• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Best EDF game yet. You either get this or you dont. It's a niche game and one I appreciate for everything it does. Glad the low scores over the ages haven't turned this into some focus tested game either.

CLEEK

They updated the store hours ago. So.... Idk, this is weird.

There's a PS Blog post today about both EDFs releasing today. And in the comments the Xseed guy confirms it will hit the store today. Sort your shit out, Grace. I want to download EDF2 for my commute home.

BearPawB

Banned
I disliked 2025, but LOVED 2017.

Wondering if this can change my mind.

I cant remember if it has the obsessive weapon collecting of 2017

This game is amazing. It's like an old NAOMI title on steroids. The announcer has to call out everything. The horrible voice acting. The music. The colors.

Sorry Helldivers, I think this is my GotY.

Mupod

Well I wasn't expecting this game to tear me away from Xenoblade but here we are. I've been going back and forth between ranger and wing diver. The latter I found some massive damage burst shot that was 2-hitting the ant transports on hard mode, it's fairly short range so it's a fun playstyle.

It's good old EDF, some of the missions are...very familiar. Also the framerate still sucks, lol.

Going nuts with a grenade launcher results in some incredible-looking explosions at least. And the maps are HUGE.

Ogawa-san

I don't know why I expected it to be budget priced like Onechanbara (that I got on day 1 too), but thanks to our imploding currency it'd cost me the same as... Uncharted 4.

PC version it is!

TOM WE SUMMON THEE? Give us news!

DryvBy

Any impressions we can get? I'll throw them on the OP since I don't think this game is going to be reviewed by too many anytime soon.

IvanJ

Banned
Any impressions we can get? I'll throw them on the OP since I don't think this game is going to be reviewed anytime soon.
On the contrary, the game is getting lots of reviews. Unfortunatelly, half of them are 4/10.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/earth-defense-force-41-the-shadow-of-new-despair

I was thinking about buying it, but $50 is just way too much. I will buy it for $10, doubt I'll have to wait a lot. Ten is the maximum to spend on a joke game to kill some time.

DryvBy

On the contrary, the game is getting lots of reviews. Unfortunatelly, half of them are 4/10.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/earth-defense-force-41-the-shadow-of-new-despair

I was thinking about buying it, but $50 is just way too much. I will buy it for $10, doubt I'll have to wait a lot. Ten is the maximum to spend on a joke game to kill some time.

Yeah, I edited my post right after.

I dunno. The other ones seem to rate about the same and it's a lot of fun. At least you get a ton of co-op content for the $50. I'm just waiting for the weekend so I can focus on studying.

ys45

This is one of those game like the Musou series. People who like/understand this kind of game will like it, it's very niche (I'd say more than Musou) unfortunately I don't see site like IGN or Gamespot giving this game a high score since it's a low budget game and they will not understand this and will compare it to AAA games .

Personally I'm having so much fun with this game it's pure simple arcade fun and it's coop .

Tapejara

Wooo! Just checked and the game was in my mailbox! My play through of GTAV is going to have go on hold while I do some bug killing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wickedly fun and funny. I need some friends for noob co-op.

I realize EDF was around long before, but describing the mechanics to a buddy, I said it's basically RE Raid mode, but with bugs and robots and Michael Bay explosions. And you can fly and drive mechanized battlesuits. So, yeah.... awesome.

RotiniNoodle

Neo Member
I look forward to its release on Steam the way a kid with his grandma's credit card does in anticipation of a new NBA2k title at a midnight release. I could not put down 2025 and R.A.D. and never got to play the newer titles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I can't beat the first mission on hard. Lol.

The last wave of bugs always swallows me. Just don't have anything with enough DPS to hold 'em off. Played about 10 missions on normal, which honestly is too easy. Game is great, but I'm having trouble dialing in a good difficulty. Think all I really need is a weapon upgrade to go back to hard, but no luck yet.

Game is addictive.

Breakbeat

Banned
I wonder if they patched the Fencer's dash cancel exploit from vanilla EDF4/2025? The exploit speeds him up from the slow tank to a bit faster than Ranger, which makes him pretty busted in the right hands.

Ahh, this is an EDF dream come true.

I played the hell out of 2017 on 360 and dabbled with EDF4 on PS Now, but I'm loving this version!

I have a couple questions-- in local co-op, if there are two different classes playing and someone grabs a weapon, do both players get one? And also wondering about how online works with progression-- do your drops online count offline with weapons and armor?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Who on earth said 60FPS goodness? On the title page maybe, and in caves when they're empty. Right at he start of level one, just turning left/right the framerate drops, and there is tearing all over the place. It's a lot better than previous versions, and generally a lot prettier (did the PS3 version have reflections od buildings in the glass skyscrapers?), but it is not a solid 60fps game by any means.

Is there a setting to cap the framerate? I don't mind dropping to 30 if it'll reduce the tearing.

Btw, I only ever play as the ranger - are the other classes worth trying out? What little I played of them, the fencer was just too slow (ranger is bad enough when you've left an ant stuck in a wall at the other end of the map), and the wing diver just seems weak.

natertots

Only place near me that has this game is Gametop. I'm not a huge fan of going back to this one after my last experience, but they are holding me a copy and it's only one of two left. I think I might take the plunge and pick this up. Have never played EDF before but it's always intrigued me and I hear so many good things.

bede-x

I will buy it for $10, doubt I'll have to wait a lot. Ten is the maximum to spend on a joke game to kill some time.

It's really not a joke game. On the contrary what you're getting is a massive package with tons of content. I've been playing this and the last gen versions since they were released and the amount depth on offer is staggering. Sure, everyone can grind their way through it, but the planning, skill and strategy it takes to complete it on Inferno with no grinding at all (every stage once), starter health, with all four characters, is immense. Other shooters like CoD, Halo or similar are comparitively simpler and far far easier.

bronk

Banned
Im having tons of fun. Its more of the same ol bug splosions. Im digging the wing diver. The screen tearing is annoying the hell out of me though.

I have a reoccurring nightmare. In this fever dream I wake up and I've turned into someone who doesn't get the EDF games. Horrible, I tells ya.

Anyway, this one is amazing again. Props to the team I just spent nearly three hours with blowing the living shit out of giant insects and ravagers. EDF DEPLOYS!

Wow that Digital Chumps quote really sums up how I feel about this series now:

"Earth Defense Force 4.1 is a lesson in how endearment can turn into exasperation. Like the best magic tricks, it's astounding the first time you see it, but a waste of time when the performer can't figure out how to move on."

I really wish they would try something a little different with these games, the basica formula is amazing - don't change that but damn it's about time we started seeing something with a little bit better production values, an end to those fucking ants and spiders, a couple of different gameplay mechanics or objectives in missions to break up the monotany.

Those new dinosaur type monsters and use of colour are a start but come on put some more effort into it, it's clear people like these games, do yourselves a favour and try and broaden your horizons a bit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wow that Digital Chumps quote really sums up how I feel about this series now:

"Earth Defense Force 4.1 is a lesson in how endearment can turn into exasperation. Like the best magic tricks, it's astounding the first time you see it, but a waste of time when the performer can't figure out how to move on."

I really wish they would try something a little different with these games, the basica formula is amazing - don't change that but damn it's about time we started seeing something with a little bit better production values, an end to those fucking ants and spiders, a couple of different gameplay mechanics or objectives in missions to break up the monotany.

Those new dinosaur type monsters and use of colour are a start but come on put some more effort into it, it's clear people like these games, do yourselves a favour and try and broaden your horizons a bit.
uh. you mean like edf4 and 4.1 did?

makes u think...

I can't beat the first mission on hard. Lol.

The last wave of bugs always swallows me. Just don't have anything with enough DPS to hold 'em off. Played about 10 missions on normal, which honestly is too easy. Game is great, but I'm having trouble dialing in a good difficulty. Think all I really need is a weapon upgrade to go back to hard, but no luck yet.

Game is addictive.

Download the free DLC weapon "Volatile Napalm" and clean up mission 1 on hard a few times. You'll get tons of higher level weapons and it's easy to do with that grenade DLC.

Tapejara

The upped framerate really makes a difference. I know framedrops are a series staple, but having the game run well most of the time easily cements it as my favourite EDF.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there good tactics for farming weapons? I tend to only play on normal and even that gets tricky after about 15-20 missions as my weapons barely improve fro the AF14-St and stingray ST or grenade launcher (depending on mission type).

Worth trying earlier missions on hard to get weapons, then push forward on normal with them, then rinse and repeat? Are there 'farming' levels that are particularly useful to get stuff from and doable on harder difficulty?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hoo boy. Had got to level 19 on normal, and went back and redid missions 1&2 on hard. Now I have an AF17 and a stingray M2 - level 18&20 vs the level 1 weapons I had before.

Do you also get more weapon drops on hard? Wasn't getting many on normal but lots on hard.

UrbanRats

Hoo boy. Had got to level 19 on normal, and went back and redid missions 1&2 on hard. Now I have an AF17 and a stingray M2 - level 18&20 vs the level 1 weapons I had before.

Do you also get more weapon drops on hard? Wasn't getting many on normal but lots on hard.

Always play the first levels (those you can beat, anyway) in Inferno man, you gets so much good loot.

Top Bottom