• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.X. Troopers |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
yo should i save my challenge medals?

also what weapons do you guys like? i'm doing tons of damage with the shotgun.

I've been saving my medals for costumes, especially since once you unlock the "enemy" avatar, his alt costumes are all the different enemy units in the game (except
Nevec
). I've had more than enough medals so far, but I've just been avoiding buying music.

Weapon wise, my go-to is the rapid laser and the homing missile, but I recently got the death bringer, which is basically a Gears of War Hammer of Dawn, and I'm really enjoying that. The reload is waaaaay long though, so I go back to the homing missile pretty often.

I want to try the plasma blade more, as well.

Also, I recently unlocked all of the avatars in the game, with the exception of two of the WIZ avatars, which as far as I know, are time released. Looks like there are about 20-21 avatars total, with 3-4 costumes per avatar on average.

Obviously this game isn't for everybody. I didn't enjoy the Lost Planet games at all, but I really enjoyed this from start to finish. It's not on the same level as MH of course, but it has Monster Hunter DNA, thanks to the producer of the game.

Similarities with MonHun such as temporary food buffs, borrowed sound effects and monster battles with loot rewards, it was going to be easy for me to enjoy this.

Finished the game at 17 hours play time. Still have multiplayer monster hunting to do for weapon upgrades. Can't wait!

I'm plenty free tonight if you want to play. I was thinking of just going from the first mission all the way to the end, since I have everything (including the black tag EX missions) unlocked now.

Its "My First Third Person Shooter *giggles*" I really wouldnt even put it near the same level as MH hell not even Phantasy Star Online. Considering how simplistic the controls and general combat mechanics are.

I fail to see how PSO is any more complex than EXT, and I've played PSO for years. We get that you REALLY don't like the game. You've said as much in every single post so far. I'm not entirely sure you need to keep hammering the point home.

Kyoufu

How does one obtain the Death Bringer?

I'm plenty free tonight if you want to play. I was thinking of just going from the first mission all the way to the end, since I have everything (including the black tag EX missions) unlocked now.

Sounds like a plan!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How does one obtain the Death Bringer?

Sounds like a plan!

Iirc, you get the death bringer from Reagan after you complete his quiz and obtain the endgame Tech Base mission in Episode 6. Getting the endgame Advance Base mission will get you the plasma blade.

Just a heads up on the black tag EX missions: the missions are split up into multiple stages, where you're forced to use a different sub weapon each stage. If you use the homing missile in the first stage, you're barred from using it in any subsequent stage, and so on. So, despite perhaps sticking to one sub weapon on the regular basis, I recommend upgrading a few before we head into the EX missions.

Kyoufu

I tried one of the EX missions earlier today and got my ass handed to me in the 2nd part where I was forced to use a Gatling Gun sub weapon. :(

I'm loving the challenge.

thetrin

I tried one of the EX missions earlier today and got my ass handed to me in the 2nd part where I was forced to use a Gatling Gun sub weapon. :(

I'm loving the challenge.

You're not forced to use the gatling gun. It just defaults to the gatling gun when it ejects your last subweapon out. You can use any subweapon you haven't used in the mission yet.

In the first EX mission, I ended up using Homing missile > death bringer > horizon missile. Death bringer is invaluable against the large akrid that blocks its front.

kiryogi

Banned
Good god those sales are abysmal. So we're like the very few that own it o-o

And no way was marketing horrid. They had CMs/interviews and May'n!

thetrin

Who else wants to get in on the full VR tour tonight? We're going to be starting at the very first VR mission, and going all the way through the black tag EX missions. We just need one more person for the group.

You don't need to be high level or have finished the game to join us, but it will definitely help to have upgraded weapons for the later missions.

It went and ripped out everything that made the original Lost Planet games great / interesting and watered it down thinking it would attract new "sales" to the IP. Well apparently they were wrong.

I'm not sure there was much that made those games anything even remotely close to great, or even good. The overall idea? Maybe.

If anything, they refined the elements that sort of worked and created a fast paced, fun game around them. The combat in the latter half of the game is really satisfying and you feel like a total badass when playing. A solid challenge, lots of content wrapped in an attractive package.

It's a good game, and it's too bad you didn't enjoy it.

thetrin

This lava area reminded me of MonHun's then I couldn't get the loot which definitely reminded me of those times when monster body parts would end up in unreachable places. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7VAncxXFRiE&list=UL7VAncxXFRiE#t=626s

Trin, I'm going to have to pass on tonight. I need to catch up with sleep. :( We should play over the weekend!

Not a problem. I'll see if I can grab others to play. I should have time this weekend to play. Strangely, I tend to have more time to play video games on week days than I do on weekends, what with real life commitments getting in the way.

I'm not sure there was much that made those games anything even remotely close to great, or even good. The overall idea? Maybe.

If anything, they refined the elements that sort of worked and created a fast paced, fun game around them. The combat in the latter half of the game is really satisfying and you feel like a total badass when playing. A solid challenge, lots of content wrapped in an attractive package.

It's a good game, and it's too bad you didn't enjoy it.

Couldn't agree more. I feel exactly the same way.

Kyoufu

When you upgrade the Plasma Blade it turns into the MH Hammer and Lance depending on your actions. That's pretty cool.

My copy finally arrived this afternoon so I may well be around for some online later if you'd have me :)

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this game. Kinda knew I would after the demo, but it's great having the full game. Only problem so far is that I was selling items and then wondering why I couldn't upgrade weapons :p

thetrin

My copy finally arrived this afternoon so I may well be around for some online later if you'd have me :)

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this game. Kinda knew I would after the demo, but it's great having the full game. Only problem so far is that I was selling items and then wondering why I couldn't upgrade weapons :p

Oops! Yeah, only sell gold. They say right in the description that they're not used in upgrading.

I'm not doing anything right now if you'd like to play some online. Send me a frend request and I'll make a game.

Not long into the second episode, there's a bit where you
move to a new hub area
. There's no arrows over anyones head though and talking to everyone hasn't resulted in any progression. Halp?

Kyoufu

Not long into the second episode, there's a bit where you
move to a new hub area
. There's no arrows over anyones head though and talking to everyone hasn't resulted in any progression. Halp?

Talk to the blonde guy calling your name near the entrance of the base then he tells you to go look for Gouta. Head to the lecture room and talk to everyone. Eventually there will be a marker on your map.

thetrin

Did some farming today, and upgraded my horizon missile and plasma cannons to Unlimited (the highest rank for a sub weapon, which requires a unique item).

Neo Member
Just beat the game tonight at 31 hours(I put a fair bit of time into trying to get all of the medals on each VR mission, as well as farming) and I had a complete blast with this game from start to finish.

Looking forward to the post-game content.

So glad this came out on the PS3. Might have passed it up if it was 3DS exclusive.

thetrin

I did EX 3 last night, and failed at the very last portion. It was a gate defense mission. I HATE gate defense (and I think the game knows it).

Considering you have to use a different subweapon each time, it's definitely helpful to have prior knowledge of each section, so you know which subweapon to take into each section.

I'm hoping to beat EX 3 soon so I can unlock the SP levels and do some more farming.

thetrin

Man, no one is posting in this thread. Has no one else gotten their copies??

I've honestly been too busy playing the game since getting my copy! This is firmly on my top 10 GOTY list after 10 or so hours play. The fact the missions are generally on the short size means it has that 'one more go' feel to it.

hongcha

I really loved the 3DS demo, much to my surprise. I hated Lost Planet 1 and 2, I hate shooters like them in general actually, but I love EX troopers. The art style and gameplay remind me of old NES, Genesis and SNES run'n-guns, but in 3D. Definitely putting this on my Christmas game list.

Got my game on Monday, but it's on the backburner thanks to WiiU hype. I should be on during the weekend though since my long ass vacation starts then. :)

02c959403d4211e2864822000a9f09cf_7.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I want to give it another try based on the enthusiasm in this thread, but I was not all that thrilled with what I've played so far. :/

thetrin

I'm playing OG at the moment, too, but I want to play more multi, so let me know when you guys want to play. i'm out of town until friday, but I'll be free to play this weekend.

Top Bottom