• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Regardless, $40 for a 5+ year old port, digital-only, on the strugglingest (that's a word now, beeches) console in the country?

I still think it goes too far.
The curious won't give much of a fuck (no demo, no resale prospects in case of buyer's remorse), and at this price point, even the EDF faithful are bound to give pause.

Not all of 'em are suckers like yours truly!

And yeah, my purchase came with an additional 4x 100kb unlock keys for weapons, beyond the 620-or-so mb game download.

Quantum

I couldn't resist, I had so much fun with the 360 version I had to pick it up.

I remember it was a a budget title that I picked up for around 15 bucks and spent at least 40 hours playing.

recently I picked up the steam version of EDF:IA and it just was'nt the same - I missed the absolute randomness and grinding certain levels for drops.

now I have to remember which levels were the best grinding spots -

so excited to online co-op as well.

PSN: Cranhay

You guys got a room going? I'd like to join if you do. I added everyone who posted their PSN name. I couldn't add you though Noi. It says my friends request wasn't delivered because of recipient's settings.

Noi

Does this game support voice chat?

Not sure, though that could be circumvented by making a party.

And lol, blew myself up on an ant at the end. ._.

Oh, please tell me they kept the ridiculous VA of the 360 original!

Yup!

You guys got a room going? I'd like to join if you do. I added everyone who posted their PSN name. I couldn't add you though Noi. It says my friends request wasn't delivered because of recipient's settings.

That's short for "my friendlist is full". :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not sure, though that could be circumvented by making a party.

And lol, blew myself up on an ant at the end. ._.

Definitely harder than normal. I'm spending a little time cleaning up and getting the home ready for tomorrow, then I'll play more.

tanuki

I don't remember anyone complaining about Persona 4 Golden being a full price port of a 4-year old last-gen game. This is probably the second best game on the Vita.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure this will receive a discount at some point this year. But I'm jumping in now. I had to pay some ridiculous amount in order to play the JP release on my Asian 360. Like, more than $40! I'm a sucker for the EDF.

Destroying buildings while trying to protect Earth from space bugs never gets old.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Persona 4 Golden being a full price port of a 4-year old last-gen game. This is probably the second best game on the Vita.

I think the problem also lies in it being digital only. Some places listed boxed copies at $30 (£25 in UK) before it went digital only.

Eh, I'm still gonna buy it, price be damned.

crinale

Is there a good level for farming weapons and armor upgrades?

Mission #58: Inferno (the mission name, not the difficulty level)

With the second wave of enemies two carriers will fly over. If you are soloing then leave one of them that drops enemies for every 4 seconds, and destroy another one that drops enemies for every 6 seconds. Afterwards, just keep burning falling ants until you get 1024 items. The thing is that items keeps dropping even you have picked up 1024 items, so there's no way to tell whether you have reached the cap or not.

If you do online (recommended) then you can benefit from two carriers. Plus, at online mode you know when you have reached the 1024 items/mission cap (items do not drop anymore).

Also, keep in mind that only 64 items are allowed to exist in the field.

depward

On the fence. On one hand, I'm a big fan of the Vita and I like to support niche titles like EDF. On the other hand, I purchased New Little King's Story (for $39.99), ended up not liking it... and I'm just stuck with it.

Unfortunately, I do believe I'll be waiting for a sale here as well :/

Good shit Wired. Playing on Hard from the start is rough!

Yeah, that was great fun. Trying out weapons on hard seems to be a bad idea. Some of the stuff I tried was pretty terrible for the situation. So many weapons to use. I'm sure I'll be playing this one for a while. Need to get some 4 player co-op going sometime.

LuchaShaq

Banned
On the fence. On one hand, I'm a big fan of the Vita and I like to support niche titles like EDF. On the other hand, I purchased New Little King's Story (for $39.99), ended up not liking it... and I'm just stuck with it.

Unfortunately, I do believe I'll be waiting for a sale here as well :/

NLKS is a perfect example of this for me.

I'd love to buy it. If there was a digital version for say 15? I'd say screw it might as well.

If there was a physical copy at 30-40 I'd bite since I would know I could resell for 25-30 if I hate it. Digital for 40$? Too many good games at better prices to bother.

Noi

Damn, Mission 7 on hard is rough. I keep blowing myself up from stray ants walking right in front of me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, popped it in for 8 or so missions.
It's definitely EDF2017.
Looks, sounds, and feels just like the 360 game I remember, and it might even be running at a smoother overall framerate.

B.K.

I hope there aren't many underground missions in the game. I HATED those in Earth Defense Force 2.

Takao

Banned
I wonder if Sony shares PSN sales figures to third parties. New Little King's Story, DJ Max Technika Tune, and this are the poster boy experiments for full priced DD-only Vita games. I wonder if D3 is looking at this option for God Eater 2...

bunbun777

Welp, I got it and so far so good. Pretty satisfying hitting ants and gunner ships with my upgraded rocket launcher. I expect it to only get better, only at mission 8 so far.

Ridley327

Well, popped it in for 8 or so missions.
It's definitely EDF2017.
Looks, sounds, and feels just like the 360 game I remember, and it might even be running at a smoother overall framerate.

Yeah, it's definitely running a bit smoother overall, but it slows down in exactly the same places that it did on the 360, including the weird slideshow in mission 2. I'm surprised at how much of the detail they left in; outside of the somewhat reduced draw distance and the lower poly character models, it's pretty much the same game. Really tight controls on the Vita, too; I was shocked at how good the aiming felt, which is obviously incredibly important for this kind of game.

In case anyone was wondering, all of your progress is shared between single player and co-op, so you should be able to do all the missions with online players and get credit for it.

crinale

The loot is shared between all players in a team, so it is recommended to have one person in Palewing so that she can concentrate on collecting loots.
It's much, much easier to collect loot items by Palewing. (In some missions enemies drop items to areas where infantry can never reach).

So want, but I'm surprised it wasn't at least as low as $35 like some digital versions of retail games, and $30 seems perfect for a small-dev price I would jump on. I'm still getting it as soon as I can afford it, which cannot come soon enough.

Hopefully by the time summer rolls around there will have been a nice sale on it. I have never played EDF, but from all accounts the game sounds pretty damn entertaining. I saw a video on youtube of a guy just running through streets blowing up skyscrapers with a rocket launcher. That's the type of game I can get behind.

C-Jo

I was hesitant enough when it was $40 for a physical release. Now? No thank you.

I paid less than that for the 360 version nearly 6 years ago.

Alfredo

Bought it. I figure this is kind of a perfect portable game, so I can grind for weapons and armor on the go.

Also, that live action trailer is beautiful.

badgenome

I hope there aren't many underground missions in the game. I HATED those in Earth Defense Force 2.

There are. I'd almost forgotten how much I hated these on the 360 version, but after spending about 20 minutes looking for THAT LAST GODDAMNED ANT, I just remembered all over again.

Victrix

*beard*
Somehow I have managed to dodge these games for years

If I want to play one of these coop online with friend(s), which one would be the most awesome?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Sony shares PSN sales figures to third parties. New Little King's Story, DJ Max Technika Tune, and this are the poster boy experiments for full priced DD-only Vita games. I wonder if D3 is looking at this option for God Eater 2...
Technika Tune has a physical release, it's $5 more than the digital. I bought the $100 LE of that.

I am so torn on this. If it was $30 it'd be an absolute no brainer. If it was a $40 retail release I would already have it. $40 is a tough pill to swallow on a digital version of a game I bought years ago. But I really want it.

Noi

Somehow I have managed to dodge these games for years

If I want to play one of these coop online with friend(s), which one would be the most awesome?

This and Insect Armageddon are the only two with online play, but IA is a huge turd. So this is the best one for that.

Xander51

I'm really enjoying this game. As an EDF fan, the new content was just enough to justify the price for me. I was worried that the framerate would suffer on the Vita even more than on Xbox, but it runs quite well.

I'm Xander51 on PSN if anyone wants to add me. I'll be playing a fair bit of this!

Takao

Banned
Technika Tune technically does have a physical release, but it's uber low run and sold exclusively through the publisher.

Kyon

Banned
i suspect a good PS+ discount months from now will help out, and ill be all over it then - liking what im hearing here, one of my favorites last gen

haha, when you put it that way...

oh hey you're back <3

Since December 29th :D you finally got a vita?

Rootbeer

Banned
$40 for this rehash? Nope! I've already purchased far too many Vita games for $40 that I barely enjoyed. I'm a much more careful spender now.

Games like Persona 4 Golden are a steal at $40, but not every game needs to be $40. Price your shit accordingly.

Noi

Made it to Mission 21 on Hard. Its been dicey, but I've managed to eek out a victory solo on every mission so far. Could still use better weapons. :(

I already dread going for the vehicle trophies outside of the mech one, which is the best vehicle. Driving the helicopter is a mess.

Top Bottom