearing with dozen+ zombies on-screen while triggering 'heavy' effects like explosions, but not recognizable during 'normal play'. Played ~4h, all singleplayer.

Survivor sense...

So dumb. I won't be using that.

I prefer that. It gives you options. So you don't have a million notifications on the screen of what to pick up until you need it and want to find stuff. So while you might think it's dumb, it's a godsend to others. Again, having options is never a bad thing when you have the choice to use it or not.

I prefer that. It gives you options. So you don't have a million notifications on the screen of what to pick up until you need it and want to find stuff. Good option there. So while you might think it's dumb, it's a godsend to others. Again, having options is never a bad thing when you have the choice to use it or not.

Agreed. I was speaking purely for myself. I'd rather explore for supplies without knowing where they are beforehand.

Ricker

I prefer that. It gives you options. So you don't have a million notifications on the screen of what to pick up until you need it and want to find stuff. Good option there. So while you might think it's dumb, it's a godsend to others. Again, having options is never a bad thing when you have the choice to use it or not.

Also useful for getting your bearing on your tracked quest...

Havent noticed any screen tearing on the PS4 after about 2 hours of play...

Camper182

Playing on PS4, 6 hours in so far, it's really fucking fun

and it's also one of the best looking games on the system so far in my opinion !

nOoblet16

If anyone hasn't made a note of it yet then I can confirm that the game runs at an unlocked frame rate on PS4. Although it's not that noticeable.

I have a gut feeling that the gulf between the PC and console version for this game will be quite big compared to what's normal. The SSAO in this game on PS4 version I'd ugly as shit leaving very big dark halos even in bright areas. It's like first to second generation SSAO implementation.

Also the title music is nice.

This game is definitely less janky than Dead Island.

After playing for two hours, it feels solid. It feels like WB gave them enough time and money to polish the game. And this is coming from a guy who really liked Dead Island a lot, despite it's flaws.

The major difference is that DL doesn't give you the option to use the analog stick to do melee attacks, which was a fun option in Dead Island. Given the increased mobility though, I guess it kinda makes sense. Really hasn't bothered me thus far.

How to play Dying Light (Mighty Boot Mode engaged)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBD4vXHzf4
ib1ZrtZZZZjCCp.gif

Any first person game that allows me to kick gets a bonus point from me.

Condemned, Dark Messiah, Shadow Warrior, Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem, etc.

Camper182

Am i the only person who literally gives no shit about screen tearing? i don't even notice it, i dont think in my 15 years of gaming i've ever wanted to use Vsync or something like that

I wish CODAW had it.

Anyway, is there splitscreen co-op and is there a hardcore difficulty (no health regen, no survivor sense, minimal HUD) sort of thing?

No co-op, and only one difficulty it seems.

Game is fun as hell though. People compare it to Dead Island meets Mirror's Edge (which I agree with) but it does feel unique while playing it.

N° 2048

I don't mind paying full price for games. As long as I get a solid 9+ hour experience :p

That price glitch though.

ironcreed

Banned

It's by far better. Same sort of deal, but is higher budget, more polished and has some great new mechanics.

Top Bottom