• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

DryvBy

MNtZAaz.png

Release date: December 8th, 2015
Platform(s): There's no platforms. There's only PlayStation 4! Order now! At a later date, Steam will get it too. Order then!
Genre: Action! Shooting! Bug Killing!
Multiplayer: You can team up with Tom Servo, Gypsy, and Croooooooooooooow! It has 4-player co-op!

This is a stand-alone expansion (or tweaked up version) of Earth Defense Force 2025 with new features. One of the new features is 1080p graphics running at 60fps!!!

R3Rftpy.png

The Earth Defense Force is like the UN. Only they kill giant bugs, dragons, robots, and other things straight from 1950s sci-fi/"horror" films. They're kind of like a futuristic squad of Power Rangers that protect Earth. Unless the Power Rangers are already futuristic, then they're just Power Rangers known as the EDF.

Choose between a top-notch basic combat Ranger that looks like the Prince of Space, the flying Wing Diver, the dudebro Air Raider to summon your vehicles (like the new giant robot!), or the Fencer. Each class has their own unique abilities and they're able to summon loads of weapons of vehicles. Want to shoot an alien with a assault rifle? Sure. You can do that. Master Chief did it. Why not?

mQVa9mF.png

Monsters. This game has them. The first time I played one of these games, I fought giant ants. And I kept missing my rockets and knocking out buildings. You can blow up everything, and so can these monsters!

Monster range from giant Ants, Hornets, Spiders (more fearsome than those lame Bloodborne spiders), Dragons, Gunships, Aliens, UFOs, and now Robo-Dinos. Yes. Robotic Dinosaurs. Check this out...

So hot...

aKy99xw.png

Moving pictures first.

Wow. That looked awesome!

Now some normal pictures.

And of course:

ZwGYEOv.png

Destructoid - 80
If I were to stick with a single installment going forward, this would be the one. Some of the upgrades fall short of expectations, and a good deal of the content is overly familiar at this point, but The Shadow of New Despair still represents the series at its best.

Hardcore Gamer - 90
The action is huge, the enemies gigantic and the firepower overwhelming. Earth Defense Force 4.1 is finally the game the series has always tried to be.

Gaming Nexus - 85
Killing giant insect scum was has never been as fun and addicting as it is now. The four different classes provide four different and fun ways to play the game and there is tons of replay value here to keep you killing incest for many months to come.

Digital Chumps - 46
Earth Defense Force 4.1 is a lesson in how endearment can turn into exasperation. Like the best magic tricks, it's astounding the first time you see it, but a waste of time when the performer can't figure out how to move on.

We Got This Covered - 40
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair still has all of the series' quirks which fans love and detractors dislike. It's a flawed experience, but it asks players to overlook its shortcomings in order to have a laugh.

Attack of the Fanboy - 40
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair is not an enjoyable game thanks to the ugly graphics and repetitive nature of the gameplay. It does not help that enemy types and levels are reused over and over again too.

These games look so fun. Can't wait to get the EDF2 remake on Vita, and I'll be getting this on PS4 when I get one... Eventually.

Any tips for a first-time player?

So sell me on this as someone who's never played one of these. GAF is in love with this series and I've always wondered what the appeal is. What is it about these games that is so awesome? Not trying to say it's not awesome, I'd just rather listen to people here than some review.

DryvBy

These games look so fun. Can't wait to get the EDF2 remake on Vita, and I'll be getting this on PS4 when I get one... Eventually.

Don't do what I did and play alone. Get some friends to join you. Always.

I'm waiting to buy it until Friday because I'm trying to discipline my stupid self so I'll be a smart self.

So sell me on this as someone who's never played one of these. GAF is in love with this series and I've always wondered what the appeal is. What is it about these games that is so awesome? Not trying to say it's not awesome, I'd just rather listen to people here than some review.

Tons of missions; tons of weapons; tons of monsters. Co-op is great. It probably holds a big place for people who were into arcade shooters. The worlds are big. The bosses are big. You can blow up everything.

It's very, very fun. You might want to watch a let's play of one of them.

Risette

A Good Citizen
They're really cool third person shooters with an awesome sense of scale and lots of cool weapons to experiment with.

bede-x

Nice OP and it ought to be when GotY arrives :)

One of the new features is 1080p graphics running at 60fps!!!

It's capped at 60fps, like the last gen versions and while it does run a lot better it can still hit single digits.

Tobor

The levels are repetitive, the animations are janky, and enemy AI is nonexistent. It's awesome!

Do you like grinding? Do you need a game to play while also watching TV or listening to podcasts? Do you hate bugs? If so, EDF is the series for you. I've put countless hours into EDF on 360 and Vita, and I'm ready to do it again on PS4.

What is the gameplay like in EDF? You see bugs. You shoot bugs. You get some stuff. Rinse. Repeat.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

For EDF 2 at least, always play as Pale Wing (the female character who can fly). Every mission! Being able to fly across the map to reach the next cluster of enemies makes things so much faster and more convenient than sloooowly running over.

Also the games are still insanely enjoyable in single player. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

bede-x

Is the game not fun solo or something? I'd be playing it mostly at work. :/

It's definitely best in coop, but I still find it enjoyable alone. One of the problems with that in this specific iteration is that you have the option of picking four different classes and they're not equally suited to solo play. Some like the Air Raider has a lot of weapons meant to boost or support other players and they're worthless going alone. As such you'll be limited to some extent in the number of ways to approach a level.

As long as you're ok with that - and you really should be :) - I'm sure you'll find enough to love.

Cheech

I haven't played anything else in the series besides EDF 2017 on Xbox 360, but it's one of the best "bad" games I played on the console.

It's a very fun, very pure arcade game with crazy action. I put tons of hours into 2017.

TreIII

For me, it's the sheer sense of scale and ensuing chaos that makes it one of the most fun action game series I've ever played.

It starts out rather "tame". You (will likely) take an Infantry dude (or one of the other options), and start with fairly rudimentary machine guns, too. And they send you into to wipe out a swarm of giant black ants. You'll kill them, and they'll drop weapon boxes for new weapons and armor packs so you can raise your HP.

But then, the game starts upping the "ante", as it were. First, it's more and more ants. Then ants that fly. Then red Fire Ants that can and WILL mess up your day, if you let them. Then Flying Saucers. Then Giant Mobile Walkers. Then Giant UFOs. And a few Kaiju/Giant Monsters, here and there. And plenty more where that comes from. And all the while, you and your characters earn more and more powerful weapons, which only help you do what you're supposed to do better: BLOW LOTS OF SHIT UP.

It's a simple, arcade-y premise. And yet, once you get the hang of it, it sinks its mandibles and won't let you go easy.

Vitacat

Looking for a 3rd game for BestBuy's B2G1 sale. I think this may be it. I enjoyed the previous game on 360.

I've been so excited for this game, my best friend and I have been waiting for its western release since it was announced

SephLuis

Is the game not fun solo or something? I'd be playing it mostly at work. :/

I am also a first time player and honestly coop is the focus.

I am playing alone ='( and the later missions are becoming a drag. They are too long, with lots of enemies and one single mistake can end my life and send me to the beginning of the level.

I am playing in hard (yeah, I skipped normal) and probably isn't something anyone should do, but I am managing so far. The challenge is welcome, but I would like some checkpoints for single player.

The mission structure also makes this game a good one for the long term. Play little by little would be for the best.

If anyone can help me to test online, send me a PM. I really would appreciate the help.

Camjo-Z

I am also a first time player and honestly coop is the focus.

I am playing alone ='( and the later missions are becoming a drag. They are too long, with lots of enemies and one single mistake can end my life and send me to the beginning of the level.

I am playing in hard (yeah, I skipped normal) and probably isn't something anyone should do, but I am managing so far. The challenge is welcome, but I would like some checkpoints for single player.

The mission structure also makes this game a good one for the long term. Play little by little would be for the best.

If anyone can help me to test online, send me a PM. I really would appreciate the help.

I haven't played 4.1 yet, but if EDF 2017 is any indication you're supposed to play the difficulties in order so you have enough accumulated health from the earlier difficulties to withstand enemy attacks in the harder ones. Basically, starting off on Hard is a bad idea.

I haven't played 4.1 yet, but if EDF 2017 is any indication you're supposed to play the difficulties in order so you have enough accumulated health from the earlier difficulties to withstand enemy attacks in the harder ones. Basically, starting off on Hard is a bad idea.
Ehh just do like 6 missions in normal then do the first mission on hard. Get the really good guns and they go through normal on easy mode for about 15 more levels.

Tapejara

Great OT! Amazon ended up shipping my order earlier than expected, so I'll be getting it on Wednesday instead of next week. So excited!

Start on Easy or Normal. Difficulty works differently in these games; you need to grind out armour and weapon drops on easier difficulties to be prepared for hard mode and above.

DTJAAAAM

Best Buy doesn't seem to count EDF towards their Buy 2 Get 1 Free promo, at least right now. Will try to order again in the morning.

*EDIT*

Works correctly now!

tensuke

Does this have local coop or will my friend(s) need their own copy?

And what's the deal with the robots, how often do you pilot them/how often are you on foot, and are they actually good/not too clunky?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've always played solo - but only started with 2017 on 360, then rebought 2017 on Vita.

All this praise for co-op has me pretty much buying this today. Should be a good couch coop to play with my kids too - my daughter is loving SW Battlefront but lack of local coop for the multiplayer is a downer.

assuming it has local coop, it should be a good candidate for shareplay right? To convert any of your friends that are unbelievers.

Top Bottom