• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

ijed

w00t for the OT - though we all know the title should be 'EDF Portable - we are Oscar Mike' :D
thanks to The men who stare at goats for telling me what this actually meant!
Do we know what the price will be for EU/AU? NLKS was $49AU iirc so I'm guessing the same for this.

That said with the addition of palewing, online, extra content and the impressions so far I will not be disappoint. Just gotta wait until next week when I'm back from holidays to get my vita out of Soul Sacrifice mode - which will also coincide nicely with our release date :)

ijed

UK/EU price is confirmed as £31.99/€39.99 I believe.

That it is. It's in the OP!

Thanks but I'm from the PAL land downunder - sounds like it's probably going to be $59 then. Man ps+ subscribers with AU accounts should get an automatic discount considering most other people with vitas in Australia just get stuff straight from the US store.

The item description says something about buying now gets you limited time DLC (4 pieces?).
What is that exactly? As this was canceled retail for the West, was that the preorder DLC retail copies were supposed to originally get?
Will this stuff be for sale later or will it only be available via this first few weeks (I assume)?

I'm not sure if JP version got DLC. But there's already been a handful of cases where games get DLC on the JP Store but that content is never coming to US or EU Stores. Ragnarok Odyssey and Orgarhythm and even Super Monkey Ball (don't think US/EU got the classic Sega console DLCs) come to mind.

Noi

The item description says something about buying now gets you limited time DLC (4 pieces?).
What is that exactly? As this was canceled retail for the West, was that the preorder DLC retail copies were supposed to originally get?
Will this stuff be for sale later or will it only be available via this first few weeks (I assume)?

I'm not sure if JP version got DLC. But there's already been a handful of cases where games get DLC on the JP Store but that content is never coming to US or EU Stores. Ragnarok Odyssey and Orgarhythm and even Super Monkey Ball (don't think US/EU got the classic Sega console DLCs) come to mind.

They're 4 DLC weapons that, tbqh, are pretty worthless. You get better versions of them later in the game anyway.

They're 4 DLC weapons that, tbqh, are pretty worthless. You get better versions of them later in the game anyway.

Oh, one of those then. Usually DLC items, preorder or otherwise, are either one or the other: completely useless (besides first few hours then quickly replaced) or overpowered.

I'm guessing Japan got those as purchasable Store items? Or were they their preorder items too?
There's also the question if Japan got lots of other little DLC items. I'll have to check.

dan2026

Ooooh £31.99 that is way way overpriced for this little game.

I got Gravity Daze the other day for £12

Sorry Sony but the bugs have won this one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I had some fun with the 360 version and wouldn't mind having this for Vita, but I'm not paying $40 to run around mindelssly shooting bugs and robots.

A shame there's no retail release because we'd see that $20 price point awfully fast, while at $40 we'll be lucky if it EVER goes below $30.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Up to mission 58 right now playing online, enjoying it alot so far.

Daaaaamn.

I finished mission 7 last night. I didn't realize the weapon I brought with me was incapable of
damaging the UFO's
. So after about 20 minutes of farming bugs, I just quit. The homing rockets are cool, but you almost need a missile launcher in your arsenal at all times I'm discovering.

Also, what kind of tips do you all have with running Hard+ missions? Do you just need to get better weapons and more stam before trying them?

Shiv47

Daaaaamn.

I finished mission 7 last night. I didn't realize the weapon I brought with me was incapable of
damaging the UFO's
. So after about 20 minutes of farming bugs, I just quit. The homing rockets are cool, but you almost need a missile launcher in your arsenal at all times I'm discovering.

Also, what kind of tips do you all have with running Hard+ missions? Do you just need to get better weapons and more stam before trying them?

Yes, on the Hard+ missions. On the 360 version, I spent a good deal of time farming for armor (and less so weapons) on one of the levels with a dropship. With co-op that may not be as necessary, as I was playing it solo. Picked up the US edition, and my PSN is shiv2099.

Ohnonono

PSN is Fizipop. Trying to play this with Starship Troopers on in the background while I read Old Man's War. So good! Radio chatter is so perfect.

Edit: The only thing that would make this better is if the radio chatter started having really dumb moral crisis moments over killing all the aliens.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Persona 4 Golden being a full price port of a 4-year old last-gen game.

Persona 4 is one of the best RPGs of all time and received extensive improvements in the Vita version. EDF is a budget shooter with a few improvements that is now being sold at full price and is digital only. That's why people were perfectly fine with P4G selling for $40 but not so fine with EDF at $40.

Also the idea that EDF needs to sell at a higher price because it's niche is silly. It's a game where you shoot large guns at large aliens and watch things explode. That's about as mainstream as you can get. Sure, it's not as popular as your CoDs & Halos but that's more of an issue with its low budget and lack of marketing than what kind of game it is.

Music game full of Korean music (most of which is K-Pop)? Yeah, that's niche so the high price tag makes sense. B-Movie Shooter? Not so niche.

KDR_11k

For higher difficulties you need better weapons, more health is kinda optional if you can manage to dodge enough incoming fire and your weapons have enough stopping power or you're clever with them. They're basically intended as new game plus, like the difficulties in Diablo 2+. You get much better loot at higher difficulties so finding an easy to cheese mission and beating it on a very high difficulty can get you a cool gun or two (drops are determined by the mission range and the difficulty though so you can only get certain guns from beating one mission on high diff and missions that are close to each other tend to have similar loot tables, the more distance there is between the missions you beat at higher diffs the more chance of getting different weapons).

Rocket launchers aren't mandatory though you should probably make sure to have something explosive on you at all times. The longer ranged assault rifles and the sniper rifles should be capable of hitting UFOs and similar high targets too.

AwRy108

Technika Tune has a physical release, it's $5 more than the digital. I bought the $100 LE of that.

I am so torn on this. If it was $30 it'd be an absolute no brainer. If it was a $40 retail release I would already have it. $40 is a tough pill to swallow on a digital version of a game I bought years ago. But I really want it.

Pre-order a physical copy @ NewEgg for $29.99 + free S&H--releases on 12/12/13.

Camjo-Z

Yeah, that's where I was getting confused. Since you can unlock / beat the missions out of order by playing online, does that mean completing every mission or just the last one?

Pretty sure you have to best every mission, although I could be wrong. I haven't tried just beating the last one.

Brannon

EDF!

"But it's $40!"

EDF!!

"But 40"

EDF!!!

"But"

EDF!!!!

"They killed Tiny! And Fatty!"

..?

PALEWING YOU BLIMEY COR!

space-madness-2.jpg

..serenity now... serenity now...

crinale

You must completely clear one difficulty level as Storm 1 to open up Pale Wing.

That wasn't the case in Japanese version. You could just jump on the final mission and unlock Palewing right away. It might have changed in U.S. version, though.

CLEEK

That wasn't the case in Japanese version. You could just jump on the final mission and unlock Palewing right away. It might have changed in U.S. version, though.

But you need to complete a mission to unlock the next. When you start the game, only the first mission is available. In the US version, at least.

crinale

But you need to complete a mission to unlock the next. When you start the game, only the first mission is available. In the US version, at least.

The thing is if you go online if the host guy has already beaten up to mission #60 he can choose any mission, and there was no limit for other players to join in.
So, you must find someone who has already unlocked Palewing in a proper way. Someone has to beat all missions, but other people could just benefit from that guy's progress :)

Edit: Once you beat a mission in any level you can choose that mission in any other difficulty afterwards (i.e. if you beat mission #34 in easy difficulty then you can choose inferno difficulty for the same mission next time).

Pimpbaa

I think it's using some kind of AA, because the image quality is quite nice. Granted, it's hardly a looker otherwise (for obvious reasons), but it's a very clean-looking game.

There is absolutely no AA in this game. Can't you see the jaggies on the edges of everything?

Shiv47

The thing is if you go online if the host guy has already beaten up to mission #60 he can choose any mission, and there was no limit for other players to join in.
So, you must find someone who has already unlocked Palewing in a proper way. Someone has to beat all missions, but other people could just benefit from that guy's progress :)

Edit: Once you beat a mission in any level you can choose that mission in any other difficulty afterwards (i.e. if you beat mission #34 in easy difficulty then you can choose inferno difficulty for the same mission next time).

Oh, I see what you're saying. I never played the Japanese version online, only solo, so I had to do it the normal way. That's handy to know, though, for unlocking her more quickly.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I never played the Japanese version online, only solo, so I had to do it the normal way. That's handy to know, though, for unlocking her more quickly.

I beat the game last night after having skipped like 2 missions really early on by going online and she was unlocked so I can confirm it does indeed work for the US version as well.

If anyone ends up wanting to play online some time can add my psn, it is Aliencowz7. Kind of at a loss for what I want to do next now that I beat the game once. Not sure if I want to switch characters or move up a difficulty on the one I already did now.

Baust

There's rarely anyone playing versus online. That's really a shame. I had fun playing it a little yesterday with a small group, but the lobbys are practically always dead. :(

BuddyC

I beat the game last night after having skipped like 2 missions really early on by going online and she was unlocked so I can confirm it does indeed work for the US version as well.

If anyone ends up wanting to play online some time can add my psn, it is Aliencowz7. Kind of at a loss for what I want to do next now that I beat the game once. Not sure if I want to switch characters or move up a difficulty on the one I already did now.

Thanks for the confirmation. I played enough of the original on Xbox 360 (all the while lamenting the lack of Pale Wing) that I wasn't all that enthused by the prospect of running through as Storm 1 again.

I'll hop online in a bit and see if I can find anyone near or on that stage. Not sure when I'll be around, but feel free to add me on PSN: BuddyC

Thanks for the confirmation. I played enough of the original on Xbox 360 (all the while lamenting the lack of Pale Wing) that I wasn't all that enthused by the prospect of running through as Storm 1 again.

I'll hop online in a bit and see if I can find anyone near or on that stage. Not sure when I'll be around, but feel free to add me on PSN: BuddyC

If you can't find anyone and you can catch me while I am around I can take you through the last mission for the unlock.

Camjo-Z

There's rarely anyone playing versus online. That's really a shame. I had fun playing it a little yesterday with a small group, but the lobbys are practically always dead. :(

If versus is anything like it was on the 360 version then there's probably a reason for that... reminded me of the throwaway battle modes Sega would add to their Genesis ports of games like Golden Axe and Alien Storm.

Are people actually playing this online?

Will bite if so...

goddammit!

BuddyC

Anyone up for some co-op nowish?

PSN ID: BuddyC

EDIT: Created a public lobby. Not a lot of people playing, it seems :(

QP3

Are there any RPG elements to this? I love looting and understand this is a large loot game...are there any skills or stats progression?

Camjo-Z

Are there any RPG elements to this? I love looting and understand this is a large loot game...are there any skills or stats progression?

You can collect armor icons dropped by enemies to add 1 HP each to your health, but aside from that it's all about the weapons! EDF is a very simple-minded game.

QP3

You can collect armor icons dropped by enemies to add 1 HP each to your health, but aside from that it's all about the weapons! EDF is a very simple-minded game.

Hmm...simple minded is often addicting especially on a handheld.

Thanks, will look into this one!

Top Bottom