• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 6 on Steam requires an Epic Games Account to play, game gets review bombed

Draugoth

Gold Member
Earth Defense Force 6 on Steam is requiring players to sing in into Epic Games Store, the result is a massive backlash from players and negative reviews.

klTV1Eg.jpeg

GTVyT-FaoAAuSFH

GTVyT9_aQAA3MRN

Holammer

The bullshit part here is the Bait & Switch. They knew very well there would be negative reaction and kept the EGS account requirement secret until release.
Valve should enact a policy to combat such bait and switch methods, remove the game, refund pre-orders and ban the developer. Nip this sort of behaviour in the bud before we see more of it.

bender

What time is it?
It will be curious to see if D3/Sandlot submit to the pressure. The saving grace might be the previous versions not requiring this so they at least have the know-how.

Kacho

Gold Member
It will be curious to see if D3/Sandlot submit to the pressure. The saving grace might be the previous versions not requiring this so they at least have the know-how.
I have to assume they are contractually obligated to use it.

I've asked before during the Ghost of Tsushima needing PSN, so I'll ask again.
Where is the account info being stored? Is it one file in steam? Or does every game keep a copy of my account info?
I only ask as it seems to be a security risk if every game keeps a copy of my game log in accounts.

near

Gold Member
The last Sandlot game did not have crossplay, it also was not available on EGS. Rectifying this might actually be too much work for them.

The bullshit part here is the Bait & Switch. They knew very well there would be negative reaction and kept the EGS account requirement secret until release.
Valve should enact a policy to combat such bait and switch methods, remove the game, refund pre-orders and ban the developer. Nip this sort of behaviour in the bud before we see more of it.

Does Valve really need to enact a policy? If it happens you can easily refund as soon as the game boots up and makes you create\sign in to epic.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I get that this is “only” platform their voice can be heard and all that but….

At this point “steam review” it’s no longer can be considered proper review, it just complain box.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Exactly. Requiring a 3rd party account, while kinda lame, isn’t something I feel so strongly about. But keeping that a secret was very lame.

And just a huge “own goal” as well. Did these people not realize that a) gamers generally dislike this shit, b) gamers especially don’t want to be surprised by something like this and c) this is exactly the kind of thing that gets you review bombed. What a stupid move.

near

Gold Member
Just did some reading and Steam users will probably need to bite the bullet on this one. The games entire online infrastructure kind of depends on Epic Online Services to currently function. Compatibility with PS4 & PS5 cross-matching would break if they remove it. For a company like Sandlot and a niche IP like EDF, not sure if they deserve getting review bombed for this. Helldivers 2 was an entirely different situation if I recall correctly.

Kacho

Gold Member
Just did some reading and Steam users will probably need to bite the bullet on this one. The games entire online infrastructure kind of depends on Epic Online Services to currently function. Compatibility with PS4 & PS5 cross-matching would break if they remove it. For a company like Sandlot and a niche IP like EDF, not sure if they deserve getting review bombed for this. Helldivers 2 was an entirely different situation if I recall correctly.
Using Epic’s online service for their game isn’t an issue. Like you said, Epic has the infrastructure in place for that, whereas a tiny company like Sandlot absolutely does not. It’s requiring users to create an account and all that jazz. PC gamers don’t want to give Epic their data to play fucking EDF with their bros.

StereoVsn

Was this feature/requirement known before launch? It’s an incredibly dumb thing to do if they tried to hide it.

Personally I hate when companies pull this shit, from EA to Take 2 to Ubi to Sony and so on.

Shit starts breaking on Steam Deck too.

Edit: For me, this game went from “pick up after getting good technical impressions” to pick up for $20 in a year for two.

I do the same for EA, Ubi, and other similar titles with similar requirements.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

The use of epic online services themselves does not require the users that will be using them to make an epic account as far as i am aware.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

This will break steam deck support and eventually the game itself like many MS games and Ubisoft games that never got patched and require old ass versions of Uplay or G4WL.

It’s not just whining for nothing.
That is a good point. There should be some kind of requirement for them to maintain games to some degree.

Kacho

Gold Member

What people are complaining about can be fixed without removing EOS. Your implementation of EOS is flawed.
See here:
https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/news/player-authentication-with-epic-account-services-eas

Specifically:

Connect Interface
The Connect Interface handles authentication to Epic Game Services. It is provider-agnostic, and can thus be used with a number of Identity Providers (such as Epic Games, Steam, Xbox Live, etc.).
The Connect Interface does not rely on Epic Accounts but instead uses a Product User ID (PUID) that is unique to a particular product in your organization.

The easiest way to think about these two Interfaces is that the Auth Interface deals with Epic Accounts and the related social graph APIs and the Connect Interface deals with the unique user IDs that are created on behalf of your game and must be linked to an external identity. Because the IDs used by the Connect Interface are not a social graph, they can be used for cross-play and cross-progression connected to multiple identities and can be used without the Auth Interface entirely.

TL:DR
Properly implementing the connect interface means that the auth interface (The component that requires a linked account) can be optional.

This was avoidable, but it's not too late. Please fix your implementation of EOS.

Topher

Gold Member

lol.....Steam community providing technical support to the devs. Love it

Manny Montana Nbc GIF by Good Girls

near

Gold Member
The use of epic online services themselves does not require the users that will be using them to make an epic account as far as i am aware.

“If you use only EOS Game Services in your game, you do not require EOS Epic Account Services. You only need to use EOS Epic Account Services if you want your players to connect to your game using their Epic Games accounts so they can use services such as crossplay, friends, player presence, and the social overlay.”

The game IS using the connect inferface. The authentication interface does not provide crossplay.

“The EOS features used in this title include "Connect," "Lobby," and "P2P". Integrating EOS into the game was completed in a remarkably short period, taking about ten days for in-game lobby functions using EOS Lobby service and about 20 days for game parts using EOS P2P service, totaling approximately just one month.”

Three

I don't see what the issue is about advance warning. Get a refund then if you don't want to create an account and can't have logged hours in or have people now forgotten how to do that?

Madonis

I think it's a bad decision on their part, but review-bombing is often based on exaggeration and bandwagon impulses.

Bunch of Steam simps. I'm buying more on Steam than I ever have in the past now that I own a Steam Deck.
But constantly complaining about every publisher not completely bending over for Steam is simp status. Might as well ask to buy some Gabe bath water.
btw Atari 50 anniversary collection is $4 on cdkeys.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm not a PC nerd, someone explain to me why having an Epic Game Store account is some kind of huge dealbreaker.
Some folks just really don't want to have multiple digital platforms. Especially ones that are for one, but still require another for some reason. A lot of PC users are primarily Steam users or Steam fans. So, in those instances they just want to use Steam. But there are a number of titles that have done things where they "release on Steam" but launching the game requires an external launcher, etc. People that play on Steam just want to play through Steam, etc.

It's not a deal breaker for me, personally, but a lot of people are really not into that at all. I think it would've been helpful if they mentioned something on the store page in advance, but they didn't, so a lot of people are going to see that as a negative I'm sure.

How is it reviewing bombing when they are all just giving their review of a game they actually purchased. Does giving a game universal praise equal review bombing?
I think it's because it's nothing to do with the quality of the game. When it's a ton of people negatively reviewing something for the same reason people essentially see that as review bombing.

proandrad

Some folks just really don't want to have multiple digital platforms. Especially ones that are for one, but still require another for some reason. A lot of PC users are primarily Steam users or Steam fans. So, in those instances they just want to use Steam. But there are a number of titles that have done things where they "release on Steam" but launching the game requires an external launcher, etc. People that play on Steam just want to play through Steam, etc.

It's not a deal breaker for me, personally, but a lot of people are really not into that at all. I think it would've been helpful if they mentioned something on the store page in advance, but they didn't, so a lot of people are going to see that as a negative I'm sure.

I think it's because it's nothing to do with the quality of the game. When it's a ton of people negatively reviewing something for the same reason people essentially see that as review bombing.
For a pc game any extra layers you have to go through to get into the game is a major part of the user experience. Steam reviews aren’t for exclusively reviewing a single aspect of the purchase. They are for future customers to be aware of things that could affect their satisfaction with the product. At the very least it give a warning to future customers there is something that upset a lot of buyers. It’s up to them to find out what is was and if they care about it or not.

Kacho

Gold Member
For a pc game any extra layers you have to go through to get into the game is a major part of the user experience. Steam reviews aren’t for exclusively reviewing a single aspect of the purchase. They are for future customers to be aware of things that could affect their satisfaction with the product. At the very least it give a warning to future customers there is something that upset a lot of buyers. It’s up to them to find out what is was and if they care about it or not.
Yep. At the end of the day they’re only costing themselves sales with a move like this.

MiguelItUp

Correct. This is just one of those situations that doesn't necessarily "affect everyone" for the most part. As some people don't care about having to connect to EGS, while some do. Whereas something like a game not launching correctly, absolutely poor performance, or something similar, would negatively affect every player that purchased the game. This at least brings attention to it, so it'll be more aware to those that care about it.

Regardless, devs should really be more upfront about stuff like this as it would be more helpful in the long run. Not doing so just allows them to hurt themselves. Sure, people would probably still leave negative reviews if they were upfront about it, but at least it would've been out there. The whole "not mentioning" before release thing is pretty shady/odd in situations like this or similar.

proandrad

Steam should start having games that require 3rd party launchers or logins have a warning window popup before any payment is accepted for this these games. Game publishers know extra logins and multiple launchers are unpopular but they rather have unformed consumers buy their product and then cry that they a victim of “review bombing” when those consumers get upset.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Steam should start having games that require 3rd party launchers or logins have a warning window popup before any payment is accepted for this these games. Game publishers know extra logins and multiple launchers are unpopular but they rather have unformed consumers buy their product and then cry that they a victim of “review bombing” when those consumers get upset.
I could see a scenario where they at least ask devs to include that it "requires a 3rd party launcher for _______" somewhere on the game's store page. At least I'd like to see that, but I'm sure they won't do anything. I'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't seen something like that yet though, considering the requirement to do such a thing has never really been viewed in a positive light. Then again, the outcome falls on the game/devs/pub, not Steam. So they're probably like, "Hey, whatever, we're getting ours." lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom