• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

I don't know how reviewers pumped out reviews so quickly. I've been playing none stop since yesterday so I can make an impressions video and I don't even feel like I've got to the meat of the game yet.

I'm surprised reviews are up so soon as well, but maybe they marathoned it.

I want to get my impressions up, but it likely won't be until early next week because it's seemingly a very long game. Perhaps too long.

I like to try to beat just about everything before doing so, which takes time.

SomTervo

So here in the UK, is the ps store the only place I can get the game from?

Rather not pay £55 for this game.

Ask around at local independent retailers (eg not GAME or HMV). They might have imported the game in retail.

My local retailer are great and they imported it from the US for the 28th of January.

So while I paid was the full £55 (not counting what I traded in), next month I can trade it in for Evolve or The Order 1886 and get £35 back

WITHE1982

So here in the UK, is the ps store the only place I can get the game from?

Rather not pay £55 for this game.

Yes. Physical release has been put back to Feb 27th (I believe) so digital is the only way to own it. Not ideal really as I always buy retail but I couldn't wait a month to get into this.

Or buy online from 365 games (I did this for TLOU remastered) http://www.365games.co.uk/ps4-games/dying-light-game-ps4--

Ask around at local independent retailers (eg not GAME or HMV). They might have imported the game in retail.

Good tip.

red731

Just bought it onver at Greenmangaming.
From 50eur to 40eur via -20%voucher there - still slightly more than physical copy, but - "Ain't nobody got time for dat." One month, pff.

Chabbles

I love the sounds from the zombies in this, sounds like the vampires from 30 Days of Night. its the freaky noises that make the night so tense.

I finished the story last night. Clocked in about 15 hours. I did get a fast travel option after i finished the game. When i was in the tower, there's a poster of old town near the merchant. Interacting with the poster lets you fast travel to old town, perhaps there are other posters for other areas elsewhere. Also the story mode percentage is strictly for story mode. It is separate from side missions. Also prepare for a very disappointing final boss fight. Really upsetting considering the setting in which it takes place in. A missed opportunity imo.

Did Parkour really save the game from flopping?

Honestly the open world idea is similar to other games as Far Cry, etc... but the Verticality and Parkour, really, really bring it to another level for me and my friends playing. Simply nothing like it in terms of mobilty in a FPS open world game imo.

Honestly the open world idea is similar to other games as Far Cry, etc... but the Verticality and Parkour, really, really bring it to another level for me and my friends playing. Simply nothing like it in terms of mobilty in a FPS open world game imo.

Does anyone else find that the open world itself is boring, though? It's really lacking in originality and intrigue/interest, unlike Far Cry 4's Kyrat.

Megatron

Did anyone redeem the dockets for pre ordering? The faq says they will be either a rare, exceptional or legendary weapon, and the quality will vary by your level when you get it. I have 3. Is it worth using one now, or should I wait? Do any of these weapons not break? If they dont break, it would make sense to use one now and wait for later in the game to redeem the others.

Did anyone redeem the dockets for pre ordering? The faq says they will be either a rare, exceptional or legendary weapon, and the quality will vary by your level when you get it. I have 3. Is it worth using one now, or should I wait? Do any of these weapons not break? If they dont break, it would make sense to use one now and wait for later in the game.

I would take one early so you have a decent starting weapon and save the other two. The downside is you will get messaged popping up you have dockets to spend.

Does anyone else find that the open world itself is boring, though? It's really lacking in originality and intrigue/interest, unlike Far Cry 4's Kyrat.

No way, unlike Far Crys world, this one felt very much alive. Everything moves, every tree, every cloth, dust and paper moves through the air.

Far Cry tried that but felt very stale, everything seemed a little forced. I liked the game, but Dying Light did it much better.

Edit: it felt alive apart from all the dead people I mean.

FX-GMC

Right. So being upset that you sank 20 hours or so into something and then lose it all is acceptable? This is why game releases are so horrible, nobody tests crap anymore.

Its not throwing a fit, its just being frustrated with how bad game releases are now adays.

If you buy a car and 20 hours later your engine blows, are you going to accept it because mistakes happen that a gasket was incorrectly seated? No your going to ask for a refund.

Shall I keep going on stuff like that? Anything you spend money on that doesnt work like its meant to should be ok with getting a refund. If it makes you feel any better. I called m$ and ended up responding to their email they sent me to confirm the cancellation and I declined it and kept the game.

So Ive got two words for you.............

Regarding the car, I would let the company fix their mistakes. I wouldn't say "It is unacceptable that there was a problem with this car." Stuff happens.

I'm glad you were able to calm down and think rationally.

I've got four words for you and I'm allowed to post them. Have a nice day.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the upgrade to have a chance for repairs not to use one of the repair charges is either broken or im super lucky.

Ebolarama

Banned
No way, unlike Far Crys world, this one felt very much alive. Everything moves, every tree, every cloth, dust and paper moves through the air.

Far Cry tried that but felt very stale, everything seemed a little forced. I liked the game, but Dying Light did it much better.

Edit: it felt alive apart from all the dead people I mean.

I agree with you. Far Cry has a more colorful and "lively" world in that animals roam and there's no post-apocalyptic decay, but Dying Light just feels better. Maybe it's the overused Ubisoft formula that permeates every open-world game they publish (I'm not an Ubi hater but it's kind of silly how they repeat it), but I feel like the encounters make more sense in DL and though it's not overly interactive, the environment feels more destructible and interactive than the pretty yet untouchable world of Far Cry.

you can find ammo. they dont degrade and you cant upgrade them. also you can only have 1 box of each ammo, which sucks because I found a ton of rifle ammo (and a ton of rifles) and had to leave a lot behind, which then despawned

guns sell nicely too. speaking of guns, is there
shotgun ammo in the game, or do you only get the 1 shot?

its dmg its RIDICULOUS (1.7k or something) so I assume its just 1 shot but just checking

my shops sell pistol, rifle, and shotgun ammo. you probably have to progress further in the story/ or higher survival skill, they say quartermaster gives new things/ shops sell new things as survival level goes up

Grisby

Ha, liked the little call out to Call of Juarez.

I might have to unlock the booster skill, seeing how that guy talks about it above.

Landing on cars is also badass.

Chabbles

Zombie shrink for hire. Electroshock group sessions only, MUAHAHAHAAA

Dying_Light_20150130012338.jpg

I enjoy killing bolters.
I sneak up behind them and stealth kill. Neck SNAP. Grab loot. SPRINT SPRINT SPRINT to a safe house before getting murdered

I really like the garbage bags and miscellaneous padding that they put down under some of the bigger jumps, but it can be hard to hit them at times, resulting in frustrating deaths.

The jumping/grabbing aren't perfect in general.

I honestly thought I'd like this more. Maybe it'll get better, though. It's fine as is, but not the great game I was hoping for post-E3.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm disappointed that they seem to be lacking a lot of projectile weapons in general. I'd love a bow and arrow for night missions.
The Elemental Throwing Stars are pretty fantastic IMO. Lots of uses, and just feel like a cool way to kill zombies.
Boring, not in the slightest. Really feels like there's lots of interesting stuff going on and something to get distracted by around every corner. And the day/night cycle and corresponding gameplay changes are pretty sublime, one of the best I've ever seen in a game personally. It is generic though, if that's what you mean, at least so far. It could be anywhere in the world basically.
I really like the garbage bags and miscellaneous padding that they put down under some of the bigger jumps, but it can be hard to hit them at times, resulting in frustrating deaths.

The jumping/grabbing aren't perfect in general.
I sort of disagree, but in the sense that you might be under the wrong impression about how it feels as a result of not having some major upgrades yet. It really becomes extraordinarily smooth. The more I play the more I straight up love the controls. I unlocked forward roll last night and now I can pull off all the ridiculous jumps I was trying and killing myself with in the first couple of hours.

The breakfall spots like garbage bags you mentioned are a great example of what I'm talking about. You say they can be hard to hit and that has caused you frustrating deaths, but I legitimately believe that any death I experience from that is completely my fault at this point.

Becomes amazing when you just know where some of them are and can kind of leap without looking and correct on the way down.
http://zippy.gfycat.com/IdealHatefulDove.webm

I honestly thought I'd like this more. Maybe it'll get better, though. It's fine as is, but not the great game I was hoping for post-E3.
Definitely might just not be for you- for example, I think you mentioned you found Dead Island to be more fun, and that's a game that just did nothing for me at all.

GravyButt

After my bitchfit yesterday I tried that trick they offered. Turns out I was doing it wrong. i got my xp back and my dockets. But lost all my money and inventory and weapons plus outfits and blueprints.

Sucks but oh well. No way of getting that stuff back eh? Sucks because I had some cool weapons and blueprints. Now I have nothing and $0.

BBboy20

I take it's a good game? Been told the PC version didn't suck but some been talking about it stuttering. Watched the Giant Bomb vid, seemed stable on PS4 as well.

Goliath

Actually I am more interested in GAF's opinion of Dying Light. I am curious about the multiplayer. Is the game worth buying? Is the multiplayer fun and lengthy?

I am basically looking for a replacement for online coop gaming because my friends and I are done with Destiny. Would the coop for this game be a good replacement? Any recommendations for a replacement?

bronk

Banned
Played a few hours having a great time. One thing I absolutely do not like is showing the broken bone thing or whatever when u hit the zombies. Its so damn corny and for me takes away from the gore or something.....I dont kno I just hate it.

antitrop

Anybody who got in on the $20 gamestop thing ps4 has your notification with the season pass in it.

I don't even want the Season Pass content, it looks completely worthless. But, sure, if they're just going to give it to me for ripping them off, that's fine, too.

Played a few hours having a great time. One thing I absolutely do not like is showing the broken bone thing or whatever when u hit the zombies. Its so damn corny and for me takes away from the gore or something.....I dont kno I just hate it.
Ya, I don't understand it, either. It's very poorly done. I guess they were trying to go for like the Mortal Kombat X-Ray attacks thing? But it's just bad, yeah.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
After my bitchfit yesterday I tried that trick they offered. Turns out I was doing it wrong. i got my xp back and my dockets. But lost all my money and inventory and weapons plus outfits and blueprints.

Sucks but oh well. No way of getting that stuff back eh? Sucks because I had some cool weapons and blueprints. Now I have nothing and $0.

I thought you got a refund. How are you still playing?

Oh well. Got a refund. Fuck em.

alterno69

Banned
I might get this today but i want to know how the coop works first, is the entire game playable in coop or is it a separate game mode like in Uncharted games? Cause if that's the case i won't buy it.

I don't even want the Season Pass content, it looks completely worthless. But, sure, if they're just going to give it to me for ripping them off, that's fine, too.

Ya, I don't understand it, either. It's very poorly done. I guess they were trying to go for like the Mortal Kombat X-Ray attacks thing? But it's just bad, yeah.

do you have be a zombie mode unlocked? i don't see it on mine

I finished the story last night. Clocked in about 15 hours. I did get a fast travel option after i finished the game. When i was in the tower, there's a poster of old town near the merchant. Interacting with the poster lets you fast travel to old town, perhaps there are other posters for other areas elsewhere. Also the story mode percentage is strictly for story mode. It is separate from side missions. Also prepare for a very disappointing final boss fight. Really upsetting considering the setting in which it takes place in. A missed opportunity imo.

Does your story progress counter say 100%? Or does it also incorporate side missions? I'm just curious, because it seems like mine only goes up a percentage or two after most missions.

Elitist1945

Started playing the other day, and once you get a hang of the controls/parkour mechanics, its really really smooth and fun.

It also has a really kick ass theme.

Top Bottom