• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 |OT| Musou Horny Unicorn Edition

So I have never played a DWG game, and actually haven't played a DW game in years. My son is old enough now to play most stuff co-op with me, so I am looking for games that offer co-op as at least an option, while providing a meaty SP experience as well. I have just a few questions. They are easy. Does it have leveling? Does it have a loot-type system? The blueprint system sounds kind of like loot, but I am not familiar enough with the series to know exactly what it is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
piratepwnsninja said:
So I have never played a DWG game, and actually haven't played a DW game in years. My son is old enough now to play most stuff co-op with me, so I am looking for games that offer co-op as at least an option, while providing a meaty SP experience as well. I have just a few questions. They are easy. Does it have leveling? Does it have a loot-type system? The blueprint system sounds kind of like loot, but I am not familiar enough with the series to know exactly what it is.

1. Yep, it has leveling.

2. Blueprints are the closest thing the game has to loot. Not *really* loot, but still something you can grind for. There's also a currency system with which you buy licenses (which in turn unlocks more Mobile Suits).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm debating which version of this to jump on. Was the Japanese release of it only on PS3? Does it look as if each version should have parity?

RiderKairuu said:
First I was hyped about using 00 Raiser..but HOLY SHIT Reborns looks kind of awesome..dat speed!
00 is ages better than Reborns in game.

And yes, best musou ever is coming out! Double dip time!

I'm sure a ton of you will be hard pressed to stop using Unicorn once you start. It's so damn beast in this game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kaijima said:
I'm debating which version of this to jump on. Was the Japanese release of it only on PS3? Does it look as if each version should have parity?

You should pretty much always go for the PS3 version of any Musou game.

Ken

Seraphis Cain said:
Is there a huge difference between the two versions? Was thinking of picking it up for the 360.

It probably won't be that bad but considering that a number of more recent Musou games didn't have 360 versions in Japan I always go with the PS3 rev.

Mairu

Seraphis Cain said:
Is there really much of a difference? I played the first two on 360 but since I've been considering selling my 360 recently I was debating getting this on ps3.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ken said:
Is there a huge difference between the two versions? Was thinking of picking it up for the 360.

I don't suppose the differences are huge, but Musou games always perform better on the PS3, and the PS3 is always the lead platform as well. One particularly striking incidence is Hokuto Musou/Fist of the North Star having intolerably long load times on the 360, as opposed to extremely quick load times on the PS3. That was one case where the difference WAS huge.

Also, something I forgot to ask. Do pilots still level up independently from the Mobile Suits?

Seraphis Cain said:
Also, something I forgot to ask. Do pilots still level up independently from the Mobile Suits?
Yes. You can actually buy levels for your pilots to bypass the grinding needed to unlock the combo strings and musou attack levels. It's really streamlined considering you have over 20 pilots to play with in the game.

matmanx1

Hyped! I really enjoyed DW:Gundam 2 and so have been looking forward to this one for awhile. The new art style looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing the other changes as well.

I am a tad disappointed about the friendship grinding trophy being back though. That stuff is/was tedious and a major part of the reason that I don't have a platinum for DW:G2. Oh well, it won't stop me from getting many hours of enjoyment out of this bad boy!

ultron87

After saying to myself for two iterations of DW:G games that I'd buy it when it became cheap, and then never seeing it for cheap, I might just buy this one right away, since it seems pretty awesome.

matmanx1 said:
I am a tad disappointed about the friendship grinding trophy being back though. That stuff is/was tedious and a major part of the reason that I don't have a platinum for DW:G2. Oh well, it won't stop me from getting many hours of enjoyment out of this bad boy!
The good thing is that there are no longer negative aspects to the friendship system, meaning they'll never level down in friendship, nobody "hates" you, etc. It's also easier to level up friendship as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seraphis Cain said:
I don't suppose the differences are huge, but Musou games always perform better on the PS3, and the PS3 is always the lead platform as well. One particularly striking incidence is Hokuto Musou/Fist of the North Star having intolerably long load times on the 360, as opposed to extremely quick load times on the PS3. That was one case where the difference WAS huge.

Gundam 3 is based on the Gundam engine which works fine on the 360. Completely different from the DW and Hokuto ports. And the FOTNS port is the only 'bad' 360 Koei port

JKTrix

zoner said:
between this and Trenched we need to form a group of XBL Giant Robots-age
For. Armored Core 5 coming soon too!
Will be getting this (for 360) in a few weeks when I'm back in the US. Not spending $80+ to get it in Bermuda. I imported Gundam Musou 1 for PS3 when I thought it wouldn't come out here, then by time DWG2 came out my PS3 wasn't working anymore. So I got 2 and will be getting 3 for 360.

Excited for the Japanese voices. Music would have been great too, but one thing at a time I guess.

Seraphis Cain said:
Exactly how crazy are we talking here? That's my primary concern. I put 120 hours into DWG2, and that was pretty much all with just Zechs, Char, and my friend using Domon.

I put about 85 hours into the Japanese version back in December and I only got 68% of the trophies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RiderKairuu said:
What will be the best approach for online play? Do I build a unit up offline first or can I jump straight in?

I forget where, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's better to build a unit/pilot up before going online. Not entirely sure though, since I haven't played it yet myself.

Seraphis Cain said:
I forget where, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's better to build a unit/pilot up before going online. Not entirely sure though, since I haven't played it yet myself.
Thanks..now I need to decide which unit/pilot I want to grind out

ReaperXL7

My only complaint is the lack of more Gundams from Mobile fighter G, there was such a large diversity in the gundam designs due to each country having their own gundam that they were almost all awesome. Glad we atleast got a few here. Other than that i'm ready for release.

EYEL1NER

Can't believed I didn't see the OT for this days ago.
I know it's a niche title, but I am sad that Kmart isn't carrying it and Amazon doesn't have any credit for it. I just went to Gamestop and paid a copy off and now I feel dirty for buying a game at full price with no deals attached.

But it's DW:G, so I don't feel TOO bad. I am gonna get my monies worth for sure over the four day weekend. The days belong to my wife and daughter, but the nights are all Gundam's. I can probably get a good 35 hours into it minimum next weekend.

So hyped!

matmanx1

BobJustBob said:
Amazon isn't even offering release date shipping. Will anyone have this on Tuesday?

Gamestop brick and mortar stores should have received this today for selling on Tuesday since it's Street Dated. My local store has a couple reserved on each platform and only got about 6 of each (PS3/360) so quantities aren't going to be huge although you could still probably lock one in if you need to.

If you are the kind of fan who enjoys these games then you will get lots of hours out of it and it will totally be worth your $60.

And just for the record Char was my main man in DW:G2 with his perfect melee score. Anyone know if they brought the same sort of stat scores over for the pilots for part 3? If so that makes it advantageous to pick a guy like Char (perfect melee score) or Amuro (perfect shot score) over some of the other pilots.

matmanx1 said:
Gamestop brick and mortar stores should have received this today for selling on Tuesday since it's Street Dated. My local store has a couple reserved on each platform and only got about 6 of each (PS3/360) so quantities aren't going to be huge although you could still probably lock one in if you need to.

If you are the kind of fan who enjoys these games then you will get lots of hours out of it and it will totally be worth your $60.

And just for the record Char was my main man in DW:G2 with his perfect melee score. Anyone know if they brought the same sort of stat scores over for the pilots for part 3? If so that makes it advantageous to pick a guy like Char (perfect melee score) or Amuro (perfect shot score) over some of the other pilots.

Im afraid that the usual will happen and brick and mortar places wont get it until Thursday or so, especially if Amazon truly wont be giving out one day orders until Thursday...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dedication Through Light said:
Im afraid that the usual will happen and brick and mortar places wont get it until Thursday or so, especially if Amazon truly wont be giving out one day orders until Thursday...
I can't speak for yours, but my Gamestop has them in stock, so they're ready to sell by Tuesday. They did the same with DW7 and I don't think that had Day one shipping. Amazon doesn't really offer that on niche titles(EDF doesn't have it either)

What system is everyone getting this on? I'll most likely get the 360 version. Also I thought about checking my usual stores to see if I could nab it early but I'll probably wait.

RiderKairuu said:
What system is everyone getting this on? I'll most likely get the 360 version. Also I thought about checking my usual stores to see if I could nab it early but I'll probably wait.

PS3...

I guess online works by random matchmaking? Never looked into it.

Xater

RiderKairuu said:

PS3 of course.

Neki

RiderKairuu said:
PS3.

matmanx1

I think the 360 version should be fine but I'm still going PS3. My 360 is in the living room acting as a DVD player and has no internet access for the foreseeable future.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
PS3 here too. All my friends are getting it on the PS3, and well, I only have a PS3, so it seems like the obvious choice. :lol

Also, why does Tuesday seem so far away? Argh. =/

EYEL1NER

360 here.
I bought the first DW:G for PS3 and I've been searching for a copy of it on the cheap for 360 ever since, so not gonna make that mistake again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
EYEL1NER said:
360 here.
I bought the first DW:G for PS3 and I've been searching for a copy of it on the cheap for 360 ever since, so not gonna make that mistake again.

What was wrong with the first DW:G on the PS3?

(And, to be fair, the first DW:G was kinda a shitty game all around, aside from doing the story way better than 2 did.)

EYEL1NER

Seraphis Cain said:
What was wrong with the first DW:G on the PS3?

(And, to be fair, the first DW:G was kinda a shitty game all around, aside from doing the story way better than 2 did.)
Nothing was wrong with it. I loved the game. It's just that the 360 is my main console for gaming. I have about 250 games for it and only maybe <15 for the PS3. So since the 360 gets more play time, I would rather have the game for that console. I would really like to breeze through the game again and get achievements and stuff too. But I just don't really game too much on my PS3.

matmanx1 said:

Thanks for the info. I went to Gamestop and preordered today.

Top Bottom