• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

branny

Definitely not 60fps though.
Hmmm...

Is there anyone who can clarify how well this game runs compared to the 360 version? I'm guessing it's worse, but does it still dip as often? What would you guys estimate is the average fps? The 360 version only really reached 60fps when things were relatively calm, IIRC. =\

Also, do any of you miss the vibration? I know it's silly, but when I played through Insect Armageddon, a lot of EDF's visual/tactile feedback was all wrong. It felt like a big part of the satisfaction was gone, so...

Camjo-Z

Is there anyone who can clarify how well this game runs compared to the 360 version? I'm guessing it's worse, but does it still dip as often? What would you guys estimate is the average fps? The 360 version only really reached 60fps when things were relatively calm, IIRC. =\

Also, do any of you miss the vibration? I know it's silly, but when I played through Insect Armageddon, a lot of EDF's visual/tactile feedback was all wrong. It felt like a big part of the satisfaction was gone, so...

From what I've played it runs very similar to the 360 version - aside from some graphical differences due to being on Vita, it seems almost exactly the same, occasional framerate dips and all.

And I actually hadn't even noticed the lack of vibration until you pointed it out... it's funny, because I was replaying Insect Armageddon the other day in anticipation for this game and was a little annoyed by the lack of that visual/tactile feedback you mentioned. But I think the difference is that IA's weapons and bugs felt relatively weak to what you fight in 2017 - the most obvious thing I noticed is that ants would just make a little hiss and disappear when you shot them, whereas in 2017 they make a hilariously loud scream and explode into a green mess. Basically, I don't really have a problem with no vibration because unlike IA this game has some of the most excellent (and funny) visual/audio feedback I've ever seen in a game.

On a side note, I don't know how Sandlot can develop RAD and Chosojuu Mecha MG and yet still make the Vegalta in EDF 2017 one of the most annoying robots to ever control in a game.

Noi

Went from Mission #21 to #60 with the help of a Pale Wing online. Now I can join in on the flying frenzy~

On a side note, I don't know how Sandlot can develop RAD and Chosojuu Mecha MG and yet still make the Vegalta in EDF 2017 one of the most annoying robots to ever control in a game.

Considering this game has that damn chopper, Vegalta's controls seem wonderful in comparison. :lol

Shiv47

From what I've played it runs very similar to the 360 version - aside from some graphical differences due to being on Vita, it seems almost exactly the same, occasional framerate dips and all.

And I actually hadn't even noticed the lack of vibration until you pointed it out... it's funny, because I was replaying Insect Armageddon the other day in anticipation for this game and was a little annoyed by the lack of that visual/tactile feedback you mentioned. But I think the difference is that IA's weapons and bugs felt relatively weak to what you fight in 2017 - the most obvious thing I noticed is that ants would just make a little hiss and disappear when you shot them, whereas in 2017 they make a hilariously loud scream and explode into a green mess. Basically, I don't really have a problem with no vibration because unlike IA this game has some of the most excellent (and funny) visual/audio feedback I've ever seen in a game.

One my absolute favorite things in EDF is when you have higher powered weapons, and killing a bug sends it what looks like literally miles away into the distance. It never fails to make me smile.

The helicopter is truly abysmal to control, but the Vegalta moves sort of how I'd expect something of that size and bulk to move. The speed bike is ridiculous as well, it's pretty much too fast to do anything except go down long streets and crash at the end.

Noi

The helicopter is truly abysmal to control, but the Vegalta moves sort of how I'd expect something of that size and bulk to move. The speed bike is ridiculous as well, it's pretty much too fast to do anything except go down long streets and crash at the end.

Cracked me up how one of the later missions is full of air-only enemies yet they stick a speed bike in the stage anyway. Like you're ever hit anything with it that isn't lying on the ground.
KuGsj.gif

Camjo-Z

At least the speed bike is fun for just cruising around in, half the time with the helicopter you can't get off the ground before you're blasted out of it thanks to a barrage of webs and acid!

OmegaZero

Hmmm...

It's feels a bit better to me. Average fps doesn't feel like 60 for sure. More like 30 or something (noticeable when running over repetitive textures).
The dips are less intrusive because of that, I guess.

I don't miss the vibration because of the way ants react in this. Shoot one with a shotgun and it'll pinball off walls as it dies. Launch a grenade launcher and ants soar into the sky spewing blood mist. Much more satisfying then IA, even without the physical feedback.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm expecting a drop to $30 across the board in the not-to-distant future. $40 is, as many have said here, seems like a hardcore-only price.

I'd drop $27 for the digital, $30 for retail.

tanuki

Amazing game.

Just hopped into a random online 4-player coop game and thoroughly enjoyed the mayhem. The explosions and screen shaking, oh my.

Ended up grabbing the Jp version back when this was announced as Digital only. Big fan of the series and the addition of online co-op and Palewing ensured it was worth a little extra for a physical release.

Is the Us version censored like the original 360 release was? That is to say; what color is the blood?

chairmanwow

Neo Member
does anyone play online on the Japanese servers? I'm about to move to Taiwan and ruminating over which region to get for lag/online community purposes.

This game is so addicting... Also, if you happen to be a little tipsy from drinking, it's even better! ;D

The carnage in the later missions becomes insane! I made the mistake of running in guns blazing into the
Queen Ant's nest in the 4th Descent mission
and this is what I was greeted with...

Needless to say, my armor was gone in seconds from the acid bukkake. The music they play in this part reminds of something out of Gundam for some reason!

Camjo-Z

I just unlocked Pale Wing, and I was expecting her to play like the Jet Armor from Insect Armageddon (having never played EDF2) but she's so much better! I don't know if I can go back to Storm 1 after zooming around blasting everything with plasma cannons.

highrider

Banned
I feel kind of bad that I cracked and paid 40 for this, but it is just as fun as I remember. It is a nice fit for the vita. My son and I both have vitas on the same account. He pretty much thinks it's the best game ever.

All the people thinking it's not worth $40 need to reevaluate how they find a game, especially a portable game, to be valuable. If you don't ever pay full price for any game ever, sure, but come on, it's EDF, it's portable, it's awesome.

Ramune

Thanks to 2 PSP2 buddies who got this recently (one of which had EDF as one of the main tipping points in getting her Vita) I managed to pick it up as well! Game's pretty addicting (my first EDF), but has anyone else experience occasional instances where the Vita freezes and then shuts off either while playing this game or have the game suspended. Never happened to any other game I have on here. :-/

OmegaZero

Damn, I want to unlock Pale Wing so bad.
But I promised someone I bought the game for that we'd go through the game together. :/

So instead it's back to beating down fools with Heihachi in PSASBR.

there are times where this game looks amazing on the vita. the first mission with the air ships made me giddy.

I noticed it seems to look slightly cleaner even though the textures don't look that hot (unless the better screen just makes them looking crap more obvious.

I also seem to remember the ships almost never going low enough to shoot them with certain weapons, did hey change this too? On 360 I actually got stuck on a single mission for a while because one ship refused to actually come down low enough for me to hit it with my guns (I didn't have my normal assortment of weapons that I eventually switched to).

All the people thinking it's not worth $40 need to reevaluate how they find a game, especially a portable game, to be valuable. If you don't ever pay full price for any game ever, sure, but come on, it's EDF, it's portable, it's awesome.
You know, it is a portable game, and so for $40, I want a physical copy - a box, a cover, and the right to sell it to someone if I choose (not that I would)... Added incentive would include the possibility that it could be a relatively small print run and at some point become difficult to find...

But this is EDF (a game I bought for $20 six years ago) and they want to give me a digital copy (which will always be available on PSN forever) for the price of my physical copy of P4Golden or Virtue's Last Reward, and I can't - no, I won't - support that. They do not have to pay for packaging and card manufacture, distribution or retailing; they're basically looking at pure profit with this form of distribution (what is it, a 70/30 split with Sony?) and I want some of the savings passed on to me, or they can go suck an egg... At $30, I would have bought it and griped a little... At $25 I would have been perfectly happy... At $40, I'll wait until it goes on sale or gets a PS+ discount.

I love EDF and I'll buy this game eventually, but not a $40, and not because I'm averse to buying games new or for "full price", but because I don't want to support what appears to me to be gouging on the part of the publisher at the consumer's expense. The main arguments for digital distribution have always been "convenience/accessibility/savings" - where are the savings?

and all that said, if they don't put it on sale before I finish VLR, I might just break down and buy it anyway and become part of the problem, but I'm trying really, really hard to be strong!!!

Gameboy415

I'm so disappointed the retail version isn't being released!
This was pretty much my most-wanted Vita game but having to shell out $40 for a digital copy (ugh) and pony up for a larger memory card (double ugh) isn't something I can justify anytime soon.

To anyone that has the game, have you had a chance to try the new missions? How are they?

Number45

This is a full blown console game in terms of content, at less than the standard retail price (unless I'm mistaken in the US). I don't understand the complaints, it surely can't be value related.

Cheech

This is a full blown console game in terms of content, at less than the standard retail price (unless I'm mistaken in the US). I don't understand the complaints, it surely can't be value related.

It's a five year old Xbox 360 game with a couple new features. This was a $19.99 game.

Tobor

Of course it's value related. This is a port of a game released at budget pricing on the 360 5 years ago. The Vita release is the exact same price as the 360 game 5 years later. That's a bad deal, and it's obviously price gouging a niche audience.

In comparison, Stranger's Wrath, a similar "full blown console game in terms of content", was recently released for $15. That's an ideal price for this sort of re-release.

I can easily afford to buy EDF at $40. I am not going to do so, because it's a bad precedent and should be discouraged.

Number45

I obviously measure value differently. $40/£32 for a game that has tens of hours of content represents good value for money as far as I'm concerned.

EDF2017 was $40 on 360, which was the lowest Microsoft would allow a retail game to be priced for the first few years of the 360's life (Hi Rockstar Table Tennis). If anyone paid $20 it was some time after release.

Some pricing complaints are valid (I consider this one of the Great Games but I probably won't buy it until the price drops a bit) but people need to stop saying the game launched cheaper on 360. It didn't. It was the same price.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I obviously measure value differently. $40/£32 for a game that has tens of hours of content represents good value for money as far as I'm concerned.

That's why I went with Stranger's Wrath. $15 for 15 hours. (and likely more with the upcoming leaderboards update)
Even better value.

OmegaZero

Palewing is so glorious.

$40 justified. Best version of EDF on the go.
It's a shame those new enemies were just recolors. :/

Noi

Really good quick mission to farm Health and weapons for Pale Wing is Mission 17. Grab a Thunder Bow/Idunn weapon, fire away down tunnels and get the goods.

Noi

What about for Storm 1?

17 could work for him as well, but he has to work for it harder. Pretty much the go to farming mission early game is Mission 8: Kill all the Ants until the two Dropships arrive, blow one of them up, then keep farming item drops form the other one. Make sure to kill off your team mates once the dropships arrive though, cause they'll actually shoot them down in lower difficulties.

OmegaZero

It's been awhile, but I remember level 28 being a good farming place if you had some nice turrets.

EDIT: For Storm 1 I mean.

EDIT2:
17 could work for him as well, but he has to work for it harder. Pretty much the go to farming mission early game is Mission 7: Kill all the Ants until the two Dropships arrive, blow one of them up, then keep farming item drops form the other one. Make sure to kill off your team mates once the dropships arrive though, cause they'll actually shoot them down in lower difficulties.

Don't you mean mission 8? :b

Noi

It's been awhile, but I remember level 28 being a good farming place if you had some nice turrets.

EDIT: For Storm 1 I mean.

EDIT2:

Don't you mean mission 8? :b

8, 7, there's ants in both. :V

And 21/28 are good, but I'm mostly talkin' really early and for health. It's really easy to lose 28 by accident at the end cause of the giant ants. ._.

Noi

Man, I'm not sure when it happened, but suddenly all the enemies on Hard mode stop being a challenge at all. Unless I get mobbed by multiple dozens at once in the later missions, I can mow down through most of them with relative ease. These higher level weapons are goooood. <3

crinale

Man, I'm not sure when it happened, but suddenly all the enemies on Hard mode stop being a challenge at all. Unless I get mobbed by multiple dozens at once in the later missions, I can mow down through most of them with relative ease. These higher level weapons are goooood. <3

At hardest difficulty you must be really tactical, and at inferno difficulty it'll become more like a strategy game :) You'll start remembering when & where second or third wave of enemies pop up on each mission, to not to get outnumbered.

Number45

A few places seem to be showing it as retail as well, although not releasing for a little while. Might be worthwhile holding out to see.

Top Bottom