• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth avoids collision with pair of asteroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat

I wouldn't mind it if I was over 60, maybe 65.
It'll be interesting to see the end of the world and to get to experience all the chaos before it.

Plus dying isn't as bad when you know everyone else is dying too.

2012: Unexpected near earth miss results in political pressure to create a UN led asteroid defense programme.

2015: First dedicated space-based asteroid detection satellite is launched into high earth orbit.

2019: First successful midcourse asteroid deflection test performed on mid sized asteroid.

2022: First commercial space mining operation begins preparations.

2023: UN Space Guard extends charter to cover the safe transfer of mineral rich asteroids to Earth Orbit for commercial mining operations.

2024: Half Life 3 officially announced for release.

Kinyou

2012: Unexpected near earth miss results in political pressure to create a UN led asteroid defense programme.

2015: First dedicated space-based asteroid detection satellite is launched into high earth orbit.

2019: First successful midcourse asteroid deflection test performed on mid sized asteroid.

2022: First commercial space mining operation begins preparations.

2023: UN Space Guard extends charter to cover the safe transfer of mineral rich asteroids to Earth Orbit for commercial mining operations.

2024: Half Life 3 officially announced for release.

2300: Half Life 3 is released

harmonize

Earth will be a smoldering pile of ash and space debris far before Valve releases Half Life 3. The project, finished with the assistance of sentient nano-machines after the demise of the human race, will be shot into space in data form in hopes of an alien species discovering it, to share in our disappointment that they'll have to wait for time to cylindrically restart to see a sequel.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So it has about the same chance of hitting us as me pissing off the empire state building and hitting Paris Hilton in LA. Whew, that was a close one!

Log4Girlz

Just read the wiki. Well, only half of the earth would be hit, so I hope I'm on the other side. :p

Unless it reflects off the moon. No I'm not kidding. Read an article that discussed a possible scenario for a mass extinction involving this. Fuck that shit. Fuck the Universe.

verbum

Unless it reflects off the moon. No I'm not kidding. Read an article that discussed a possible scenario for a mass extinction involving this. Fuck that shit. Fuck the Universe.

Maybe in 15 years we can put the string theory to use and just enter an alternate state.

KHarvey16

Discovered just days earlier? Shit I thought we had almost all the big ones tracked by now!

The one we discovered recently was the little one.

Also, they don't say the big one will hit in 600 years, it says they're confident in their prediction out to at least 600 years. It'll be longer when they crunch this new data.

So it has about the same chance of hitting us as me pissing off the empire state building and hitting Paris Hilton in LA. Whew, that was a close one!
well if there are billions of rocks/comets with that chance in our solar system, the overall chance goes way up.

and hey your piss has trillions and trillions of particles, some of them very well could hit Ms Hilton eventually heh.

ced

I really hope all that fucking money the DoD takes from us contributed to some asteroid blaster to deal with these smaller (yet destructive) ones when we get a couple days heads up.

I know civilization-rending asteroids are a big deal to some people, but have they seen how much I pay a month for groceries?

we need to fix the problems here on earth before worrying about detecting massive space rocks that could end all of the intelligent life in the universe we know of.

Sibylus

Banned
Damn straight, we'll solve this the same way we solve all of our problems: soft talk and big stick the space crap until it's convenient for some other generation to deal with.

Derrick01

Banned
There is a large asteroid due to hit Earth in 600 years? Um, is anyone working on at least the beginnings of a plan to avert that disaster?

We can't even come up with a fiscal plan ahead of time to avoid running into huge problems in a year's time.

If we are still alive in 600 years we can either live on another planet or destroy an asteroid. Hell at the rate tech is advancing we will just let the robots deal with it.

Robots plot to stand down, inherit now inhabitable Earth.

Also, I wonder when the smaller one is set to return. If it was this close on the first pass by, I wonder how much closer it will get each cycle.

Anyone seen Melancholia? This shit reminds me of it. Scary stuff.

600 years? Not reassuring.

We won't still be here. And whoever is will probably have the techmology to take care of it when it comes around.

There is a large asteroid due to hit Earth in 600 years? Um, is anyone working on at least the beginnings of a plan to avert that disaster?

OK, lets also get this straight. They didn't say anything about it being "due" to hit earth in 600 years. Evolving the trajectory of a many-body gravitational system 600 years forward in time is not an exact science, and one tiny error or change in the physical systems involved could put it millions of miles off from coming near us in that time frame.

Woorloog

Banned
We won't still be here. And whoever is will probably have the techmology to take care of it when it comes around.

We have the tech as it is, we just lack will to do anything about the asteroids. And by will i mean people would rather die rich than make sure they survive.

Haha jeez just missing is 0_o crazy

And that's really scary to know that they would find it with less then a week to show, the fuck I'd want to visit friends etc and do last minute things but that would take more then a week.

Get a watch man to monitor the earth 24/7 :p

marrec

Banned
What a fucking stupid sensationalist title.

One asteroid that would hardly be a cataclysmic impact passes the earth without incident but is a surprise to Scientists.

One asteroid that is well known to Scientists passes the earth AS FUCKING PREDICTED.

I hate science reporting.

We didn't stop shit, we lucked out. Wait until that luck runs out...

We didn't luck out, the one Asteroid that passed within the Moons orbit wouldn't have a been a danger to anything outside of a few miles of it's impact, 15 meters wouldn't be very scary.

If we were given news tomorrow that an asteroid the size of Europe was on a direct collision course with Earth and will DEFINITELY hit ninety years from now, I guarantee you that we wouldn't be sitting on our asses, but instead exploring every single option available to us.

If this ever happened our culure and society would be completely transformed within a few years. Pessimists don't give people enough credit. If the entire future of our species and planet was on the line we would rise up and do everything we could to beat the odds. And given 90 years I'm pretty damn confident we'd find a way.

Norml

In one of the episodes of Bad Universe by Phil Plait, he goes to the place where they track the stuff and shockingly there is only like 7 people working there and they said ones coming from towards the sun are undetectable and would only notice if they were huge.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It always freaks me the fuck out that we have so many asteroids that come so close without any warning.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also, apparently the Chinese have a lunar probe that's going to be doing a close flyby of Toutatis today, though I don't know whether there will be any close pictures of it.

Meh, I wouldn't be too worried if an asteroid hit the earth and killed us all. Can't be helped, that's just the universe being the universe.

Now, destruction of the earth and humanity by mankind itself? That's way more scary to me.

Meanwhile, ‘4179 Toutatis, the larger of the two, put on an amazing show for astronomers early Wednesday. The massive asteroid, which missed Earth by 18 lunar lengths, allowed scientists to observe the massive asteroid in detail. Speaking late Tuesday, NASA officials said the asteroid does not pose any danger to Earth, adding that astronomers would examine how Earth’s gravitational field influenced the orbit of the massive space rock.

I am cringing at the overuse of massive in this passage.

marrec

Banned
I am cringing at the overuse of massive in this passage.

I don't know if you know, but this asteroid was massive. It was massively massive. It was so massive, that it's massive shadow stretched across massive craters on our massive moon.

Edit:

Oh man, replace some of the words in the sentence above and that's a spam email about penis enlargement.

at least give me a computer simulation of what the impact would have looked like

get your god on and play...

tumblr_m7miowQwJm1rtc12jo1_500.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v6shurn2W0w

Ultimate Power
Spawn massive stars, launch asteroids, and manipulate gravity with just a few clicks.

Fun & Interactive
Explore our universe through unlimited experimentation.

Easy to Use
Intuitive, game inspired controls make creation and destruction effortless.

Real Physics
Use Newton's law of gravity to simulate the motions of the planets, moons, and stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom