• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when you go to the second map, is that a point of no return thing, or can you come back to the first? I still have the challenges and shit in the first part

edit: nvm I went anyway fuck it. second map is a big change, damn o_O
seems a lot more vertical

Be the Zombie is broken for me too it seems.

Out of 30 games 3 connected and they were all 1v1. Other matches would have voice chat, I could hear the other players speaking, but would still error out. Stupid.

I'm looking for some UK gaffers to collect loot and pop zombies with.

None of my friends are playing this, and I've been online once on a 1v1 invasion and got rekt.

TheFatMan

So I'm right at the beginning of the game where you have to
pickup the first supply drop

I decided to go look around and tried to take a safe house and got my ass kicked.

The problem I am having, is now my life is really low (25%) and none of the safe houses I have unlocked will let me rest. It just says, Can not Rest, when I hover over a bed.

Kind of pissing me off, why can't I rest?

Can you get into a situation where you can't do one of the sidequests, aside from glitches?

Want to get 5 ready to cash in for the trophy, but not sure how many I can have open at my point in the game.

Spinluck

Be the Zombie is broken for me too it seems.

Out of 30 games 3 connected and they were all 1v1. Other matches would have voice chat, I could hear the other players speaking, but would still error out. Stupid.

It's terrible and they need to patch it. But get in a match with even 2 decent human players and good luck winning without getting lucky as shit. I just went against a team where a guy was killing me with one hit. What the fuck? 3v1 and they get a one hit kill?

Get the fuck outta here. Very often does the Hunter become the hunted.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm right at the beginning of the game where you have to
pickup the first supply drop

I decided to go look around and tried to take a safe house and got my ass kicked.

The problem I am having, is now my life is really low (25%) and none of the safe houses I have unlocked will let me rest. It just says, Can not Rest, when I hover over a bed.

Kind of pissing me off, why can't I rest?
Uh, hm... just use a medkit?

It could be because of how early you are in the game. The day-night cycle hasn't started yet at the point you are.

Vuze

Absolute love this kind of painting/graffiti, almost fell for this one :D

iZ4AFOSlAT3GX.png

Really enjoying the game so far!

Btw Trophy/Achievement Hunters there are now 2 confirmed bugged trophies/achievements.

Complete all Quarantine Zones
Collect all Text Collectables

1 probably bugged.

Capture all Safe Zones

1 verdict still pending, untill we have lists to compare.

Complete all Side Quests.

Still not sure what's causing them to screw up. Not good.

BahamutPT

So.. I'm trying to leave 5 sidequests to turn in so I can get the Polyamory trophy.
I had both the Cease and Desist and Assault and Batteries quests active.
The latter was ready to turn in and I've almost completed C&D, so
Erol has now been evac'd (I'm leaving the last step, talking to Karim, for later). Did he take Tolga and the other guy with him?! I must have missed someone mentioning they were family.

The Assault and Batteries quest is now marked as completed, but I'm 100% sure I didn't talk to them :/

when you go to the second map, is that a point of no return thing, or can you come back to the first? I still have the challenges and shit in the first part

edit: nvm I went anyway fuck it. second map is a big change, damn o_O
seems a lot more vertical
Yeah, you can get back to the first map through the hub of the second map or something like that.

The second map is so much better than the first by the way.

I dont like the night mechanic. I always just sleep until the next day.

It's not that bad. It changes the gameplay into being more Metal Gear Solidish. If you get the Camo perk from uh, the Survival tree? I think, it makes it a bit better.(I dunno if volatiles can sense you while you're Camoed).

Which I actually tried out yesterday. Body had an option of square or X, I pressed X, rub dead juice all over me, and I'm walking outside where about 3 ferals showed up among other zombies. They're all standing around kinda looking at me, and I'm like.."Oh shit". I'm making my way out but zombies keep coming in front of me blocking my way. And then the camo wears off. And then I fucking book it with 3 ferals right behind me. It was intense at shit.

A detail I love, is that when you're running and one of the zombie lunges for you or you get through a group, your character actually reacts to it-He might stumble, or push them away. It's pretty awesome that he has his own agency in a situation like getting through a crowd and he's reacting to the zombies around him. It adds to the game.

derExperte

Every time after starting the game and then loading my last checkpoint my dude screams 'HOLY SHIT' for no reason at all. Am I alone with that? Kinda funny actually.

It's terrible and they need to patch it. But get in a match with even 2 decent human players and good luck winning without getting lucky as shit. I just went against a team where a guy was killing me with one hit. What the fuck? 3v1 and they get a one hit kill?

Get the fuck outta here. Very often does the Hunter become the hunted.

Yeah, I knew Day 1 dupeing would ruin the mode. The ground pound is useless when they can kill you in 1-2 hits.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally fired this up, and I'm enjoying it so far. Unfortunately I did fall through the roof of a hangar like building during the first real mission and had no means of escape from what I could see.
Am I blind or is there no way to reload a checkpoint?

Also is the day/night cycle active during a mission? Seemed like it was growing dark and I had this feeling of dread being a wimpy level 2.

Haunted

Hiding key movement upgrades like the grappling hook so deep into the skill tree is a failure in game design.

I like Old Town much more than the Slums. Not only because of the more interesting environment to parkour, but also because there are enough human hostiles in the area to prompt some solid AI vs AI battles. Watching a fully armed patrol fight off a bunch of volatiles I led right into their midst during nighttime was pretty fun.

-Deimos

Hiding key movement upgrades like the grappling hook so deep into the skill tree is a failure in game design.

I like Old Town much more than the Slums. Not only because of the more interesting environment to parkour, but also because there are enough human hostiles in the area to prompt some solid AI vs AI battles. Watching a fully armed patrol fight off a bunch of volatiles I led right into their midst during nighttime was pretty fun.

You don't have to go through the entire tree to get to the grappling hook. Once you do a specific mission, it'll become available even if you don't have an adjacent upgrade. Plus the hook kind of breaks the game.

Spinluck

Yeah, I knew Day 1 dupeing would ruin the mode. The ground pound is useless when they can kill you in 1-2 hits.

The UVlight has ridiculous range as well.

As if your 1-2 approach options needed more crippling. They can also dodge your tackle.

Anyones best is getting really good with the spits which are incredibly easy to dodge unless you stick em'.

Melchiah

So, I've thought about getting the game when its price is halved, and I'd like to know if it's worth a purchase for someone who liked Dead Island? What I mean is, that I enjoyed its relatively carefree approach, because it made the game fun to play. It seems to me DL has gone into a different direction, and I suspect the nighttime chases might ruin it for me as I'm not a big fan of run & hide horror.

antitrop

So, I've thought about getting the game when its price is halved, and I'd like to know if it's worth a purchase for someone who liked Dead Island? What I mean is, that I enjoyed its relatively carefree approach, because it made the game fun to play. It seems to me DL has gone into a different direction, and I suspect the nighttime chases might ruin it for me as I'm not a big fan of run & hide horror.
If you liked Dead Island even a little bit, this is a must buy. I fucking hated Dead Island and I think this game is damn good.

The nighttime chases are mostly optional, unless you're doing a specific mission that has to be done during the night. Otherwise, you can just sleep until the morning, or carry a bunch of Flares with you to drop at your feet when you're under chase.

I have to say i really like the game. Yes the story is not good but this game just feels good to play. The jumping and motion feels right and is not as brainless as in AC, the fighting feels good and satisfying - the mechanics are just fun and i quite like the atmo in this game. Also the sound is nice and took me by surprise.

I wished the game would be more bluish and not mostly yellow/orange/brown but beside that i have a really good time with it.

BahamutPT

Looking for 3 people to quickly unlock the Polyamory trophy on PS4. (I guess it unlocks for everyone even if I'm the one "completing" the quests?)
Already got 5 quests ready to go.

No mic required (since I currently don't have mine either ^^) - just need to deliver one quest in a Safe House and then off to the tower for the other 4 (nearby). Not doing other co-op trophies, for now at least :p

Melchiah

If you liked Dead Island even a little bit, this is a must buy. I fucking hated Dead Island and I think this game is damn good.

The nighttime chases are mostly optional, unless you're doing a specific mission that has to be done during the night. Otherwise, you can just sleep until the morning, or carry a bunch of Flares with you to drop at your feet when you're under chase.

Well, that's exactly why I'm not sure if I'd like DL. I really liked Dead Island, its main problems were the tedious sidequests and long length, not the gameplay itself. If they've changed what I think made Dead Island good, I don't think I'd enjoy playing it.

It's good to hear you can avoid most of the nightime chases though.

antitrop

Well, that's exactly why I'm not sure if I'd like DL. I really liked Dead Island, its main problems were the tedious sidequests and long length, not the gameplay itself. If they've changed what I think made Dead Island good, I don't think I'd enjoy playing it.

It's good to hear you can avoid most of the nightime chases though.

Well, the sidequests are pretty much about the weakest part of the game, so yeah. But the gameplay is so fun, to me, that I don't even mind, too much. All you really need is an excuse to fuck around with the sandbox and fetch quests do an adequate enough job of it.

Melchiah

Well, the sidequests are pretty much about the weakest part of the game, so yeah. But the gameplay is so fun, to me, that I don't even mind, too much. All you really need is an excuse to fuck around with the sandbox and fetch quests do an adequate enough job of it.

So the combat, weapon damage and duration are essentially the same, and you can still kick and whack them even in groups?

antitrop

So the combat, weapon damage and duration are essentially the same, and you can still kick and whack them even in groups?

No, the combat is far, far more complex than Dead Island. Or at least as much as I could stand to play of that game.

Weapon damage is about the same, but you can repair your weapons out in the field now.

Kicking and whacking does sound about right for a majority of the gameplay, yes. Until you get a 2-handed sword and can run into a group of zombies for a 360 whirlwind of ultimate death.

Melchiah

No, the combat is far, far more complex than Dead Island. Or at least as much as I could stand to play of that game.

Weapon damage is about the same, but you can repair your weapons out in the field now.

Kicking and whacking does sound about right for a majority of the gameplay, yes. Until you get a 2-handed sword and can run into a group of zombies for a 360 whirlwind of ultimate death.

That sounds very good. I read somewhere, that the weapons are less durable in DL, but hopefully that's not true. I think I just might get the game when the price is right. Can't afford it right now, as I'm spending 140€ for The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne special editions.

antitrop

Every time after starting the game and then loading my last checkpoint my dude screams 'HOLY SHIT' for no reason at all. Am I alone with that? Kinda funny actually.
Ya. It bothered me at first, but I've grown to appreciate the inexplicable Tourette syndrome.

That sounds very good. I read somewhere, that the weapons are less durable in DL, but hopefully that's not true. I think I just might get the game when the price is right. Can't afford it right now, as I'm spending 140€ for The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne special editions.

I feel like by time the weapon you're currently using is about to come down to its last repair, you're already picking up weapons all over the place that are better than it. There's a good curve.

Melchiah

I feel like by time the weapon you're currently using is about to come down to its last repair, you're already picking up weapons all over the place that are better than it. There's a good curve.

And you can upgrade them, and have perks via levelling up that increase their duration like in DI?

I can't believe after getting the full game for just $20, they decided to throw in the Season Pass too!

THANK YOU GAMESTOP!

........ AND THANK YOU NEOGAF!

antitrop

And you can upgrade them, and have perks via levelling up that increase their duration like in DI?

You can upgrade them with elemental effects, as well as equip them with "gems" that permanently increase stats (including Durability) for the life of the weapon.

And there is a skill tree upgrade that gives you a high percentage chance to not use up one of the weapon's repair points upon repairing.

Top Bottom