• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

GreekWolf

Seiken said:
Sony conference was better than Microsoft and Nintendo.
Only a delusional fanboy would claim such a thing.

MS conference had on-stage demos of Gears 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3 and RESIDENT EVIL 5! Netflix announcement, Banjo XBLA, FO3 exclusive DLC, FFIII megaton.

Sony responded with pre-recorded Resistance 2 footage, LBP graphs, movie service, PSP montage and CGI trailers. I wanted to see them bring it, and salvage this E3 but the fact is they didn't. Sorry.

KdoubleA

This was the most undwerwhelming shit ever. Sony's conference started off great with Resistance 2 and the LBP presentation....but that's it; everything else (except the Ratchet PSN game) was known, predictable and boring.

I think the best of this awful E3, imo, were the Gears of War 2 demonstration and the Final Fantasy XIII announcement.

Shit, where the fuck was White Knight Chronicles, we dont need to wait till TGS, a little glimpse would've been nice.!

Personally I thought Sony's was the best put together. They focused more on exclusive content and didn't have people awkwardly performing on stage like monkeys.

And that LittleBigPlanet presentation was genius. What a terrific way to demo the game and keep a slide show interesting.

oneHeero

MS: 6/10 without FF - 9/10 w/ FF
Nintendo: - 2/10
Sony: 8/10 (Video Store TONIGHT, GOW3, Infamous, great psp showing, solid throughout)

Xamdou

kbear said:
Not even close. Microsoft easily won.

Gears of War 2 demoed live and looked absolutely unbelievable
RE5 demoed live
Fable 2 demoed live
New Dashboard that looks awesome
Netflix
FF13 atomic bomb

MS won this year, and by a landslide.

Agreed, MS straight up killed em! :D

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
overall 8/10

would have loved TM announcement or something.

MAG info was nice, only reason why people will think MS one is becuz of that FF 13 shyt

Fatbot

Banned
Despite MS giving a much more entertaining conference, I think Sony still has more exclusive that are more meaningful.

I do hate the constant target vids Sony whores out and it doesn't help that Sony always seems to reach out to 2009 while MS was all about the "here and now".

With MS though we got Gears and Fable, Sony had quite a bit more exclusives department from what I saw.

The PSP wasn't totally left in the void either though resistance was the least interesting title to me.

Blader

BobTheFork said:
No way, MS had nothing until the last seconds of the speech.
Sony:
bunch of unannounced psn games
bunch of unannounced psp games
New video content service, that starts uh TONIGHT
CRAZY unannounced ps3 project

Crying haters take your fantasy list and screw off.

MS had nothing? Good Lord. :lol

Some of you guys are absolutely pathetic.

Wollan said:
Best conference.
Solid info constantly throughout.

Agreed, everyone seems to forget how bad the MS one was apart from the opening 20 minutes and the closing 60 seconds.

The nintendo one was just a fucking car crash, who did they think they were presenting to?? :D

Sony gave more than I expected anyway.

MS: B (generally boring but saved by having the only Megaton announcement)

Sony: C (No megatonz but not dry either. Doing the usual sales BS in LBP was a nice touch.)

Nintendo: F (Even a GTA announcement couldn't save it. What a load of shit and chips)

Nothing is as bad as Sony's TGS '06 keynote though. That is easily the worst show I have ever, ever seen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Amir0x said:
well another shitty show

but at least this one had games

Wada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sony > Nintendo

Yup. Wada was the one genuine highlight.

E3 is dead

GQman2121

Banned
Steroyd said:
That they're getting FFXIII the same time as PS3?

Of course. :roll:

I wanted to hear more about the PSN stuff. When can we expect more titles to have trophies? What is the window on HOME now? Are there any updates on when more features could be implamented into in-game XMB?

Shit like that.

The video store and PSN games were very good though.

mood

Bulla564 said:
So in a nutshell

Games Shown
Sony >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MS >>>>>>>>>>>Nintendo

MEGATONZ
MS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sony>Nintendo

Games matter more to me.

Uh.... yeah if you like PSP games. Microsoft presented much better games in my opinion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I have updated the OP with a first pass of news..I know I'm missing some stuff probably, but I'll update..

On my conference scorecard, Sony works out at (for PS3):

Total No. of games shown: 36
Total No. of new games shown: 8ish (i think)
Total No. of exclusives shown 22ish
Total No. of new exclusives shown: 8ish (again, I think)

By the numbers it compares very well to the other two conferences..but they zipped through lots of games, which was both good and bad.

Sony's was easily the best of the big three. They delivered on PS3, PSP and PSN. There were more new games than the overall amount of games in the whole Nintendo conference. The LBP-presentation was a great way to portray the usually rather boring number-talk. And the whole movie downloading thing being out tonight is pretty big too.

Oh but, wait, PS3 is dead to me because MS got FF13 too.

Eric WK said:
I just don't know how an objective gamer can say otherwise. It wasn't close.

Pretty much. It's not even about preference. If you just made a list of things that happened on the three stages and lined them up, I mean...

*shrugs*

burgerdog

This was as bad as Nintendo's, not a single megaton. Resistance 2 is really nice, but come on, we've seen it before. Then what did we get after that? It was so shitty I don't even remember anymore. These companies need to focus on games, we honestly don't care about your sale charts. You can feed us that bullshit any other day and it won't cost you millions of dollars.

I loved the reaction to God of War 3, before and after the trailer was shown. OMG OMG OM GOMG GoW3!!! 15 seconds later... WAT CG? YOU MORAN, Sony. God of War 3 was one of the main reasons I was watching the conference and it sucked complete ASS. We know it was being developed so did this nothing for me.

You know, even if Microsoft did show a bunch of 3rd party games being demo'd, at least they showed something. Granted there was a ton of crap in the middle, but they delivered at the end. FF13 is a TRUE megaton.

LCfiner

Is Basch insane? "win the console war"? wtf??

:lol :lol

they lost a huge 3rd party exclusive with FFXIII and GoW 3 is so far away that they can only show a 15 second CGI teaser.

They're in the same position they were in last year.

doicare

Frillen said:
MS had the best conference.

Megatons:

MS: 1
Sony: 0
Nintendo: 0

It's pretty simple sony showed more quality exclusive games coming to the ps3 then microsoft showed quality exclusive games coming to the 360, not to mention they showed off a great line up for the psp. Sony conference > microsoft conference.

Yeah, MS was the clear winner here, IMHO. They revealed a ton of exclusive stuff, featured some great demos, and shook everyone with the FF announcement. Most importantly: they showed a bunch of great-looking games. The other guys really dropped the ball there, in comparison, IMHO.

Darklord

Banned
MS was easily the best this year.

Lots of little stuff like game installations, new displays, avatars, GW2, Original Banjo on XBLA and then the megaton(the only one out of all 3) with FF13.

Sure it had a fair bit of crap too but the good stuff was pretty great.

Xclusion

Just sold my Wii so i didn't even bother watching that conference.

I think Microsoft presentation was laid out the best by delving into their heavy hitters first but Gears and Fable were the only games I was interested in. FFXII is still coming out on the ps3 and since I'm not a rabid fanboy I can't give microsoft too many points for that, but there jrpg support is impressive.

Sony failed because they focused too much on ps2 and psp (aswell as padded themselves on the back too much. They also didnt really show us much we don't already know. Overall I'd say Sony had the best conference mainly because I'm interested in DC Universe, Infamous, LBP, and a slew of other titles they showed; Unfortunately most of those titles were already known.

Sony= D+
Microsoft= D (Probably because I don't like the new dashboard upgrades and the features it's bringing don't appeal to me)

E3 08= Epic FAIL.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Maybe the 3rd parties can salvage something?

Nah, their PC's will just be rehashes of the pre-E3 events :(

damn, every conference is the same, no new games.

Resistence 2, LBP and DC universe i already knew.

infamous, god of war 3 and MAG, all CG's, nothing new there.

seriously, the only new game i think it was fat princess something

and i was expecting news on GT? i was expecting porsches, damage, wheather and i got... GT TV?

more than 30 minutes used on useless stuff like movie services, charts, google crap, i mean, who are they trying to reach with that?

if the no show games didn't existed, i wouldn't be mad but...

team ICO game
GT 5
afrika
rockstar exclusive
heavy rain

just to name 5... i mean, they are in production right? what's the point of not talking about them. twisted metal, yakuza 3, the names keep poping in my head... i don't get it.

E3 2006 was considered a disaster because of the 599 but i saw at least 10 games i have never heard of. that's E3 for me, not this boring ass conference showcasing a bunch of non game features...

- end of rant, life gets back to normal

Gwanatu T

GreekWolf said:
Only a delusional fanboy would claim such a thing.

MS conference had on-stage demos of Gears 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3 and RESIDENT EVIL 5! Netflix announcement, Banjo XBLA, FO3 exclusive DLC, FFIII megaton.

Sony responded with pre-recorded Resistance 2 footage, LBP graphs, movie service, PSP montage and CGI trailers. I wanted to see them bring it, and salvage this E3 but the fact is they didn't. Sorry.

Hey now, don't forget real-time on stage movie download demo :lol

Rorschach

I don't know what you guys are arguing about. Nintendo and Sony conferences were shit and MS one was meh save for one big moment. The best conference was the EA conference.

The Zipper game has me excited. Yeah, I know only CG was show, but if they can deliver on what they are promising, I don't care if the game looks like an HD PS2 game. As a huge BF2 fan, I can't help but to be excited about the possibility of a massive squad based game.

OK - that was completely... average.

* Why was Killzone 2 listed as 2008? I thought it was pushed to next year?

* Resistance on the PSP? We don't need more gimpy shooters on the PSP. Make more PSN games that don't require two sticks, and make them available to the PSP. Thats a winning combo.

* Its hard to listen to devs talking about the power of the playstation under the hood when the trend in the industry is towards multi-platform. They should have showcased more exclusives that can truly take advantage of the PS3's strengths.

* DC Universe looks very old school, like, dated. Its cool to see MMOs coming to the console, but I can't get excited about stuff that doesn't seem to take the console's strengths and weaknesses into account. Start at co-op and work your way up, rather than starting at massive and trying to make it all fit.

* More teasing about the great experience that will launch "in the future", using cinematic footage. Its unfair to single the PS3 out for this, but dammit, haven't PS3 users been patient enough?

All in all I'm no more hyped for the PS3 than I was before seeing this. Most of it seemed like nice marketing ideas, but not the kind of stuff that drives the industry forward in a good way. Just more of the same "grab-a-license-and-cram-it-into-as-many-platforms-as-possible" kind of thinking.

kbear

Eric WK said:
I just don't know how an objective gamer can say otherwise. It wasn't close.
Yeah, I'm stunned reading these replies. Anyone even with a hint of objectivity would agree MS won this E3. It wasn't even really that close.

kbear said:
Not even close. Microsoft easily won.

Gears of War 2 demoed live and looked absolutely unbelievable
RE5 demoed live
Fable 2 demoed live
New Dashboard that looks awesome
Netflix
FF13 atomic bomb

MS won this year, and by a landslide.

Not to mention the new XBLA games and a demo of Fallout 3.

F-Pina

I don't understand. How can anyone say it was a bad or boring conference?
They showed content, and lots of it. Isn't content king?

Also, how do you end up measuring who had a better conference? Is there a rule for this? Is it by surprises? Number of games that you can count?

These Sony guys presented games for 3 platforms including the PS2 wich if i recall is older than the XBox1 and GameCube wich was already abandoned long ago. Isn't this the support some people are always bitching about? Youtube thingy, the video sales and renting, and games, lots of them...

Haaaa whateva, i love you gaf! :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
spwolf said:
do you only play unannounced games, or do you sometimes play ones that are announced as well?

:lol

p.s. Sony is showing what they will be selling in next 6 months and that was shit load of games... why would they move point from that to something beyond that? They have shitload of exclusives just coming out.
Ok, so lets recap what was show for the PS3 this year. A heave scripted sequence of Resistance 2, LBP, and a download service. Microsoft showed stuff that wins in all those fronts. They have VP, and Banjo for this year, also a shitload of new games that will counter the PSN offering, the same third party games, and Gears 2 to go against resistance. Now, on top of that they announced Rock Band 2 time exclusivity, a shitload of JRPG's for this year (Vesperia, IU, and exclusivity in Last Remant). And to add to the slaughter they took away the most precious Sony exclusive. How doesn't that make the Sony conference disappointing? There was nothing that matched the Microsoft conference.

Top Bottom