• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC |OT| Bigger than FIFA

dreamfall

Review embargo lifted in 5 mins I take it? I have it preordered, but will probably back out if it's less than an 8.5.

Wait are you serious?

I mean, who would you trust as a reviewer? Someone who played the previous UFC games, or anyone on a major review site?

I'm just looking forward to some dedicated GAF impressions- I've got it preordered, but a Metacritic cutoff seems so arbitrary to me.

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
Wait are you serious?

I mean, who would you trust as a reviewer? Someone who played the previous UFC games, or anyone on a major review site?

I'm just looking forward to some dedicated GAF impressions- I've got it preordered, but a Metacritic cutoff seems so arbitrary to me.

It was a day one purchase when I saw the previews, but the demo left me with mixed feelings and on the fence. I'm mostly just throwing a number out there.

dreamfall

It was a day one purchase when I saw the previews, but the demo left me with mixed feelings and on the fence. I'm mostly just throwing a number out there.

Ah. I hear you- the demo did leave me feeling a little bit cold regarding the grappling game; specifically the reversals, and stamina management. Quarter circle transitions helped simplify it greatly, but I feel like the Undisputed series offered more variety in how to transition/pull guard.

I also felt like the striking took awhile to get used to- the impact felt sorely lacking in the beginning, but stringing together a successful combination always felt like a triumph. The clinch felt a bit stiff to me as well, without the ability to direct your opponent towards the fence. Submission system still feels a bit strange- but I like the levels of progression that are depicted as you advance with it; the quadrant game feels like a mini-game at times.

But for a first effort, I'm somewhat satisfied. The game is beautiful, the animations aren't all particularly fluid (clipping on the ground, interrupting strikes, etc.) but it's nice to have a new UFC title that tries to capture the subtle complexities of the sport. I'm hoping each individual fighter's sets are tweaked to mimic their styles in real life, and that the slam takedowns are harder to pull off.

lol I just went to the customize music menu and changed it to "UFC Bonus Tracks" to make the music authentically Zuffa.

lol @ the extended version of the TUF theme

I can't believe Dana actually thinks this music is hip.

Bumping Stemm's "Bum Rushed" instrumental right now hahaha

Why the fuck doesn't Faber walk out to California Love? And why is Nick Diaz walking out to some horrible wannabe Nu Metal instead of a badass Deftones track? And why is GSP walking out to Imagine Dragons' bullshit Radioactive song instead of some corny sounding French rap? And why isn't JDS walking out to the Rocky theme? And why is Miesha walking out to fucking AFI instead of some Katy Perry track? They got some of the walkout songs right but they got a lot of them really really wrong.

Oh and listening to an edited version of Schoolboy Q's "Break the Bank" is so lame.

IMACOMPUTA

lol I just went to the customize music menu and changed it to "UFC Bonus Tracks" to make the music authentically Zuffa.

lol @ the extended version of the TUF theme

I can't believe Dana actually thinks this music is hip.

Bumping Stemm's "Bum Rushed" instrumental right now hahaha

Why the fuck doesn't Faber walk out to California Love? And why is Nick Diaz walking out to some horrible wannabe Nu Metal instead of a badass Deftones track? And why is GSP walking out to Imagine Dragons' bullshit Radioactive song instead of some corny sounding French rap? And why isn't JDS walking out to the Rocky theme? They got some of the walkout songs right but they got a lot of them really really wrong.

UFC still has so far to go in that regard.

Edit: is there any kind of Sim mode that makes the game play a little more strategically?

Past

Wait are you serious?

Yeah, don't ever trust reviewers on sport games. Most of them are casual players that may not know much or anything about the sport. I can guanrantee you a lot of them will complain about the controls and how complicate it is.

Patch notes in case neone cares

Gameplay
-Tuned ability "Infinite Core" to have a bit of impact on stamina
- Tuned down the abilities "Bobble Head" and "Crushing Blows" that increased the chance of liver shots as they were too powerful.
- Tuned down the ability "Weathering Storms" as it was too powerful.
- Miscellaneous physics improvements.

Audio
- Fixed issue where punches from a submissive position in tower guard could not be heard
- Fixed issue where there was no gym timer for career sparring.
- Fixed issue where all Welterweight fighters would be announced as Middleweights when they won TUF Finale.

Career
- Added functionality to the Power Rankings screen where when changing through the views the next page started at the top of the list. It will now stay on the fighter that was highlighted.
- Fixed issue where the user is unable to hit the advance prompts in the Attempting Submissions training game.
- Fixed issue where, while fighting in the TUF gym, objects around outside the cage will get in front of the camera, blocking the action.
- Fixed issue where Brutal Leg Kicks vidow was appearing in the wrong location.
- Fixed issue where a locked, unselectable Roundhouse kick option is present in the moves screen.
- Miscellaneous Career Mode tuning

Miscellaneous
- Added the ability for the user to delete Highlight Reels.
- Added screen to in-game pause menu that lists move sets for both fighters in Fight Now.

so much for 1080p patch for ps4.

If anything there needs to be a PS4 patch that tones down the AA to fix the frame rate if it's still the same as the demo. I played the demo on both consoles and while the image quality was better on PS4 the frame rate suffered and the XBOne version ended up with the smoother frame rate albeit with more jaggies.

Lucifon

If anything there needs to be a PS4 patch that tones down the AA to fix the frame rate if it's still the same as the demo. I played the demo on both consoles and while the image quality was better on PS4 the frame rate suffered and the XBOne version ended up with the smoother frame rate albeit with more jaggies.

The Xbo version seems to be the one they're demo'ing all the time. Not sure if it's some kind of cross promotion but it doesn't really seem obvious to be that way, so I don't see why it would be.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Xbo version seems to be the one they're demo'ing all the time. Not sure if it's some kind of cross promotion but it doesn't really seem obvious to be that way, so I don't see why it would be.

USATSI_7954261-1.jpg

That is so wrong. lol All of the fan events opened before the game was released was demoed on PS4. All of the Hands on, except the one on Showdown Joe, which was a small interview at the same time, was on PS4 too.

You can't create Female Characters.

GameFace need some work. I have issues with the head mesh not wrapping correctly and thus side bald spot.

You can't create Female Characters.

GameFace need some work. I have issues with the head mesh not wrapping correctly and thus side bald spot.

I don't get Gameface at all. I imported my gameface from the website, and my character was nowhere near the the guy I had, the one that got imported had a fauxhawk and a big beard (same as Roy Nelson) which couldn't even be edit. lol

I just played as Shogun vs Forrest and Forrest KO'd me with a fucking Superman Punch.

That's ridiculous.

Shogun has an iron chin, only having been KO'd by the H-Bomb and Forrest is one of the more pillow fisted LHW's in UFC history.

Dajanksta

Banned
Doing tuf shits ridiculous lol. On easy I can't do any subs, can't defend take downs, my guy just must suck because I'm doing what I'm suppose to do to defend and sub.

newsguy

I noticed this in a couple of streams so I thought I'd bring it up here. The parry moves are done by holding block + a punch or kick button. I've noticed people in streams saying they can never time it right. No need to time it, just keep both buttons pressed. Obviously if you're holding down block and punch, and you get kicked low, you won't parry, but if you match the high punch with a high parry you will succeed. Just make sure you're holding it down and not trying to tap it as the punch or kick comes as that will rarely work.

Lucifon

That is so wrong. lol All of the fan events opened before the game was released was demoed on PS4. All of the Hands on, except the one on Showdown Joe, which was a small interview at the same time, was on PS4 too.

In the run up to launch I've constantly seen it shown on Xbo. Pretty sure at that livestreamed event at the weekend of fighters playing themselves on stage was on Xbo also.

I doubt there's much to it, seems they're obviously showing it on both consoles throughout the life of it. And from the demo both versions are almost identical. I'll be grabbing it on Xbo purely because I have 2 pads for that console and only 1 for my PS4.

Any idea when the review embargo lifts? The game is out now right...?

newsguy

So there was no truth to this PS4 1080p patch then?? I own both consoles, but I pre ordered on XBONE because that's where I've been playing the demo.

Will they have a career like FNC had? I loved it.

The career mode is basically like EA MMA's, but with a TUF setup and you rising through the ranks instead of going from league to league. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as that, which I actually enjoyed so much I went through it FOUR TIMES (taking both paths for both versions).

ron_bato

I've played a few games on champion mode (Ranked online), and I'm currently 7-6, but i learned a lot from those losses on how players play online. Be wary of body strikes lol. I need to work on defending those more, it's the go to technique of guys now because people seem attached to blocking head strikes but not body strikes.

Online seems to be holding up well, there is some lag but that's also due to the fact that I'm playing in the Philippines I guess.

My initial excitement over the lack of online trophies is incredibly stupid looking back at it - damn you, EA.

My copy will be here tomorrow.

Spades

Anyone else having trouble with their Game Face when creating a fighter in career?

I'm getting "Your download has failed. Please try downloading your Game Face again later."

For the record, my Game Face works perfectly with FIFA and Madden.

Spades

Haven't seen any yet, maybe they didn't send out review copies before street date, I dunno.

Can't speak on behalf of all journalists as I know the big players tend to get them earlier than others, but I just got my review copy today in the UK.

N° 2048

I'm awake! So glad I hit the hay early. Now I got a few hours to kill before running errands.

I won't be playing online yet but add me up lostprophet23x

Going to dive into career mode now :D

Varth

Can't speak on behalf of all journalists as I know the big players tend to get them earlier than others, but I just got my review copy today in the UK.

Got confirmation about mine yesterday, so yea, usual EA review policy is in effect.

Spades

Got confirmation about mine yesterday, so yea, usual EA review policy is in effect.

Yeah, it is worth pointing out that EA Sports review copies do not usually arrive until on/around release day. It's been that way since I've been covering games back in the early 2000's.

N° 2048

For those wanting to get rid of the annoying blocked scene notifications the share function shows.

Hit the Share button, hit Options, hit Video Clip Settings and then uncheck "Display Icons for Blocked Scenes".

If anyone gets the retail game and it's drastically better than the demo please inform us. I wanted to love this game so bad but it's just not that good. Will pass until it's 10 dollars

Daximuss

I love UFC and really enjoyed the old THQ versions, but I did not like the EA UFC demo.

The immersion suffers greatly when you are forced to do the "hold right stick this way" minigame.

I'm gonna rent it first.

newsguy

Same, so I guess not.

Damn, the sweeps are so stupid in this game. As soon as I get someone taken down, the sweep me from every single position. I am a Heavyweight, that just does not happen.

Damn, what difficulty? I noticed this in the demo, but was hoping it would change for the final version.

Spades

Eurogamer review is up. It got 7/10

EA Sports UFC is a game capable of brilliance. It's let down by some curious design decisions, signs of a team perhaps too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport. But when it flows against human competition, it offers beautiful destruction and glorious drama. Landing a picture-perfect head kick in the final minute of the fifth round of a title fight? Well, it doesn't get much better. And it that's not worth a fistbump, I don't know what is.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-17-ea-sports-ufc-review

culafia

Here's our review. I liked it. Not a huge UFC fan, but as a game, I liked it in spite of some obvious flaws.

http://zoknowsgaming.com/2014/06/17/ea-sports-ufc-review-ps4/

I like EA Sports UFC. Despite its flaws and its limited content, the fighting has a great base, the presentation is second-to-none, and the entire package screams potential. On the other hand, the grappling system needs severe work in the streamlining department, and the content needs something more than a good Career Mode to sink my teeth into. EA Sports UFC isn’t quite where it needs to be, but I have high hopes for EA Sports UFC 2.

7/10

ron_bato

About what I'd expect honestly, 7s-8s. The one thing that really brings me out of the game is seeing all this stupid spinning shit by guys who don't do spinning shit, or off the cage crap or cartwheel crap. I wish that they tone this down. We don't really need this. For example, I felt they got the essence of Nick Diaz's style, pressuring forward, attacking the body, and the head, however, seeing him do these spinning wheel kicks takes me out of it.

Anyway, it is a fun game especially when playing with the right competition.

Top Bottom