• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Zeliard

This game is pretty rad so far. The mobility is a big attraction and I'm finding it a lot of fun just moving around the environment, which is always a good sign in an open-world game. Relative to a lot of games touting parkour, freerunning around here actually benefits from some level of precision and planning, so it remains engaging.

As someone who never played the Dead Island games, Dying Light also doesn't feel particularly derivative despite the tired zombie apocalypse scenario and the way it fairly liberally borrows elements from other games. It manages to feel fresh despite it all because, well, we don't exactly have a deluge of first-person parkour-driven melee-heavy splatter fests on the store shelves.

And man, the melee combat. It reminds me - again as someone largely unfamiliar with Dead Island - of some great hybrid of Condemned and Dark Messiah. Every thwack with a blunt weapon feels appropriately meaty, and everything reacts physically in fun ways, zombies stumbling into each other, tripping over each other, comically falling off buildings, lighting each other on fire, etc. And you can instigate all of this stuff, kneecapping zombies to have them fall and trip others, jump-kicking a zombie into another, staggering or dropping both. Combat never really feels preordained; so far the physical reactions have always combined to create something neat even when your only weapon is a rusty pipe.

And your character is given a tremendous in-game physical presence in both combat and parkour. I think Techland pulled that off even better than Ubi's Far Cry 2 and 3, both of which do first-person physical presence quite well. On PC it can be strikingly beautiful to look at as well, at least after turning off chromatic aberration and the film grain effect.

I can't say the storyline nor characters are particularly interesting at all so far, but the free-form sandbox nature of the gameplay helps a lot in overcoming that. I'm still early on so I don't know how my opinion may evolve over the course of the game, and whether it risks just eventually becoming repetitive, but for now it's a good time.

antitrop

I can't say the storyline nor characters are particularly interesting at all so far, but the free-form sandbox nature of the gameplay helps a lot in overcoming that. I'm still early on so I don't know how my opinion may evolve over the course of the game, and whether it risks just eventually becoming repetitive, but for now it's a good time.

I can't believe it, but after 23 hours with the game, myself, I've found that it just keeps getting better and better. Not the storyline, but the gameplay.

Zeliard

I can't believe it, but after 23 hours with the game, myself, I've found that it just keeps getting better and better. Not the storyline, but the gameplay.

Only thing is, perhaps from too much Titanfall and Mirror's Edge play, I find myself vaguely annoyed that I can't horizontally wall-run on the sides of buildings. :p

6 hours in

5%

Loving it so far. For the sidemission Voltage,
do you have to do it at night, or is it just better to do it then? Also, does he want me to do the whole thing at night, or just the final part?

Doing what I always do, sticking with mediocre weapons while keeping the good stuff in reserve, never using it. Wish you could spend a load of money upgrading a weapon so it never breaks, make it a one-time use item perhaps.

Do you ever get to a stage where you can fight a load of Volatiles at once?

Sprinting dropkick to the face, rebar to the head when they're down. Beautiful. Kind of wish there were special moves for the weapon type like in Condemned.

antitrop

Only thing is, perhaps from too much Titanfall and Mirror's Edge play, I find myself vaguely annoyed that I can't horizontally wall-run on the sides of buildings. :p
By time you get to the second zone, you won't need to. The amount of maneuverability options and tricks available makes the split-second decision making process of sprinting around the town exhilarating as fuck.

It's a game where you really have to stay on your toes, mentally, and be ready to process what's coming out you with only a moment to react. The speed of the game and the complexity of the controls can be a lot to process sometimes, at least for me, in the late-late game. But it's fun, a whole lot of good fun. It just keeps getting better in that way as you progress through the skill trees.

The second area of the game is actually really great, it feels meaningfully different from the first. Techland did good here, I'm actually kind of surprised. I have done nothing but play it over the last three days straight. I'm around Level 20 in all of my skill trees and making my way to the lasts few story missions, while cleaning up as many side quests as is reasonable.

Most of my initial complaints still remain as I close in on the end, like poor story, uninteresting and forgettable characters, annoying lack of a good sense of humor, and the ho-hum, unmemorable, point A to B mission structure. But it has held my interest for a hell of a lot longer than I expected it to, and for that I respect it.

And the soundtrack is kickin'

Corpekata

Banned
6 hours in

5%

Loving it so far. For the sidemission Voltage,
do you have to do it at night, or is it just better to do it then? Also, does he want me to do the whole thing at night, or just the final part?

Doing what I always do, sticking with mediocre weapons while keeping the good stuff in reserve, never using it. Wish you could spend a load of money upgrading a weapon so it never breaks, make it a one-time use item perhaps.

Sprinting dropkick to the face, rebar to the head when they're down. Beautiful. Kind of wish there were special moves for the weapon type like in Condemned.

Just the final part needs to be done at night.

I suggest using your best stuff, as you'll find better when that stuff breaks. If not, use a rebar to tide you over until then. (is how I play, but this game is open enough that you can play however you want)

I think your weapons get stronger and their hp stays mainly the same.

some skills unlock special moves. 4 of them, ground charge up and air charge up, for one handed and two handed.

Just the final part needs to be done at night.

Cheers :)

I suggest using your best stuff, as you'll find better when that stuff breaks. If not, use a rebar to tide you over until then. (is how I play, but this game is open enough that you can play however you want)

I blow through the rebar after about 5 minutes since its so fun to use :p

Is there a quick way to use a medikit before being down to 26 health?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This game is pretty rad so far. The mobility is a big attraction and I'm finding it a lot of fun just moving around the environment, which is always a good sign in an open-world game. Relative to a lot of games touting parkour, freerunning around here actually benefits from some level of precision and planning, so it remains engaging.
definitely, and I approve so much of the fact that you can level it up by doing it, even without doing quests or any combat.
And man, the melee combat. It reminds me - again as someone largely unfamiliar with Dead Island - of some great hybrid of Condemned and Dark Messiah. Every thwack with a blunt weapon feels appropriately meaty, and everything reacts physically in fun ways, zombies stumbling into each other, tripping over each other, comically falling off buildings, lighting each other on fire, etc. And you can instigate all of this stuff, kneecapping zombies to have them fall and trip others, jump-kicking a zombie into another, staggering or dropping both. Combat never really feels preordained; so far the physical reactions have always combined to create something neat even when your only weapon is a rusty pipe.
This is funny, I keep hearing how awesome it is, but I'm totally avoiding it. Eventually I'll check it out. At first it was unintentional, now I just want to see how far I can make it without relying on it at all. I wind up resolving tricky situations with this kind of thing a lot:
http://fat.gfycat.com/AthleticMadeupCapybara.webm

Goons are phenomenal at killing themselves. I definitely can't fight volatiles yet, but if they see me at all I consider it a failure.

Only thing is, my current playstyle revolves around "Blade" parts a lot and they only seem to be sold one at a time. Any other reliable sources of them than shops?

the omission of strict wall-running is jarring at first, but ultimately there are so many maneuverability, traversal and agility options that it would be a little on the OP side.

It doesn't seem like it at first but Crane sort of kicks the shit out of Faith in terms of getting around.

down on d-pad is always med kit. I've used some at max-1 health a lot :(

Bloody hell, so obvious

Must have been at full health when doing the routine 'press every button on the controller to see what it does rather than looking at the configuration' :p

The lockpicking's a little easy imo, unless it goes to Very Hard at some point. Reckon it'd be cool if the harder ones made noise, and you could look around for zombies while you do it

SomTervo

Know your limits. Only fight if there are one or two Zs challenging you. Any more than that and you need to use equipment- bombs, molotovs, etc.

I find blades the most useful weapon type.

Build up a 'kick reflex'. The instant you see a zombie within arms reach you should be hitting that bumper. This becomes a genuine lifesaver later in the game

Keep trashing weapons which are weaker whenever you pick up better ones. The game will throw and infinite supply at you from various boxes which always respawn.

Edit: dont worry about running away whenever you need to. there's no shame in survival.

Use throwables and explosives. If you lure a bunch of Zs to a spot with a firecracker then Molotov them, you can power-level Power quite effectively.

Avoid fighting humans.

Everything I've said slowly becomes moot as you get more skills and become more powerful. Eventually you'll be cutting swathes through hordes of Zs and mutilating human douchebags with almost sickening efficacy

Karak

Anyone else not able to see or join up in co-op after the tutorial? A large group of us from east to west coast can't quick join, can't do coop.

Edit: on Xbox Live.

Anyone got combat tips? I'm level 5 power and kind of struggling..

You can find one of those barricades with spikes on em. Just sit on top of it and attract zombies over. Take a hit them, and watch em stumble around into the spikes for instant kill.

Or just fight around spikes. Kick doesn't cost stamina.

SomTervo

Trap bombs are AMAZING - but i haven't tried car bomb so don't have any balance

On the Demolisher - i found just getting him to hit into stuff then working away at his back panel did the trick. Plus throwing explosives under his feet while he's running (there are gas cans on top of the containers).

Glad you managed it anyway

Chabbles

dying_light_zombie_by_chabbles-d8g26mc.gif

Showshank

I have 5 quests in my log that just need to be turned in, anyone interested in doing the Polyamory trophy (complete 5 quests with a party of 4 people)?

squadr0n

Anyone find out what the outfits in game do? I know the basic and Dlc outfits are just cosmetic, but are there hard to find ones that are upgraded with better armor or such findable in the game world? Jw, not sure if anyone has actually had time to find any of these yet but stll curious.

I also really like the rarer weapons found in game. I love that in these types of games. The EXCalibur is awesome and such a great find that most people would never find if it weren't for the internet. Im sure there are alot of these but they dont seem as popular as in games like Skyrim. Hopefully time will prove me wrong though. Im not looking for an advantage, this game is hard enough during the day as it is. Just looking for some easter egg fun to discover.

Dajanksta

Banned
Had no idea it rains in this game. Started pouring out of Jo where lol. This game is really detailed by the way. Love all the Easter eggs. So many.

Top Bottom