• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof, Charleston Church Shooting Suspect, to Face Death Penalty: Prosecutors

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% against the Death Penalty, no half-measures, if and or buts on the matter, and that's no gonna change. It's such a strange mentality, to have someone in your custody for life, no longer a threat to anyone, and yet still want to murder them.

This.

If I am against the death penalty, I'm not going to turn around and now say "but this one case is fine."

I hope the jury decides on a life sentence instead. Killing Roof is not going to bring any of the victims back.

It's clear cut (for me) in this particular case. a cold blooded mass murderer who showed no remorse whatsoever whilst killing almost 10 innocent people. The cunt wrote a personal manuscript against blacks.

He also had the gall to shout racial slurs whilst killing. Whilst killing.

Utter human garbage that, imho, though his heinous and pure evil acts sealed his own fate.

This is exactly the sort of case where I support the death penalty. There is no doubt as to whether he is guilty or not, and as someone who killed several people for no reason other than a desire to cause pain and suffering, I wouldn't want others (guards and fellow inmates) to be forced to interact with him. Only the death penalty or solitary confinement would be suitable, and of the two the death penalty seems far more merciful.

This is exactly the sort of case where I support the death penalty. There is no doubt as to whether he is guilty or not, and as someone who killed several people for no reason other than a desire to cause pain and suffering, I wouldn't want others (guards and fellow inmates) to be forced to interact with him. Only the death penalty or solitary confinement would be suitable, and of the two the death penalty seems far more merciful.

The problem is that you can't legislate this. You can't make a law that says "the death penalty is legal but only in high profile 100% open and shut cases where the accused killer left a note and a picture of himself at the scene holding two forms of identification". These things are used as precedent, and as much as Dylan Roof is a shit bag I wouldn't want his case to be used as precedent to potentially put an innocent person to death by mistake. It's just not worth it, and shouldn't be to any reasonable, non-blood thirsty person. Of all the people that have been exonerated after spending years and sometimes decades on death row, you don't think in more than a few of their cases the prosecutors thought they had an "open and shut" case too?

This.

If I am against the death penalty, I'm not going to turn around and now say "but this one case is fine."

I hope the jury decides on a life sentence instead. Killing Roof is not going to bring any of the victims back.

I am 100% against it, but at the same time I have no emotional energy that I can invest for the sake of Roof.

My only concern would be that people would use this example of an execution to justify why we still need the death penalty.

But yeah, there really aren't half-measures on this, because in this case a half-measure relies on human judgment.

The problem is that you can't legislate this. You can't make a law that says "the death penalty is legal but only in high profile 100% open and shut cases where the accused killer left a note and a picture of himself at the scene holding two forms of identification". These things are used as precedent, and as much as Dylan Roof is a shit bag I wouldn't want his case to be used as precedent to potentially put an innocent person to death by mistake. It's just not worth it, and shouldn't be to any reasonable, non-blood thirsty person. Of all the people that have been exonerated after spending years and sometimes decades on death row, you don't think in more than a few of their cases the prosecutors thought they had an "open and shut" case too?

This is exactly why I don't support this wiggle room of making exceptions for "slam dunk" cases.

I doubt he gets the death penalty.

I don't want him to either. It's a stupid and amoral form of punishment. Not to mention it lets perps off easy.

But he needs to get several life sentences. But being as though he's white and his victims Black, he'll probs be out on parole after 20 years (or less).

Link

The Autumn Wind
There is a valid debate over the death penalty. But Dylan Roof is not a hill I would die on.

Let him ride the lightening
Where I'm at. I won't be upset if he doesn't get the death penalty, because I'd like to see him rot in prison forever, but I won't be too broken up if he does get the death penalty, either.

Excellent points.

Opposing capital punishment is in no way a defense of the suspect, so I don't know why the implication is there. Opposing capital punishment for even the most heinous of crimes is simply acknowledgement that the practice is too flawed to continue using for risk of all the more ambiguous cases receiving death sentences.

The only truly effective way to prevent misuse of capital punishment is to outlaw its usage nationwide. Leaving exceptions for the super-duper guilty or the really horrific crimes still leaves that door open.

Yes, of course, and I hope no one is actually suggesting such a thing because what the hell. It's not just about how insanely flawed and unfair our justice system can be either, or the fact that it won't be changing anytime soon or ever, that makes Capital Punishment so distasteful to me. It's also this eye for an eye mentality, that blood lust, and using it as justification for state-sanctioned murder. It's just not in me, and I'm ok with that.

SeanC

Death Penalty is just one a lot of things that the US is archaic on. Should have been abolished around the 60s and 70s when a lot of other countries we call allies were doing the same.

I'm always upset to hear people living in a society with the means to safely restrain violent people call for violence in return for violence. :(

"We decided that we'll keep this man separate from the rest of you all, but will see to it that he does not suffer any external misfortune from here on out."

"No, we want him dead."

Fuck is wrong with you people.

entremet

Death Penalty is just one a lot of things that the US is archaic on. Should have been abolished around the 60s and 70s when a lot of other countries we call allies were doing the same.
It's been abolished in some states. The Feds still use it as this case shows.

The State of Michigan was the first English speaking government in the world to abolish the death penalty. That happened in 1846. So we're not all archaic.

Enzom21

While I don't think killing someone who has killed someone makes any sense if we trying to be morally superior... I have no issue with this dude being put down.

Does racism count as a mental illness? Wonder what the defense lawyer will come up with.

How is racism a mental illness?

Indelible

I would prefer he rot in prison than get the death penalty but at least this piece of shit will never get to take another innocent life.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm not so much against he Death penalty in extreme cases, as I just see it a complete waste of resources. Hopefully his defense will offer to plead guilty in exchange for life and save the taxpayers the expense.

Here in Colorado, the Aurora Theater shooter offered to plead guilty. Prosecution rejected it and we went through a year of trial stuff before the jury decided to give him life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom