• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

dubq

I was gonna wait on this but it looks like everyone is having positive experiences.. sooo I picked it up on launch. My undead body is ready.

charsace

So I played Dead Island for an hour, seemed neat but didn't pull me in. This game looks really awesome though. Is it a better Dead Island game, or a better game in general? Really unsure whether to take the plunge on this one.
I Dead Island did not grab me. Playing the tutorial for this and I am way more into it than I was in the 3 to 4 hours I played Dead Island.

ironcreed

Banned
This is what I'm mostly excited about. Reminds me of Hexen in someways or atleast the setting does which is why I can't wait for this game. We need more fantasy games that are overrun by demons and shit.

Yeah, it looks really fun. Sort of Dark Messiah-ish as well with the first person combat. Also with tons of loot.

Oneself

Jump on a shoulder button is perfect, just as perfect as it was in Mirror's Edge.

Also, the combat in Dying Light reminds me of Condemned and it's awesome.

ironcreed

Banned
Jump on a shoulder button is perfect, just as perfect as it was in Mirror's Edge.

Also, the combat in Dying Light reminds me of Condemned and it's awesome.

Yeah, it feels great after playing with it for a bit. The gameplay is super smooth. And, now that you mention it, I get sort of a Condemned vibe as well with combat. An awesome game so far.

antitrop

I thought Dead Island was terrible, but still looking forward to giving this a shot later tonight. The price was right at GameStop

MYeager

Again, how do you decide if you trust a reviewer? You read their reviews on multiple similar games and genres over time. Dying Light is like Dead Island, AC, Mirror's Edge, and Far Cry. I posted as many of those as he has done, and that's a very good way to decide how much weight that this very popular reviewer's opinion may earn from you.

I read the review? Personally I'd have a hard time even judging by previous AC games as my own opinion on the different entries vary wildly and wouldn't really mean much aside from the fact that I've played them and there were parts of those games that I found better than others. If Dying Light is like those games and uses the mechanics I like in a great way, awesome, but it might take the parts I don't like or put the parts I do together like a 3 year old with an 1000 piece puzzle.

You put his snarky tweets above a list of game review scores, that doesn't say much of anything to me. If it helps others that's good I guess, I just don't see how him giving Watchdogs a 9, AC2 a 4.5, and Dead Island a 7 along with two tweets is going to help me glean if Dyling Light is a game I might like.

Symphonia

Banned
So I looked on the Playstation Store and this game has a product page but no price. I did notice there's a 'Premium' version at £60 but that's waaay too much. Anyone know how much the standard will be and how big the download will be?

MUnited83

For you.
I thought Dead Island was terrible, but still looking forward to giving this a shot later tonight. The price was right at GameStop

If you thought Dead Island was terrible I don't think you will like this. The game's design is very very similar to Dead Island. It just has way more polish(not janky as hell like the original DI), pretty good trasversal mechanics and better combat.

SomTervo

Hah, legendary.

My local retailer, who are absolutely amazing, have imported American versions of Dying Light.

Im in the UK and can buy the game at retail tomorrow :)

Now i can trade it in within a few weeks, and relatively have bought it for £25 or so - cheaper than PC. Either that or it'll be good enough to keep forever - in which case full retail is worth it.

Citadel

Glad to her that people are receiving the game fairly well. Although I liked Dead Island, it didn't grab me as well as I thought it would... But I'm really excited to play this. Definitely going to pick it up today after work. (As well as the REmake.. Never actually played that back in the day).

Most likely will go for the Xbone versionm since it's running at 1080/30 (assuming).. Although many people seem to be having PC issues?

aravuus

Yoo where's my goddamn Steam key

Knew I should have just paid the 20e more and actually buy it from Steam :(

Anyway, it seems like the PC version runs pretty well for most people in this thread? I've read some pretty concerning stuff on some other forums, people saying the game runs at 100+ fps in some tower or whatever but drops to ridiculously low twenties when you go outside or something

Hah, legendary.

My local retailer, who are absolutely amazing, have imported American versions of Dying Light.

Im in the UK and can buy the game at retail tomorrow :)

Now i can trade it in within a few weeks, and relatively have bought it for £25 or so - cheaper than PC. Either that or it'll be good enough to keep forever - in which case full retail is worth it.

Same situation here in Mumbai and with my friends in the UAE. Picked up my PS4 copy today. A couple of chapters in. So far, so good.

Jarrod38

Debating on if I should get this game or not. I enjoyed both Dead Island games but at the same time I'm kinda of tired of the zombie games.

SomTervo

Same situation here in Mumbai and with my friends in the UAE. Picked up my PS4 copy today. A couple of chapters in. So far, so good.

Excellent :) my retailer also break street date frequently, sometimes as much as a week. Does that happen on your end? Also
talking about this doesnt breach GAF TOS does it?

I hated Dead Island in a lot of ways - but I've watched plenty of streams of Dying Light and it looks like DL has very much improved on everything I didn't like bout DI. Now I've just got to get through a day at work tomorrow...

Xater

Got this for 20 bucks from Gamestop and it's alright. To be honest I would not have paid more for it. It is a more polished Dead Island, but that's really not blowing my socks off. Also having played Dead Island 2 the combat in that game is just so much better and less clunky.

Oh also this game takes itself way to serious for how dumb the story is.

mmm Dark Messiah vibes

Got this for 20 bucks from Gamestop and it's alright. To be honest I would not have paid more for it. It is a more polished Dead Island, but that's really not blowing my socks off. Also having played Dead Island 2 the combat in that game is just so much better and less clunky.

Oh also this game takes itself way to serious for how dumb the story is.

Oh good to hear, hope it does well for Yager.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Put an hour in and I'm really digging it. Frame rate is stable and I haven't seen a tear yet on ps4.

The parkour works really well.

BahamutPT

Question for those of you who already got past the Voltage side quest:

Are you supposed to sleep until it's night time on the final station? I got there and there's a sleeping bag, but it doesn't let me sleep until it's night. I've even closed the station door :(
Or do I have to wait the clock out? It would seem like the sleeping bag should serve some purpose.

Edit: Nevermind :p Ended up just waiting it out.

Tak3n

Banned
so seems like there is a lot of quitting going on if you play as the zombie, which means you don't get any XP as the zombie if you win...

just to make you aware

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not having jump on X in a game like this is critical; Mirror's Edge pioneered the idea. But that's what I don't get, why R1 and not L1?

angrygnat

A game that crosses Dead Island and Mirrors Edge? Let's see. Two games I don't really like........Kind of disappointing. Oh well. It's already paid for.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Anyone know if its there an option to disable the radar or at least disable the zombies FOV in the radar?

PLEASE

JP

Only played about an hour so far (PS4) but at times I could almost be playing Far Cry 4. From how it feels to how it sounds and looks if I didn't know better I could believe they were developed by the same people or at least were developed using the same engine.

It's not a complaint in anyway as I love Far Cry 4 but it's really surprised me. I'm just wondering if it's it's given anybody else the same feeling?

Ricker

so seems like there is a lot of quitting going on if you play as the zombie, which means you don't get any XP as the zombie if you win...

just to make you aware

Welcome to online with randoms lol...I wont try any multiplayer until I am familiar with the game,might open it for friends only on PS4...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I Dead Island did not grab me. Playing the tutorial for this and I am way more into it than I was in the 3 to 4 hours I played Dead Island.

It's by far better. Same sort of deal, but is higher budget, more polished and has some great new mechanics.

Jade looks great...she is almost like a tribute to Alyx from HL though lol...

Voice acting is pretty good so far...

It's Dead island but with a lot more ''Parkour'' going on,Mirror's Edge kind of...everything is a little more refined of course,like the quests and menu etc...so yeah so far,better Dead Island game but there is no class like in DE but 3 skill trees to help you in choosing how you want to play...

Awesome, thanks y'all, gonna pick this up today!

derExperte

A game that crosses Dead Island and Mirrors Edge? Let's see. Two games I don't really like........Kind of disappointing. Oh well. It's already paid for.

Why would you preorder a game you knew nothing about except that it's an open world zombie game by the dev that already made two open world zombie games which you didn't like?

pa22word

Not having jump on X in a game like this is critical; Mirror's Edge pioneered the idea. But that's what I don't get, why R1 and not L1?

Mirror's Edge came out 8 damned years ago, people, god damn...

Barely anyone bought it and even fewer remember it.

Get over the game using alternate jumping buttons than that game. It makes no difference at all.

Stitch

Gold Member
Some really fast parkour zombies tried to kill me during the day. I thought they would only get fast at night?

Top Bottom