• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

dying_light_zombie_by_chabbles-d8g26mc.gif

The best part is if they slap you while they're twirling around you'll take some damage.

Did I miss a tutorial or something, I cant seem to find any way to sort weapons and inventory.

You can't sort sadly. Not really anyway, other than pressing square to change between melee, thrown, available. Wish I could sort between strongest/weakest so I know which ones to get rid of.

antitrop

Still interested to see how Dead Island 2 shakes out compared to this, especially since it's from some of my favorite developers. They got stiff competition.

You can't sort sadly. Not really anyway, other than pressing square to change between melee, thrown, available. Wish I could sort between strongest/weakest so I know which ones to get rid of.

Oh, didnt know you could quick switch with square, neat. Thats my main reason why I want to sort my weapons and throwables, hopefully Techland adds sort in a future update. Use my weaker weapons for normal zombies and the stronger ones for those super zombies.

Can somebody tell me if this game has the same head bobbing that Dead Island has? I really want to get this but the Dead Island games made me want to puke with how much movement there was.

Dahbomb

How do I check the time in the game? Is there a clock or do I have to do the old "look at the sun" thing?
Menu, map - Time should be on the right. Your character also has a watch and if you do some action he will bring his left hand forward and you can glimpse the time from there

alterno69

Banned
Just completed the prologue, waiting for a friend to finish before i continue cause we plan to play this coop.

So far i'm really liking it, even the story is really interesting so far, i already had a WTF moment at the end of the prologue.

This should be amazing once my friend is done with the prologue.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I love that the zombie bodies still have physics when they're dead, and that they collide with just about everything. Nothing I enjoy more than looting a container that has a dead body on top of it.

J.T

Banned
Just beat it. Took almost exactly 25 hours. That's including almost all the side quest as well. Only have two left, finding light gas and finding painkillers & syringe. End up with 19 survival, 17 agility, and 16 power.

Lol at the main quest. I mean SERIOUSLY like every main quest, Crane has a battle with the virus that leaves you weak and limits you ability. Fucking hate that. Another thing I hate is when you in close proximity of your objective the marker disappears. Add hours to my gameplay. Besides that everything was great.

Oneself

Just played coop (for the first time) for a few hours and just as with everything else in this game; it's an awesome surprise. Lockpicking while friends are clearing out zombies, looting houses and stores, securing safe zones... It's all so much fun!

AngerdX

Wow this sucks a bit, just loaded back in and most of my weapons are gone but not all, still got my materials and money, sigh this one is just wierd. :/

Ohh also if any want to co op, i´ll be on most of the day today so feel free to add me, PSN: AengerdX

impact

Banned
Still interested to see how Dead Island 2 shakes out compared to this, especially since it's from some of my favorite developers. They got stiff competition.

Honestly if there's no parkour I see no point in buying it. Dying Light is what Dead Island should have been. Plus Spec Ops had some terrible gameplay.

Teknoman

Honestly if there's no parkour I see no point in buying it. Dying Light is what Dead Island should have been. Plus Spec Ops had some terrible gameplay.

Unless they really dial up the combat mechanics for Dead Island 2... I mean that seemed to be the real draw from the first game. That and the tropical setting.

You know what hasnt been done yet? Desert zombies. I mean actual sand dunes and so on.

At 69% story completion and I'm at the point where I can hold my own against several volatiles at night. I actually had a massive battle on a roof that lasted all night because they kept coming. UV and flares help a ton.
Really fun stuff

Flunkie

Banned
Unless they really dial up the combat mechanics for Dead Island 2... I mean that seemed to be the real draw from the first game. That and the tropical setting.

You know what hasnt been done yet? Desert zombies. I mean actual sand dunes and so on.
Plants vs Zombies disagrees :)
Ra_zombie1.png

FeiRR

Banned
When you're at a shop and selling, they appear sorted by power. Should help.

Getting air drops at night is a lot of fun and XP. Do it even when you're still low level, just be careful.

M.W.

Can you just spam the quartermaster with supplies by skipping ahead days? Could I just keep skipping to night then to day and just load up on medkits?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
16 hours in, 24 sidequests finished, 4 story quests finished >_>

well at least I have no more sidequests for now so time to go back to the story, im still only 15% done with the story :p

also, tip on a sidequest. the sidequest to get the
bulbs from the bridge at night...doesnt need to be done at night at all (which makes sense and it annoyed me they wanted you to do at night...bulbs dont magically just work at night damn it lol)

Dr.Acula

Banned
16 hours in, 24 sidequests finished, 4 story quests finished >_>

well at least I have no more sidequests for now so time to go back to the story, im still only 15% done with the story :p

also, tip on a sidequest. the sidequest to get the
bulbs from the bridge at night...doesnt need to be done at night at all (which makes sense and it annoyed me they wanted you to do at night...bulbs dont magically just work at night damn it lol)

The logic was that the bulbs were on a timer, and you had to wait until night for them to turn on so you could get the correct ones. But your char could prolly carry them all anyway.

Nokterian

Those zombies that actually talk are creepy man.

What wait? I have not hear this yet...talking zombies? I have played a lot of games but to me this game is pretty scary at night when you get the last 2 or 3 warnings prior when getting dark and then your watch goes beeping hearing those volatiles when the sun goes under is pretty scary to me.

I love the parkour it's like mirror's edge and that has been a longtime for a new game with a good first person parkour also the combat i love it. It feels meaty also making the weapons and seeing them die is so much fun.

Said it before in this thread the music has that 80's synthwave feel to it like your in a John Carpenter or George A Romero horror movie it's beautiful.

If Jim did not have his own idea of 1-10, or metacritic normalised scores, the games meta rating would match its 8.1 user rating :( a shame really because a lot of sales are driven by these meta type combined scores.

As metacritic gets more reviews the Jim score will look more and more out there but right now its got a huge influence.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What wait? I have not hear this yet...talking zombies? I have played a lot of games but to me this game is pretty scary at night when you get the last 2 or 3 warnings prior when getting dark and then your watch goes beeping hearing those volatiles when the sun goes under is pretty scary to me.

I love the parkour it's like mirror's edge and that has been a longtime for a new game with a good first person parkour also the combat i love it. It feels meaty also making the weapons and seeing them die is so much fun.

Said it before in this thread the music has that 80's synthwave feel to it like your in a John Carpenter or George A Romero horror movie it's beautiful.

the fast ones that get attracted by sound are supposed to be just recently turned, and they talk. ive seen ladies cower and pled not to hurt them after a big hit...and then they pounce you lol

edit: this quote out of dying light's context would sound...bad >_>

FeiRR

Banned
The logic was that the bulbs were on a timer, and you had to wait until night for them to turn on so you could get the correct ones. But your char could prolly carry them all anyway.
You can get there during the day and wait. There's a safe zone up on the bridge (quite difficult to get up there though). After you get the bulbs, just jump into the water. You get a trophy for that as a bonus.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What wait? I have not hear this yet...talking zombies?

The daytime volatiles will sometimes have snatches of human speech, mostly pleading when you attack them. It's a little unsettling, but then again you bash open the heads of 100% human goons working for Rais, so...

teokrazia

Amazing.
The damage system of the game can give some true gems.

But what really makes the difference for me is that the enemies bodies are actual 'physics entities'. Hit/kick/thrown a zombie and you'll see its body push back/block/crush/make fall the others in many ways.

In addition of some very funny scenes, it adds depth and 'emergent value' to the combat. And in a game where crowd control is vital it makes alot of difference.

It's something that happens in alot of others games, since Stone Age, but it's also the kind of subtle things that noways alot of AAA developers don't care about.

In Dead Island wasn't there, zombies swarm at you without basically colliding each other.
I'm glad that Techland implemented it.

Rhaknar

You should just go do the Gas Mask Man quest. In one of the huts you search for the quest you get the Natural Medkit Blueprint.3 herbs for 2 Medkits. It's a Gamechanger.

i just get my medkits from yellow vans, I never find any herbs (and I do have that recipe, im doing all the sidequests)

Top Bottom