• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Nokterian

The daytime volatiles will sometimes have snatches of human speech, mostly pleading when you attack them. It's a little unsettling, but then again you bash open the heads of 100% human goons working for Rais, so...

Ah does ones yeah now i know there also very scary during the day.

Can you just spam the quartermaster with supplies by skipping ahead days? Could I just keep skipping to night then to day and just load up on medkits?

If you can get to the other side of the bridge, after the part after the bridge is broken. There's an emergency hospital there that's practically left unlooted as well as police gear.

You can get up to 50 medical kits in one run as well as some good weapons if you can figure out how.

i just get my medkits from yellow vans, I never find any herbs (and I do have that recipe, im doing all the sidequests)

It shows the herbs on the map. Each pocket gets you 14-22 Medkits. I usually stay above 40 Medkits at all times now.

Edit: You might need to unlock Boosters before the show on the map but I'm not sure.

I love the way levelling works btw so far

If you want to get powerful and efficient, you have to do everything, parkour, special combat moves, looting, crafting, side missions, can't avoid every enemy, big incentive to play at night

Also love the way you can avoid combat to the extent that you can extensively scout a building or Safe Zone and figure out a plan of attack, or decide that you're not up to it.

Volatiles are terrifying from my one experience of them, definitely not equipped to fight them yet, maybe one at a time. They don't seem to be slowed by wasit-high water, which scuppered my escape attempt :p

Honestly, from what I've played, I like it more than any of last year's releases. Hope it doesn't follow Shadow of Mordor in being great at the start, and then massive flaws in its design becoming clear.

Dommel

How do I check the time in the game? Is there a clock or do I have to do the old "look at the sun" thing?

I love the fact that that's what I actually do when I'm running around doing missions. Quickly look at the sun to see if I can make it back on time or do I have time for another mission.

I'm 16 hours in and only at 22% of the story and absolutely loving it.

Mista

Banned
Honestly the open world idea is similar to other games as Far Cry, etc... but the Verticality and Parkour, really, really bring it to another level for me and my friends playing. Simply nothing like it in terms of mobilty in a FPS open world game imo.

Thats a yes then. Is it even playable solo?

Is there anyway to get this, on PS4, for less than £55?, £55 is a bonkers price

You'd have to import a copy for physical.

I bought it from the US store, let me get the link to the thread telling you how to do it, came to £40 and works perfectly

Can't find the thread, here's instructions though

HOW TO BUY GAMES OFF US PSN STORE EASILY

1) sign up to Amazon.com.

2) when it says delivery address and shit, sign up to Borderlinx (free and will make amazon think you live in the US)

3) when you've signed up to both sites, you can head back to amazon and purchase a $50 PSN card, this will provide a code for you to use on the US PSN store.

4) now head over to the PSN store on your PS4 (must be US account!) and redeem the code.

thenexus6

Is there anyway to get this, on PS4, for less than £55?, £55 is a bonkers price

I looked on the PSN store earlier and its absolutely pathetic.

£55 for the game
£8 for Be the Zombie
£16 for season pass

The game is on Amazon UK and you get all of that for £44.. (obviously not shipping until 27th though) but still ....

danowat

Banned
You'd have to import a copy for physical.

I bought it from the US store, let me get the link to the thread telling you how to do it, came to £40 and works perfectly

Can't find the thread, here's instructions though

HOW TO BUY GAMES OFF US PSN STORE EASILY

1) sign up to Amazon.com.

2) when it says delivery address and shit, sign up to Borderlinx (free and will make amazon think you live in the US)

3) when you've signed up to both sites, you can head back to amazon and purchase a $50 PSN card, this will provide a code for you to use on the US PSN store.

4) now head over to the PSN store on your PS4 (must be US account!) and redeem the code.

So you can't play it on your UK account?

Afro

Game is fun as hell. Love how the parkour is pretty much skill-based and if you fall or fuck it was your fault 99% of the time either from judging a jump poorly or not finding proper angles. Have only fallen to my death once and it was obviously my fault.

Never played any of the Dead Island games, but I'm not seeing to much of this "techland jank" that everyone is moaning about. At least 6 hours in on PC. Freerunning at 60fps is fluid as hell. Having tons of fun doing side quests and leveling.

Only thing I'm confused about is night time. I know you gain skill points/XP quicker, but am I just supposed to run around while avoiding those Volatile and wait for dawn? Or should I just sleep in my safe house?

Klyka

Banned
Game is fun as hell. Love how the parkour is pretty much skill-based and if you fall or fuck it was your fault 99% of the time either from judging a jump poorly or not finding proper angles. Have only fallen to my death once and it was obviously my fault.

Never played any of the Dead Island games, but I'm not seeing to much of this "techland jank" that everyone is moaning about. At least 6 hours in on PC. Freerunning at 60fps is fluid as hell. Having tons of fun doing side quests and leveling.

Only thing I'm confused about is night time. I know you gain skill points/XP quicker, but am I just supposed to run around while avoiding those Volatile and wait for dawn? Or should I just sleep in my rest house?

When it's night and I want some points I just go to the nearest volatile and get a chase going.
Then i run around the block a few times with them behind me and go for a safe zone. Rinse repeat.
Then at the end of the night you get a big fat "night survivived" bonus.

Afro

When it's night and I want some points I just go to the nearest volatile and get a chase going.
Then i run around the block a few times with them behind me and go for a safe zone. Rinse repeat.

Perfect, that's what I thought.

Can you end the night by sleeping, or do you have to wait?

Afro

Can you end the night by sleeping, or do you have to wait?

Think that's what the sleeping bags/beds are for in your safe house. Never lets me use one during the day.

Love how you can view a little preview clip of a skill before you spend a point on it. Nice.

red731

I just stumbled into something shitty:

PSA: Techland now hates modders and will abuse the DMCA to stop them@reddit by fireundubh

Here is the grain removal mod if you want to try it - http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?errno=378&quickkey=ixk60sx7jdc3aiy&origin=download
oh, you can't

reddit link to grain removal mod - lots of interesting DMCA

And damn, I am having fun with this game disregarding these *shitty practices.

*depending on how you look at it...we bought the game...but the game is theirs (this age, right?)

aravuus

PSA: Techland now hates modders and will abuse the DMCA to stop them@reddit by fireundubh

Here is the grain removal mod if you want to try it - http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?errno=378&quickkey=ixk60sx7jdc3aiy&origin=download
oh, you can't

*depending on how you look at it...we bought the game...but the game is theirs (this age, right?)

The fuck is wrong with these people

Afro

2 quick questions.

- When my weapon breaks and I can't repair it anymore, is it completely useless or is there some type of item and or vendor I get later on that magically fixes it? Should I just sell them?

- Also, the weapons are color coded. I'm assuming it's just like Destiny where purple is the most rare? What is the order of rarity?

Appreciate it again.

2 quick questions.

- When my weapon breaks and I can't repair it anymore, is it completely useless or is there some type of item and or vendor I get later on that magically fixes it? Should I just sell them?

- Also, the weapons are color coded. I'm assuming it's just like Destiny where purple is the most rare? What is the order of rarity?

Appreciate it again.

Orange
Purple
Blue
Green
White

Don't worry about losing weapons. The only way to get "repairs" back is a late game random encounter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
grappling hook aquired

edit: fuuuuuuuuuu sidequest to get a bunch of coffee, and I sold so much of it :(

Nokterian

oh, you can't

Oh for fucks sake pathetic techland..pathetic. Ehm there fighting against MODDERS..fans of the game to make it better not piracy there tackling what people fixed like Dead Island.

BahamutPT

I have 5 quests in my log that just need to be turned in, anyone interested in doing the Polyamory trophy (complete 5 quests with a party of 4 people)?

Quick question about this: Does the completion go towards all 4 people (meaning all 4 get the trophy if just one of them turns the quests in)? Or only the person who turns them in unlocks it?
Have yet to get into co-op, so I'm not sure how it works.

On a sidenote: finally managed to complete part 3 of the Dying Lunch challenge (30 headshots)!

c0Zm1c

oh, you can't

This warrants its own thread I think. Unbelievable move by Techland.

Has anyone beaten the leg breaking challenge? Are there any tips aside from "turn off auto aim and get lucky"?

Between my character doing overhead swings when I'm staring at the ground, automatically looking up mid swing when a zombie lunges at me so I hit the head, and not having enough zombies around, I'm having a hell of a time. Got 24 once, but ran out of time when the final five zombies I killed all went down to head smashes while I was looking at their feet.

Starting to think no one at Techland actually bothered to play the challenges they set up. Or perhaps they were difficulty tuned by the QA team after logging thousands of hours on the game.

Dommel

Think that's what the sleeping bags/beds are for in your safe house. Never lets me use one during the day.

Love how you can view a little preview clip of a skill before you spend a point on it. Nice.

You can use beds during the day to wait for the night to start.

CryptiK

oh, you can't

New thread that disgusting shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these story missions after
Rais kidnaps the doctor and you go in guns blazing to save him were fun, the gun gameplay was a nice change of pace
. And now the story is talking about another part of the city so I guess thats the second map.

But first, to finish this sidequestline for the prick twins, last part popped up now. The twins crack me up

edit: also as expected, story progress % starts to jump quite fast, as usual. im at 38% now when I was 15% earlier before the aformentioned quests I just did. Thats not a stab at the game, every game does that where the first few quests barely fill you % making it look like the game will be 100 hours long :p

im at 20 hours right now with 38% story and every sidequests ive found done (about 30 now). I havent done any challenge

BahamutPT

Has anyone beaten the leg breaking challenge? Are there any tips aside from "turn off auto aim and get lucky"?

Between my character doing overhead swings when I'm staring at the ground, automatically looking up mid swing when a zombie lunges at me so I hit the head, and not having enough zombies around, I'm having a hell of a time. Got 24 once, but ran out of time when the final five zombies I killed all went down to head smashes while I was looking at their feet.

Starting to think no one at Techland actually bothered to play the challenges they set up. Or perhaps they were difficulty tuned by the QA team after logging thousands of hours on the game.

Finished it yesterday, took me a while. I was crouched, and constantly moving back while swinging at the same time. It was the best way to not have him target the head. Auto-aim off, of course.
I believe the game targets the head when they are charging and are about to grab you, but when you swing a fraction of a second before you're actually grabbed. I noticed sometimes the "Instant release" promped appeared *while* I was hitting them. Walking back crouched while swinging the bat was my attempt to counter the charging attack :p

derExperte

these story missions after
Rais kidnaps the doctor and you go in guns blazing to save him were fun, the gun gameplay was a nice change of pace

Looks like I'm exactly where you are now but I didn't like that part at all, it's clear the game was made with bashing zombies heads in mind and not shooting dudes with guns. Was glad when that was over.

And 12hrs in with less than 40% story completion while barely doing any sidequests makes me wonder if the end is rushed. Or will it really take another 15hrs?

Rhaknar

Looks like I'm exactly where you are now but I didn't like that part at all, it's clear the game was made with bashing zombies heads in mind and not shooting dudes with guns. Was glad when that was over.

I think the gunplay works fine /shrug. and im mostly using headshots, although there was so much ammo in that part I could have easily sprayed and prayed

Finished it yesterday, took me a while. I was crouched, and constantly moving back while swinging at the same time. It was the best way to not have him target the head. Auto-aim off, of course.
I believe the game targets the head when they are charging and are about to grab you, but when you swing a fraction of a second before you're actually grabbed. I noticed sometimes the "Instant release" promped appeared *while* I was hitting them. Walking back crouched while swinging the bat was my attempt to counter the charging attack :p

Totally forgot you could attack while crouched. I was doing the backpedaling, but maybe crouching will be the extra bit I need. I'll give that a try, thanks!

AngerdX

OMG, had my first thunderstorm roll in during night when i was at the coastline doing some rock climbing, the look and sound of it combined with the regular night atmoshpere had me basicly just spend the night at a ledge taking it all in.

Night sure is my favorite time hehe

aravuus

Got invaded for the first time and.. Eh, it was kind of stupid and not really fun at all. I love the fact that more games are starting to incorporate this invasion kind of PvP multiplayer, but I still feel that the Souls games are the only ones where it actually works. Still, neat idea.

Also, are the super zombies that come out at night killable at all? Tried cheesing a couple of them near a safehouse but one took over 20 throwing stars without dying. Or do they perhaps regenerate health every time you enter a safe area?

AngerdX

Got invaded for the first time and.. Eh, it was kind of stupid and not really fun at all. I love the fact that more games are starting to incorporate this invasion kind of PvP multiplayer, but I still feel that the Souls games are the only ones where it actually works. Still, neat idea.

Also, are the super zombies that come out at night killable at all? Tried cheesing a couple of them near a safehouse but one took over 20 throwing stars without dying. Or do they perhaps regenerate health every time you enter a safe area?

They are killable for me it takes clever use of traps uv light and wack a mole heh

Ooccoo

oh, you can't

Not surprising for a dev that decided (or Warner, who knows) to lock Be The Zombie behind pre-orders. But people will buy it like hot cakes because they don't care. Another reason why gaming giants like EA get away with shitty games all the time. They know gamers will buy anything if it has generic content.

antitrop

oh, you can't

Techland gonna Techland. They make good games, sometimes, but I certainly don't respect them.

Top Bottom