• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Afrikan

Best Buy's website says I have to wait until Dec 17th before they get it?

whats the deal? I want to us my GamersClub discount for tomorrow. :/

Sephon

What?! 1080p and 60fps? Today? Sound too good to be true!

If this is available on PSN in EU now or soon, I'll be one happy marine!

SephLuis

I haven't played 4.1 yet, but if EDF 2017 is any indication you're supposed to play the difficulties in order so you have enough accumulated health from the earlier difficulties to withstand enemy attacks in the harder ones. Basically, starting off on Hard is a bad idea.

The game also warned me this, but the challenge it's also welcome.

It's like giant bugs meets souls

me0wish

That steam leak threw a wrench in my plans to get this on ps4.

Is this even coming to Europe, though?

Was gonna buy on friends PS4, I'm so happy it's coming to Steam! EDF is probably my second favorite 360 exclusive, I hope it's as good or even better!

CLEEK

Last I'd heard is the UK/EU release had been pushed back to Feb next year. I think it's being published by a different lot than the US version.

I'm totally going double EDF tomorrow. It's going to be glorious.

dkoy

Play asia and Amazon UK have it as Feb '16 release for pal regions. If it comes to steam then I'll grab it there on the off chance that my friends will play it with me.

Mupod

I didn't know about the steam leak, might have held off since I'm ass deep in Xenoblade. But my preorder shipped last night so I'm in anyways.

So sell me on this as someone who's never played one of these. GAF is in love with this series and I've always wondered what the appeal is. What is it about these games that is so awesome? Not trying to say it's not awesome, I'd just rather listen to people here than some review.

Ridiculously OP weapons, environmental destruction, massive enemy swarms, silly voice work and cheesy story. It's the low budget game equivalent of a B-movie and it knows. "Wait, the framerate is above 20? MORE FUCKING ANTS!"

As long as you're not expecting a gripping emotional plotline and AAAA production values it's hard not to have fun.

Dio

Banned
I didn't know about the steam leak, might have held off since I'm ass deep in Xenoblade. But my preorder shipped last night so I'm in anyways.

Ridiculously OP weapons, environmental destruction, massive enemy swarms, silly voice work and cheesy story. It's the low budget game equivalent of a B-movie and it knows. "Wait, the framerate is above 20? MORE FUCKING ANTS!"

As long as you're not expecting a gripping emotional plotline and AAAA production values it's hard not to have fun.

IMO it's the closest thing to a Starship Troopers game you're gonna get.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any news on price? Have $62 in my account but I also wanted to buy Beyond. So I'd have $32 left after that. Need to know how much credit to buy as I'm in the UK so its a pain to top up

ys45

Oh yeah ! Can't wait to play this coop with my girl friend .

I will be able to yell EDF EDF EDF while shooting grenade in the distance at the enemies and get scold by her because I accidentally hit her with a grenade ....

So much fun :p

I wouldn't get too excited about Steam DB leaks. There's been a lot of stuff on there over the years that's never come to fruition.

I wouldn't get too excited about Steam DB leaks. There's been a lot of stuff on there over the years that's never come to fruition.
Games that don't make it over are the exception, not the norm. For example I see many people bring up the Halo games (this is MS we're talking about here, it makes sense for them to not be fully committed to releasing the games on Steam). On the other hand, I think people expecting better performance for EDF 4.1 on PC will be disappointed. There will probably still be noticeable frame drops regardless of your hardware.

Krakn3Dfx

A few live reviews on MC, about what I expected for the most part, either you "get" the EDF series, or you don't.

CVuSttEUkAEpvZy.png:large

This is all I need to hear tho:

If I were to stick with a single installment going forward, this would be the one. Some of the upgrades fall short of expectations, and a good deal of the content is overly familiar at this point, but The Shadow of New Despair still represents the series at its best.

The action is huge, the enemies gigantic and the firepower overwhelming. Earth Defense Force 4.1 is finally the game the series has always tried to be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any words on the european release date? Same goes for EDF2 for Vita.

Next year. If a game I want is released at the same time in Europe and for a decent price I'll buy it. But if here is a big delay I will just get the US version - easy enough to buy US PSN credit on the BST thread or from Amazon.com.

I bought Beyond earlier, but EDF wasn't up yet. Will go grab that now

sarcoa

A few live reviews on MC, about what I expected for the most part, either you "get" the EDF series, or you don't.
My review is one of the lower ones. I sort of agree with you, but I "got" EDF three games ago. The joke wasn't funny anymore.

KDR_11k

My review is one of the lower ones. I sort of agree with you, but I "got" EDF three games ago. The joke wasn't funny anymore.

If you think it's a joke that's supposed to be funny then you didn't "get" it. It's an arena shooter with loot.

bede-x

On the other hand, I think people expecting better performance for EDF 4.1 on PC will be disappointed. There will probably still be noticeable frame drops regardless of your hardware.

I'm not too concerned about performance. Should be easy for modern PC hardware to better the PS4 version that still has crippling slowdown in many places, especially split screen. The bigger issues to me is online and local coop. Sometimes we see publishers remove those in the PC versions of their games and that would be a costly mistake in a coop focused game like EDF.

Mupod

Amazon shipped it along with Xenoblade for some damn reason.

Also, of course this budget-ass game has a full colour manual. Based Xseed

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would impulse-buy this right now, but it's not up on psn. Never played EDF, but was always curious.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't understand, why is this not up on the store? They didn't say anything about delayed digital release... Blog post says game is out today.

Top Bottom