• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

Don

omg rite said:
I can't believe how anyone can say MS' conference was horrible. You're simply wrong.

- Showed great demos.
- New dashboard/a few XBLA games.
- Casual stuff. Whether or not you LIKED it, it made the conference varied.
- RPGs.
- FF13.

You're INSANE if you call that horrible.

But yes, the conferences as a whole this year, sucked. Microsoft threw Nintendo the ball. They dropped it. Sony picked it up. Then they threw it into a river and it drifted away.
I thought the Microsoft conference was really bad. The only stuff that interested me was Gears 2 and Resident Evil 5 and after that there was nothing.

TwinsDad

Shockgamer said:
I thought it was alright. No big shocks, but the show was entertaining and interesting enough throughout, which is more than I can say for Microsoft and Nintendo's extended pleas for the babies and geezers demographic. Looking forward to Resistance, Ratcher and Clank, Infamous, the Agency and DC Universe.

And I don't even have a PS3.

Jack must have said at least 3 times that they had casual and family gaming before it was popular. I'd say that Sony was the one that was second in begging for the casual gamer behind Nintendo.

kbear

doicare said:
Meh but sony still had the best conference.
Not even close. Microsoft easily won.

Gears of War 2 demoed live and looked absolutely unbelievable
RE5 demoed live
Fable 2 demoed live
New Dashboard that looks awesome
Netflix
FF13 atomic bomb

MS won this year, and by a landslide.

GHG

Gold Member
Basch said:
Did Sony just win the console war? :lol at G4 trying to act like this was somehow a letdown. Admittedly, they did more of an overview than demoing games. But come on... Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty, MAG, DC Universe Online, inFamous, Resistance 2, Resistance: Liberation, God of War III, and HOME living spaces. Not to mention the video store that will go up tonight. Seriously, Sony shit all over Nintendo and Microsoft. One criticism I would level is that Jack Tretton shouldn't be forced to talk as long as he did. The games should be doing that. They could have showed more or included live demos. Overall, best conference since Sony and Nintendo's 2005 E3 showings. Hell yeah! Now that's how you do a conference. Final grade: A-. Great job Sony.

For recap here is what I thought of the others:

Microsoft: C-
Nintendo: D+
Sony: A-

No Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2 was a letdown, but they are just not ready it seems. Neither is Wardevil. Sony still has another event to generate even more hype. Beyond satisfied. Great job. :D

The fuck...

Woo-Fu

Banned
omg rite said:
I can't believe how anyone can say MS' conference was horrible. You're simply wrong.

- Showed great demos.
- New dashboard/a few XBLA games.
- Casual stuff. Whether or not you LIKED it, it made the conference varied.
- RPGs.
- FF13.

You're INSANE if you call that horrible.

Maybe we're just not impressed with Microsoft's habit of chanting "innovation" while copying whatever seems to be working for other companies. :)

Sony wins for best conference out of a lackluster 3, with MS claiming the door prize for best(only) megaton.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Haunted One said:
MS conference: 7/10 without FFXIII announcement, 9/10 with.
Sony Conference: 7/10 would've been a 8/10 with Team ICO
Nintendo Conference: 2/10 lol
Pretty much nailed it.

womfalcs3

Banned
Great conference. The LBP bit is the best thing I've seen at E3 so far. :lol

MAG... Meh. I was expecting the next SOCOM!!!!!!!! DC Universe Online looks cool. PSP was great, and the video store being in operation tonight is awesome.

I wish I was there to explore the game-specific Home spaces.

Wollan said:
Best conference.
Solid info constantly throughout.
:lol Why am I not surprised

Who would have thought the first 20 minutes and the last 5 of the MS conference would be the highlight?

This was weak by Sony. Everyone knows God of War III is coming, a bullshit 15 second teaser adds nothing. MAG is just CG for now. I think Sony is relying way too much on Insomniac created IPs. I like there stuff, but they just don't generate the excitement and buzz other brands do. I don't know, I think Sony really did a mediocre job, just nothing here that makes me think "wow this will be my primary gaming platform in the future..."

So this holiday is just Resistance 2 and LBP from Sony, both nice but...

34g7eon.gif

its all over

TwinsDad

kbear said:

RE5 demoed live
Fable 2 demoed live
Netflix
FF13 atomic bomb

I would agree. Sony, unless my memory faded. Didn't demo one game, all trailers. MS brought demos to the show, that was their upper hand.

Edit: I meant MS Brought Demos, not trailers.

Eric WK

kbear said:

RE5 demoed live
Fable 2 demoed live
Netflix
FF13 atomic bomb

I just don't know how an objective gamer can say otherwise. It wasn't close.

Bulla564

Banned
So in a nutshell

Games Shown
Sony >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MS >>>>>>>>>>>Nintendo

MEGATONZ
MS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sony>Nintendo

Games matter more to me.

User2k

WingM@n said:
Sony's presentation was the best of the 3. But they failed to deliver in the gaming area.

I agree with this. It kicked the shit out of Nintendo's, but doesn't really hold a light to the candle in comparison to Microsoft.

Gwanatu T

I'm absolutely blown away by today. Where are the huge announcements? Nintendo didn't show JACK and Sony left most of the exclusives out, so what gives?

Jaruru

something I learned from Sony's conf = one hand push ups........................

it was so boring that he was the only guy representing Sony. for 1.5hr.
I want my 1.5hr back

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
They focused on what was coming out THIS YEAR. That hardly 'more games coming'. They;ll do that crap this week.

I liked the conferance - I got what I wanted out of it. It's all good.

Bob: shut up m3!
Me: yeah!

purg3

slept with Malkin
Woo-Fu said:
Maybe we're just not impressed with Microsoft's habit of chanting "innovation" while copying whatever seems to be working for other companies. :)

Sony seemed really impressed with MS's video marketplace service.

GHG

Gold Member
Woo-Fu said:

Or you're not impressed by actual games? I dunno...

Vorador

Banned
LOLZ, more than half of the games on Sony conference were shooters. It feels really strange after the last generation.

And it was better than Nintendo and almost better than Microsoft if not was for the megaton of FFXIII going multiplatform. It lacked punch though, but it was generally pretty solid.

Let's see what happens in TGS, i guess the stuff not shown will be revealed there.

Forsete

Seiken said:
Sony conference was better than Microsoft and Nintendo.

No doubt. But it could have been so much better if they showed Trico, heavy rain etc.

Still it beats the shit Nintendo and MS pumped out. Sackboy alone did that. :lol

No way, MS had nothing until the last seconds of the speech.
Sony:
bunch of unannounced psn games
bunch of unannounced psp games
New video content service, that starts uh TONIGHT
CRAZY unannounced ps3 project

Crying haters take your fantasy list and screw off.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Sony walks away with e3 this year with the only meaningful new game announcement. Actually, 2 of them. Still a shit e3 though. I still think Nintendo has something up their sleeve.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
this E3 sucked, but MS has definitely delivered the BEST conf of the three followed by Sony.

MS delivered Demos of Gears, Fable2, RE5 and then topped if off with the Megaton.
yeah there were a lot of Milf embarrassing moments but they outshine the crappy nintendo and blah blah sony confs

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Can someone tell me why Killzone 2 was not shown?

One of the few PS3 titles I was actually interested wasn't even shown?

Sorry, but looking at E3 as a whole. I would say that MS didn't get anywhere. They got FF13 to be multiplatform, and that was the only excitement going for it.

Sony just got everyone's hard on for the games we're expecting to be rock hard.

Nothing changed from these conferences.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus name dropping early in the show without a reveal is extremely disappointing. Disappointment of the show.

Just what the hell are those guys doing? Are they even working on anythin at the moment? I don't understand why Sony is holding everything back. Show us stuff! Seriously, they need to show us stuff.

Nintendo is winning so they can afford to do whatever the fuck they want, but Sony NEEDS to show new games.

Of course, for the most part, all of the best games this year are multiplatform for PS3/360/PC anyways. PS3 and 360 each have a couple of solid exclusives to go along with those as well.

Top Bottom