• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 6 on Steam requires an Epic Games Account to play, game gets review bombed

Three

As I said, I fully support the review bombing then.
oprah-winfrey-shrug.gif

Crossplay?
So is there an Xbox version, too? If there isn't, we can safely conclude that the review bombing is justified.
actually it would be further proof that they relied on Epic software for matching making. Since they couldn’t even spare budget to release Xbox day one.

Three

actually it would be further proof that they relied on Epic software for matching making. Since they couldn’t even spare budget to release Xbox day one.
Exactly, this was known back in April:

They obviously provide a service that makes development and use of their APIs a lot easier for the small studios and in return they require account registration. It's no different than MS, Google, Amazon etc and their APIs for online and cloud based services.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Crossplay?
So is there an Xbox version, too? If there isn't, we can safely conclude that the review bombing is justified.
From what I understand crossplay is between PS4 and PS5. PC crossplay would be between Steam and EGS. If crossplay was enabled between console and PC, Sandlot/D3 would have to pay a fee to Sony to enable that and console users would probably need an EGS account too.

I don't get it, it's a minor inconvenience if anything. And if people don't want to be inconvenienced in a small way, don't buy the game - especially if the Dev was up front with the requirements before the release date.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Dyson isn't an online game. Amazon is doing just that with its online products like Alexa, Ring, Kindle, etc. Who's review bombing those?
That isn't exactly the same. The same would be if Dyson also required me to make an account to use the vacuum after I already had already purchased it from my Amazon account. Amazon owns Ring, etc... Of course I have to use their service.

Last edited:

Three

That isn't exactly the same. The same would be if Dyson also required me to make an account to use the vacuum after I already had already purchased it from my Amazon account. Amazon owns Ring, etc... Of course I have to use their service.
Good point but they also sell other products on Amazon that ask for other accounts too like Android phones, Nest thermostats, physical games, or whatever. Most product pages don't even have yellow warnings like Steam does saying a third party account is required. The ones that "nobody pays attention to" for one game but notices it wasn't there when it doesn't let them play from the getgo on another.

I don't like account registrations as much as the next guy but I dont consider the mostly negative reviews to be representative of the game either just because somebody hates Epic (not even account registration in general going by their library/other reviews).
It would be like somebody going and giving Nokia's windows phones negative reviews because of some hatred for MS and not due to any gripe with the product itself.

Interfectum

Gold Member
I'm not a PC nerd, someone explain to me why having an Epic Game Store account is some kind of huge dealbreaker.
There are so many games being released every day. Literally anything that annoys the consumer is a potential dealbreaker now because competition in gaming has never been so fierce. Developers and publishers are quickly learning you can't shove their tech or ideology down gamer's throats and easily get away with it anymore. Most gamers will just move on to the next thing.

stop forcing people to make an account for every game dwv/publisher and the review bombs stop.

otherwise good on them
They should stop making games then just so idiots don’t have to download a launcher.
Exactly, this was known back in April:

They obviously provide a service that makes development and use of their APIs a lot easier for the small studios and in return they require account registration. It's no different than MS, Google, Amazon etc and their APIs for online and cloud based services.

Juza

Guys, you're mixing up Epic Online Service with making a real Epic account. Lots of games already use EOS, like The First Descendant, to easily enable crossplay.

You don't have to create an account or anything, and nobody has had issues with it, despite the fact that it behaves like malware and blocking mods.

But when a developer wants me to make a third party account, even though there's no real reason for it, I can only assume they just want to boost Epic's AU numbers or something

rm082e

User reviews exist for the audience to express their opinion about the product. If they don't like some aspect of the product, and they want to make their opinion heard, that's kind of the entire point here. This is "working as intended".

If you as a potential buyer don't find these reviews helpful, then ignore them. No one is forcing you to read the reviews or consider the overall scoring. If you don't agree that this is a problem, then give the game a good review and make your voice heard. Or don't.

If the Dev/Publisher doesn't like getting review bombed, they shouldn't do the things that get games review bombed. There was a very high profile case of this earlier in the year with Helldivers 2. Anyone who's putting out a game should know better.

Top Bottom