• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mirror's Edge came out 8 damned years ago, people, god damn...

Barely anyone bought it and even fewer remember it.

Get over the game using alternate jumping buttons than that game. It makes no difference at all.
yikes. lmao.

I'm curious, that's all. Your read on how many people remember Mirror's Edge notwithstanding, I'm just wondering why they picked R1. L1/L2 for jump/slide puts all movement options on your left hand, freeing your right primarily to aim accurately and attack. This made a lot of sense and I thought it was a well-suited control scheme, and I used variations of it in many other games. So I'm wondering what the concept was here; maybe it works flawlessly for this game. That's all... just wondering. What's mapped to the other shoulder buttons? Does R1 feel good as a jump when you get accustomed to it? I don't know these things, so I asked.

Excellent :) my retailer also break street date frequently, sometimes as much as a week. Does that happen on your end? Also
talking about this doesnt breach GAF TOS does it?

I hated Dead Island in a lot of ways - but I've watched plenty of streams of Dying Light and it looks like DL has very much improved on everything I didn't like bout DI. Now I've just got to get through a day at work tomorrow...

Mine gets stuff on par with the rest of the world even if it's delayed here in India, which it is for the physical edition much like every country that isn't the US. Got friends already playing it digitally. Might co-op tomorrow. As someone who has played DI as well, this is a lot more polished.

Dropkicks on the rooftops!
iHzuhcSiKZIT9.gif

Brilliant!

Corpekata

Banned
How is the keyboard and mouse controls? Pc users using controller or kb&m? I always prefer kb&m for fps.

They're good. Most everything is rebindable. Kind of a lot of actions though so might be a slight headache getting everything useful on sane keybinds.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a limit to how much crafting, valuables or weapons you can carry? I don't see it listed anywhere in the inventory screen. As for valuables, should I sell all loot marked as such? Is there any reason to hold onto them?

So are there some weapons that can be repaired indefinitely or all weapons eventually are totally broke and only can be dismantled for the parts?

The Destiny easter egg is hilarious.

You enter a cave near the fishing village docks, and then the text appears ' its is your destiny to loot' . Then zombies keep spawning forever lol

Yea this is the next step it says "I have to ask Yusuf who makes the stuff" and I go on the roof where Yusuf sits (presuming he is the guy who you meet at the beginning of the tower) but I can't talk to him.

Nah, it's someone else. Take a left when you get to the roof. He is sitting under a shack.

jyoung188

They're good. Most everything is rebindable. Kind of a lot of actions though so might be a slight headache getting everything useful on sane keybinds.

Cool, thanks for the reply. My friend got me this game for my bday, it's loaded on my pc at home I'll be checking it out after work. Glad to see the positive response in this thread. It's been a while since I played a big open world game like this so I'm looking forward to playing this coop.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any word on the PC version? not horribly broken or anything?

So if Jump is the shoulder buttons, how does the game feel on Xbox? I have it downloaded but those are the worst thing about the otherwise fantastic controller.

Dropkicks on the rooftops!
iHzuhcSiKZIT9.gif

Something about this doesn't look right.

You're sprinting and picking up momentum, yet when you perform the dropkick, you come to a dead stop in mid-air and the zombie goes flying backwards?

It looks like the momentum should at least carry you over to the next rooftop, even after kicking the zombie. I know I'm just nitpicking here, but physics-wise it doesn't make any sense.

Rafterman

Banned
To all the people claiming that the shoulder button is necessary and better, maybe so, that doesn't change the fact that it still royally sucks. Oh well, it's $20, no big deal, but if I continue to enjoy the game I'll be getting the PC version (just like Mirror's Edge) so I can have free look, movement and a decent jump button all at the same time.

Haxxona

Banned
Something about this doesn't look right.

You're sprinting and picking up momentum, yet when you jump and perform the dropkick, you come to a dead stop in mid-air?

It looks like the momentum should at least carry you over to the next rooftop, even after kicking the zombie. It's like the zombie stops you as though you've kicked a brick wall, yet the zombie itself goes flying. I know I'm just nitpicking here, but physics-wise it doesn't make any sense.
I noticed that too, it doesn't look remotely believable which I dont know if that is the point

Orcastar

This game has flown completely under my radar. Just watched a stream for a while and it looks pretty neat, might have to pi-
One month delay for physical copies in the EU.

What the fuck is this bullshit?

Seriously, what is the justification for this?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aww snap Hawkian! Join my Fireteam sometime :D.
Tell me they don't call them fireteams XD

I was all set to play this on PC (bought a code on Amazon actually...) but the $20 mixup rather ensured I'll be playing this one on PS4, hehe. Definitely be happy to group up.

jesu

This game has flown completely under my radar. Just watched a stream for a while and it looks pretty neat, might have to pi-

What the fuck is this bullshit?

Seriously, what is the justification for this?

We don't know.

The disc version only got released in NA on time.

In case it wasn't already posted, finding EXPcalibur is ridiculously easy:

Get the quest in the tower to find a gun for someone. Track it as your quest and press the button that highlights where it is on the map. Head there and you'll find a rock in the water a bit further off, you need to swim. Climb on the rock and hold down square for about 3 minutes to pick it up.

Where the hell are the reviews? Is this yet another game being sheltered by a ridiculous embargo?

No embargo, but reviewers got their copies yesterday. Supposedly it's a pretty long game, so likely people are marathoning the game and reviews will be popping up in the next few days.

Top Bottom