• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Dwayne

I gave TapWars another shot, this time on a phone instead of a tablet. I've gotten into it as well, for better or worse.

I also created a wiki for the game, as there wasn't any information available online. Feel free to help flesh it out. :)

http://tapwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tapwars_Wiki

Wow, you've put a lot of effort in! I added the Portraits I have that you don't.
I don't really play anymore, I was really hoping to get to a point where I smashed through the first 500 levels very quickly, but it's still slow all this time later. I got quite a bad draw for portrait order (reduced medic cooldown, woo). Still hoping they do a significant update with new content but it doesn't seem that likely as the game doesn't seem to have many users :(

Edit: have you made any purchases? I always wondered if the ad removal took out all the ads or just the ones between tabs and chapters.

eastx

Wow, you've put a lot of effort in! I added the Portraits I have that you don't.
I don't really play anymore, I was really hoping to get to a point where I smashed through the first 500 levels very quickly, but it's still slow all this time later. I got quite a bad draw for portrait order (reduced medic cooldown, woo). Still hoping they do a significant update with new content but it doesn't seem that likely as the game doesn't seem to have many users :(

Edit: have you made any purchases? I always wondered if the ad removal took out all the ads or just the ones between tabs and chapters.

Thanks for pitching in! I just added a Classes page, and will probably throw up a few more pages when time permits.

Man, I'd like to get that Portrait that reduces the cost of future Portraits. It's a shame you can't buy them in a specific order, as getting only bad ones for your first few runs would significantly slow progression.

I bought the $9 pack that removes ads. It's definitely a good buy if you intend to keep playing. There are zero ads now, though you still have to click the Medals multiplier every four hours and the Acquire Free Diamonds button every hour. But you get the bonuses right away, which is way nicer than having to watch videos.

Yeah, I notice I'm always pretty highly ranked in each event. The devs should work harder to get the word out about the game, though I fear it will only appeal to the EDF faithful (a relatively small subset of gamers) anyway.

bede-x

130 hours in, playing co op with the girlfriend, and finished about 70% of the levels on inferno, some of these missions are so hard! Waterside Bugs and Fleet Below are giving us an impossible time.

One of the great things about EDF is that it's actually hard on the higher difficulties, unlike most modern games. That said with the proper strategy many supposedly difficult missions can be surprisingly easy. This is how I do something like the Fleet Below:

http://youtu.be/mDIfJD_CMGk

Dwayne

Thanks for pitching in! I just added a Classes page, and will probably throw up a few more pages when time permits.

Man, I'd like to get that Portrait that reduces the cost of future Portraits. It's a shame you can't buy them in a specific order, as getting only bad ones for your first few runs would significantly slow progression.

I bought the $9 pack that removes ads. It's definitely a good buy if you intend to keep playing. There are zero ads now, though you still have to click the Medals multiplier every four hours and the Acquire Free Diamonds button every hour. But you get the bonuses right away, which is way nicer than having to watch videos.

Yeah, I notice I'm always pretty highly ranked in each event. The devs should work harder to get the word out about the game, though I fear it will only appeal to the EDF faithful (a relatively small subset of gamers) anyway.

Wow didn't expect them to remove the incentivised videos! I might bite. The problem I have at the moment is the cost of the next portrait is 2-3 dimisses away, and it's probably going to be crap anyway. The drive to do that is super low.
The portrait to reduce costs isn't great, it goes up 2% at a time.

Do you have a particular strategy? This last time around I tried playing without NPC characters but I don't think it made that much difference. I also skip unlocking all the skips I don't use like Medic, so I won't get them when a transport helicopter comes.

eastx

Wow didn't expect them to remove the incentivised videos! I might bite. The problem I have at the moment is the cost of the next portrait is 2-3 dismisses away, and it's probably going to be crap anyway. The drive to do that is super low.
The portrait to reduce costs isn't great, it goes up 2% at a time.

Do you have a particular strategy? This last time around I tried playing without NPC characters but I don't think it made that much difference. I also skip unlocking all the skips I don't use like Medic, so I won't get them when a transport helicopter comes.

Yeah, Medic is worthless. All the rest seem to be generally worthwhile, though I could see focusing on only the ones that increase the main character's DPS and Medals gain.

Only upgrading your character *is* faster than spreading upgrades between everybody, assuming you can actively tap the whole time. I don't like to keep tapping for too long, so I usually upgrade everyone.

The only other important tip I can think of is to play as the Fencer. His bonus is way more effective than everyone else's. Also, if you reduce the number of levels between bosses to 6 or 7, you can clear several bosses without a power-up running out.

Besides better control over the Portrait system, I wish we had a way to automatically upgrade armor levels. It's so annoying when I forget to upgrade everyone for a few minutes and then they get killed.

Dwayne

Besides better control over the Portrait system, I wish we had a way to automatically upgrade armor levels. It's so annoying when I forget to upgrade everyone for a few minutes and then they get killed.

Or, let us upgrade them when everyone is dead, rather than the brief window before they get wiped again. It's a bit silly.
I decided to dismiss, I had 101 fragments. My next portrait is 185 fragments, so I invested all 101 in the fragment cost reducing one. Now my next portrait is 173 fragments. Sigh :/

Only thing worth spending gems on is bonus coins right?

Started the game yesterday and it's already one of my favorite PS4 games. I'm also a little bit confused. I played EDF 2017 on Xbox 360, and many missions in 4.1 are from 2017. Is 4.1 a remake of 2017? I thought 4.1 is a enhanced version of 2025, and not 2017.

Or was 2025 already an upgraded version of 2017?

Anyway, it's incredible. A lot of new stuff I didn't experienced before.
Playing it in local coop with my girlfriend is incredible. We already decided to go for the platinum trophy, even if it seems to take 400 hours, lol.

Guppeth

Started the game yesterday and it's already one of my favorite PS4 games. I'm also a little bit confused. I played EDF 2017 on Xbox 360, and many missions in 4.1 are from 2017. Is 4.1 a remake of 2017? I thought 4.1 is a enhanced version of 2025, and not 2017.

Or was 2025 already an upgraded version of 2017?

I don't recall any missions from 2017 appearing in either 2025 or 4.1. I played 2017 to death so I'm sure I'd have noticed. Maybe they're just similar?

It's one of the best local co-op games. Co-op makes the grind a little more bearable too since you'll gain armor at double speed.

I don't recall any missions from 2017 appearing in either 2025 or 4.1. I played 2017 to death so I'm sure I'd have noticed. Maybe they're just similar?

It's one of the best local co-op games. Co-op makes the grind a little more bearable too since you'll gain armor at double speed.

If they are not the same, they are very similar, yeah.
Like the mission on the beach, with the hector enemies. Not a complaint though. Just wondered about that.

And yes, the local coop is absolutely fantastic. But there is one little thing to complain about. Player 2 can't unlock trophies, or save progress.

Guppeth

If they are not the same, they are very similar, yeah.
Like the mission on the beach, with the hector enemies. Not a complaint though. Just wondered about that.

And yes, the local coop is absolutely fantastic. But there is one little thing to complain about. Player 2 can't unlock trophies, or save progress.

I know what you mean. I guess they just love that image of the Hectors lined up on the horizon and had to use it again. :D A lot of the underground levels also resemble 2017 stuff, but the fancy lighting makes them feel new.

Yeah, player 2 gets screwed over! They're just an extension of player 1. It's great if a friend drops by and you want to play Inferno with good weapons, but it absolutely stinks if you're playing the whole game with a partner.

You can't just say 'oh we'll just plat it twice in 800 hours' because getting all the weapons is so random you might not even do it once.

Finished all missions on normal and hard. Halfway through "harder" difficulty. Going to finish everything with the Ranger class first.
Still highly motivated to get the platinum
trophy. The game is a solid 9/10 to me :)

I was surprised to see, that there are still always some online lobbies. Just played a few rounds and went back to offline splitscreen, because mission-progress seems like not to be shared between offline and online mode.

Super Hyped for Earth Defense Force 5. Hope i can get the platinum trophy before it releases.

Finished every mission on every difficulty with the Ranger class. Still highly motivated to do the same with all the other classes.

Also very nice online community. Still many players. Some with a crazy amount of armor. Like 150000 or more.

Edit: Damn, met a player with more than 500000 armor

Top Bottom