• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Ominym

Banned

You can find and buy plenty of ammo, and ammo is far more plentiful in this than Dead Island. Guns don't appear to degrade, however, using them out in the open tends to cause a bunch of stronger infected to spawn. Runners, for example. I haven't even attempted to use them at night.

In all honesty, I do keep a double barreled shotgun on me at all times. But I primarily use if for shooting humans, not zombies.

dogflaps

Banned
I love the way the zombies actually feel dangerous in this game. Even just trying to take on 3 at once can quickly go awry. That's why I feel the levelling up and finding better weapons is a double edged sword. Some of the abilities you can unlock are great and very useful such as the improved stamina for running longer etc, but I'm becoming less and less threatened by the zombies. I hope I don't end up too over powered by the end.

pahamrick

You can find and buy plenty of ammo, and ammo is far more plentiful in this than Dead Island. Guns don't appear to degrade, however, using them out in the open tends to cause a bunch of stronger infected to spawn. Runners, for example. I haven't even attempted to use them at night.

In all honesty, I do keep a double barreled shotgun on me at all times. But I primarily use if for shooting humans, not zombies.

I'm disappointed that they seem to be lacking a lot of projectile weapons in general. I'd love a bow and arrow for night missions.

pahamrick

how can you auto save correctly.. do you have to complete a mission to trigger it?

Supposedly talking to someone triggers a save. I didn't run into any problems until the game hard locked right after sleeping, so quitting/exiting/crashing after sleeping definitely is one of the triggers from the sounds of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you can find ammo. they dont degrade and you cant upgrade them. also you can only have 1 box of each ammo, which sucks because I found a ton of rifle ammo (and a ton of rifles) and had to leave a lot behind, which then despawned

guns sell nicely too. speaking of guns, is there
shotgun ammo in the game, or do you only get the 1 shot?

its dmg its RIDICULOUS (1.7k or something) so I assume its just 1 shot but just checking

pahamrick

you can find ammo. they dont degrade and you cant upgrade them. also you can only have 1 box of each ammo, which sucks because I found a ton of rifle ammo (and a ton of rifles) and had to leave a lot behind, which then despawned

guns sell nicely too. speaking of guns, is there
shotgun ammo in the game, or do you only get the 1 shot?

its dmg its RIDICULOUS (1.7k or something) so I assume its just 1 shot but just checking

I keep seeing reports of weapons
with even more ridiculous damage. Someone on REDDIT claimed they found a Katana at 2500k+ dmg unmodded when he was in the high 20s in level.
So I don't see why there wouldn't be a few more rounds somewhere.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I keep seeing reports of weapons
with even more ridiculous damage. Someone on REDDIT claimed they found a Katana at 2500k+ dmg unmodded when he was in the high 20s in level.
So I don't see why there wouldn't be a few more rounds somewhere.

ah ok. it was so much more than my current weapons (like even my guns only do about 230 for example) that I thought it was something unqiue / special

I almost missed it to, it was from SIDEQUEST SPOILER
the body of Jeff the crazy military guy that sends you on the gas quest. after his place blows up you can go to the wreckage and get the gun from the floor near him

pahamrick

ah ok. it was so much more than my current weapons (like even my guns only do about 230 for example) that I thought it was something unqiue / special

the body of Jeff the crazy military guy that sends you on the gas quest. after his place blows up you can go to the wreckage and get the gun from the floor near him

I know there's that sword
EXPcalibur that does 300+ damage
and another bladed weapon
that does 600+ damage
and both of those can be gotten pretty early. Not much durability and you can't repair them, though.

because of the save glitch did you lose all of your preorder dockets and outfits if you started a new game?

I used 1 docket, and now on a new game I only have 5 available instead of 6. Haven't checked outfits.

GravyButt

I know there's that sword
EXPcalibur that does 300+ damage
and another bladed weapon
that does 600+ damage
and both of those can be gotten pretty early. Not much durability and you can't repair them, though.

I used 1 docket, and now on a new game I only have 5 available instead of 6. Haven't checked outfits.

Alright well thats not bad then at least you didnt lose them all. If you get a chance can you check? Thanks!

Doing one of the sidequests "Gunslinger" I chose the quest, then show on map and it points to a location near the sea. The marker is pointed on some rocks but I can't find the pistol. Anyone have success with this, or is it some kind of glitch?

There's a yellow shack to the South East by the water that has a sign outside that says something like 'take anything you want, I dont need it anymore" and inside you can find a pistol.

This video shows it (though he doesn't put his waypoint on the right shack, the one you want is a little bit to the North-West all by itself on the map.

Ominym

Banned
This is going to sound really stupid, but I had been playing the game not having unlocked boosters (specifically the night vision one) for some time. I am a fucking idiot for not having unlocked this sooner, completely changes the night game play.

I will say, however, I'm kind of bummed that I did because before I hauled ass home when sundown was coming. I never went out at night, simply wasn't worth the risk unless there was a drop near by. Now? Now I run around at night and am extremely confident in my abilities. I feel like the game lost a lot of atmosphere with the inclusion of the boosters. There was a great sense of dread as you realized you stayed out too late somewhere and you hear your watch beep followed by howls from volatiles leaving their dens.

I'm disappointed that they seem to be lacking a lot of projectile weapons in general. I'd love a bow and arrow for night missions.

I'd honestly be completely surprised if their wasn't one. If there isn't? Massive missed opportunity.

pahamrick

I'd honestly be completely surprised if their wasn't one. If there isn't? Massive missed opportunity.

Judging from this post on Reddit, Cross Bows / Bows / Snipers and some other weapons were cut. Obviously reddit is not the end all, be all as far as confirmation goes but I've yet to see anyone anywhere post about finding a bow.

BeeDog

Thanks guys! Not too afraid to use my guns for now then. Already managed to try a Rifle vs. some random human goons, and I didn't really do any better than with my melee weapons, lulz.

I'm at the 7.5 hours mark, and it says that I've completed 20% of the story. So far, I like it but not a lot. It's decent, but not as good as I'd hoped after liking it at E3. It feels uninspired in a lot of ways, and doesn't have much to really write home about as far as unique or spectacular aspects go.

It's fine, pretty fun and a good January release, but it's not a memorable game thus far. It's also frustratingly cheap at times with its difficulty spikes. I also keep seeing those damned exploding assholes, not registering who they are and trying to knife them, so I lose survivor points. It sucks, because I want to rank up in that and would rather lose money.

Anyways, I have some questions. Help would be appreciated.

1) Does the story completion percentage count only main missions like it should? Or side missions, too?

2) Is there any form of fast travel?

3) How far am I? (
I just broke into the school, got the C4 and went back to the tower to talk to the kid
.)

pahamrick

I'm at the 7.5 hours mark, and it says that I've completed 20% of the story. So far, I like it but not a lot. It's decent, but not as good as I'd hoped after liking it at E3. It feels uninspired in a lot of ways, and doesn't have much to really write home about as far as unique or spectacular aspects go.

It's fine, pretty fun and a good January release, but it's not a memorable game thus far. It's also frustratingly cheap at times with its difficulty spikes. I also keep seeing those damned exploding assholes, not registering who they are and trying to knife them, so I lose survivor points. It sucks, because I want to rank up in that and would rather lose money.

Anyways, I have some questions. Help would be appreciated.

1) Does the story completion percentage count only main missions like it should? Or side missions, too? Not sure.

2) Is there any form of fast travel? Nope

3) How far am I? (
I just broke into the school, got the C4 and went back to the tower to talk to the kid
.)Again, not sure. But you're not too far in I don't think. Also, be sure to back up your save. You're coming up on a part that has seemingly caused the game to crash for a lot of people, and screw up their save.

Edited in. Wee.

Haunted

This game feels a lot like the recent Far Cry games.

I feel like Dead island had more idiosyncrasies and wasn't as accessible... but it had more of a personality to it.

That said, kicking zombies into shallow water is still fun. :p

This game feels a lot like the recent Far Cry games.

I feel like Dead island had more idiosyncrasies and wasn't as accessible... but it had more of a personality to it.

That said, kicking zombies into shallow water is still fun. :p

Dead Island was more fun. Good, mindless fun. Maybe not as technically great (debatable considering this one's PC issues and save issue), but still.

pahamrick

Thanks

I've never backed up a save, but may have to do so. I know that LIVE and PSN sync your saves online, so maybe corrupt saves could be deleted on the console then downloaded from the network?

Not sure, to be honest. You should be able to back it up to a USB hard drive or flash drive though. I'm going to be doing so from now on, whenever I get the motivation to restart the game.

Agreed. Getting the Grappling Hook fundamentally changes the flow of the game. Opens up a lot of new movement possibilities. I got it tonight while still in the slums. Only 15% done with story, have just been knocking out sidequests and going crazy during the nights. You can rack up a ton of survivor points at nights just by being outside of a safe house, and sprinting to air drops.

Sadly I don't even think most reviewers got that far to even experience that aspect. Some surely didn't even talk about it. Oh well, this game has been a blast through and through. I'd even call it one of my favorite zombie games ever now. Dark, serious, silly at times, with some insane parkour and mobility.

There's a yellow shack to the South East by the water that has a sign outside that says something like 'take anything you want, I dont need it anymore" and inside you can find a pistol.

This video shows it (though he doesn't put his waypoint on the right shack, the one you want is a little bit to the North-West all by itself on the map.

I've actually been to that shack a few times, remember the dead policeman sitting there. Thanks for the reply.

So far, I'd say this is a solid 6-7/10. To me, that's around fair, as I rank using my Canadian grading system (50s = D, 60s = C, 80-100 = A)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Friends and I are still having trouble with co-op... all these connection errors.

Is this a common issue with the game? Is it like,,, wait for a fix from the dev side, or should we be looking for something to fix on our side? It seems to happen when we have more than two people at a time. We can each play with one of the others no issue. But if we all join the same game, it's errors. Errors everywhere.

Friends and I are still having trouble with co-op... all these connection errors.

Is this a common issue with the game? Is it like,,, wait for a fix from the dev side, or should we be looking for something to fix on our side? It seems to happen when we have more than two people at a time. We can each play with one of the others no issue. But if we all join the same game, it's errors. Errors everywhere.

I received an error notice the first time I tried, but then it connected properly a couple of seconds later.

That said, I ended up deciding to turn matchmaking off, because I want to beat most of it myself. I'm not much of a social gamer, as I prefer to go it alone and find talking distracting. That and randoms who don't help.

I'll try co-op before I finish it so I've experienced it for review.

On PC or console?

Console wise, no issues 11 hours in.

My friend and I are having the exact same issue with error ce-34878-0. I see it being brought up occasionally here, and there's a thread about it on the official Techland forums.http://forum.techland.pl/topic/2473-dying-light-ps4-crash-on-multiplayer/

pahamrick

Can't bring myself to restart single player yet so figured I'd try be the zombie mode. First three games everyone just ran around inside the safe zone until I left. Next game they sat inside a building with only one entrance and just took turns suing their uv lights at the entrance.

So much for that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My friend and I are having the exact same issue with error ce-34878-0. I see it being brought up occasionally here, and there's a thread about it on the official Techland forums.http://forum.techland.pl/topic/2473-dying-light-ps4-crash-on-multiplayer/

I'm wondering if it's like AC:Unity and an issue on the dev side... which they eventually fixed.

You could kind of get around it by putting the PS4 in DMZ but that isn't a good solution imo. Can't really even test if that will work here though, since one friend cannot do that (ISP wont allow it) and the other doesn't really know how, or want to know how (lol) so idk.

Ill check out the official thread, but those are rarely helpful. I don;t think most devs even read their official forums. Especially when there's game errors or whatever.

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but can anyone confirm with me after SPOILER (Post 50% completion)
Rupert and the childrens story arc
if you can SPOILER (Post 50% completion)
attach suppressors to firearms like he suggests to Rupert
?

Just say yes you can or no you cant to avoid spoilers for those who havent got that far yet.

Thanks in advance.

Skulldead

I have a simple question here ? Does the game have any difficulty scaling other then new type of zombies when he story progress ? Do leveling skill make all the enemy stronger ?

Thank you in advance.

FX-GMC

Ya 20 hours is nothing not counting time on their companion app.

I pay for a product to work. If its a bug that halts gameplay or resets it then it should of been caught.

not going to entertain your fits comment since clearly your a child.

What is clear, is that some people realize mistakes happen and can handle it without throwing a fit. You're not in this category of people.

Have some cheese.

Vladmiris

I cannot find that. Is there something special I need to do?

LogicStep

I love the way the zombies actually feel dangerous in this game. Even just trying to take on 3 at once can quickly go awry. That's why I feel the levelling up and finding better weapons is a double edged sword. Some of the abilities you can unlock are great and very useful such as the improved stamina for running longer etc, but I'm becoming less and less threatened by the zombies. I hope I don't end up too over powered by the end.

Can someone that has beaten the game or is far along comment on this? Does the game lose it's sense of danger as you level up and get stronger? I was going to hold off from buying but reading this thread has pushed me over so I will be getting it tonight.

SomTervo

If the game was single-player only, I would expect a hell of a lot more from the story. Maybe some cutscenes that are worth watching or none at all. Having to mash Circle through all the inane dialogue is a chore, especially when brevity is not a trait anyone in this game possesses.

Frankly I'm enjoying the story in this far more than I enjoyed the story in Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, or Shadow of Mordor. Which I thought were all painfully lacking. I even sold FC4 off at about 50% story completion. There's literally nothing to keep you going with that game. You can't trade a decent plot for eccentric (and superficial) characters. The Yogi side missions... Jesus christ. At least in Dying Light there are several factions at play who all interlock and interact in interesting ways – and it's genuinely engaging to see who'll come out top and how they will develop. Even if, yes, a lot of the dialogue is shite.

Dying Light's protagonist isn't as awful as everyone makes him out to be, despite some very poor writing (specifically in the loading screen blurbs). He shows pretty sound principles and morality and is well written whenever he's being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. I like the dynamic that he's also basically a double agent for the GRE, and I LOVE that there are no arbitrary moral choices disguised as game mechanics. Fuck that shit.

Events develop nicely (and I'm not even at the second map) and some of the side quests are excellent, reminding me a lot of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Even ignoring the story of the side quests, some of the level design is fucking sublime. The 'Gassed Out' quest or whatever it's called is amazing, when the pipelines burst and you have to deal with Virals while working out how to turn all the pipes off (genuine emergent level design and objectives in there.) Or the one where you run errands for a crazy guy, and there's emergent level design where you have to climb on the underside of a bridge to reach your objective (and the game doesn't signpost this AT ALL, it's up to you to work it out). There are little puzzles and exploration moments like this all the time, and I don't think I've played a game which does it so well in an open world context before.

GravyButt

What is clear, is that some people realize mistakes happen and can handle it without throwing a fit. You're not in this category of people.

Have some cheese.

Right. So being upset that you sank 20 hours or so into something and then lose it all is acceptable? This is why game releases are so horrible, nobody tests crap anymore.

Its not throwing a fit, its just being frustrated with how bad game releases are now adays.

If you buy a car and 20 hours later your engine blows, are you going to accept it because mistakes happen that a gasket was incorrectly seated? No your going to ask for a refund.

Shall I keep going on stuff like that? Anything you spend money on that doesnt work like its meant to should be ok with getting a refund. If it makes you feel any better. I called m$ and ended up responding to their email they sent me to confirm the cancellation and I declined it and kept the game.

So Ive got two words for you.............

Anung

Un Rama
I don't know how reviewers pumped out reviews so quickly. I've been playing none stop since yesterday so I can make an impressions video and I don't even feel like I've got to the meat of the game yet.

Top Bottom