• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

I was worried when the UPS tracking page said my package never left the warehouse this morning, but it was indeed on the truck and finally got delivered. And surprise! It's a great game. I've done the first twenty missions with the ranger and that mostly feels like a slightly improved 2017, but playing the first mission with the other three characters is three entirely different experiences.

This whole weapon power limit thing you guys are complaining about, that's only for multiplayer, right? I haven't seen anything like that in single player.

The power limit thing is fine. It just prevents people from bringing Lysander Zs into low-difficulty games. (And yes, it's only for online multiplayer. It's an option in room creation that needs to be unlocked.)

This game is hard for a fencer, I'm still trying to get the right weapon combo for the tripedal giants..I had no idea they would step on/STAB you with one of their feet..even with glitch boosting they catch up fast.

eastx

I'm curious who all has the disc vs the digital purchase for the PS3 version. It seems odd that some of you are supposedly timing the loading screens into the minutes but others are seeing the series' usual 30-45 second loading times.

Only one guy said that, and it's clear he doesn't own a device that keeps time in Earth minutes. Or his Playstation 3 is broken. Literally no one else has agreed with him.

Shiv47

Only one guy said that, and it's clear he doesn't own a device that keeps time in Earth minutes. Or his Playstation 3 is broken. Literally no one else has agreed with him.

That was me. What I also said was that the issue disappeared the next time I loaded up the game, and the time after that. Who knows why this shit happens, but hopefully it was just a weird, temporary glitch.

This game is hard for a fencer, I'm still trying to get the right weapon combo for the tripedal giants..I had no idea they would step on/STAB you with one of their feet..even with glitch boosting they catch up fast.

They're actually way harder with Air Raiders IMO. With Fencer just shoot their "heads" with a long-range artillery. I don't have the name handy but the one that does 500 damage a shot is good. The 900 dmg upgrade is great. 2-4 shots.

Related, Fencer is actually quite mobile if equipped properly. Put one of the fast parry ("ion", is it?) shields in left hand, melee weapon in right. Now you can dash cancel by using the melee weapon's dash, then shield reflect, dash, shield reflect, etc. Fencer is kinda unbearable without abusing this technique. (If you don't want the shield you can also cancel the dash into many melee weapons' attacks, but this is far slower than the shield's reflect animation.)

That was me. What I also said was that the issue disappeared the next time I loaded up the game, and the time after that. Who knows why this shit happens, but hopefully it was just a weird, temporary glitch.
I'm glad that was the case, I hate to hear about a ps3 going out after years.

They're actually way harder with Air Raiders IMO. With Fencer just shoot their "heads" with a long-range artillery. I don't have the name handy but the one that does 500 damage a shot is good. The 900 dmg upgrade is great. 2-4 shots.

Related, Fencer is actually quite mobile if equipped properly. Put one of the fast parry ("ion", is it?) shields in left hand, melee weapon in right. Now you can dash cancel by using the melee weapon's dash, then shield reflect, dash, shield reflect, etc. Fencer is kinda unbearable without abusing this technique. (If you don't want the shield you can also cancel the dash into many melee weapons' attacks, but this is far slower than the shield's reflect animation.)
Ha ha, I abuse the heck out of the dash glitch, I ended up trying missles, hammers, and eventually got two gatlings and aimed at the middle, dead long leggs, that's for the tip about weapon canceling too, I may try that too!

Ha ha, I abuse the heck out of the dash glitch, I ended up trying missles, hammers, and eventually got two gatlings and aimed at the middle, dead long leggs, that's for the tip about weapon canceling too, I may try that too!
Cool. I imagine that there are some people playing Fencer without rapid dashing and it makes me sad for them.

Something interesting is that not all melee weapons have the same cancel properties. The Jackhammer, a fantastic Normal difficulty melee weapon, cannot cancel a dash, but it can cancel off of the shield reflect. So to attack quickly with it after dashing you must go dash -> shield reflect -> Jackhammer attack. Dash -> Jackhammer attack doesn't cancel, even though Dash -> Blasthole Spear attack, and many others, do.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
A year later and I still have no idea how to properly play air raider solo on anything above normal. There are separate online and offline completion boxes for every mission on every difficulty with every class but I'm having a hard time even imagining doing some of the later missions with the raider. You never seem to find anything worthwhile for him, and most vehicles I have are useless without other players. And lord know how in the heck the helicopters even work... I can get them to fly, but everything after that is just messy.

fuck helicopters

A year later and I still have no idea how to properly play air raider solo on anything above normal. There are separate online and offline completion boxes for every mission on every difficulty with every class but I'm having a hard time even imagining doing some of the later missions with the raider. You never seem to find anything worthwhile for him, and most vehicles I have are useless without. And lord know how in the heck the helicopters even work... I can get them to fly, but everything after that gets messy.

fuck helicopters

Yeah, Air Raider is the weakest class IMO, and definitely not a good solo-er. Most of the air raids I've found so far are hard to aim due to the inadequate grenade-throwing mechanic, and have relatively small areas of effect. I *have* done a few cool things with vehicles (took out 6 nests with the first railgun tank within like 45 seconds), but they're not half as fun as other classes' regular weapons.

I am curious whether or not a good player can make Air Raider pay off sufficiently in multiplayer. Ranger and Wing Diver set a high bar for effectiveness.

Heli is as janky as any other vehicle, but it's not too too complex:
LT/L2 - ascend, let go to descend
right stick - rotate L/R
left stick - move forward/back, also affects up/down tilt
RT/R2 - machine gun
RB/R1 - homing missiles (need lock-on)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I kind of got a grasp of the controls, but the thing is just so slow I have to hold a button/direction for what seems like ages before I can notice it's effect. All I have is a HU04 transport heli though, so maybe it's just that type that maneuvers like it's carrying a dead whale. (and again, totally useless for solo play :p)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't pay much attention to Jim Sterling's reviews since I never agree with the guy. I mean he considers Modern Warfare 3 to be a 9.5/10 game, and Dynasty Warriors 7 an 8/10.

It's one man's opinion, but it's a shame people will read it and make a judgement on the game based of that review. Oh well. Just like Monster Hunter, this is a game that will forever be niche in the west.

The fact that he likes DW gave me hope that he would approach the review with respect for a cheesy, niche game that mostly involves you mashing the action button and killing hordes of identikit cannon fodder.

Cool. I imagine that there are some people playing Fencer without rapid dashing and it makes me sad for them.

Something interesting is that not all melee weapons have the same cancel properties. The Jackhammer, a fantastic Normal difficulty melee weapon, cannot cancel a dash, but it can cancel off of the shield reflect. So to attack quickly with it after dashing you must go dash -> shield reflect -> Jackhammer attack. Dash -> Jackhammer attack doesn't cancel, even though Dash -> Blasthole Spear attack, and many others, do.
I'm having a hard time finding a group clearing weapon that works with me, at least for spiders, once spiders show up, I'm done.
I kind of got a grasp of the controls, but the thing is just so slow I have to hold a button/direction for what seems like ages before I can notice it's effect. All I have is a HU04 transport heli though, so maybe it's just that type that maneuvers like it's carrying a dead whale. (and again, totally useless for solo play :p)
You can solo all characters, you just need to find the right mix of weapons, with air raider turrets are your friend, once you get the highlevel ones (missle, sniper) they do all the work for you really -__- otherwise limpet guns and well placed C4 mines are fun to set up when enemies are going to rush in.

Honestly, both classes excel when you have higher level weapons though, I think the balancing is slightly off for normal in that respect.

Daigoro

ill ask again (to satisfy my curiosity, so i dont have to bother testing it online and second guessing myself), weapon and armor pickups are shared online, correct?

thanks.

Is it too early to ask how this game stacks up to EDF2? I played EDF 2017 just the other day, and while it's still a lot of fun, it lacks some of the elements that made EDF2 such a great experience. By that I'm primarily referring to enemy types, not a variety of playable characters which is obviously well addressed by EDF 2025.

Some EDF 2017 enemies were all right, but I missed those spindly giant walkers, mirror saucers, rolling bugs and flying ants. Most of all, I missed the insanity of the giant centipede, the levels that featured it left me in awe.

i didnt check, but i did notice that the game lit up my 5.1 setup. ill try to check my receiver and see whats going on when i play again tomorrow.

It's showing up as Dolby on my setup, which is normal since AFAIK DTS tracks are only on PS3 games.

I don't care since the game sounds great either way; it just seems like D3 used the same splash images for both consoles without realizing that the 360 doesn't do DTS for games.

leakey

Picked up 2017 used from Gamestop for 5 bucks yesterday. Invite a friend over and pop it into the 360. Insect Armageddon. I was sorely disappointed.

Can't wait to pick this up, though.

How does this game deal with local multiplayer in terms of collected weapons and the like? I'm largely going to be playing this solo, but with the occasional friend in split screen and I was wondering if player 2 just piggy backs on my weapon inventory similar to how I remember it being in 2017 or do they have their own inventory that they save independently to their account profile?

Kyoufu

Is it too early to ask how this game stacks up to EDF2? I played EDF 2017 just the other day, and while it's still a lot of fun, it lacks some of the elements that made EDF2 such a great experience. By that I'm primarily referring to enemy types, not a variety of playable characters which is obviously well addressed by EDF 2025.

Some EDF 2017 enemies were all right, but I missed those spindly giant walkers, mirror saucers, rolling bugs and flying ants. Most of all, I missed the insanity of the giant centipede, the levels that featured it left me in awe.

In my opinion, the only thing lacking in 2025 is the numerous large monster bosses from EDF2. There are a few in this game but not enough. The variety of character classes is a really great addition to the EDF formula however, so I'd put this game right up there with EDF2.

Lhadatt

How does this game deal with local multiplayer in terms of collected weapons and the like? I'm largely going to be playing this solo, but with the occasional friend in split screen and I was wondering if player 2 just piggy backs on my weapon inventory similar to how I remember it being in 2017 or do they have their own inventory that they save independently to their account profile?

Player 2 piggybacks on your weapon inventory. The game first asks Player 1 to load a save file, and then asks what multiplayer mode you want. Player 2 is not asked to establish/load a save file. Everything picked up by either player is thrown into Player 1's weapons/armor pile.

Ding II

Hi guys. I'm still in "research mode" on this game, since I plan to do the campaign in co-op, and that can't start happening until this weekend. So, I have a few questions.

As I mentioned, I plan to try playing as the Air Raider(AR). I will be accompanied by an Wing Diver(WD) and a Fencer. I'm a little concerned since at least on the first couple levels, the AR seemed under powered. I want to be able to pull my own weight.

Any advice for a newbie AR?

In vehicles (the first tank and the Grape APC), I'm not seeing a cross-hair. It makes aiming the vehicle gun pretty tricky. Is this normal? Do later vehicles have this same issue?

Are you supposed to be able to throw the smoke markers for that first artillery strike? Because I can't. The grenade always drops at my feet. This make things pretty exciting. Oddly, my friend tried it, and says that he can throw the marker for blocks. Am I missing something? (I tried holding down the fire button, but that didn't change anything.) I have no trouble throwing the Attack Whale(!) marker.

I'm having a hard time finding a group clearing weapon that works with me, at least for spiders, once spiders show up, I'm done.

I like gatling supplemented with a melee that lets you retreat when necessary. Then close-range Jackhammer (that dash-enabling melee) can clean up the remnant.

Other people probably use hammers since they hit multiple targets but I haven't found a great one yet imo. Jackhammer's DPS and utility outshines everything else Fencer gets in Normal imo.

Centipedes would have been awesome in this game, I am glad this game does have some boss sized enemies though..I don't know why the game thinks I killed 3 ant queens, I've only seen 2 so far -__-
I like gatling supplemented with a melee that lets you retreat when necessary. Then close-range Jackhammer (that dash-enabling melee) can clean up the remnant.

Other people probably use hammers since they hit multiple targets but I haven't found a great one yet imo. Jackhammer's DPS and utility outshines everything else Fencer gets in Normal imo.
I think I have one, called the super rolling hammer, I'll have to experiment, I tried it and got ate up by ants last I tried!

So I called D3 and Xbox support (lame but I'm sick in the middle of a snowstorm) and they couldn't tell me anything about DTS on the 360. I think D3 just forgot to remove the logo splash from the PS3 version.

Finally found my red knight fencers crowd clearer, a shotgun just happened to make itself available! Works really nice too :D

So I called D3 and Xbox support (lame but I'm sick in the middle of a snowstorm) and they couldn't tell me anything about DTS on the 360. I think D3 just forgot to remove the logo splash from the PS3 version.
That's what its sounding like, did you hit up their twitter and let them know?

Holy fucking shit. I just died at the very end of mission 33 (phase 3) agains the queen ant TWICE.

What am I missing? She does so much damage!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Holy fucking shit. I just died at the very end of mission 33 (phase 3) agains the queen ant TWICE.

What am I missing? She does so much damage!

Aw shit. I'm just about up to this mission (on 28 at the moment, which I think will be my first encounter with a Queen Ant, at least according to the mission description).

Please say this means an EDF 2025 episode soon. The 2017 episode was great.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh yeah, if anyone did that Facebook promotion to get the Special Ops mission pack for free, check your e-mail. I got my code yesterday.

EDIT: Eek, sorry for the double post.

MrDaravon

At what point does the Wing Diver start getting good weapons? The game keeps giving me the shitty long range laser beams that do damage over time, but even on regular enemies like ants or spiders it still takes like 10 seconds to kill a weak enemy with them. I'm using an electric shotgun that's got pretty good range (over 200 meters) that does decent damage and the starting Plasma Launcher and that's it, and I'm already at mission 28 or so >_>. Everything else I've gotten for her has been garbage.

Edit: Also for anyone who is doing the Facebook thing with with EDF to get the first DLC for free I did it I think Tuesday and already got my code today.

Shiv47

At what point does the Wing Diver start getting good weapons? The game keeps giving me the shitty long range laser beams that do damage over time, but even on regular enemies like ants or spiders it still takes like 10 seconds to kill a weak enemy with them. I'm using an electric shotgun that's got pretty good range (over 200 meters) that does decent damage and the starting Plasma Launcher and that's it, and I'm already at mission 28 or so >_>. Everything else I've gotten for her has been garbage.

What difficulty are you playing on? I try to play early levels on each increasing difficulty to farm for better weapons to make lesser difficulties quicker. Got some nice stuff playing on Hard that way when just starting the game.

Hmm, I always had good weapons for her. Rapiers are a close-combat must, you get your first more-focused one pretty early. LRSL-37 (36?) is a fantastic long-range snipey thing (the early versions of it are pretty poor) that you'll get around midway through Normal which is useful until the end. In the very early game I was using a lightning gun that chained between enemies over mid-distance. Got a better version of that around 75%ish through Normal. The multi-shot Ixion series is often quite useful. I almost never used plasma launchers. Only for rare crowd control.

Anyway, you're bound to get something good soon. Just keep picking up the crates like an obsessive.

Edit: Contrary to what most people seem to do I play each difficulty straight through, without skipping ahead to score better weapons. I feel like I'm wasting entertaining content if I twink like that. But if you do twink a bit then you'll have no problem whatsoever.

MrDaravon

What difficulty are you playing on? I try to play early levels on each increasing difficulty to farm for better weapons to make lesser difficulties quicker. Got some nice stuff playing on Hard that way when just starting the game.

I've just been going on it through normal with a friend online. If we started on Hard wouldn't we hit the Weapon Level problem getting stuff on Hard then going down to Normal? For what it's worth I've been playing solo with my Ranger on Normal and I'm up to Mission 36 or so with no issues.

Loving this so far. Glad that Wing Diver is back. My one dissapointment in EDF 2017. I didnt except to like the Air Raider so much.

But man, they just refuse to make vehicles easy to use. Many of them dont have aiming reticles, and most are slow or underpowered above Hard mode. I still like the Tank class, especially rocking the Rail Gun.

Slermy

Thanks.

That was kind of neat in its own right. The fine print does indeed say it runs through the 24th, so we'll see if I get a code.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You have to remember the EU release, also published by D3, isn't officially out until tomorrow and I think the promotion site is covering both EU and the US. I'm still waiting for the digital release to appear on EU PSN as well but I'm guessing it won't be until tomorrow rather than after midnight tonight.

Shiv47

I've just been going on it through normal with a friend online. If we started on Hard wouldn't we hit the Weapon Level problem getting stuff on Hard then going down to Normal? For what it's worth I've been playing solo with my Ranger on Normal and I'm up to Mission 36 or so with no issues.

I think that's only online. We've been using Hard level weapons on Easy and Normal. My experience in playing as the Ranger on the Japanese version was that beating Hardest was doable with even relatively low health on early levels, and Inferno with some luck once you get some better weapons on Hard and Hardest. I've been playing Wing Diver on the US version and I've gone through several Hard levels with no problem. I've only tried Hardest once and would have been fine, but got lazy and an ant grabbed me and that was it. Being able to zip around makes Wing Diver pretty deadly, though the low health is a nice balance for that.

MrDaravon

I think that's only online. We've been using Hard level weapons on Easy and Normal. My experience in playing as the Ranger on the Japanese version was that beating Hardest was doable with even relatively low health on early levels, and Inferno with some luck once you get some better weapons on Hard and Hardest. I've been playing Wing Diver on the US version and I've gone through several Hard levels with no problem. I've only tried Hardest once and would have been fine, but got lazy and an ant grabbed me and that was it. Being able to zip around makes Wing Diver pretty deadly, though the low health is a nice balance for that.

Right, and like I said I'm playing with my friend online sooooo :p

tumblr_n1blb2xMa71tsgcago1_1280.jpg

Professional translation

JKTrix

This game fought with me when I tried to download it to my Xbox over the last couple of days, but I finally got it. I had Vita 2017 but didn't play it at all, so the new units from that game are all fresh. Fencer is weird!

MrDaravon

Sorry, I missed that. I farm by myself usually, so...

Yeah, so for what it's worth that totally works, but the weapon levels are too high. I was with a friend on my Wing Diver online up to mission 26 or so. I went back and did the first ~10 or so levels on Hard (which wasn't that bad), the weapons on Hard seem to start at level 12/13. The problem is that on Normal we're now up to Mission 36 and the allowed weapon level is still only level 10, so I still can't use any of those unfortunately, at least not right now.

Top Bottom