• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Freeman76

Got a review copy for this yesterday, first time I've played an EDF game but the first few missions were pretty great fun!

Strangely I would usually dismiss this game because of the massive JANK, but it makes it more authentic in it's B-Movie premise. Love it

guggnichso

Banned
Hm, how do I summon/call in a vehicle in this game? The voice over in one of the first ten missions suggests there should be a vehicle I can request and then drive it?

KDR_11k

Also the Air Raider often gets described as a support class so people skip him in SP yet he's a very capable combat class. Especially useful: Vehicle drops come with their own hitpoints independent of your armor so an Inferno-grade vehicle gives you Inferno-grade survivability without needing any armor farming.

Murkas

So I played the first mission on hard with each class to get better weapons and the game is even more fun now.

Dual wielding hammers as a fencer
Summoning a giant robot to punch the shit out of ants as an Air raider
Giant lasers as wing diver
Billion homing rockets as Ranger

I can't choose a main class :(

Recall

Amazon said delivery would be today. Nothing arrived.

Slightly annoyed as I know it won't turn up until the weekend is over now :(

Also the Air Raider often gets described as a support class so people skip him in SP yet he's a very capable combat class. Especially useful: Vehicle drops come with their own hitpoints independent of your armor so an Inferno-grade vehicle gives you Inferno-grade survivability without needing any armor farming.
Yep, the only caveat to the air raider is that their weapons don't damage directly on contact. Either you have to wait for a timed detonation or you have to manually detonate them, etc.

KDR_11k

Hm, the Air Raider got some improvements since 2025, now most vehicles have aiming lasers, not just the railgun tank and there's a vehicle you can summon underground. Not the best but better than having a slot that does absolutely nothing in underground missions.

Also useful to keep in mind: Placing a device like the power posts and such while you stand on top of a vehicle makes the device stick to the vehicle, you can drive it around then. Probably some nasty things that can be done with sticking shield emitters onto vehicles.

dkoy

Hm, the Air Raider got some improvements since 2025, now most vehicles have aiming lasers, not just the railgun tank and there's a vehicle you can summon underground. Not the best but better than having a slot that does absolutely nothing in underground missions.

Also useful to keep in mind: Placing a device like the power posts and such while you stand on top of a vehicle makes the device stick to the vehicle, you can drive it around then. Probably some nasty things that can be done with sticking shield emitters onto vehicles.

I've tried this with shield barrier posts and you need to keep in mind that the shield will always face one direction and doesn't turn when you turn the vehicle. don't make it face the front of the vehicle, make it face the bugs you're running from.

It's a damn shame that there is so much tearing in this. I would have much rather have slightly lower fps with triple buffered v-sync.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's a damn shame that there is so much tearing in this. I would have much rather have slightly lower fps with triple buffered v-sync.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed they decided to go with framerate over v-sync. I don't recall 2025 (on PS3, at least) having screen tearing at all. But it hit me right away when I started playing 4.1.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed they decided to go with framerate over v-sync. I don't recall 2025 (on PS3, at least) having screen tearing at all. But it hit me right away when I started playing 4.1.

If I had known about the tearing before buying it, I would have waited for the PC version instead. I bought it digitally so I'm stuck with this version :/

EGOMON

You guys are in for a treat soon am going to clock 150hrs playtime lol
Also buy the DLC it has the best levels for farming armor and weapons i saw a guy with 45k armor !!

Has anyone tried Share Play or know if it works? I see nothing about this and would love to know if this works so I could introduce some friends to this game.

Freeman76

If I had known about the tearing before buying it, I would have waited for the PC version instead. I bought it digitally so I'm stuck with this version :/

Usually this pisses me right off and puts me off the game, but in this case if you let that bother you it aint the game for you. Jank is its middle name. See that tank over there, you can just walk straight through it lol

Usually this pisses me right off and puts me off the game, but in this case if you let that bother you it aint the game for you. Jank is its middle name. See that tank over there, you can just walk straight through it lol

There is a huge difference between gameplay jank and tearing. I love EDF, but tearing is really straining for me to look at.

KDR_11k

Somehow I ended up with the Air Raider again after trying to play more Fencer and Diver... Stomping around with a Vegalta is just too much fun.

Also I like how NPC vehicles make the battles feel even larger (though I think 4.1 also has more enemies in some missions).

How is local co-op? Much fun?

Pretty great. Unfortunately, the 2nd player cannot sign in with their PSN ID to save their progress. This also means that 2 players split-screen cannot join online lobbies. Split-screen co-op and online modes are completely separate from each other. Only weapons and drops carry between the two.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Are PQube taking the fucking piss ? £58 for 4.1 on UK PSN and £35 for EDF 2 ? Fuck me. As much as I love EDF that's put it into sale territory for me for EDF2 and 'wait for the PC version' for EDF4.1. If the PC leak was true about it that is.

Hulohot

Neo Member
The last EDf I properly played was 2017 and I'm loving 4.1. But could someone explain how my favourite weapon from that game, the turrets work. I'm playing as a ranger and was expecting to unlock the turrets for that class but a Google tells me you can use turrets as the air raider class. I'm still pretty early on but does the ranger get to use turrets at all or should I change class to the air raider? I chose the ranger based on my experiences with 2017 and didn't consider some of my favourite weapons like turrets and tnt being locked away from the ranger.

Are PQube taking the fucking piss ? £58 for 4.1 on UK PSN and £35 for EDF 2 ? Fuck me. As much as I love EDF that's put it into sale territory for me for EDF2 and 'wait for the PC version' for EDF4.1. If the PC leak was true about it that is.

What the hell? That has to be a PSN fuck up. A physical copy is half that price.

eastx

DLC 2 starts out easier than DLC 1. But it still has that horrible mission with the three extra-fast drop ships that first appeared in the EDF 2025 DLC. It took my team forever to beat.

Have you checked the price again? Here in Australia it's digital only and launched at aud$100 which is nonsense. A fortnight or so later the price just suddenly dropped to aud$77 and stayed there.

Since this has been bumped, I was telling a friend tge other day how awesome a Division style EDF would be. Am I alone in thinking that?

Not sure what happened, but earlier this week I just got the itch to play EDF. Stayed up to 3am last night farming levels. One of my friends who is a veteran of the game/series played with us and gave us some game changing tips. Man, those Air Raider mechs (not just the giant one).

Ok, so I just started playing this on Friday evening . This is my first EDF game.

I've put around 15 hours into it since. This game is amazing. I think I might have to force myself to take a break for a few days, because this feels like an addiction. It is so much fun. Everything about this reminds me why I started playing video games in the first place. It's an absolute joy!

I just finished level 40, I believe. Hopefully it's not over anytime soon, because this is just...wow.

Dwayne

Anyone playing Tap Wars: Earth Defense Force 4.1 on iOS/Android? It's a Tap Titans clone, with some minor changes and heavy EDF theming. Curious to know what Hero's Portraits are available if anyone has got that far. I have #17 "Lower the number of 'Fragments of Hope' required to unlock a 'Portrait' by 2% / DMG +100%)" which is total crap, at least in the early game.

eastx

Has anybody tried EDF 4. with Boost Mode on the PlayStation 4 pro? Would love a frame rate and loading time comparison.

Anyone playing Tap Wars: Earth Defense Force 4.1 on iOS/Android? It's a Tap Titans clone, with some minor changes and heavy EDF theming. Curious to know what Hero's Portraits are available if anyone has got that far. I have #17 "Lower the number of 'Fragments of Hope' required to unlock a 'Portrait' by 2% / DMG +100%)" which is total crap, at least in the early game.

I tried it and could find no reason to continue playing. And I say this as someone who loves Clicker Heroes... But then again, I use autofire when playing that one.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Will try out the iOS EDF, thanks for the heads up about that.

130 hours in, playing co op with the girlfriend, and finished about 70% of the levels on inferno, some of these missions are so hard! Waterside Bugs and Fleet Below are giving us an impossible time.

I'm an Air Raider with 3.5k health and she is a ranger with 4K health, most of the weapons unlocked.

I kind of wish they did away with the character classes and kept it how it was in 2017. There doesn't feel as many weapons when they are divided and locked away behind other classes I don't use.

My favourite tactic was using turrets and bombs with a beastly rocket launcher/sniper in 2017 but that's not possible here because the turrets are locked to the Air raider and sniper to the ranger.

Surely there could be a way where we play and level up only the ranger class, but equip the fencer gear costume / wing diver costume and then have free reign to choose whatever weapon combination we want?

Ogawa-san

It's comforting that you're having issues with inferno in local (?) co-op. I've been playing 2025 solo as WD and trying to clear all difficulties as I go, but it feels mission #22 on hardest is as far as I'll go without afk grinding or cheese stages like #11. I'm at #50 or so and I might have to knock it down to normal to keep going.

Hulohot

Neo Member
It's comforting that you're having issues with inferno in local (?) co-op. I've been playing 2025 solo as WD and trying to clear all difficulties as I go, but it feels mission #22 on hardest is as far as I'll go without afk grinding or cheese stages like #11. I'm at #50 or so and I might have to knock it down to normal to keep going.

I couldn't handle the framerate of the PS3 version of 2025, somehow it felt consistently terrible instead of just when things got chaotic.

4.1 is near perfect by EDF standards.

Yes local co-op has always been my favourite way to play the series. had to farm and grind armour on most stages on easy difficulty to get my armour levels to 4K and it still feels a bit useless on some of these levels!

Dwayne

I tried it and could find no reason to continue playing. And I say this as someone who loves Clicker Heroes... But then again, I use autofire when playing that one.
Months later i'm still playing, not sure why this one has me so hooked but the theme has a lot to do with it for sure.

Top Bottom