• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Varvor

Necromancer Lord (lvl 5) is down, on to next ones!

EDIT: Swine God is Down (lvl 5)
EDIT2: So was The Hag (lvl 5)

For all intensive purposes i have beaten the game in its current form....all is left is to level up all classes to 6, but not gonna bother with that.

10978657_10155179422415032_3306181198097858266_n.jpg

Ask me anything :D

^ Goddamn, man. I'm already terrified of Lv. 3 quests - the new large enemies hit hard on crits - and yet here you are acting like Lv. 5 bosses are nothing. lol

Varvor

^ Goddamn, man. I'm already terrified of Lv. 3 quests - the new large enemies hit hard on crits - and yet here you are acting like Lv. 5 bosses are nothing. lol

The bizarre part is that i took down all 3 bosses with same team with out taking them for de-stressing breaks. Just back to back to back.....Hag was the hardest one for sure.....not even her self but dungeon had me at 20-30% of health at all times for all four toons.....damage was just something i could not heal through.....

Secret for me was to B-line to boss room before i buckle under stress/damage.

And yes, they hit like fucking tanks...especially enemy crit can go up to 45 damage on single strike and thou rifle dudes can strike (which they did) my whole team for 11-12 damage.....my jaw hit the floor.

Begaria

Jesus, Varvor. You hit this game hard. I've been trying to play it slowly as to not burn myself out for full release. I've got a bunch of Rank 3 Vets now with Rank 3 skills/gear. I've only taken down the Necromancer Apprentice and Hag (level 1 versions).

Actually, I just finished off the Hag. She really needs a bit more balancing to make it a more fair fight. My key was to take in a Rank 2 Bounty Hunter and Highwayman that had as high skill ranks as they could go for Finish Him and Pistol Shot, on top of the best gear they could muster. I made a beeline for the boss, and RNG was on my side since I scouted every single time I hit a room, and made it to the boss with full health and low stress with really good buffs from camping on my Bounty Hunter. She still killed my Highwayman. I think she should be in the front row so melee and ranged can hit her with the pot in the back, so you can consistently hit her with any kind of attacker, while making ranged important for getting someone out of the pot.

Jesus, Varvor. You hit this game hard. I've been trying to play it slowly as to not burn myself out for full release. I've got a bunch of Rank 3 Vets now with Rank 3 skills/gear. I've only taken down the Necromancer Apprentice and Hag (level 1 versions).

Actually, I just finished off the Hag. She really needs a bit more balancing to make it a more fair fight. My key was to take in a Rank 2 Bounty Hunter and Highwayman that had as high skill ranks as they could go for Finish Him and Pistol Shot, on top of the best gear they could muster. I made a beeline for the boss, and RNG was on my side since I scouted every single time I hit a room, and made it to the boss with full health and low stress with really good buffs from camping on my Bounty Hunter. She still killed my Highwayman. I think she should be in the front row so melee and ranged can hit her with the pot in the back, so you can consistently hit her with any kind of attacker, while making ranged important for getting someone out of the pot.

There are melee characters that can hit the 3rd character slot. Hellion, Jester, Bounty can all hit her and 2 of those make her bleed, which she has a low resist. Don't worry about the pot.

Klyka

Banned
Huh, I've been playing this so much and literally just now noticed that the crusader can take skill, weapon and armor upgrades a level higher than he actually is.

That's pretty cool!

Things to do list:
Lepers 'n Jesters. Jesters do nothing but singing as the Lepers do nothing but swinging. No rear heals means fun times as you try to boost everyone's speed, accuracy, and crit rate before you get hurt and more fun times as the Lepers go berserk.

The bizarre part is that i took down all 3 bosses with same team with out taking them for de-stressing breaks. Just back to back to back.....Hag was the hardest one for sure.....not even her self but dungeon had me at 20-30% of health at all times for all four toons.....damage was just something i could not heal through.....

Secret for me was to B-line to boss room before i buckle under stress/damage.

And yes, they hit like fucking tanks...especially enemy crit can go up to 45 damage on single strike and thou rifle dudes can strike (which they did) my whole team for 11-12 damage.....my jaw hit the floor.

Not too mindful of enemy musketeers pulling that off as you can camp to recover, but large enemies being able to bring a party member to Death's Door in a single move is a little extreme. Figure they need a damage reduction.

Huh, I've been playing this so much and literally just now noticed that the crusader can take skill, weapon and armor upgrades a level higher than he actually is.

That's pretty cool!

Might've been in a patch? I only noticed that recently myself and that they get different pricing.

What's better to upgrade, skills or weapons/armor? In my mind the latter would be more important first.

Also, my second run has been going quite a bit better than the last. Can't wait to get one of each class and to start expirmenenting with mixes of abilities.

Edit: Also, having a good outcome from over stressing a hero is probably the hypest thing for me right now. Just feels so awesome.

Klyka

Banned
What's better to upgrade, skills or weapons/armor? In my mind the latter would be more important first.

Also, my second run has been going quite a bit better than the last. Can't wait to get one of each class and to start expirmenenting with mixes of abilities.

Edit: Also, having a good outcome from over stressing a hero is probably the hypest thing for me right now. Just feels so awesome.

I go by this order for upgrades:

healing skills/buffs > armor > combat skills > weapons

healing skills cause your healer/buffer should be good at healing. Some buff skills quickly gain a LOT more, like "Battle ballad" on the Jester with just one upgrade is way better.
Armor cause it gives you dodge and max HP.
Combat skills cause having increased accuracy means more hits means more damage.
And weapons for more damage when you hit.

"Heal? What's a heal?" - Me, (barely) taking down the Swine King sans support characters

Early on, most high-offense characters are accurate enough such that they don't need to refine their swinging skills. However, their weapons are junk. Making sure they end an enemy in one swing as opposed to two will save you a lot of grief. For most, upgrading the weapon will also grant a speed boost which may mean ending an enemy before they even move.

Meanwhile, support characters (Jester, Vestal, Occultist) and the Leper will want to upgrade their skills as early as possible. The first three will provide better support while the Leper will be able to hit something for once.

Whichever's first, armor up second. Protect your investment 'cause bullcrits do happen. The increase in health will give all your characters a little extra breathing room in case something goes wrong -- and that will happen often.

-----

Once you start doing Lv. 3 quests though, swap the order and prioritze armor over everything else. You will get hurt and you will die against the new monsters if you don't have armor. They hit hard and can take a beating themselves.

Necromancer Lord (lvl 5) is down, on to next ones!

EDIT: Swine God is Down (lvl 5)
EDIT2: So was The Hag (lvl 5)

For all intensive purposes i have beaten the game in its current form....all is left is to level up all classes to 6, but not gonna bother with that.

10978657_10155179422415032_3306181198097858266_n.jpg

Ask me anything :D
What about casual purposes?

Varvor

What about casual purposes?

lol no casuals are permitted here. Game is not made for them....will buckle under the stress and become fearful. :p

Not too mindful of enemy musketeers pulling that off as you can camp to recover, but large enemies being able to bring a party member to Death's Door in a single move is a little extreme. Figure they need a damage reduction.

Yeah no, typical they get few good shots on me...especially when i had them Crit 11 damaged and hit me on average from 3-5 per blanket shot....keep in mind it was two of them...in the back....with dagger and taskmaster (big one) in the front.....that was the point where damage was just to much to heal through...even with camp i went in to hag fight with 2/3 health on all 4 toons.

I def went balls deep with this game, when it comes to boss fight with only exception of Necro, bleed is super effective...i had hag take 12....12!!! damage from bleed in one instance...that's from 200 HP but still good chunk on top of continues stream of damage. Furthermore...if you get some one in the pot, just ignore them....keep pushing The Hag....pot will spit them out once they reach 0HP. Since she does damage twice per turn she will take damage from bleed twice :).

Horp

I really 'got' this game during my first campfire resting. Tactical resting! After having played RPGs for 23 years, I've never seen that before.
Game is great so far, but I haven't played that long yet. I hope it has some legs.

Draft

Confidence is the slow killer, or whatever. Just lost my Occultist to the hag because she is guarded by a big damn pot. The crusader is practically useless and the highwayman can only shoot. Didn't see that coming! This was my elite crew, too. All level 2+, all with 2nd level skills and gear. RIP.

Klyka

Banned
Confidence is the slow killer, or whatever. Just lost my Occultist to the hag because she is guarded by a big damn pot. The crusader is practically useless and the highwayman can only shoot. Didn't see that coming! This was my elite crew, too. All level 2+, all with 2nd level skills and gear. RIP.

A crusader against the hag is good to A) Kill the pot if you want to B) do some light healing/stress healing or C) with Holy Lance equipped and a Grave Robber/Jester/Highwayman he can hit the hag while switching places with the robber constantly.

Draft

A crusader against the hag is good to A) Kill the pot if you want to B) do some light healing/stress healing or C) with Holy Lance equipped and a Grave Robber/Jester/Highwayman he can hit the hag while switching places with the robber constantly.
My party was vendal / occultist / highwayman / crusader, with the last two mostly healing and the first two mostly hitting. Crusader only had the attack with +undead and could not hit the witch. I was stuck shooting her with the highwayman and not using the occultist heal so he could knife attack. Sub optimal!

Klyka

Banned
My party was vendal / occultist / highwayman / crusader, with the last two mostly healing and the first two mostly hitting. Crusader only had the attack with +undead and could not hit the witch. I was stuck shooting her with the highwayman and not using the occultist heal so he could knife attack. Sub optimal!

Yeah, definitely not a good setup for her :(

Tempted to try running during the Hag fight, see if your crew'll remember to pull out their teammate as they run in the event things go south. However, all 20 of my crew are Lv. 3 and I don't wanna train another. >.>

Yeah no, typical they get few good shots on me...especially when i had them Crit 11 damaged and hit me on average from 3-5 per blanket shot....keep in mind it was two of them...in the back....with dagger and taskmaster (big one) in the front.....that was the point where damage was just to much to heal through...even with camp i went in to hag fight with 2/3 health on all 4 toons.

Right, forgot you did Lv. 5 quests. lol Still on Lv. 3 quests and will be there for quite some time since I've got a lot of people - two of every class - to train and a lot of heirlooms that need to be reclaimed.

Varjis

Bought Early Access of Steam like 3 hours ago, haven't stopped playing since. Can't wait to see what else they have in store!

Varvor

Thats exactly what a filthy casual would say

Unholy filth!

RIP

When it comes to Hag fight, best Crusader is in The Pot Crusader :p

His massive health pool which buys much time while you pounce on the boss. Dont forget bleed.

Neoweee

The game can be pretty casual friendly, if they're not one to stress about dying. Low-light, low-provision suicide runs are so ridiculously, out-of-proportion profitable that somebody grinding them out for a few hours will have a bonkers gold-and-upgrade pool to really start progressing with.

Disgraced

Hey, does anyone know how to re-utilize your trinkets in your inventory? Either I'm dumb, it's an early access quirk, or it's not something you can do. Cause I've got eight torches in my trinket inventory I'd really like to put to use.

Klyka

Banned
Hey, does anyone know how to re-utilize your trinkets in your inventory? Either I'm dumb, it's an early access quirk, or it's not something you can do. Cause I've got eight torches in my trinket inventory I'd really like to put to use.

Wait,how did you put torches in your trinket inventory o_O

just make a suicide squad from new recruits in the carriage, back when things get dangerous, get some money.

Good idea. Im getting use to the combat, Im not terrified of every single encounter anymore. This game is overflowing with game mechanics and that can be overwhelming. Im enjoying it a lot despite that though

Altima

Knowing that 2nd-3rd tier bosses are only on steroid version of 1st tier boss make me disappointed and lazy to continue playing the game.

Neoweee

Knowing that 2nd-3rd tier bosses are only on steroid version of 1st tier boss make me disappointed and lazy to continue playing the game.

It's early Access. I think there's a very good chance that it will be upgraded eventually.

But, yeah, progression is the main area the game needs work on, along with balance/difficulty curve.

Honestly, I think you should get some rations and torches for free in each dungeon. That would help discourage the low-light suicide runs when you're out of money.

Altima

It's early Access. I think there's a very good chance that it will be upgraded eventually.

But, yeah, progression is the main area the game needs work on, along with balance/difficulty curve.

Honestly, I think you should get some rations and torches for free in each dungeon. That would help discourage the low-light suicide runs when you're out of money.

I do not think that we are going to get more bosses except 2 more from next 2 dungeons. The game is only 20 buck and they afford a lot already.

Anyway, no light run is more fun than you think :D

Sarcasm

I have trading cards!

I have 1x The Leper

I want to 1:1 trade for:

The Grave Robber
The Hellion
The Jester
The Occultist
The Plague Doctor

Draft

Is there a forum for suggestions?

UI: click on the torch meter to use a torch, and give me buttons in the character detail view to move through the available characters (all of them in town, 4 of them in a dungeon.)

Inventory is too small for medium and longer runs!

inkls

Is there a forum for suggestions?

UI: click on the torch meter to use a torch, and give me buttons in the character detail view to move through the available characters (all of them in town, 4 of them in a dungeon.)

Inventory is too small for medium and longer runs!

try to use the steam forums. The dev seem to respond on those.

Begaria

I'm making some actual progress into the game now. I finished off The Hag (Rank 3), and I just now killed the Necromancer (Rank 3). That was a god damn good run to on the Necro:

When I was going through the Necromancer run, I did a combination of low light and high light for efficient treasure hunting while also keeping health up and stress down. It was an unbelievable run with several lucky RNG rolls on my side. I got surprised in one room, but one of my party member's turns came up first, in which I ran, maxed my light, went back in, and surprised them instead. I camped right outside the boss' door and got ambushed AND surprised during the night, but every enemy missed their attacks on their surprise round.

My best team all has Rank 4 skills, are Rank 4 themselves, have Rank 4 armor, and Rank 3 weapons. Working on getting those weapon upgrades.

Top Bottom