• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Can anyone help with 96 Demon Army on hard. Crushed everything else but this mission is ridiculous. We've tried everything. Getting far by hittin ships, hectors, then nests and hives but the ensuing swarm is too much. Even got 3 nests down before being obliterated in seconds. Please help.. Tips? or maybe join our game?

Yup. Git gud with dash cancelling and you can go incredibly fast with Fencer.

EDIT: No really good videos of it out there... can anyone help out?

interesting, i actually managed to pull off a couple of times that move but because of luck and i thought it was only when in danger. didnt know you can do it anytime

dkoy

If you want to go fast forever, equip the javelin catapult in one arm and a dash weapon in the other. Hold down the trigger for the javelin catapult, so that you're always firing it, then spam the shoulder button of the dash weapon and it will make you zoom like sonic. Downside to this is that you only have one weapon to attack with since javelin catapults are basically non-weapons.

Alternatively, a shield in one arm and a dash weapon in the other which allows for blocking while attacking. Bad thing is that shields have long reload times. I prefer the ion shield since it has the lowest durability expense when parrying (with the shoulder button). With shields you have to dash then parry before dashing again so you need a little bit of timing but you can still spam your way through.

Hope that helps.

Been playing this for a bit-- just started switching things up from playing the vanilla ranger to messing with the air raider class. I really like the stationary turret weapons but I only get three and they don't last forever. Is there a way to recharge or reload those uses or do I have to be really situational with when I deploy one?

Vitacat

My copy arrived today, along with Bloodborne and Witcher 3 (PS4). The backlog grows.

UPDATE: played some last night and yeah, it's FUN as hell. Awful graphics performance issues all over the place, but in the end who cares? It's just so stupidly enjoyable. =)

Ezalc

I just read the other but is it true that it was confirmed for steam? I prefer to play these kinds of games on a PC so I might just wait for that version to come out before jumping in.

I just read the other but is it true that it was confirmed for steam? I prefer to play these kinds of games on a PC so I might just wait for that version to come out before jumping in.

It was revealed in a leak. I'm not sure when it is going to appear on PC yet. I wouldn't mind buying the PS4 version at this point.

Ezalc

It was revealed in a leak. I'm not sure when it is going to appear on PC yet. I wouldn't mind buying the PS4 version at this point.

Well I don't have a PS4, but even then I'm terrible at shooters with controllers so this coming to PC would be a lot better. Though when I eventually get a ps4 if it still isn't out I might get it on it.

The mothership only fires her Genocide Gun a limited amount of times. Stay out of its blast radius and it should retract it. Iirc I think you might be able to destrooy the genocide gun too.

Tried 12 times totally and I keep dying the same way in this same mission. Even went down to Easy the last few times. Nope. Time to drop this :(

I was really enjoying EDF 4.1 up till this mission.

Dwayne

Tried 12 times totally and I keep dying the same way in this same mission. Even went down to Easy the last few times. Nope. Time to drop this :(

I was really enjoying EDF 4.1 up till this mission.

You can definitely destroy the Genocide gun, I destroyed it with rockets the other day.

Mission 33 is honestly a real garbage mission, but it can be made easier if you grind on some weapons. I can't remember the exact name(s) but there are some sniper rifles for Wing Diver that have high energy costs but REAL high damage output. key thing should be to disable the genocide gun before even bothering with anything else.

might be worth switching to another class and grinding up armor/weapons just to complete the mission and then come back with WD later.

also holy shit at a PC version. that's just....incredible. will definitely quintuple dip.

I was able to amass some nice weapons by playing through some online missions. There's no chatter but the game doesn't require more than the barest cooperation during a mission. Jump into some rooms playing on harder than normal and you can build up a stockpile pretty quickly.

Magwik

Banned
Best the game on normal with my group of friends
Now for hard/hardest
I wonder how there's been no Wing Diver to beat the game on inferno yet

beat mission 1 on Inferno with my Fencer, finished it with a single hit point (that final ant rush!). It was so perfectly exhilarating.

That's what I love about this game, it gives you enough tools to mess around with that you end up creating your own amazing moments through the gameplay itself. Unlike so many games that script awesome scenes into them, they happen organically in EDF. Its really amazing in fact.

So I just started the DLC, day of the mutants and holy shit, its amazing! So far it seems like every mission is a swarm mission and there are new insect types as well. Im only like 6 or 7 missions in but it was well worth the 10 dollars I spent.

Additionally I have some tips for getting good weapons. Mission is your best friend, from doing that mission mutiple times on multiple difficulties I had managed to get level 20 weapons that basically forced me to stay around the hard-hardest difficulty range because anything lower was too easy. From mission 2 I had gotten a Balam for my air raider.

Now if you have a Balam and you can get a friend to do local coop as a Ranger and you can go to Crimson Beaches, do it. It's a great way to grind a Ranger. Rangers are the only ones, at least in my experience, that can get you enough points fast enough to summon a Balam. From there just take out most of the ants, and then walk away from the main area while carrying some ants. While you do this let your friend pick up boxes, it'll generally be a good payout of weapons and generally 40+ armor. If youre brave enough as an Air Raider just go out and pick up some boxes if you can, chances are you'll get grabbed.

Another good mission to grind, which is sadly very late in the game, is the mission
where multiple Erginus' and Balams fight
. As an Air Raider you can do this pretty easily, just set it to hard and let the NPCs do their job and collect boxes since you'll have plenty of time.
Chances are you could probably use any class for the above tips, but I've gotten around to seriously trying out the Ranger and Air Raider.

eastx

I also tried the DLC missions for the first time yesterday. They're tough, even on easy! The green ants certainly add a new spin on things. I hear the first mission is pretty grindable - I wonder if any others are well-suited for that.

Does EDF 4.1 not allow split-screen during online play? I loved that feature in EDF 2025, so I'm sad to see it has apparently been cut in this one.

EGOMON

I just hope to god this game was successful enough on PS4 to warrant a sequel as i god damn in love with this game and i want more because there is a lot of potential for future installments

So the OP is laced with MST3K references because the game is low budget scifi? I was almost believing there might have been some kind of pairing of the brands.

Don't trick a fella like that!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So the OP is laced with MST3K references because the game is low budget scifi? I was almost believing there might have been some kind of pairing of the brands.

Don't trick a fella like that!

You know who hasn't heard of MST3K?

Literally anyone in Japan.

Well except maybe Toho's lawyers.

Wasn't the last game done by a western developer?

MST3K skin pack seemed possible, especially since the show just had a record breaking kickstarter for a revival.

eastx

Wasn't the last game done by a western developer?

MST3K skin pack seemed possible, especially since the show just had a record breaking kickstarter for a revival.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon was developed in North America for D3 Publisher. However, it wasn't very good - it tragically misunderstood what people like about EDF. It bombed, with the planned DLC that would've concluded the (crappy) story canceled. D3 also left the franchise behind in the west, so XSEED now has NA publishing rights.

MST3K is great, but there's no real connection. The best you could hope for on that front is that the rumored PC version will be moddable.

Volcynika

Just FYI, mission pack 2 is free on PSN. Dunno why, the first one is still $9.99 - but, take advantage while you can!
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ttle/cid=UP1023-CUSA03131_00-EDF41MPACK000002

Apparently people had an auto save issue of sorts, and this pack is free for two weeks to make up for it.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/697877495962447872

We know the auto-save issue was frustrating, so this free mission pack is an apology for that & a thank you for being so patient with us.

De_Marco

Tomorrow should be the digital release in Europe, which I have eagerly awaited.

Even convinced 3 of my friends to buy it for coop, hope they will like it as much as I do. I have kept telling them for months about the game. ^^
I discovered the series on PS3 years ago and it was pure fun, can´t wait to relive these moments in 1080p and a decent framerate. :)

Would be great, if they also offer the second mission pack for free in EU, but I doubt it, because no game = no auto save trouble = no free DLC.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've noticed that saving seems to take noticeably longer since the patch. I'd be willing to bet their solution to the bug was to just make the game auto-save twice. Which is fine.

De_Marco

I have just checked the store and it has been released shortly after my post at midnight here in Germany, mission pack is not free, but that´s ok.

But why the fuck does it cost 65€ here? EDF games were never full price games, I expected 49€ max which would be the same price as the retail version which will be released on 31st of March.

I will still buy it, but I am sure none of my friends will, it´s just too much for a "remaster", no matter how good it is. Really a shame. :(

Recall

So I've had this on pre-order for what feels like forever and it seems the day is finally upon us for us UK fans.

rDOiFfR.jpg

Started at £45 but it's worked its way down quite well to a good price.

De_Marco

Why is it still £39.99 for me then? :/ I didn´t preorder there, because the price was always £45.

I am not a cheap ass and would buy the game in an instant, but then I can play it without my friends.

Recall

Why is it still £39.99 for me then? :/ I didn´t preorder there, because the price was always £45.

I am not a cheap ass and would buy the game in an instant, but then I can play it without my friends.

Amazon have the price promise. If the price ever changes during the pre-order phase you will only ever pay the cheapest it was. I think for a day or two it lowered in price before returning to full price.

Protome

Got a review copy for this yesterday, first time I've played an EDF game but the first few missions were pretty great fun!

What do games usually cost in dollareedoos?
Full priced games are supposed to be $100 but only EB games (Gamestop) and digital stores sell them for that much. Go anywhere else and you can get a game on release for $80 which is the equivalent to $60 in the US.

KDR_11k

So at 65€ it still has a bunch of DLC (two mission packs at 10€ each and a bunch of weapons for 2€ a piece), what exactly does this edition offer over what's in regular EDF4?

Murkas

EU bros unite.

Been playing it yesterday, fencer class looks difficult from what I tried. Air raider seems fun so might make that my second class.

Ranger will forever be my class though.

Top Bottom