• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

Ding II

I've just been going on it through normal with a friend online.

You're playing it wrong. ;)

Seriously, I think the funnest way to play EDF games is to try every level at the absolute hardest difficulty you can manage. Besides making the game much more interesting and challenging, it opens up the possibility of getting really good (fun!) weapons earlier than you otherwise would. And happily, 2025 seems much more generous with the weapon drops than 2017 ever was.

For instance, a friend and I are still just experimenting with the game, learning how the new classes work, etc. Since we don't want to "spoil" the "plot" before we start our real play through with a third friend this weekend, we're just playing the first level over and over again. Easy and Normal difficulties seemed to give the same few drops; only a couple weapons per class. Level 0 weapons. Unimpressive. But Hard, and now Hardest are giving tremendous drops. I think one of AR weapons I got was a level 37. Lots of 20's. "Hardest" runs are totally do-able now with two people. I'd guess that even Inferno is beatable on that map, which is kind of crazy given the fact that we've only been grinding the very first map of the game.

If we started on Hard wouldn't we hit the Weapon Level problem getting stuff on Hard then going down to Normal?

Well, yes, it's possible that you'd get some weapons that aren't usable at the lesser difficulty levels. But that doesn't seem to be much of an issue, since you don't really need those weapons for that sort of thing. "Easy" and "Normal" difficulty are, in my mind, just there to let you explore a new level in perfect safety. For practice, basically, before you attempt the levels on the "real" difficulties.

The weapon level caps are very generous. "Hard" allows level 25 weapons. Hardest goes to 50, I think? Inferno may be wide open for all I know.

Oh! It turns out that weapon drops are shared. Yay! I've done several levels where I didn't pick up a single crate, but I still got as many weapons as anyone on our team.

klaus

Just got my Mission Pack code!

Ha, same here. They even put an EDF! EDF! EDF! in the mail :)

Edit: To anyone interested in getting a free DLC code, check the facebook link on the last page, they send the codes within a few hours.

Ha, same here. They even put an EDF! EDF! EDF! in the mail :)

Edit: To anyone interested in getting a free DLC code, check the facebook link on the last page, they send the codes within a few hours.
Am I the only one who dug how the news reporter said her final lines? Kinda Surreal and cool.

Exr

On mission 22 and loving it so far. What is the max weapon level? Do most people online play Inferno?

A high level skytrap(spiderweb gun that shoots high into the air and sticks to surfaces for a good while) makes dragons as feeble as flies..it's almost funny.

On mission 22 and loving it so far. What is the max weapon level? Do most people online play Inferno?

I've seen level 53's

Subxero

My Brother and I are having so much fun with this. this is our first EDF. He was pretty skeptical until he picked up a plasma bomb. We laughed so hard when he panic fired it and the whole screen went white and everything in the area was destroyed when the screen cleared.

Thanks for the heads up on Mission pack link. Hopefully it will be waiting for us in the morning.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Holy fucking shit. I just died at the very end of mission 33 (phase 3) agains the queen ant TWICE.

What am I missing? She does so much damage!

Alright, now that I've actually done this, I can give some advice (spoilered just in case, you never know):

First things first, there's actually TWO queens in the lair. But it's not that hard to deal with them. What I did was take in a Stingray ST2 rocket launcher and stood just outside the entrance to their lair. They're too big to be able to travel through the entrance, so you're mostly safe out there. All you have to worry about is their spray, which you can dodge fairly easily. Just stand outside the entrance and fire rockets in at them when you get a good shot, and dodge when they fire their spray (they'll screech just before firing). Be careful though, as the spray can actually hit a fairly wide radius, even outside the entrance.

I can't believe how much time I just spent playing this. It was a complete worm hole-esque time warp wherein I became aware of the rapid advancement of time only much later, after finding some awesome mortar weapon for my fencer.

this game rules.

Is the 360 version still exponentially better than the patched ps3 version? Going to go grab a copy soon.

it defecates on the ps3 version from a great height. I watch 360 and feel jealous at times.
but I'm still enjoying it, knowing the experiencing could have been so much smoother had it been optimized for ps3 hurts a little, but i'm patient, i know the PS4 version will make up for it.

Alright, now that I've actually done this, I can give some advice (spoilered just in case, you never know):

First things first, there's actually TWO queens in the lair. But it's not that hard to deal with them. What I did was take in a Stingray ST2 rocket launcher and stood just outside the entrance to their lair. They're too big to be able to travel through the entrance, so you're mostly safe out there. All you have to worry about is their spray, which you can dodge fairly easily. Just stand outside the entrance and fire rockets in at them when you get a good shot, and dodge when they fire their spray (they'll screech just before firing). Be careful though, as the spray can actually hit a fairly wide radius, even outside the entrance.

I either didn't notice(because my ranger is a killing machine in tunnels), or that wasn't the case with me, i was playing normal though.

altez

Neo Member
Really tempted to pick this up but I only have a PS3 and have heard some pretty awful things about it. The PS3 version of the game that is.

I guess I can always cross my fingers and hope for a PC release right? I mean, that'll totally happen... Right?

Really tempted to pick this up but I only have a PS3 and have heard some pretty awful things about it. The PS3 version of the game that is.

I guess I can always cross my fingers and hope for a PC release right? I mean, that'll totally happen... Right?

not for a while if at all..but dude..its all I've been playing, i spent like 4 hours of my total 30 plus hours just grinding weapons and i enjoyed every moment of it..even with the slowdown i think its worth it.

I'm about 3/4 finished Normal with Air Raider now. It's definitely a slower, different style of play. Limpet Sniper D and turrets are my mainstays. Finding that first turret is key. I've learned how to take advantage of vehicles in many stages (tanks are good for kamikaze nest-busting, helis can fly right up to the new-style transport ships and take them out) but never use airstrikes. I hope I find some better ones.

Really hoping to get some crazier shit in higher difficulties so they can better match the other classes.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Even though the 360 version is the better one I've spent the past 7 hours playing online coop with a mate on PS3 not giving a fuck about how well it runs. To ignore it if PS3 is the only option you have would be a bad idea IMO. It's still a great game. Hell even with the choice of 360 and PS3 I went with PS3 for a number of reasons.

Just got my 360 copy in the mail today after parting with the PS3 version, and got to play a little bit on my lunchbreak before returning to work - on the topic of which version runs better, the 360 one definitely outshines its PS3 counterpart. But if PS3 is your only option, it is certainly playable and enjoyable.

Overall, I was really enjoying the game on PS3, but I just couldn't get over the fact that the framerate felt "off." It wasn't unplayable by any means and was tons of fun, but having recently played 2017 on 360, I could tell that the PS3 version didn't feel quite right. It seemed like there was noticeable screen tearing here and there when I would pan my view around the city, and that kind of bugged me (no pun intended). Even still, I put about 5 hours into the game over a couple of nights, and was having an absolute blast. Online play felt reliable to me, and I didn't have any issues with long loading times... but even still, I kind of wished that the game played a little more smoothly.

I don't use Gold, so free online play was what drew me to the PS3 version initially... but as I realized I didn't know anyone who would be playing EDF 2025 online, I decided to trade for the 360 version to see if it actually ran better like some people in this thread claimed. I'm very happy I did. The 360 version runs noticeably more smoothly and feels more like 2017 - and, unless I'm totally crazy, the colors appear more vibrant and there are subtle particle effects that I don't remember seeing in the PS3 version. Having the option to install game data is certainly nice as well, and it felt like the loading times were noticeably shorter.

So if you have the choice, I definitely recommend the 360 version, especially if you're nitpicky about graphical details or played a lot of 2017 and expect the same "feel" during gameplay. If PS3 is your only option, you're still going to have a ton of fun!

By the way, I never redeemed the weapons pack code that game with my Amazon Preorder, so if a fellow PS3 user is interested, hit me up - it's up for grabs!

Subxero

Has anyone gotten a Facebook Mission code that entered their info last night?

I filled out the form for a 360 code about 12 hours ago. I haven't received a response yet.

I just tried again and it doesn't pop the form up to pick the console format. I guess my Facebook account got flagged as already applied to the promo.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I either didn't notice(because my ranger is a killing machine in tunnels), or that wasn't the case with me, i was playing normal though.

What, the thing about
there being two queens
? Yeah, upon reflection, that seems a bit weird, and I have to wonder if maybe it wasn't a bug or something (ha ha). I was playing on Normal, too.

What, the thing about
there being two queens
? Yeah, upon reflection, that seems a bit weird, and I have to wonder if maybe it wasn't a bug or something (ha ha). I was playing on Normal, too.

I think it may be that
the first anti-queen mission has one, the second has two

I have been waiting for this....

Quick Look: Earth Defense Force 2025
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-earth-defense-force-2025/2300-8531/

Just got around to watching it and despite it all, it makes the game look good, I love that the comments point out how horrible brad is at games(refusing to try suggestions that would have made his time easier), just like someone else pointed out, its like they refuse to have fun :p but it wouldn't be a quicklook without that undercurrent of apathy!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, I ended up going back to an early stage and playing it on Hardest to try and get some better weapons.

I got a Goliath D2. 1200 damage missile launcher (with a scope!). Went back to 36 on Normal and breezed through it in like five minutes. :lol

culafia

I'm around 40 missions in.

It's really good, but I think I prefer 2017 more as of this very second. 40 missions in, and only 3-4 have really spoke to me on a "holy shit that's excellent" level. The other 36 either do the same kinda shit 2017 did but more drawn out or just come across as new enemy arrangements and little more. Also, for all of the talk about how short these missions are, most of these are longer than 2017's.

I'm under the assumption that it gets way way better as I get deeper in. Also, I do think it's a great game and all, and dat first
mothership
mission is really sick. It just...doesn't feel as intense as 2017 did...yet. Am I crazy?

Riposte

Once I submit this assignment later tonight, I'm getting neck deep in bug guts. Pretty hyped.

The casual apathy Giant Bomb members save Vinny exude constantly is why I can't watch/listen to their stuff unless someone uploads them being funny in short clips on YouTube.

I just realized the season pass is pointless if you already have the spec ops mission via the facebook thingy..

I'm around 40 missions in.

It's really good, but I think I prefer 2017 more as of this very second. 40 missions in, and only 3-4 have really spoke to me on a "holy shit that's excellent" level. The other 36 either do the same kinda shit 2017 did but more drawn out or just come across as new enemy arrangements and little more. Also, for all of the talk about how short these missions are, most of these are longer than 2017's.

I'm under the assumption that it gets way way better as I get deeper in. Also, I do think it's a great game and all, and dat first
mothership
mission is really sick. It just...doesn't feel as intense as 2017 did...yet. Am I crazy?

not crazy, just a bit impatient, there's 85 missions for just single player missions, they gotta spread it out mang! I'm on 62..and..

I've seen things man..

for a real challenge play as a fencer, even with great weapons it has a mad learning curve..

Exr

for a real challenge play as a fencer, even with great weapons it has a mad learning curve..

Do you have any tips for playing Fencer? I got down the horizontal charge and spear shot movement but I feel really clumsy when using the hammer or shield.

culafia

I just realized the season pass is pointless if you already have the spec ops mission via the facebook thingy..

not crazy, just a bit impatient, there's 85 missions for just single player missions, they gotta spread it out mang! I'm on 62..and..

I've seen things man..

That's good. My other big issue is that Normal has gotten too easy and Hard is too hard. Probably my fault for figuring out pretty early on how easy it is to game the system for Hard, Hardest, and basic Inferno Ranger weapons. I also don't know if I want to replay 20 missions just so I can be more equipped for proper hard mode. Any advice? Should I just continue trampling the base game with my AF-19 burst rifle and worry about Inferno shit later? Should I try to pick up a new class despite picking Ranger exclusively for all 47ish missions so far? I just don't like handicapping myself in the name of fun because it breaks immersion.

Do you have any tips for playing Fencer? I got down the horizontal charge and spear shot movement but I feel really clumsy when using the hammer or shield.

Experiment with different situations and loadouts, you will learn what's best for what situation, and of course you absolutely have to have a combo that allows for cancelling into another dash, so your most important weapons are the two others you pick, any hammer that has an area of effect further than where it lands is a good weapon for gap making, dual gatling guns for stages where you're fighting a lot of charging creatures or flying drones, and a long range weapon that hits hard to one shot the drop ships and delroys..

unfortunately to excell you HAVE to grind for higher level weapons, what they start with will not get you far at all without way too much practice..

That's good. My other big issue is that Normal has gotten too easy and Hard is too hard. Probably my fault for figuring out pretty early on how easy it is to game the system for Hard, Hardest, and basic Inferno Ranger weapons. I also don't know if I want to replay 20 missions just so I can be more equipped for proper hard mode. Any advice? Should I just continue trampling the base game with my AF-19 burst rifle and worry about Inferno shit later? Should I try to pick up a new class despite picking Ranger exclusively for all 47ish missions so far? I just don't like handicapping myself in the name of fun because it breaks immersion.
I got to about level 15 with my air raider before I starting grinding weapons for my ranger, got to level 36 or so and switched to fencer after grinding for his stuff, and not I'm back at air raider and enjoying it like new..if you're getting tired of a class, replace it with another after you gear it up, but I'd recommend staying on normal, the levels above, especially inferno will murder even with high level weapons :(

klaus

I've decided to start the game on hard with with a fencer, and oh boy you're right.. Handling (and reloading!) four different weapons, of which two can be fired / charged at the same time while getting the timing and aim down with all its delays and using two different (cancelable) dashes at the same time is.. simply wonderful :D

In the beginning my brain was getting dizzy from getting accustomed to controlling this beast, but the satisfaction of packing some serious punch made the learning curve worthwile. Those heavy mortars are rather scary to fire off and bring a grin on my face every time they rip through some innocent buildings. And then you let the Hammer Of God rain death upon them filthy insects.

This game is pure bliss.

I've decided to start the game on hard with with a fencer, and oh boy you're right.. Handling (and reloading!) four different weapons, of which two can be fired / charged at the same time while getting the timing and aim down with all its delays and using two different (cancelable) dashes at the same time is.. simply wonderful :D

In the beginning my brain was getting dizzy from getting accustomed to controlling this beast, but the satisfaction of packing some serious punch made the learning curve worthwile. Those heavy mortars are rather scary to fire off and bring a grin on my face every time they rip through some innocent buildings. And then you let the Hammer Of God rain death upon them filthy insects.

This game is pure bliss.
Agreed!
Yesssh, the Fencer is definitely a monster in its own right, I've figured out how to scale certain buildings thanks to his rocket jump and dash cancel combo, i plan on playing through again from the beginning with just the fencer, I totally need to max his gear, i've only scratched the surface of his weapon cache!

klaus

My most precious (and hated) weapon right now is a level 36 (or so) high altitude missile thrower for the fencer - it's got about ten lock-on targets on long range, deals hefty damage and goes through waves of enemies in the distance like a cookie cutter, but that damn b*tch has killed me at least a dozen times because of premature explosions due to the missiles hitting the ground or an ally before taking off. Then there's the moments when I'm dashing away madly from the enemy hordes, and my baby simply refuses to fire after locking on - we have a really interesting relationship :S

Edit: Is it possible that they increased the aggro range of the enemies (or perhaps it propagates somehow)? On hard I fail to get away far enough from nests or UFOs to catch a breath, those pesky ants & spiders just keep coming, making it really hard to get in for a clean shot. Perhaps I need to farm more armor so I can take the damage while in the middle of sh*t?

My most precious (and hated) weapon right now is a level 36 (or so) high altitude missile thrower for the fencer - it's got about ten lock-on targets on long range, deals hefty damage and goes through waves of enemies in the distance like a cookie cutter, but that damn b*tch has killed me at least a dozen times because of premature explosions due to the missiles hitting the ground or an ally before taking off. Then there's the moments when I'm dashing away madly from the enemy hordes, and my baby simply refuses to fire after locking on - we have a really interesting relationship :S
What is it called? Not the bloodstorm? I hate that too many of the powerful lock-on weapons REQUIRE an air raider to even function, I have a level 55 rocket spitting monster that I'll never get to see rock :(

* I'm not 100% sure, i think they might have for harder difficulties, on one mission if I didn't figure out how to scale a building the drones overhead would have never come down, and I didn't have a weapon that could reach them, I know firing near them aggro's them, I don't even think you have to hit them!

klaus

She's called FG02 High Altitude Impact Missiles (lvl 38) - what a nice name ^^. Picked her up on level 1 hardest I think. Btw didn't know there are weapons that only work with other classes, playing solo for now..

Edit: Or is this explaining why certain lock-on weapons simply refuse to do anything? It's really hard to read the weapon description on my first gen Trinitron TV so I might have missed a clue lol

She's called FG02 High Altitude Impact Missiles (lvl 38) - what a nice name ^^. Picked her up on level 1 hardest I think. Btw didn't know there are weapons that only work with other classes, playing solo for now..

Edit: Or is this explaining why certain lock-on weapons simply refuse to do anything? It's really hard to read the weapon description on my first gen Trinitron TV so I might have missed a clue lol
Ha ha, yeah, its one of the sore spots in the way they set up these support characters!

I'm playing solo as well, so imagine my pain when I read a high lvl weapon I get it useless!

I don't have those missles..yet, i look forward to testing it out, hopefully its not one of the lock on with air raider only weapons!

klaus

Ha ha, yeah, its one of the sore spots in the way they set up these support characters!

I'm playing solo as well, so imagine my pain when I read a high lvl weapon I get it useless!

I don't have those missles..yet, i look forward to testing it out, hopefully its not one of the lock on with air raider only weapons!

No worries, it locks on over great distances without assistance of any kind, good luck finding it
and beware its unreliability ;)

Top Bottom